Chapter 4 : The misunderstanding
1k 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What happened to him?" A nurse inquired, seeing Cale in such a state. They carried Cale into the school infirmary, which was located in the office hall, by both shoulders.

"He—

"He felt sick because of the heat outside," Brian was going to add about Cale's trauma, but Alex stopped him off as he spoke to the nurse on Brian's behalf.

When their gazes met, Brian stared in Alex's direction, and Alex gestured with his eyes for Brian to remain silent for the time being.

The Medical Professional then removed Cale's shirt and placed a thermometer under his armpits to monitor his temperature.

"He's burning." She then took a syringe from a neighboring door, dosed the drug, and injected the serum into his wrist.

After wrapping a blanket around his body, the nurse turned to face Brian and stated, "He has a fever, and I've given him medication to bring it down rapidly. Stay at his side if you can." As she walks away, she adds, "I'm heading to the office to call his house."

Brian then walks over to an adjacent sofa that was put exactly next to the bed where Cal was sleeping. He flings himself at it.

"Alex, you should leave. Thank you for your assistance with everything." He says this while covering his face with his left hand and not looking at Alex, who was standing in front of him attempting to say something.

"No, don't be concerned. We are, after all, friends, aren't we?"

Brian did not respond.

"I'll remain here with you until Cale wakes up," Alex replies, taking a seat in front of Cale's bed.

"Thank you," Brian replied slowly, peering through his arms that were covering his face.

...

Catherine's friends were in a state of worry since they had no idea Cale would turn out this way.

"Catherine, we were—"

"Davy, you have no right to excuse your actions, and neither do you two." I only brought him to relieve him, and you fucking traumatized him. "Do you comprehend what you've done?" Catherine yelled angrily at them as the three lads glanced at each other with frightened looks.

"Calm down, Cathy. It's not their fault he passed out unexpectedly. "All they did was laugh at him. But I agree that they went a little too far, which is why they'll have to apologize to Cale." Janet spoke while the lads nodded, their cheeks drained.

Catherine then rose from the ground and began walking towards the school's office hall.

"Where are you going, Cathy?" Janet trailed after Catherine, clutching her hand.

"Would you like to come with me to do things right?" stated Catherine Observing Janet's eyes

"Well, I believe I was also to blame. Let's get going."

...

"Hmm. The fever appears to have subsided, but don't get too excited. You must continue to take the medications that I have recommended. Now take a breather. When I awoke, I was lying on a bed in the infirmary, with Alex and Brian beside me.

"That's something I'll keep in mind. Miss, I appreciate your assistance."

"Don't be concerned about it. I've also told them that you're unwell at home and that your sister is on her way."

After she went, Brian drew closer to me and began asking many of the things I had thought he would.

"Cale, what happened there? Please explain everything in full."

"It's nothing major; you don't need to be concerned."

"What exactly are you saying, bro?" "It's clear you were caught away by the look I observed in the yard."

I turned to my right and saw Alex, who was also waiting for a suitable response.

I sighed and told them what had transpired during the chat in the garden.

Brian became enraged after hearing all of this and resolved to teach them a lesson. But I stopped him and warned him not to do anything stupid.

"Brian, you and I both know they weren't attempting to offend me; they were just making fun of me, but not maliciously, which is why I don't hold any grudges against them."

"But does that make them completely innocent? ... We should file a complaint with the headmaster's office."

"No, I believe that is a horrible decision. Complaining about it will result in a school-wide inquiry, which will be "troublesome for all of us," Alex stated.

"So you're suggesting that we simply sit here —

"None of it is necessary. I'm not going to complain to them. Brian, this is our first day of school; let's see what happens. It's already damaged as a result of my actions. Because of me, yes. I couldn't take the jokes and was overwhelmed by previous shocks. They are flawless, and you are fully aware of this."

Brian remained silent and sank into a neighboring chair.

"Fine"

I smiled at Brian and turned to face Alex.

"Alex, I appreciate all of your assistance, and I'm sorry you had to witness all of this."

When Alex noticed this, I bent my head from the bed.

"That isn't necessary, Cale. After all, if a classmate is in distress, I owe it to him to assist him." He smiled as he finished his remarks, and I returned the smile.

....

"CALE," a girl in a wraparound garment with silver hair like Cale and a gorgeous white complexion and face, runs toward me as she enters the infirmary.

"Stacy?"

Stacy wrapped her lovely arms around me and squeezed me passionately.

"Why a mmh* are you here, and you're suffocating me?" I speak in hushed tones.

"That is unimportant. Are you all right? What occurred to you? I heard you passed out. Did these students harm you in any way? Or did this strange child do anything?" Sis scowled angrily at Alex and was going to do something, but I stopped her before she could.

"Calm down, he didn't do anything wrong, in retrospect, he got me here." She knew she had underestimated Alex. She apologized to him, and he responded by stating

"No, that's completely understandable."

"What happened to you that you fainted?" she questioned again, touching my face and peering at it. As I contemplated what to say to her, a notion occurred to me.

I just stated, "I fainted from heatstroke," but her expression suggests she doesn't believe me.

Then she shifted her focus to Brian, who was standing right opposite my left side. "Brian, is that the truth?" she said, standing next to Alex.

Brian glances at my face for a moment before responding, "Yes, what he said is correct. We discovered him unconscious in the school garden."

At that moment, a door creaking noise entered our ears as well as someone's footsteps who was heading this way.
After some time, 3 individuals came into our sight. Those were Catherine, Janet, and Lucy.

While Janet and Lucy kept a bit further away, Catherine began to approach my location.

Oh no! If they say anything now, all of my attempts to keep the information from my sister will be futile.

"Who are those girls?" "Are they your friends?" Sis, have a look at the three females, she inquired.

I threw Brian a quick stare to get him to do something.

He goes and grabs Catherine's hand as he leads her out, as two of her friends trail behind them, yelling about what he's doing.

"What was it now?"

"You don't need to think about it too much." Sis regarded me with skepticism, but she ultimately trusted my word.

"Wait here until I speak with the homeroom instructor." Then she turned to Alex and asked, "What's your name, kid?"

"A-alex"

"Could you be sweet enough to guide me to Cale's homeroom teacher?"
Alex looked over at me for confirmation, and I nodded.

"Yes, please."

She then departs with Alex after kissing me on the cheeks and rubbing my head, which was extremely awkward.

"Brian should've arrived by now. What he's doing"

...

"What the heck is the matter with you?"

Brian and Catherine, as well as two of her classmates, were standing in opposite directions in a school corridor.

"How dare you pull her over without her permission?"

"You should not have done this. We were only being polite."

Cathy's friends surrounded him as he began to giggle.

"What exactly are you laughing about?" Janet inquired, seeing his unusual behavior.

There are so many things that make me laugh right now, but to be honest, I'm laughing at you."

"Why are you-

Janet, furious, raises her right hand to smack Brian while swinging at his face. However, the hand was snatched in midair before making contact with Brian.

Janet examines her hand, which has been securely grabbed by Catherine's hand.

Catherine's blocking of the slap astonished Brian as well.

"What are you doing, Cathy?" Janet was taken aback by Catherine's actions.

"Lucy, please take Janet away; I need to speak privately with Brian." Catherine did not respond to Janet's query.  Looked at Lucy, who was watching everything silently.

Lucy then leaves, clutching Janet's hand, leaving Brian and Catherine alone. The odd thing was that Janet did not object to Lucy taking her.

...

"First and foremost, please accept my apologies on behalf of my friend Janet." Catherine bowed down towards Brian, who was astonished to witness this.

"Please refrain from doing this. You don't have to apologize since she didn't hit me."

"Even if what you claim is accurate, it cannot be unseen that she was going to attack you." Brian is perplexed as to why she is siding with him and disparaging her friend.

"The main reason I've come here is because of what happened to Cale not long ago." Brian's normally relaxed countenance became tense as he heard Catherine's comments, which reminded him of the incident in the garden.
"So what, if you want to prove that you didn't do anything wrong? Well, if you are thinking that I'll satisfy you, go ahead; I'm all ears, "Brian stated.

When he looked in Catherine's direction, he noticed small drops of water were coming from her eyes.

Because she had a fair complexion, her face became bright red as she sobbed.

Why is she sobbing? Brian pondered.

"What's the matter with you crying?" Brian inquired, cautiously. Brian, though, is considerably gentler than he appears. When he sees individuals in distress, he constantly attempts to help them by providing assistance. So consider what happened to that one kind guy who made everyone happy but ended up harming someone.

"I, sob*, I'm sob*, sorry, I didn't realize this was going to happen, sob*." She remarked as numerous streams of tears flowed from her eyes.

Brian, witnessing this, was torn and confused at what he had done to her without knowing the full tale.

Cale earlier asserted that it was those boys, not Catherine, who put him in that scenario.
He reflected on what he had done with remorse.

"Don't cry any longer; I know you didn't mean to hurt Cal, and I apologize for blaming you." So don't feel bad about it anymore. Please, no more tears."

"No, it's all my fault." "I should sob* and stop them if I do." Sob* This would never have occurred." As she heard Brian's remarks, instead of ceasing sobbing, she blamed herself even more.

"Please, please, I'm, sob*, Sorry—

Before Catherine could say anything, Brian drew her into his arms, embraced her tightly, and spoke in her ears, causing her to stop crying.

"Stop sobbing!" I know you didn't do anything awful on purpose, so quit blaming yourself. "As I already stated, I am also sorry."

Hearing Brian's comments helped her relax, and she threw her arms around him and whispered, "Thank you."

.......

A few minutes later, sis arrived at the infirmary with my homeroom teacher, Miss Natalie, and inspected me, wondering what had occurred.

I told her the same thing I had previously told my sister.

She then whispered a few words to my sister privately before leaving.

Then Alex walked around to my side and assisted me in standing. I was really weak as a result of the fever.

I asked him where Brian was, and he said he had no idea. He offered to look for him if I wanted, but I declined. If he doesn't show up, it implies he's doing something important, and I don't want to bother him.

We left campus and took a cab that my sister had called ahead of time at the front gate on our way home.

 

20