Prologue (1/2)
1.4k 5 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I wobbled through the small room, nearly stumbling over the floor. I used what was left of my strength to close the door, but as my luck would have it, the door didn't have a lock. I wanted to curse out loud but I don't even have the energy to do that. I know a lock probably wouldn't stop them, but at this point any form of solace will do.

I tried to move further into the room but my legs gave out and I ended up leaning against the wall right next to me. I could hear screams of panic not too far and even the sounds of gunshots further outward, which I tried my best to ignore. As if I could do anything about it in the first place.

Blood dripped out of my wound, seeping into my clothes with some even spilling on the floor. I was pressing it earlier to try and slow the bleeding, but it obviously wasn't working all that well. Damn it, I probably left a trail.

Let's see, my vision is blurring, I could hardly move a muscle, I'm in excruciating pain and to top it all off my consciousness is starting to fade.

'Great, isn't this just fantastic. Erna, if i somehow return from this alive, I will shove a canister of glue down your throat'

I thought of my older sister who had somehow jinxed that we would get into trouble during one of our travels. Of course, as optimistic as I am, I know I'm too far gone as I am now. 

Just as I was thinking depressingly, I realized I couldn't hear anymore sounds from outside.

'What, did I lose my hearing too now?'

Suddenly, the door opened. I tried to move my eyes to get a glimpse of the intruder, though I was pretty helpless even if it was someone malicious. From the door came a dark haired man with a solemn face, even from here I could feel his anger and desperation. He exuded a dark and gloomy atmosphere, one that could probably scare people away. That is of course, if you ignore what he was currently wearing. It was to a point that any serious vibe he emitted was instantly diminished, it was honestly quite astonishing. More than that, he was someone that I couldn't be anymore familiar with.

My overly stoic best friend.

'Niel?...'

Although I could only vaguely see him, his figure was something I could never mistake for anyone else's. Well, that and his stupidly flamboyant set of Hawaiian Shirt & Shorts with a pair of brightly colored crocs that I forc-*cough* gave him to wear earlier morning.

'Idiot, you should have went and hid somewhere safe instead of coming to this sh*t hole'

 He was the last person that I wanted be seen by as I am right now. I hoped to at least keep a cooler, more dignified final image in his memory, instead of this sopping mess. 

He hurriedly rushed towards me, probably hoping to save me. He laid me down and tore some cloth, pressing it into my wound. He also seemed to be telling me something, but I could no longer make sense of the words coming out of his mouth.

I was initially worried since I initially saw some blood splattered around his body, but what the hell Niel? Since you're being this energetic, aren't you just fine? Is the blood even yours to begin with? Please tell me you didn't do anything crazy again. Also, give me back all my wasted worries and anxiety for you. 

I wanted to complain a little more, unfortunately I could no longer stay conscious and ended up blacking out.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________

 

He suddenly awoke.

'What happened? Where am I?'

Darkness engulfed him, he felt as though he was floating in the void. Incidentally, he could neither tell what was left or right. combined, these two notions would be quite a terrifying experience, yet all he could feel was comfort and serenity. His peaceful environment allowed him to slowly collect himself.

'Oh right, I died. Then... is this the afterlife?'

He was among the people who believed that when one dies, everything goes into oblivion, with no consciousness, soul, or even an afterlife. Clearly this situation is different. He rummaged his memories for what people conceived of as the afterlife, but this place didn't seem to line up with concept of heaven or hell either.

He tried to move, but he couldn't feel his body. Or rather did he even have a body? He could not see, hear or even speak. After trying various things he eventually gave up. There was nothing he could do except think, though at the very least it seemed like he didn't forget about himself or his past. In the end, he sank into his memories, trying to look at his history objectively as a means to pass time.

He, Lunas Merildan, was for the most part what one would consider a normal person. Although he did think of himself special when he was a child. At a young age he learned faster and was relatively more aware of the world around him as apposed to others his age, which caused him to think less of his peers. He matured quicker, but became isolated from other children. Worse perhaps, was that he did not see anything wrong with it.

This streak continued until the age of six, when he first met his best friend. He was taught just how wide the world truly was and his self conceived uniqueness of his was shattered. At that time, he lost most of his contempt towards his peers and grew in a somewhat more positive light.

As he aged, his love for adventure bloomed. Whenever he had leisure, he would travel to various places. He even dragged along his friend everywhere he went, believing it would liven up his gloomy(?) friend's lonely(?) life.

But perhaps the key aspect of his life was his love for fantasy, the very concept of other worlds filled with magic. To him, the wondrous and mystical worlds of magic was the greatest adventure. He became addicted to all sorts of fantasy oriented works, whether they be anime, manga, novels and even games.

 In the end his death was like most other people, one without world renowned or grand achievements. If he were to speak of his regrets, it would be filled with things like unfinished manga/anime/novels or places he had yet to explore, or that... No he made sure that if left unchecked for about two months it would automatically be erased, and the only one who could open it was himself... wait if it was his friend then perhaps he can indeed bypass the security measure that was left, but surely Niel isn't that kind of person, right?!?!

 

______________________________________________________________________________________

 

Time passed by, he thought he'd have gone insane from being stuck on his mind by now but he surprisingly held on, or perhaps it was a peculiarity of this place. By now he believed he would likely never leave this place, and has largely accepted his fate, yet today seemed oddly different. He suddenly heard, or rather felt, a call urging him towards a direction, along with a force that seemed to be pulling him. To him, any change from this long stale situation is a welcome one, so went along with it. Though it's a wonder if he could have even resisted it anyways.

Inching his way forward, slowly and steadily, and finally...

'Bright! Way too bright!'

The moment he opened his eyes, he was assaulted by brightness. It took quite some time till his eyes adjusted to the brightness, but before he could fully grasp his situation, he was suddenly lifted up.

'A maid? No wait isn't she too large?'

He managed to collect his jumbled thoughts, and moved his eyes around. He could see several maids on standby, and a disheveled woman in a bed. Thoughts quickly flashed by and he was suddenly enlightened.

'I was reincarnated'

His mind raced with the sudden information, but it only added more confusion. Why was he reincarnated? Where is this place? Is he even still in the same world as before? Likely not, as he can see that although the room seemed decorated lavishly, it was filled with things that would seemed out of place in a modern world. Yet it might also be that it's a different time, or it could also be some rich people's hobby. While he was wallowing in his thoughts, a bombshell was drop. 

"Congratulations madam! It's a healthy baby girl"

'...............WHAT?!?!?!'

 

20