13 – Tolling Bells
49 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Great! Now that you have your skills, we can go out and do adventures! What badass thing are we going to do next? Trek through the woods to the next town over? Find the orcs and challenge them to duels?

 

“I’m going to find Esti and repay her for letting me stay,” Tess said.

What? That’s so boring! You’re going to be stuck cleaning rafters and thatching roofs for weeks!

 

Tess scowled at the air. “And you want me to risk my life on some crazy adventures for fun. This isn’t some videogame you know?”

I know that! I just don’t want to see you wasting away doing nothing when there’s so many cool things in this new world! At least make some travel plans!

 

Tess sighed. She hated it, but the god was making a bit of sense. She needed some kind of plan here. There was no telling how many of Tess’s Earth skills translated into this world.

It was likely her ranger experience could come in handy, but there was no guarantee that it was a stable job in this world. Tess could likely use her general education to become a merchant or a steward. That would be an easy enough life. It wouldn’t give her the satisfaction she felt from working in nature, but she could remedy that with a personal garden or something.

You could use my skill system to be a great knight! Roaming across the countryside! Protecting the innocent! Oh! Or you could be a great wizard! Or a great thief that punishes corrupt nobles!

 

“Those all sound terrible,” Tess answered.

What those are great! But you’re right, I could make it more interesting. Perhaps a knight-wizard! Multiclass into rogue and do all three! Make your own country!

 

“Now you’re throwing random things to see what sticks,” Tess replied.

Well you aren’t giving me much to work from.

 

“Why not something simple and steady?” Tess asked.

Not interesting, try again.

 

Tess shook her head. “You don’t get to make that decision.”

But steady isn’t novel! Interesting things don’t happen if you do the same thing every single day.

 

“Maybe you should learn to find the interesting in the steady then,” Tess answered.

The woman stood. “For example. I wonder how different chores are here than on Earth?”

Tess, cleaning is universally uninteresting. Unless of course you use the word as a metaphor for wiping out monsters.

 

“For all you know they could blast people into the air to fix roofs,” Tess answered.

…Why did you give me that image? Now I want to see it and I do know they don’t launch people onto the roof with wind magic! I’m going to spend like an hour finding a world that does this now and it’s all your fault!

 

“Have fun,” Tess replied. “I’m going to go see a woman about some chores.”

***

Tess found Esti out back near the bathhouse again, hawking her tea to anyone who would listen. This time, she sat on a woven carpet, bowls of dried leaves arranged in front of her. Many coming in and out of the bathhouses would stop and place a few coins or other goods in a larger bowl next to Esti. They’d then grab a bowl, replacing it with one they carried or paying more if they didn’t have a bowl to return.

“Need any help?” Tess asked.

Esti shooed Tess away. “You still need rest, you.”

“I’ve gotten plenty of rest,” Tess answered. “So don’t worry about me. In fact, a bit of work will put me at ease.”

“Wracked with guilt over using my house?” Esti smirked.

Tess answered with the same smirk. “How did you know?”

The jejende woman shook her head. “Mirari won’t like it if he learns I made you help, much as I want to say yes.”

“You have a lot of respect for him,” Tess replied.

“He goes out of his way to help the whole village,” Esti said. “It’s only right to help him in return.”

Tess smiled. “Then, he can’t protest me helping my benefactors.”

Esti stared at Tess, then barked a sharp laugh. “That he can’t! Alright then, you can bring me some more bowls for the tea. They’re in the house by the stove. Easy enough to spot.”

“You got it,” Tess answered.

The woman trekked back into the house, brushing her hands along the garden leaves absentmindedly. As Esti had said, the bowls were easy enough to spot. Tess grabbed a stack, holding the bottom with one hand while keeping it steady with the other.

A bell sounded when Tess returned to Esti, a long tolling ring. Tess assumed it was just a noon bell, but Esti sprang to her feet at the noise. Others reacted similarly, dropping what they had and dashing.

“Drop the bowls,” Esti said when she saw Tess. “We have trouble.”

Tess looked at Esti’s alarmed face. “What?”

Esti grabbed Tess by the arm, dragging her away from the bathhouse. “That’s the warning toll. The long ring means something's come out of the woods. Don’t worry, the adventurers will take care of it but we need to reach the fort before it closes.”

Tess dropped the bowls and followed Esti. “Does this happen often?”

Esti shook her head. “Rarely. Most animals know not to leave the forest, but sometimes a wounded one strays from their pack and makes a ruckus. It’s usually nothing to worry about but wounded animals are the most dangerous.”

Tess nodded. She knew that as well. “Do you have a spear, or a bow? I can help fend it off if I need to.”

“Mirari and the others will get it,” Esti answered. “We just need to make sure to stay out of their way.”

“If you’re sure,” Tess answered.

Esti and Tess rushed into the road, joining a larger crowd heading for the fort at the center of the city. People pushed and jostled as they moved, but no one panicked.

“I figured there would be more alarm,” Tess muttured.

“Gimu Ortzi has all the villages practice for panics,” Esti answered between huffed breaths.

The central fort ahead was nothing like the forts Tess knew on Earth. It was cylindrical in nature and the stone melded together as if it was sticky pudding and not hard rock, giving the structure a splotchy look. It was unlike anything Tess had seen. As she moved closer, two heavy wooden doors, twice her height and as thick as the walls, stood open for the villagers.

The tension eased as everyone rushed inside, the walls holding against the panic like the ancient guardians they were. Tess walked into a spacious inner courtyard. Various firepits and wooden shelters lay scattered across the grounds, quickly claimed by the various villagers. Others, however, walked over to a portion of the wall laden with spears and shortbows.

The makeshift militia picked the weapons up and marched up a nearby staircase to stand guard.

Tess made for the weapon rack, not about to wait when she could take action.

Esti grabbed Tess by the arm. “I told you there’s no need.”

“I don’t feel comfortable sitting behind the walls without something I can use to protect myself,” Tess protested.

Esti pulled Tess’s arm. “Mirari would spin me in the air a thousand times if I let the person he’d just saved get hurt.”

Tess pulled away from Esti. “Well, good for you, I’m not leaving the walls. All I want is a spear and bow to feel secure. Besides, I’m likely a better guard than most of the others here. It was part of my job back home.”

“Laubat’s testicles, Tess,” Esti growled. “Can’t you just wait?”

Tess stopped, then turned to Esti. “I’m sorry. I know I’m being stubborn, but I also know that I can help if it’s needed. If Mirari’s concerned, that’s on him.”

“Fine,” Esti grumbled. She let go of Tess’s hand. “Mounds to you and him.”

“Thanks, Esti,” Tess said.

Esti waved her off. “Find me at home when you’re done taking on the world.”

Tess smiled as Esti walked off, glad that the argument didn’t escalate. Yes, Tess knew she could have waited like the others, but she also knew she had the skills to help deal with anything that might come her way. This was her best way to help repay Mirari and Esti.

The woman picked an unstrung bow and readied with a quick tug. The quiver of arrows nearby got tied to her belt for quick access and she looped a piece of leather around the spear to tie down as she climbed the stairs. It was time to work on repaying some hospitality.

3