22 – Making Enemies
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement

Running banner for entering new powers that Tess might use!

Form for suggesting new powers!

The form will be here on the banner until the 4th of August.

Tess stared at the ceiling of the hostel as she lay on the spongy mat the Jejende called a bed, idly flipping through her skills in a vain attempt to distract herself from the events of the day.

Novus was not helping.

So, gonna tell me why you flew off the handle back there?

 

“No,” Tess answered. She turned to look at the wall.

Oh, I know what would make you feel better! A quest!

 

Tess attempted to argue but the box appeared before she could say anything.

Protect Alai while he’s out hunting for 100xp!

 

“How is that going to make me feel better? That’s just me doing my old job.”

Exactly! Your job is what makes you interesting! Doing more of it will obviously make everything better!

 

Tess rolled her eyes. “Let’s just get some sleep. Tomorrow is going to be draining.”


Alai waved to Tess as they arrived for the hunt. “You’re early!”

“That we are, young Gimu,” Mirari answered.

Alai rushed over, pulling a laden animal by the reins. The creature followed good-naturedly, used to Alai’s excitement.

“I made sure to get us all the best equipment,” Alai beamed. He turned to Tess. “I also got you a new knife since yours looked so old and beat up.”

“Gee… thanks,” Tess answered.

“No trouble,” Alai said, missing the sarcasm.

Tess spent a moment looking over the supplies. As much as it irked her, Alai hadn’t lied when he said he bought good equipment. The tents and cookware were made of sturdy materials, there were plenty of rations for the trip, and someone had made sure to pack plenty of first aid.

“I can’t wait to show you how great I am at hunting,” Alai said to the two. “By the end of this, you’ll be begging to have me on your team.”

Tess held back a snort.

Mirari smiled. “Before we set off, Young Gimu, we must pay respects to Laubat and ask for a safe journey.”

“I didn’t take you as superstitious,” Tess said.

“Is it superstition if it helps?” Mirari asked.

Tess shrugged. “Lead the way.”

Mirari grabbed the reins of the pack animal. “May I?”

Alai nodded, falling into step next to Tess as they walked.

“So, you saved Mirari’s life?” The teenager asked.

Tess nodded.

“Wow,” Alai said.

Tess looked the other way, missing the blush forming on Alai’s cheeks.

“Father says I’ll be the greatest Gimu the frontier has seen in lifetimes. And a great leader needs great followers. You should work for me.”

Tess sighed. She did not want to deal with this today. “Maybe.”

Alai’s eyes sparkled.

A few minutes later the group stood in front of a chapel. Earthen walls merged with twisting wood, which then bloomed into stained glass flowers of the four elements.

Tess whistled in appreciation as Mirari tied the pack animal outside.

“Father helped build it,” Alai said proudly. “It’s our grand offering to Laubat, to show our respect.”

Wow, how come I don’t get temples like this?

 

Probably because you’re annoying, Tess thought.

Mirari walked ahead, opening the twin doors that led inside. “Come, this won’t take long.”

Tess walked in to see a grand statue. Four faces, each facing a cardinal direction, looked out from the center of the chapel. Each face had different features, and it didn’t take Tess long to realize each was the face of the four gods that Laubat became.

Oh wow, that’s so cool! It’s like some Hindi things on Earth! Wait, hold on. Sorry, the connection’s getting a bit fuzzy. There’s some sort of interference. Hey! No! Stop that! That’s mine!

 

Tess looked confused as Novus’s box fizzled in and out of existence, the text shrinking until it was unreadable. Mirari and Alai knelt down to pay their respects, which is why they didn’t see what came next.

The statue at the center moved, turning its heads to stare at Tess. Tess blinked, more confused than before. The statue raised an eyebrow.

Tess looked at the statue with concern.

Then, as suddenly as it happened, the statue reverted. Mirari and Alai stood.

“Ready?” the adventurer asked.

Tess kept staring at the statue, almost daring it to do something.

A silky, needling voice brought her focus elsewhere. “Ah, Mirari. Always a pleasure to have an Adventurer in the chapel.”

Tess frowned. Somehow, the voice had made Adventurer sound like a slur.

“Hello, Zuzen,” Mirari said.

There was a smile on the adventurer’s face, but Tess saw none of its usual light behind it. She turned to see a reedy man with features akin to Alai’s. However, where Alai’s high cheekbones and brown hair gave him a handsome face, this man looked gaunt. A loose robe hung on the man’s frame like a coat on a small hanger.

“Making another prayer to our God before you head out?” Zuzen asked. The priest shifted, pulling at part of his robe to keep it on his shoulders.

“Alai wishes to hunt something more thrilling than the game found in the sanctioned woods,” Mirari answered. “The Gimu tasked us with escorting him.”

“Ah, our Young Gimu,” Zuzen said. “How are you this fine day?”

“Excellent!” Alai answered. “I’m going to hunt a Kasuge and show everyone how great of a leader I am.”

“I have no doubt,” Zuzen said. “By the way, Young Gimu. Have you thought about my offer?”

“To marry your cousin?” Alai asked. The teenager thought back to the words his mother said to father when they thought he was out of earshot. “No thanks. I shouldn’t marry a pompous jabberer like her. Someone like Tess is much better.”

Zuzen froze. Tess froze.

Mirari quickly tried to break the tension. “Zuzen, are you still having rat troubles with the grain storages? I’d be happy to help clean them out again.”

Zuzen answered Mirari, but turned to look at Tess. “No, but thank you. The last sweep seems to have removed all the threats.”

Zuzen’s look became a glare as he glimpsed Tess. “Young Gimu, I assume this is the Tess you speak of?”

Alai nodded, eager to compliment the woman he had a crush on. “She’s amazing! She saved Mirari’s life and knows all about adventuring.”

“I see…” Zuzen said.

Never before had Tess been subjected to such a glare. Sure, she had gotten looks before, glances of annoyance when she outperformed a coworker, or undeserved anger when she told someone no. Nothing like the sunhot glare emanating from Zuzen’s eyes, though.

“And, of what Caste is Tess?” Zuzen asked. He attempted to sound innocent but the timbre of anger was evident.

Evident to everyone but Alai apparently.

“Oh, Tess isn’t from Baslura. I think she’s from over the mountains.”

“We should be leaving, Young Gimu,” Mirari interjected. “If we still want daylight for hunting.”

“Yes, you best be off,” Zuzen said, practically spitting the words.

“Come,” Mirari said.

Tess kept her eyes on the priest, matching his stare until the doors of the chapel closed on them.

“So, which part of the woods are we heading to first?” Alai asked.

Tess scowled. This brat had made her an enemy and he didn’t even know it! There was no doubt that the priest Zuzen would make Tess as miserable as he could whenever he got the chance. All because Alai had slighted the man.

“I’m sorry,” Mirari whispered as Alai eagerly pushed forward. “I didn’t expect Zuzen to be at the chapel. He often spends his time in meditation before midday.”

“It’s not your fault,” Tess said. “It’s his.”

“Try not to dwell on it,” Mirari said. “Alai has been sheltered for the majority of his life. His Mother kept him from most social gatherings, fearing his weaker constitution. His Father did the same, keeping Alai in the house under the premise of training.”

“Ignorance shouldn’t be an excuse,” Tess said, frustrated.

“But neither should it lead to unjust anger,” Mirari said. “Though, I won’t hold it against you if you no longer wish to escort the Young Gimu.”

“No,” Tess said. “If I did I’m sure it would be the Jaria situation all over again.”

“Ha,” Mirari barked. “I should have known you wouldn’t let that go.”

Tess shrugged. “Not my fault if you make decisions I can hold against you.”

The adventurer shook his head. “I see that I shall have to start hoarding my own rebuttals. Perhaps I should bring up how you almost burned the forest down?”

“To save your life,” Tess answered with a smile.

“And I shall be forever grateful,” Mirari smirked.

Tess rolled her eyes. With a chuckle, she realized most of the anger had left her. Alai was still a brat, but Mirari was right. She shouldn’t hold his ignorance against him. Unless of course the teenager was unwilling to learn. Then she would rip him a new one.

“Hey, Mirari?”

“Yes, Tess?”

“Thanks.”

Mirari only smiled as he watched Alai dash toward the woods.

1