First Day at the Academy
65 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

YQGOnpG.jpg

“Uhh come again?” Ino asked, turning away from where she’d been chatting with Chōji about cooking after receiving an elbow in the ribs. 

“That’s him!” Sakura whisper-growled. “Evil-jerk-guy. Right there at the edge of the classroom.”

It was the first day of classes. Ino was seated with Chōji and Shikamaru on one side and Sakura on the other, and couldn’t be happier. Ino and Sakura had gotten to do a school supplies shopping trip the week before and Ino was now the proud owner of a beautiful royal purple backpack which she couldn’t stop gazing at every few minutes. That morning her mom and dad walked her to school early where they met the Harunos to get a picture taken before heading in early to get good seats. They both agreed it would be fun to watch each person come in like they were judges at a runway show. Sadly, it was more of a large clump of people all showing up within the last 10 minutes before class started. 

Ino looked over to where Sakura was pointing to see a raven-haired boy chatting with the boy next to him, neither of whom Ino recognized. “Well you failed to mention how cute evil-jerk-guy is, no wonder you imagined having to compete with me for him.” Ino smirked at Sakura. “It’s too bad, it would be fun to act like catty bitches over a boy.” 

“INO!!” Sakura shrieked with horror, all worries forgotten at the catastrophe that was Ino’s newfound vocabulary. “You’re six! You can’t say stuff like that! What if someone heard you?” 

“Ehh they’d get over it.” Ino said casually. She had been working hard on saying things casually even when she didn’t really feel it, and her heart was pounding with adrenaline from the sentence that had spilled out of her, unbidden. Ino felt like that was something purple-haired idol might say. “Huh. So that’s him. You recognize him from somewhere?” 

“No! I have never seen that boy in my life. Well except I’ve seen him in my dreams like a lot. But no!” 

“Soooo you finally gonna stop being paranoid and let my dad talk to you?” 

“What? Why would I do that!” Sakura said indignantly. 

“Because the nightmares are starting to overlap with the real world, aren’t they?” Ino raised an eyebrow. 

Sakura paused for the smallest of moments before responding, “No. It’s just dreams.” 

“So did our pledge say that neither of us can date him? He is really cute.” 

“Ino! He’s evil! And you’re six!” 

The bell rang, but the instructors seemed to be giving people a few minutes in case they were late. 

“In your dreams he’s evil! Isn’t that the whole reason you won’t tell anyone? Because they’re just dreams?” 

Sakura froze. “Dang it. You’re right.” Then after a moment, “But you still can’t! Our pledge!” 

“Wait do you even like him? Our pledge was only if we both like the same guy right? Yikes, I’m starting to get confused about what’s real life and what’s Sakura-dream-world.”

“Ino! No! Fine I like him too so you can’t date him.” 

“Liar! You’re taking advantage of our pledge!” 

“I saw him first anyw—“

“Good morning class! I’m your instructor Umino Iruka, and I’m very excited to have you all as my students for the next six years. Assisting me in teaching is Mizuki-sensei!” He gestured to the man standing beside him. “Now, we’ll begin every day by taking roll. Aburame Shino!”

“Here.” Shino’s voice was just loud enough to be respectful. Ino waved to him and received a stoic nod in return. 

“Akimichi Chōji!“

Roll call continued, and Ino noticed that every few minutes Iruka would glance towards the door and frown slightly. They learned the name of evil-jerk-guy was Uchiha Sasuke. Huh. So he’s a clan kid. Ino practiced writing the boy’s name with the new pen she’d bought (purple of course). 

Eventually they moved on to general information about the Academy. “If you need to use the bathroom, raise your hand and Mizuki-sensei or I will write you a pass. We’ll take a tour of where they are in a few minutes. Now as I said earlier, you are going to be learning from Mizuki-sense and I for the next 6 years. In years past you could graduate early; you just needed to learn a sufficient amount of the material and be judged as ready. Nowadays, we have a minimum graduation age, but you can—”

The door to the classroom slammed open causing half the class to jump out of their seats. 

“AAHHHH I’M HERE SORRY I’M LATE WHADIDI MISS?” yelled a frantic orange and yellow blur. Mizuki facepalmed. 

“What is your name!” Iruka demanded. 

“Naruto! Uzumaki Naruto mister sensei sir!” The orange ball of energy yelled at a slightly lower tone. Something about him was eerily familiar, but Ino couldn’t put her finger on it. Ino noticed Shikamaru, who normally was as expressionless as his voice, had a look of pure horror on his face at the level of energy and noise being emitted from the new arrival. 

“Uzumaki-kun!” Iruka barked. Naruto did his best to look attentive, but it was like watching a puppy try to sit still. “You will not be late to this class again! Additionally, let me offer you some advice for the rest of your life! If ever you ARE late to something, do NOT interrupt all of the people who got there on time by screaming and banging as you arrive! Now sit down!” 

“Wow. I definitely do not want to get chewed out by Iruka-sensei.” Ino murmured to Sakura as a ydowncast Naruto trudged to a seat in the back of the class. Even Mizuki-sensei looked impressed. “Sakura. Sakura?” Sakura mechanically turned her head towards Ino, eyes blank. 

“That’s him Ino! Annoying-guy that I bullied!” Sakura whisper-yelled, panic clear in her eyes. 

“It’s ok Sakura! We’re getting answers, now right? Isn’t that a good thi—”

“Ino-chan!” Mizuki yelled, causing Ino to freeze and slowly turn. He looked so angry. “Quiet.” He hissed the word menacingly. Iruka frowned at him. 

“Lunch.” Ino risked one last whisper and caught a nod from the corner of her eye.

2