Prologue 2
55 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

white flowers in blue vase

“Hehehe, the second coming of the demon? Of what demon? WHAT DEMON?!” 

“I don’t know Mizukage-sama.” 

“Eheheheeee,” came the high pitched and eerie laugh again from somewhere deeper into the room. “You really shouldn’t lie to me. I can tell when people lie to me. Sooner or later they all try it, and that’s usually the end of them. Come to think of it, why haven’t I killed you yet?” 

“I don’t know Mizukage-sama.” 

“I don’t know, I don’t know, I don’t knowwww!” The childlike voice mimicked him in a whiny tone. “The next time you say I don’t know you die.” 

“Yes, Mizukage-sama.” 

“Tell me, where are my precious swords now? You are keeping an eye on them aren’t you?” 

“Yes, Mizukage-sama. I have four of the seven with me now, sealed.”

“Why is it that you are the one who keeps them and not me?”

“I don—ah, I mean that is a good question Mizukage-sama, if you would like I can give them to you.” 

“Yes. You will do that. Now.” 

 

Hozuki Mangetsu, the only known shinobi to ever master each of the seven swords, slowly lifted his head, which he had kept pressed to the floor in a deep bow for the entirety of the conversation thus far. The room was obscured with mist so thick that he could barely see his hand in front of his own face. Somewhere, deep into the long room was the chakra signature of a demon. It flexed every time he laughed, and it was suffocating when he was angry. Slowly Mangetsu got to his feet and pulled out the sealing scroll containing the swords. 

“Hehehe, don’t be afraid, I’m only a young boy after all.” The voice came again. 

Slowly Mangetsu began to walk forward, every sense screaming at him to run the other direction as fast as he could. Breathe. Just keep breathing. Suddenly he felt himself dragged a thousand feet deep into the ocean that was the Mizukage’s killer intent. 

“You would dare to approach your lord armed with the most powerful weapons this country has?” 

Mangetsu could not move, even to fall down. His ribcage felt like it was encased in steel, and he was glad he’d taken a deep breath before he started walking. Then, just as suddenly as it had come, it was gone. 

“Hahaha I’m just kidding with you Mangetsu-kun! Keep the swords. You know better than to run off with them. Where are the other three?”

“Thank you for your trust Mizukage-sama.” Mangetsu began carefully, after taking a shaky breath. “Samehada has passed to Kisame. Kubikiribōcho is in the hands of young Zabuza—“

“Where is he!” The voice screeched. 

“I don—ah, we are looking for him.” Mangetsu started to sweat, narrowly avoiding his death a second, third or fourth time. Who knew how many times the young boy who ruled this godforsaken country had considered crushing him in the last 30 seconds, let alone ten minutes. 

“We…? You have a secret group do you? That answer to you alone I suppose?” 

“No Mizukage-sama, it is the two pupils you assigned to me a month ago.” Instantly he regretted adding the ‘month ago’ part, and felt the waves of oppressing force beginning to lap at his feet again. 

“Yes. Yes of course. You were saying? About Zabuza?” 

“We have no reason to believe he’s disloyal yet Mizukage-sama. He said something about unfinished business he needed to handle before he left, and said he’d be back in a few days.” It was the most Mangetsu had said by far and wished he could take it all back. Talking a lot in front of the Mizukage was never a good idea. The more things you said, the more chances you had of setting off one of his random homicidal rampages. 

“And the last sword?” The Mizukage said quietly. 

Mangetsu had been dreading this. “Raiga is still in possession of Kiba.” He said, and prayed it would be enough. Silence. The Mizukage said nothing. The silence began to stretch and Mangetsu fought the urge to run. Suddenly, as the mist swirled, the Mizukage was standing within six inches of him, staring up at him with those strange purple eyes. 

“And…?” The boy asked him so quietly that Mangetsu wasn’t sure if he’d said anything at all. 

“And—and he has not been seen for the last six days.” 

 

It’s been a good life. Mangetsu thought, accepting his fate. I mastered the seven, I protected my little brother, I served my country honorably. The purple eyed boy was reaching out slowly with his small hand. Mangetsu was glad he had lost his fear, and stood there stoically, watching the hand stretch out to him as if it was the gentle touch of the grim reaper, come to let him pass on. 

And then the Mizukage was patting him on the chest softly. “It’s ok Mangetsu-chan. You can’t do it all. I forgive you.” 

Aaaaand the terror is back. “Thank you Mizukage-sama. I live to serve.” Mangetsu tried to bow but realized he would end up head butting the Mizukage so he awkwardly aborted halfway through. 

“You will do something else for me though.” The boy turned his back on Mangetsu and walked back into the swirling mist. 

“Yes, Mizukage-sama.” 

“Our operations against the leaf continue. Take your pupils to Konohagakure. It is a weak, pathetic shithole, built upon the blood of other nations. Aō will give you the mission details.”

“Yes, Mizukage-sama.” 

“You may go.” 

“Thank you, Mizukage-sama.” Mangetsu took a shaky breath and began to back away slowly.

“Oh, and Mange-chan?” Mangetsu froze, not sure what to make of his new nickname. 

“Yes, Mizukage-sama?” 

“I want some heads. Five should do. No, eight. Eight is a good number. I don’t care who they are, just so long as they are from Konoha. Eight heads, when you return.” 

“Yes, Mizukage-sama.” 

“Three female, five male. No… four of each. Yes, four should do nicely. Goodbye Mange-chan, have a good trip.” 

“Thank you, Mizukage-sama.”

img: https://unsplash.com/photos/AWkMRde9BmU

2