Chapter Four: Just Living
44 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The guardians took a defensive stance with their Spear of Protection as the first of the reincarnated immortals were brought up the stairs to the central hall of the council where The Elder is to assess them. The immortals were caged in an opaque cage of Auricalcum and Sacrad Oak, both of which have a tendency to weaken the potential of magic. Many measures were practised to ensure that the immortals won't escape into the lands of the living. 

The members of councils and representatives of various lands glued their eyes as the guardians pulled down the gate of the cage wherein immortals were. As the cage collapsed, a figure crawled out of that cage with its hand facing the ground, he got out of the cage while groaning. “Where... What is this place...?” The figure spoke. Everyone in the council hall held their breaths and gasped as the important pushed against the ground in an effort to stand up and looked towards the crowd which was looking at him in anticipation. 

The immortal, which looked just like anyone else living, was a tall masculine man. He spoke in a deep voice without fear. The Elder looked at him, and said to him “Greeting Immortal. I am Thy will of the Council of Elders. You don't need to worry, we mean no harm to you. Till yesterday, you were caged in the labyrinth of Sisyphus's Chambers. But today, you are free. Do you have a name?” The immortal looked at The Elder and said “I... Don't remember," the crowd started exchanging looks. “But, I do remember” the immortal continued, “There is always a price to be paid for freedom. What is mine?" “It is simple enough, our lands of the living are in grave peril. The forces of the evil goddess Hel are approaching from all seven directions. There seems no escape. Our only hope is you.” The Elder explained. “And because we are immortals and we can't die, you think we can defeat the forces of Hel?" The immortal asked. “Yes." The Elder answered.  “But don't take the forces of Hel lightly," The Elder added. “What guarantee do you give that once we win this battle you won't put us back for another eternity till another battle is to be fought?" The immortal interrogated. “All I can give is assurance. In truth, we can't cage you. Everything that is created is destroyed. Everything is temporary. Everything has a genesis, end, and regenesis. This cycle goes on until the cycle ceases. The only exception to this natural rule is the fruit of undying, which only the immortals possess. The labyrinth was temporary, we are temporary, but you aren't. You will never cease to exist, even if eternity itself ceases." The Elder elaborated in a wise tone. There was silence for a moment as the immortal grasped what The Elder meant. Then he looks at The Elder and says “Alright. Tell me how can I help?" , “We are ever so grateful... Fryy, show him his way to Hiem.” 

Everyone was shocked. “The assessing is... Over? The immortals... Agreed? That simply?" Anjir, who was watching it all from the sidelines read the expressions on people's faces and said “He wanted to experience the sun. He agreed quickly because he was afraid that if he doesn't agree we will put him back in the labyrinth. He didn't understand the situation properly but was stoic. Not every immortal will be the same. We got lucky with our first one, even I was surprised by how calm he was and how he didn't ask many questions." 

And so the assessment ceremony went on. Twenty, fifty, one-twenty, two-hundred and so on. Some immortals were overwhelmed by the sensory stimulations and had to be given calming herbs, some lost their sanity and tried to rampage, some read the situation quickly and acted accordingly, and some were rational and interrogative. No two immortals were the same, just like no two living beings Are. Everyone had a distinct personality and traits, their own sets of beliefs and ideologies. The people observed the immortals, their prejudice against them started dissipating as they saw fear, hope, curiosity and other essentials of living in immortals. “They are just like us..." The crowd started thinking. It made Anjir happy to see people giving the immortals a chance. 

The day was about to end and so was the assessment ceremony. The 214th mortal was brought up the stairs. The cage collapsed. But this time it was different. The man opened his eyes and looked at The Elder. This immortal was different from the others. His presence was strong, indicating his powerful casting potential. The Elder begin with “Do you remember your name?" The immortal replied “Weth" in a cold voice. He was the first of the immortal to remember his name. Everyone was surprised by him. Looking at his made it obvious that he was the strongest of all the immortals assessed thus far. “I not only remember my name... But I also remember the war.” The immortal spoke, this time in an even colder voice. The energy in the environment surged as the hairs on the skin of the people stood up. 

Innkalle!”  The immortal shouted, with his words a huge lighting struck him out of nowhere and left him with a sword in his hand. “This is the legendary sword Zeptos! I will slay every one of you here who imprisoned me and my forefather for ages!" He raged. The guards converted their defensive stance into offensive and with the Spear of Protection made a swift hand movement. “Wh...?” Weth didn't comprehend; it happened so quickly. Blood poured out of his mouth as he was cut in half. His body turned into ashes and his ashes vaporized. “So that is how an immortal dies..." The guard said. “He must have reincarnated at the alter of Odin where we rebounded them. Worry not for we had prepared for such instances. The guard at the alter of Odin will handle him." The Elder addressed the worried faces of the crowd. “That is why we can't trust these barbarians..." Someone in the crowd murmured. It angered Anjir who thought “Well, we did imprison their forefathers and them." The ceremony proceeded after the commotion. 

“There were a total of two hundred and sixteen immortals at the first stage of the labyrinth we liberated, two hundred and fifteen of which has been assessed. The last one, two hundred and sixteenth though..." Fryy said, “We can't kill him. We used 5 sacrificial daggers and even The Sword of Royal Blood but they all broke. Nothing seems to be piercing his skin. He is just... Living." “Fine then. Prepare carriage, let us go meet him there." The Elder ordered.

One thing was clear from this ceremony, even if can't be killed, immortals were indeed living. Justly living. People understood that. They were smarter than they had anticipated. As the carriage left for the centre of the town square where the alter was located, the day ended and the ceremony dispersed. With the immortal assigned a place and a contract in place, a force of reckoning was being made by the forces of the living to battle the armies of the dead. How would this battle turn out to be, one can only guess...

3