Chapter Six: Rotten Core
49 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gjenoppbygging? That is insane!" Asjbørn said. “Since when have you been taken aback by the idea of insane? One might say your actions here today were insane." The Elder replied. “What even is “Gjenoppbygging?" Fryy asked. “It is the forbidden ritual to bring back the dead. The darkest of the dark arts and the only dark art that comes under healing. Only the most proficient healer could perform such a ritual.” Anjir explained to Fryy. 

“It would allow this immortal to be fully healed like the others. He will be able to aid us in battles. Considering his exceptional ability to resist any blade, he will be an invaluable asset." The Elder elaborated. 

“But considering how strong he is, he would become the greatest threat of the living; with power comes destruction." Asjbørn said. “What says if we heal him he won't kill us? If he goes on a rampage nothing will be able to stop him."

“I get your concerns. But we are on the verge of dreadful extinction. If we don't take drastic measures now we won't be around to regret them later." The Elder explained. “It is strange to see Asjbørn the great being concerned... He is the least concerned over risks..." Fryy thought, who knew Asjbørn's personality better than anyone there being his subordinate. 

Asjbørn kept pleading his case to try not to revive the immortal, but The Elder was adamant about his decision. “You will definitely regret it" murmured Asjbørn angrily as he rested his case and it was decided to reconstruct the living corpse of the immortal into a living body. 

“Where will we find someone who knows Gjenoppbygging? I reckon Istefir was the only one who could perform it, but now he is dead so..." Anjir asked. “I can" The Elder replied. “Dark arts... The Elder?" Everyone thought. “I know all the healing arts, even the dark one," The Elder told them. “Take him to the Alter, we will perform the ceremony there." 

“Wait... Where's Weth?" Asked Anjir looking around. “He was right there! Did he take the opportunity of the chaos to break free into the lands of the living?!" Fryy panicked. “Oh no, I killed him when I summoned the blood of Hellflame." Asjbørn told them, quite nonchalantly. 

“For Odin's sakes... He will be angry" Anjir thought. Nobody told Asjbørn that he was an idiot even though they all thought the same thing. He wielded the heaviest weapon after all.

They all sat in the carriage and left for the Alter of Odin in the Town Square with the burned, rotting corpse of the immortal in the backside of the carriage. “The immortal is kind of smelling like grilled lemoned fish..." Fryy thought. 

They reached the Alter, where, Weth was again sitting inside of the Auricalcum cage, sipping Lingoberry juice. “Hey, Weth! Sorry for that... You know, Asjbørn's brain is not situated in his head..." Anjir said. “Where is Hornhead?" “Pardon me?" “Where... Is... Hornhead?" Weth said, with anger in his eyes the second time. 

“You immortal, you hand the audacity of referring to me as Hornhead...? More importantly, you described the lacts of the helmet of Gidolff as horns?" Said Asjbørn as he raised his ace and rested it on his shoulder, ready for an offence. “That attack... It... It was... Amazing!" Said Weth. Anjir's jaw literally dropped. “You ought to tell me who you do it!" “Sure! I will be more than glad! A warrior to another warrior!" Replied Asjbørn, commending Weth's warrior spirit. 

“What are you doing with him now?" With asked while gulping Lingoberry juice. “We are going to perform ritual to reconstructed his body" Anjir replied. “Gjenoppbygging? Bad idea." “You know?" “Of course, the most cursed ritual I have ever known. Both the caster and the subject suffer from horrendous consequences because of it. I have never seen one work on any mortals, don't know if it will be any different for immortals." 

“Anjir! It is the time! The Elder summons you inside!" Fryy calls Anjir. “Coming in a second!" Anjir replies. “What consequences?" Anjir resumes his conversation. “You will find out soon enough." Weth told Anjir as he drained down the last of Lingoberry juice down his throat and Anjir left to meet The Elder.

“Are we ready to perform it?"Anjir asked. “Yes." The Elder replied. The ritual was taking place at the centre of the Alter, green grass lay everywhere and seven mages in green apprentice robes with brilliant Healer's staff stood in a semi-circle to supply energy for the ritual. The Elder took a step forward beside the immortal. He turned to face the immortal. Then, made a hand swift gesture.

With his movement, the blue sky turned bluer, scarily blue. The gems of the Healer's want started radiating green colour almost alien to the eyes, The Elder started enchanting incomprehensible sounds which seemed impossible for a human mouth to create. The wind got faster, and faster as if the winds were getting angrier each instant. Not ten seconds pass and the first of the apprentice healer falls unconscious, soon followed by the other six. 

The Elder, screaming and groaning, suddenly raised both of his hands with a jerk and started hitting his chest with both of his hands repeatedly and forcefully. Blue lighting sparks started coming out of his eyes. Anjir never thought he would see The Elder in such a state. It appeared as though he had lost his sanity. 

Suddenly, a very thick, unnatural blue light surrounded the living corpse of the immortal. It was so bright that Anjir lost his vision for a few moments. When he finally regained his sight, the sky was calm again and the wind was peaceful again. Everyone around him has collapsed, including The Elder and Asjbørn. He heard rasping voices coming from the centre of the Alter.

He went to investigate, only to find out a man was laying there, sleeping, perhaps snoring. The man was in peak physical condition, like other immortals. It was him. The immortal whose skin could not be pierced. The ceremony has worked. The immortal was alive again, in a true sense. He had gotten his original form back. 

“It.. Didn't work." Said The Elder from behind, whom Anjir didn't notice when he woke up. “What do you mean Elder?" Anjir asked. “He regained his form, his body but... But not himself completely." “I am confused." “Don's be. I was able to reconstruct his whole body, but he will always be in pain. Because... Because his core is still rotten. One can replicate all the material attributes of the world using dark arts, but it is impossible to defile nature. His heart and spine are still as they were before. He wo–" The Elder suddenly started coughing.

“You ought to rest... The ritual has taken a toll on you." Said Anjir. “It seems there is a price for everything..." The Elder replied. “Don't worry, I will get you back to the chambers." Anjir offered “Thank you." The Elder accepted. 

The guards outside took care of the other people who had felt unconscious. One of the seven apprentice mages died during the ritual. Rumour spread that the new immortal, Rotten Core, was the manifestation of the seed of the devil himself and consumed the very soul of the mage who died to regain his body.

As the pages kept turning and the beginning of the beginning of the end drew nearer, uncertainty took hold over people's minds and fear overtook rationality. Time dictates the essence of the future, time will tell if this immortal bears the essence of the future...

2