Chapter 19
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 19

Assemble the Team

 

Vanessa’s night before wasn’t any easier than her depressive with a hint of guilt episodes from reminiscing her former team and now she was about to have a new one. At least she now felt assured that she was…should be on the right path. If it wasn’t then she already tried her best to bring out the closure she needed. It was still early dawn, and the sun wasn’t even awake yet. Vanessa tried to get as much sleep as she could, maybe another 10 minutes could suffice, only to result in her tossing and turning while her vision was merely darkness. In the end, she decided to get out of bed to have a long warm shower before Reid comes by to fetch her. She hoped the long shower would allow her to relax herself and her muscles before any unfortunate battles with the monsters or Reid’s…intriguing excitements. During their first cooperation it was quite the handful of stress and anxiety. Cleary, she didn’t want that happening again, but she knew she couldn’t fully prevent a similar situation or feeling from reoccurring. So, the best option was to enjoy and relax her morning all she could before her age tripled within a night. Once she was done with her shower which nearly took an hour including her mental preparation, Vanessa threw on comfortable clothes that wouldn’t be a hassle if she needed to flee or fight. A simple pants and a shirt. Enough to keep her cool and fit. At the mention of fit, Vanessa was no contemplating if she should have something for breakfast while she had some time to spare before Reid arrives. She left her room and made her way to her kitchen. 

“I don’t have an appetite yet…” Vanessa crossed her arms as she walked into the still messy kitchen with the broken island. “But I can’t forget the fact that I’m a human who is breathing and requires food for energy if I want to preserve myself from becoming the food for something else so…some biscuits it is.” 

Vanessa spotted a tin of biscuits. It was nearly empty based on how light it was when she picked it up. And true to her assumption, there were only three left, which was more than enough to fill her a little without being too slow to consume it or throwing up from forcing herself to consume it. And of course, she paired it with some leftover whiskey. Even though she was back as a hunter, it seemed like a crime to not have a shot of alcohol at any time of the day. And since her island was still in crumbs, Vanessa took a seat at her couch in the living room instead. 

“It would have been nice if Reid could help me clean some areas…or I might as well find another apartment for a fresh start. Or that could be saved after the every single monsters are executed otherwise my next apartment will either be no different or worse than this.”

When the sun was starting to rise, Vanessa finished her little breakfast. Now she was contemplating between waiting for Reid’s call or text that says he was waiting downstairs or should she go out to the front of the building to enjoy the morning breeze while waiting for him. Although there were the dangers of a monster suddenly attacking like a lioness hiding within the bushes, but she doubts that would be any monsters however…one can never know. 

A long sigh escaped her lips. 

“My apartment reeks of alcohol…perhaps the morning breeze is a better option. If there’s a monster…well Reid’s coming, and he could kill it…if he doesn’t repeat the same mistake as yesterday. I should make some coffee but of course, I ran out of them, and it would be too late to order some here. I’ll probably ask Reid to stop by somewhere unless he’s such a gentleman to prepare it before coming here. But for now, I might as well use the morning breeze as my caffeine.” 

With her mind made up, Vanessa grabbed some of her necessities and left her apartment. She made it out front on the sidewalk of her building. Feeling the coolness embracing her body, Vanessa closed her eyes and took a deep breath of the fresh air then breathed out. It could be the last or only thing she could enjoy in nature and be relaxed in before the toil of creating the team and research dumped onto her like an ice bucket from Antarctica. Not a minute passed, and Reid pulled over his vehicle to the side, waiting for her to enter.

“Speak of the devil.” Vanessa muttered before she entered the car. 

After she settled herself, she noticed how Reid still seem to be in a dazed despite his eyes showing how he was trying to focus. He had faint eyebags and he was squinching his eyes every few seconds. Clearly, he didn’t sleep, or even if he did, she could assume it was no more than 2 hours. The strong aroma of coffee may be part of her confirmation.  

“Good morning, Reid. Didn’t get much sleep?” Vanessa asked. 

Reid let out a sigh as he shook his head, trying to hold back his yawn even though it came out before he could greet her. It was quite early after all so there was no harm in both being tired and dull. “Good morning, Vanessa. And well, Sleep is a luxury I unfortunately can’t afford. But I can afford coffee so help yourself with one. I’ve yet to drink it too so you can choose either or.” 

Vanessa didn’t need to be told twice to grab a cup and immediately sipping the coffee, relishing the bitter and awakening taste that was coating her tongue. Since Reid wasn’t driving yet, he too decided to indulge himself with the hot coffee. Drinking now could also partly to prevent himself from falling asleep behind the wheel later. 

“Do you need me to take over the wheel since you look quite exhausted?”

“Nah I’ll be fine. I’m not a child you know.” 

Vanessa raised an eyebrow with a smirk. “Really? Your conversation with the monster yesterday told me otherwise.”

Hearing that, Reid couldn’t hold back a whine. “Aw come on. That was yesterday I said it’ll be different from now own.”

“Sure...” She rolled her eyes while taking another sip. “Let’s enjoy the coffee before you start driving. It’s still early and I think it wouldn’t hurt for us to use the short time to mentally prepare ourselves for whatever might happen later.”
Reid fully agreed with her. Since he had very little sleep, it would be nice to let the coffee take in affect and for him to rest his body a little longer. Reid didn’t roll down the windows and merely allowed the aircon to run. 

“Hey, what if a monster attacks us?” Reid turned to Vanessa while sipping.

“Then it is you I shall sacrifice first.”

“Oh wow, we have yet to start our day and I’m already a candidate for food. I’m honored.” A small series of chuckles broke between them. 

“Well, I’m coated with whiskey so I’m not as delicious. Anyways, what are your plans? You do have one, right? Why don’t we discuss that now instead of doing it as you drive.” Vanessa started with her questioning. It may be too early, but it was the best time to initiate the question otherwise the silence or general conversation may bore them, and it could end up being the lullaby that led them into an early dangerous nap.

Naturally, Reid expected her multiple questions. He was more than elated and relieved that she asked otherwise he would have spilled them, and she might not be in the mood to listen. 

“Of course, I do! I wouldn’t be awake all night for nothing. Well now isn’t the best time to be awake for nothing so I made myself useful. Especially since you brought up about having a team, I went ahead to search for more possible additions. Since you’re my first, you can go ahead and chip in. Tell me your opinions about them and what kind of person is befitting enough that reached both yours and my standards and expectations.” 

Vanessa listened before nodding. It seemed fair enough especially with their recent little incident. “Alright then. Spill away. Wait before that, I think it’s best if you share before driving. The last thing I want is an accident from your excitement or whatever. Also, do I want to know how you find…these people who you’re about to share to me?” 

Hearing that, Reid let out a chuckle while raising his hands in a surrender. “Alright, alright. I’ll drive after this so sit back, relax, and enjoy your coffee while listening to me.” 

When Vanessa nodded again, Reid continued. “And don’t worry it’s not from any shady areas. I went ahead to involve myself in a few chats’ rooms…social media pages and new outlets. That’s not all but the most.”

“So that’s what kept you up. Or I suppose partly since you’ll have to investigate their backgrounds and availability, right?” Vanessa asked, receiving a nod from Reid. At least Vanessa can now be assured that Reid would thoroughly commit to his work, be it research or the monsters, he was a person who wouldn’t abandon something halfway. Probably unless it was an extreme emergency. 

“That’s right. I can always sleep later but this can’t delay. I know it sounded as if I found more than a handful of people based on the number of sites and research, I went through but there isn’t many. Many as in those I think are both capable enough and useful enough as cruel as those sound.” 

And Reid genuinely didn’t want to seem that he’s labeling others and useful or useless. In a job this crucial, every second and every inch of decision matters. He didn’t spend his whole night with an hour of sleep to make him seem unreliable in choosing his team. He spent the last hour before his short nap, wondering if he made the right decision. He was still questioning his choice about recruiting Vanessa and even though it was proven to be the right choice, deep down there was still that doubt that he couldn’t show. And that doubt created anxiety especially since he had to now share his thoughts about others whom he intends to hire. Reid knew that he could easily hire them and order the rest to not question his decision, but that wasn’t the reason he created his agency. Not only skills matter but the ability to accept and work with each other cohesively. If that couldn’t be achieved, then no matter how skilled one person is, a death or the entire team’s death would happen in a blink of an eye. Initially he wondered if he should explain that to Vanessa before introducing his candidates in mind…but so far, Vanessa seemed understanding and accepting despite their first impression of each other. His ability didn’t tell him she was lying aside the first theory, but he assumed she wasn’t used to his absurd theories.  

And indeed, Vanessa couldn’t agree more. It may seem discriminatory, but every skill and weakness were essential to the path to either success or failure. They could still train the others and provide them with the best weapons, but if they were unable to provide a hand when needed, then it would have been a waste of resource. Or worse…the cost of their lives and everyone else. That made her wonder how thorough Reid’s research about her was that he ends up with a determined result to have her in his team despite her mental state. Reid investigated it deeper than she thought. He thought of possible predictions and outcomes. All of those screamed around his head and eyes. She wasn’t sure how her word would assist him in this choice, but it was up to her to observe and follow the flow. Her eyes met Reid’s again in a gesture that she was listening.

Reid pulled out his phone to show her the picture of his first candidate.  

“Alright, the first candidate’s name is Leah Prescott. I’ve look through her background after finding her on social media and chatting with her for a bit. Not much to bring out any suspicion but enough to ensure she’s reliable.” Reid explains. 

“So how reliable can she be? Was she a hunter?” Vanessa questioned while resisting from asking too many questions at once as she knew that Reid wasn’t finished with his reasonings.

“Unfortunately, she isn’t. But that doesn’t mean we’ll be at a disadvantage.”

Vanessa raised an eyebrow but nudged him to continue. “She’s a librarian. I’m not trying to be stereotypical about her and her job, just making that part clear. Based on her responses when we chat, I know she’s smart. Maybe smarter than me and she surely has plenty of resources!”

“So…she’ll be in only for the research purposes?” 

“Of course not.” Reid shook his head. That wasn’t his whole intention of forming an agency if he were to hire only research who work in the background. “Like us, she has an ability.”

Vanessa’s eyes widened with interest. “Oh? Carry on.”

“She has invisibility. I feel she could use that when we have approached the monster. Of course, she is still required to be cautious as they have a keen sense of smell and hearing, but it’s one sense down and we’ll take all the help we can get. She can move around the monster carefully to firstly, notice any weak spots. Secondly using those weak spots, situation or environment that could be a disadvantage to the monster. Or even better, if the monster is weakened by us, she could deliver the last close ranged blow without the monster realizing that she’s near it. And finally, to observe any patterns of the monster up close.” 

Vanessa thought about it. Indeed, she agreed that Leah would be a helpful addition to their little team. There was however, one issue that she hoped Reid thought about it and have plans to counter those issues.

“That’s handy…and good. She would bring us more assistance. But to reach that level, don’t you think she requires some form of training? She’s a librarian who works in quiet places. It will take some time for her to accept that role of going up close.” 

Reid smiled confidently. “Like I said, I will provide the necessary trainings. It doesn’t matter how long it takes; their confidence is what I need first. If I were to rush them…you can guess the results.”

“Right…and I suppose by doing this we’ll gradually earn their trust, vice versa.” Vanessa added on. “And I can help in the training wherever needed. Don’t expect me to be that lenient since what we’re dealing is never considered that word in its life. Alright then. I’m fine with her being on the team if she consents to it. You didn’t and won’t bribe her, will you?” 

Reid resisted beaming as he gulped a mouthful of the black coffee. “Great! Now let’s carry on with the next candidate. I have a feeling I might have to persuade you a little more with him.” 

“Lovely. Are you the boss or am I now?” Vanessa flashed a smirk at Reid who let out a cough. “Well, I did mention I want everyone to be happy and understand the people I choose”

“I’m just pulling your leg you don’t have to explain it. Now get on with the next or I’m not listening.” 

Reid again showed her the picture of their next candidate. And as expected, Vanessa took a glance at the picture then gave a deadpanned stare at Reid. 

“Hope your explanation will do justice.” 

He laughed softly before continuing. “It will. Now I know there’s a chance he won’t be able to assist us…well you, in any form of battle. He may seem extreme unthreatening, but on the contrary, he will be extremely handy for us.” 

The next candidate was Harold Cooper, and overweight black male. Reid naturally did his thorough research and concluded to accept him as another addition. 

“Harold is an accountant. Running an agency requires its heavy share of financial burdens especially if we’re supporting and providing for a few people including the research materials and time taken for training and tests. It took me some effort to dig into certain information and, boy that effort was worth my lack of sleep.” Reid paused, giving Vanessa some seconds to take it in before he continues. “Apparently Harold here, somehow has his connections to corrupt financial dealings. We may not need it now, but it’ll always come in handy when the time comes. And before you ask any further, he may not seem fit to fight as much in a battle, but Harold too has an ability and that is electrical shock.”

That too, caught Vanessa’s attention. “I see, so in a summary, he’s a walking taser gun who can do the math for your agency. Not bad Larkin, not bad at all.”

Reid smiled at the compliment. “Yours truly. What I thought of, in case of an unfortunate impulse battle scenario, he could be at the back or wherever that is safe if he chooses too, he can shock the monster and it could buy us a few seconds to attack or weaken it.” 

“You’re giving him the option to choose between staying back or fighting forward?” Vanessa questioned. 

“Yeah…well he may not look much but you never know. That’s why we have the training and some bonding. We never know if he’s better at weakening the monster up front compared to us or anyone else. Every step and choice are crucial. If he’s unable to weaken the monster up front, then that’s when I will ensure he’ll stay at the back.” 

“Don’t you think it might be risky?”

That question made Reid pause. At this point, everything was risky, even when they breath for a second. 

“Yes. But its less risky than controlling them…based on my experience.” 

When Reid’s tone seemed to drown away, Vanessa bit her lip and decided to move on to the next candidate. She did, after all chose to trust Reid in his choices. 

“Alright then, so who’s the final one?” Asking that caused Reid to turn to her with energetic eyes that he quickly switched the pictures. 

This time, the person seemed fit enough to fight a monster alongside Vanessa and Reid. She nodded when he looked at his picture before glancing at Reid again. “Go on.” 

“His name is Brayden Morgan. He’s a firefighter. By his occupation I wouldn’t have to explain to you that he would do with us. To add on he was a football player too. It wouldn’t be to taxing for you to face the monster physically on your own.” 

Once again Reid paused. Although this pause seemed…a little uneasy for Vanessa.

“There’s something I should be wary about, isn’t it?” Vanessa sighed. To her conformation, Reid nodded ever so slowly. 

“Yes…I have a feeling there might be some…friction, between the two of you. He is confrontational and cocky,” When Reid noticed Vanessa tensing and her eyes narrowing, her quicky raised his hands again. “But! After some deep digging, I have safe assumption that he’s loyal. Not to mention he has impressive speed which again will buy you and the team another set of advantage.” 

Vanessa didn’t seem convinced. She had her arms crossed while staring at Reid.

“…well, he has fire abilities too.”

“How ironic for a firefighter.” 

“Ironic but an asset for us.” 

“If fire worked on those monsters, then wouldn’t we have used a fire 

“Come on, we’ll see how it goes for a month and if both of you really can’t get along then I’ll find another way.”

“Alright then…” Vanessa muttered after some thought. “Since he’s team muscles, would he be training or the one who will assist us in training the rest?” 

“Both. Also, since he’s a former football player, who knows if he has some tactics that could be used on the monster? You know, such as positions, directions, and its distance…” Reid trailed on. 

Vanessa may have some doubts on Reid choices, but she was willing to give it a chance. She had to remind herself that this was merely a first impression. They have yet to meet either of these candidates and there may be a high chance of Reid having to look for others if they reject his invitation of joining his agency despite his provisions since he had yet to contact them with the whole story and not draining information. And she highly doubted that he wanted to find others aside these people. On the other hand, she was one to say since she rejected Reid’s invitation harshly to the point of threatening him but here, she is, in his car, drinking coffee and looking through his candidates while giving him some form of support. 

“Are you certain these the only people? Are there not anyone else?” Vanessa hoped he had some sort of backup plan. 

Reid sighed. He knew Vanessa was concerned. And his choices stand strong, and he had to make this work one way or another. First, he had to console her concerns. 

“I know…my choices may not seem the best. I have backup plans and I’m confident with the choices made. This are the best that Missouri has to offer. I know all the candidates I chose have an ability of some sort and that exact reason will assist us better than the mere weapons created and generated from the parts of the monsters themselves. If they can disguise themselves as a human, then it’ll only be a matter of time before they’re resistant to our weapons.” 

Vanessa thought about it once again. She couldn’t deny that once again, Reid was right. The monsters are stepping up their game and they should to. And since there are some who has abilities beyond expectations, there was no reason to not make use of it if they don’t exhaust the other. 

“Alright them. Let’s find them and do your little persuasion tricks. Now that you’ve mentioned about abilities, do you think we could form some sort of combination with certain abilities. You know like the lightning and fire…it could create some sort of explosion.” 

“Yes…yes that might work. We must put that down in the list of preparations. So, aside the trainings, next step is how we can bring the monsters in for further research. I know I said we can take out time but research with those vile creatures can’t wait as long incase-,”

“-In case they develop faster than the start can blink.” Vanessa finished his sentence and took the last sip of her coffee.  “Still need them alive?”

“I suppose we can make do with dead, then half alive and finally alive.” Reid said, placing the empty coffee cup aside. He took a deep breath as he held the wheel. They may have all the plans and strategies, but reading the monsters was a deeper stress he didn’t know how to manage but naturally he couldn’t show it. Not only that he had to keep in mind that there could be a chance of an attack or them getting attacked while finding the others. 

“To appease us in case we do get attacked in the middle of these. I’ll distract the monsters, weaken it as much as I can through its eyes if its reachable and once it’s completely distracted, you will come in and take it down. Does that work or any other suggestions?” Reid asked. 

Vanessa simply nodded. It was a better start than before at least. She knew Reid wanted some of the time to study the creature, so she was a backup defense as of now. 

“Let’s try that first. So, where’s our next stop?”

Reid placed his hands on the wheel. 

“Kansas City.”

0