Prologue – Cursed Sight
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shiroki Girls' Private Academy was quite busy this time of the year. Early September was a little less than month away from two schoolwide events: the field trip and the annual club showcase.

As such, the mood early morning was often good, with students either making the most out of their time discussing their plans for next month.

One person not a part of the festivities was Sana Kurashiki.

Tucked away at the corner of the classroom, she listlessly worked on an assignment. It was due in a couple of days, but she's excited enough to start working on it.

"Ohhh," commented Hikari Arata.

The girl with pigtails put her bag on her seat before catching a glimpse of her seatmate's notebook.

"Is that the English homework? You're diligent as usual, Sana."

"T-that's not it..."

"Hmmm, so you just like the homework that much? It's the essay where we have to write about the most precious person to us, isn't it?"

Sana nodded once before going back to writing.

"So, who did you pick?" asked Hikari, with a mischievous grin. "I know a lot of our classmates picked their parents or siblings. Yeah, come to think of it, that's what Maria answered. And so did Kayla, Shizuku, and Sakiko. Did you know that?"

Of course Sana did not know. She had few friends with the exception of Hikari.

Sana flashed her notebook, and happiness flooded her heart when she saw Hikari's eyes sparkle.

She had written two names in there. Hikari and Kazuki Arata.

"Oh, Sana!" Hikari gave her good friend a hug. "That's so touching. You know, I also wrote Big Bro in mine."

Sana blushed a bit and leaned her head against Hikari's face. It was something that she took happiness in.

"T-thank you for everything, Hikari."

Hikari had a perplexed expression on her face, as if what Sana said had caught her by surprise. Still, she giggled back. "Awww... Thanks, Sana."

They would not have much time to talk further, as the bell rang, and the first period, math, was about to begin.

"In this case... X will be equal to 2. It's easy, right? You just divide the numbers and try to isolate the letter in this basic equation."

While the teacher continued her math lecture, Sana looked on in silence. In her usual attitude, she jotted down her notes, enjoying the peace she found in the classroom.

In between taking her notes, she looked at the bookmark. On it were her and Hikari's names along with a drawing of three people: the two of them and Kazuki. It was a present from Hikari, and it held a special place in her heart.

She stared at it for a moment, and a warm feeling entered her heart... or it should have been.

After the initial warmth, she felt her tender heart tighten when she remembered what's going to happen in a few days.

She felt both fear and excitement.

Her heart was not prepared for her mother's return tomorrow night. More than likely, she would start ranting about grades and all the things that's wrong with the world. She also might not approve of Hikari and Kazuki like how she did with her previous friends, but there's so much more the siblings have helped her with.

Perhaps she can talk about their caring sides? Or how Hikari's always ready to listen? Or how Kazuki always made her feel safe.

Those were things that typical girls of her age never had to bother with, but she was out of luck.

Yet, Sana wanted to love her mother and share the joy she felt here. There's the summer festival, Maria's birthday party, and the school festival at Fuyusato.

"Mama..." she whispered at the bookmark before fidgeting her fingers. "Would you be happy this time?"

"Anyone up for recitation?" sweetly asked the teacher, ending Sana's sentimental time to herself.

Sana raised her head despite having no desire to recite.

All of a sudden, something else made her do a double take.

"M-m-ms. Takahashi?" she stammered softly.

The young teacher wearing the pink blouse looked at her.

Sana shook her head and said nothing before the teacher called out a student's name.

"How about Sakiko?"

From the other end of the room, the girl with a brown ponytail stood up and walked towards the whiteboard.

Sakiko Tsukushi was not the brightest classmate, and her state of being caught off-guard was coupled with a hesitant march.

Sana looked at her classmate, and she found herself fixated on her.

She then turned to the rest of the class and was promptly horrified at what she saw.

Wisps.

Black wisps surrounded Sakiko like a dark aura. They flared up and danced around her, as if they were giving her a sinister look.

Sana covered her mouth in reflex, and when she looked at the rest of the classroom, her horror only multiplied tenfold.

Wisps that formed auras had appeared all over everyone. Ms. Takahashi had hers in a translucent pink hue.

Sana's eyes then feasted on a rainbow of light hues that blanketed the classroom, all emanating from people.

"Sana? You don't look so well."

Hikari Arata gave her a concerned look, and this only made Sana's heart pound harder.

Unable to process her words, Sana shook her head vigorously. Even Hikari had the auras, but hers was a vibrant yellow.

In fact, it was way stronger than the auras coming out of the other classmates, but no way could she afford to tell her closest friend. She couldn't risk worrying Hikari over this weird and very scary turn of events.

Sweating profusely, Sana pushed her hand forward. However, doing so with such a force toppled her chair over, and she found her whole body sore and hurting.

A chorus of gasps followed, and Sana blinked her eyes, expecting the worst.

Then, they were gone.

The wisps that had emerged from the classmates had all disappeared. All of a sudden, it was as if everything's back to normal.

Like nothing ever happened.

With all eyes on her, Sana can only hug herself.

Ever since Maria's party at Samsara, she had this happen when she's thinking of her mother or occasionally Hikari and Kazuki. She had no idea what it was, but finding out was never in her interest.

She cowered as she heard Ms. Takahashi's approaching footsteps.

1