Chapter 3 – Broken Bond
47 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1

Sana Kurashiki had many things to be thankful for.

The first was her speedy recovery after passing out two days ago.

The second was that the sensations that tormented her were gone. She confirmed it by looking around the classroom. Some of her classmates chatted. Some of them drew. Some were hung up in cramming their homework.

But those wisps were nowhere to be seen. And that made Sana relieved.

Those things haunted her, and there was something weird about them. Something about them that looking at them caused her to feel so low.

From what she can remember, her mother had called it "depression" or "anxiety." It was something that she had called all a "state of mind."

What she also remembered was that her mother always told her to "guard her heart" or something, but how can she do it?

Sana did not understand, and her mother's advice, repeating those, at the breakfast table helped little.

"Sana!"

Sana turned around into a Hikari hug, a thing that she had always found awkward but ultimately satisfying.

"H-hikari..."

"I'm so glad you're fine now!" Hikari said. "Or, are you really? What happened last night at home? How did you mom react? Will you be going to a hospital again? Did you wake up today feeling so strong? People say that you should rest for several days after fainting like that. One day could not be enough, buuuut... some little girls have felt fine immediately after, and—"

Sana retreated into her seat at the barrage of questions and rambling that's just so Hikari-like.

"I was getting worried when you did not show up yesterday," finished Hikari, releasing the hug.

"Ah... I-it's just that... yesterday, mama took me to Aspira. We went to see a doctor after I had a nightmare."

"Huuuh?"

"Y-yes. Mama and Yura said that I was crying that night I fainted. It's weird."

"Of course it is weird! Were you not fine when you left? Then? Then? What happened? What did you dream about?"

Sana shrugged.

"You did not remember anything from your dream?" Hikari raised her eyebrows. With her lips pursed, she began tapping on her chin like imitating a detective. "Strange. You always remembered, right? Your dreams were always so clear! And we have the same ones! You know, the ones about the scary dungeon-like place and the monsters. Then, someone like Big Bro and his friends would save us."

Sana nodded. "I-I think I had that again."

Hikari exhaled. She walked around her friend before giving her a rub across the back, eliciting a startled yelp.

"H-h-hikari..."

"Beats me, really. Sooooo I should just give you a massage, and who knows, maybe it will make you better and give you sweet dreams tonight for once!"

Sana relaxed herself as Hikari hummed a tune. They remained that way until their teacher entered.

Ms. Takahashi strutted, her steps giving her a childish aura, largely thanks to her pink blouse and stature. Sana found her teacher really cute that way, and with the stack of paper she held, she gave the impression of someone who could awkwardly stumble like a klutz.

None of that happened, and Ms. Takahashi managed to start homeroom without disaster.

"Good morning, class!"

"Good morning, Ms. Takahashi!" replied everyone in unison.

"How's everyone doing? I got your mid-term report cards ready. Everyone excited to see the grades?"

There was a mixed reaction in response to the teacher's songlike voice.

"Hehe," chuckled the teacher. "Don't worry. Everyone has done really well the first half of the semester."

She then began calling names as she handed out the report cards one by one.

As Sana surveyed the class, she was more relieved that the wisps were gone compared to what her grades were.

She wished that they would not come to haunt her today.

2

Asuka Kurashiki felt completely at home in her study. She enjoyed the comfort of the air-conditioned room while writing notes on her laptop.

She triumphantly pressed a button, saving her progress. She stretched her arms and leaned back, giving herself the proverbial pat in the back.

"Perfect."

She squinted to the upper right of her screen to look at the time.

7:20 pm. All according to plan. Just enough time to go down for dinner with her daughter.

"Oh, speaking of..."

She hurriedly tucked the paper report card into her jacket's sleeve. She had taken a look at the grades when Yura handed it to her, and she was not quite sure what to make of it.

Slight slippages were fine, but depending on their talk at the dinner table later, she might have to change her mind.

"What else did I forget before dinner?" she wondered before spotting more tablets on the table. "Oh, right!"

After taking a pill, she gave the bottle a quizzical look.

What an eventful past few days. A bit bothersome, even. In addition to all the issues regarding Sana, she had to fight through a headache yesterday.

She still couldn't grasp why, and Sana's doctor told her to take a break while prescribing those pain relieving pills.

But how can she relax when she's got a speaking engagement coming up? Dealing with Sana's schooling performance added to the load even more.

"Yura's amazing," she smirked into a table mirror, "See, Asuka? You know great talent when you see one."

The knocking on the door signaled to her that it was dinnertime.

3

For Sana, nothing disastrous happened today, and things had gone smoothly all the way till dinnertime.

Sure, she wished that she could have talked to her mom more, but now that it's dinnertime, she finally had a chance.

Sana clapped her hands in thanks before looking at her food.

With the time a little over eight p.m., she sat in front of her mother, who had her eyes glued on a tablet. Ten minutes had passed since they sat together, and the mother continued to nonchalantly drag her finger across her tablet's screen. On her side of her table was Sana's report card, its front and back pages filled with green ink and a lot of stars.

"Your grades have slipped a bit. From all As to a B+ in several subjects?" asked the mother in a tone that was casual yet confrontational. "What have you been doing when I was gone?"

"I've been having a great time with my friends! Hikari often invites me to her house to eat. I feel anxious around others, but she always makes me feel safe, as if she's a member of the family."

"Yeah, you already told me about Hikari yesterday."

Asuka did not even glance at her daughter when those words left her mouth. Instead, she continued looking at the report card with furrowed eyebrows.

"Oh, and she has an awesome brother, too. He may look scary at first, but Big Bro has always protected me. He took good care of me when I went to watch Yuki-tan's concert."

Now, a frown appeared on the mother's face, but Sana ignored those and continued on.

"The two of them also went with me to the Fuyusato Grand Festival. I didn't know school festivals can be so fun since I've never attended one before!"

"Fuyusato Grand Festival? Wasn't there an earthquake there? One student even went missing after that event."

"Yes, but I'm fine and had a lot of fun! Oh, oh, and I also attended Maria's birthday party at Samsara!"

"The same Samsara where an accident caused an entire expo hall next door to be evacuated?"

Seeing as to where the direction of the conversation seemed to be headed, Sana quieted down, retreating into her seat.

"What I'm getting is that your grades are slipping because you're being more focused on having fun with those friends that I don't even know about. Who are they, anyway? Do they understand what's important in life?"

Asuka groaned before taking a bite out of her food.

"I'm not leaving home for extended periods to work and send you to school for this, got it? Now that we're on the topic, you talked about dreams at the doctor yesterday. Things that started because I was too lenient and let you attend that festival. You know, I had a headache when we're at the doctor and an even worse one last night, but it's time for you to tell me about those dreams."

"Heroes who look like people I know appear in some of my dreams. They all have magical weapons and protect me from scary monsters!"

Her enthusiasm faded when she saw her mother's eyebrows twitch.

"Sana, none of the things that you've said have anything to do with anything important. I go abroad and leave home so often to give you the best I can for your future. Let's not even mention your useless dad who lives as a recluse elsewhere, sending peanuts over to "support" the family."

"Papa is..."

"A useless oaf who doesn't reach high and stays mediocre with that deadbeat job and his friends. Passion this, passion that. What has working in art given him, huh?" she continued ranting.

"But Papa always sends great gifts and some drawings of us being happy together. Gifts of love."

"And who pays Yura, supports your schooling, and sends money for those overpriced concert tickets?"

Sana hung her head.

"There are few things important in this world, Sana. Those are getting good grades, keeping yourself pure, and going on to be an even better professional than me."

"B-but..."

"No buts. You're in my house, and what I say is final. Until you can grow up and make a living for myself, what I say goes."

Sana relented for good, putting her hands under the table.

"Besides, who are those friends you talked about, huh? Do tell me."

"Mama, they're nice people..."

"And how can you tell? The world is full of bad people wanting to take advantage of you. Perhaps they're even part of criminal syndicates without us knowing."

"They're not that! Hikari and Big Bro are not! Same goes with Maria!"

"Especially that Maria. Politician parents? People like those are the most rotten of the bunch!"

Asuka shook her head, a look of exasperation evident in her face.

"The world is a dangerous place. Understand that I have seen many things that you have yet to see."

She sighed before turning to the caretaker.

"Yura, what have you been doing? Next time, make sure that Sana always goes straight home after school. I cannot allow those bad people to influence Sana. You do know how much of a chore moving out to a different town is, and I don't want to do it again."

"No, they're not bad!" finally shouted Sana in a fit of rage. "I don't want to stop being friends with them!"

Her world shook.

She did not quite understand what happened, but the corners of her vision turned blurry all of a sudden, and the girl was taken aback. Leaning against her chair, she yelled.

Her mother, sitting in a posture that's all high and mighty, wobbled. Yura also felt the effects, and both of their eyes widened before their bodies moved in a stuttering motion.

Sana's mother in particular leaned forward, and she quickly grasped her forehead before slamming her hand on the table.

"I-it's starting again... Just like yesterday... Yura!"

Water spilled, and the glass, having been inadvertently hit by Asuka, rolled all the way off the table. The sound of shattering glass elicited a wince from Sana.

Yura gasped, but Asuka turned to her daughter with burning eyes.

"W-what did you do?!" Sana's mother snapped at her. She continued to clutch her head, still feeling the effects of something that Sana cannot comprehend.

"I-I-I didn't do anything!" Sana yelled back in panic.

"Yes you did. You're calling this a coincidence? Yesterday, when you're being so excited to talk to the doctor. When I had to wake you up from the nightmare. And for some reason, last night... Let me ask you, young lady. What is it with these headaches you're giving me? What happened to you while I was away?"

"Ma'am, maybe you're too stressed out. I'll go check your blood pressure and give you your meds," suggested Yura.

"I don't need those dumb meds!" she snapped back, posturing herself in one swift motion.

She got up from her seat and started advancing towards Sana, causing the girl to get off her seat and slowly back off.

"I said I didn't do anything!"

"Now that I think about it... Yura, have you been hiding something from me?" she turned to the caretaker, who's likewise stunned at the turn of events.

"No, Ma'am... Please calm down. You're starting to make less sense."

"Who are you to talk back to me?!"

Her eyes widened like never before. She clutched her chest for a moment, breathing more heavily for a while before turning to her daughter, muttering. "This negative energy... I know what it is. I've felt this from rebellious youth deep into the occult in some of my previous speaking engagements."

Sana looked on, completely stunned and unsure what to make of it. She did not understand what her mother said, but she also stayed firm in her decision to stand up for her friends.

She would never want to experience the pain of separation again. Not this time. Not with the Aratas.

She felt her entire body heating up, and her body trembled as her mother approached.

"Has a cult tainted my daughter? And who's to say that Maria person would not have links to the black market? She's in a family of politicians, for the love of..."

"No! Hikari and Kazuki are not like that! Same goes for Maria!"

"Then how do you explain all those things you've been telling me? The dreams? Falling unconscious and waking up with hazy memories? I know what it is. One of those trances caused by evil spirits."

Sana failed to reply. Instead, tears started to well inside her eyes. How could her mother jump to such rash assumptions?

Was it due to her work?

"You've been given too much freedom, Sana Kurashiki. From now on, you are to stay at home directly after school. Yura will keep an eye on you, or I'll find a replacement," she snapped back, threatening two people at once.

Sana's lips quivered, and she fought two instincts that tore at her from within.

"We better go see a therapist tomorrow, and you're not saying no!"

"W-w-what if I do?" Sana finally talked back aggressively, having made her decision.

"Is that what you've learned from school, huh? Talking up on me?"

"I-it's not—"

"Silence!"

"Stop!"

A shrill cry filled the room as Sana finally let her tears out. Just as that happened, she saw her vision darken, and a heavy weight pulled down on her heart. Likewise, her mother collapsed, in an echo of the scene that just happened moments ago.

Sana recoiled, shocked and in horror while her hair stood on end. The air turned even colder than it already was, and she only clutched her arms around herself.

"You've become a monster! A witch!"

Her mother tried to get up, but her legs gave way, causing her to collide with the table.

"Ma'am!"

Yura helped her up, but the mother just pushed the caretaker aside.

"I don't have a daughter like you! If you're not going to give me the respect I deserve, get out of my sight! And see where that takes you!"

Sana did not say anything.

Instead, she ran.

Those words had cut deep into her, and it was as if all her preparations did not matter. She thought she was ready for her mother's disapproving words, what with her slightly slipping grades, the danger she put herself in, and all.

But she did not deserve any of it. Not to that extent at least.

"Sana!" called out her caretaker.

Sana tried to turn back just before her hands hit the doorknob. She swallowed hard, wiping the tears away with the other hand.

Yura was not at fault. She has always been a caretaker who loved her so much more than her actual mother did.

But just for this once, she would not listen.

She had made up her mind, and if her mother will not accept her, this would be for the best.

She opened the door, whispering a soft "sorry" directed towards her loving caretaker.

With no destination in particular, she raced on, her heart pounding faster than it ever had.

1