Chapter 15 – Kurashiki Resolution
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1

Sana's eyes opened weakly. They stared at a ceiling before shifting to the side and seeing the walls.

"...."

She was in the exact same place she was when that shadowy apparition appeared. Looking at her hands and body, she found the miracle unbelievable.

She was completely unharmed, and when she got up, she felt as if nothing had happened.

Was it all an illusion? A dream like the recurring ones she had?

However, she found out that she was wrong. One thing was different.

She cannot explain it, but something heavy bore down on her heart. It was as if she was missing something inside. Before passing out, she had been consumed by fear, looking for a way out or a way to find comfort in the arms of her Big Bro. Now, such longing continued to dig deep into her heart, but compared to before, things felt... different in a way she herself cannot describe.

She got up, took a couple of deep breaths to calm herself down, and stared down the path that stood in front of her.

Before she can take another step, more questions surfaced. What happened to the foul air and the sensation of dread?

Something happened when she fell unconscious, but as far as she knew, it was to her benefit. Those annoying sensations were mostly gone, and she felt her body responding to something unknown, something that continued to call on her.

Thanks to renewed strength, she moved onward.

While she let the gut feel of hers lead the way, the shadowy monsters had stopped appearing. She once dreaded turning every corner, but after she had recognized her renewed strength, those screeching sounds were no more.

She had no time to sit down and think about what happened, however. Her mind was more preoccupied with finding a way back home. Everything that happened was just a minor convenience that she'd be thankful for.

Instinct seemed to be guiding her to her destination, but it was more than that. In fact, like a beacon, the signal of an ominous yet entrancing presence beckoned her.

Ever since she arrived, there was nothing but the ominous feeling of loneliness eating away at her, and she felt as if reaching that beacon, that finish line, would lead to her salvation.

Now unhampered by the environment, she moved through the halls.

2

Asuka felt like she lost five years of her lifespan with the fall she had. She gathered herself, weakened body and all, before pulling herself up. With lethargic arms, she dusted the dirt from her clothes before staring blankly at the tunnel in front of her.

Looking at her still ankle that's still in the process of full recovery, she thanked the heavens she did not land on it when falling down the hole. How could she miss it? It nearly cost her so much more than a couple of new bruises.

She then turned her gaze upwards, eyeing the hole that she slipped through.

Her heart pounded with each step, as if her entire body was telling her to turn back.

If there's one sense of comfort for her, it was that the sense of dread she had was being amplified, ironic as it may sound.

It can only mean one thing: that she's getting closer to the epicenter of this mess... and closer to Hikari.

Trudging into the tunnel, she observed the walls, walls filled with lights in weird shapes. All the while, she fought the urge to touch the glyphs even as they invitingly shone in a way that enticed her to hold onto them.

"I could be trying to find a way out now, but why am I walking even deeper into this place?"

Deep inside, she knew the answer. Hours ago, she would have only cared about leaving, going back to business, and pretending that nothing ever happened.

But that was no longer the case. This was the least she can do for the girl who took care of her and touched her heart. She did not know what she can even do when she meets that shadow, but things would work out in the end.

That's what that girl, Hikari, said.

It was one of the few things keeping her up. The fact that she's still moving, that she escaped her encounters with those demonic creatures in her state, all felt like divine intervention.

She knew she cannot afford to fail.

Not before finding that girl and definitely not before reuniting with Sana.

They will have a long talk afterwards. Perhaps it was the only way to repair their strained relationship.

She slowly walked towards the faint light at the end of the tunnel. Her sweaty palms were not just an indication of the strain this place had been giving her.

It was also a manifestation of the pain inside her heart.

Asuka Kurashiki was, for the most part, what people would call a self-made woman.

Born in poverty, Asuka only had one goal in mind as a young girl: win the battle of life. With no resources that parents can provide her, she juggled her studies and whatever work she can find. All she had was determination in that one-track mind of hers and a belief that things would go right.

She had surrendered herself to fate, or in her vocabulary, divine destiny, and it led her to Shiroki City. Right before her parents, a pair wrecked by the vices of life, passed, she promised herself to not fall for the same temptations.

The aspiring woman soldered her resolve, and she discovered salvation through the strongest power of them all: being able to elicit change and inspire the youth, those impressionable ones who are in dire need of help both emotionally and spiritually.

In the end, she emerged triumphant. The money kept coming in, and with each passing letter from people whom her words touched, she felt an ever growing sense of accomplishment.

She won. She beat life and its pitfalls.

Along with that came a pride and a thirst for control that part of her still refused to relinquish. The prospect of adjusting her ways and seeking compromise had driven her first to anger and now anxiety, which now manifested.

Swallowing one's pride never came easy, but for the sake of someone who helped her in spite of her attitude, she will do it.

"Haaahh..." she panted right before stepping out from the tunnel and into a large chamber.

What she saw took her breath away.

The walls of this chamber were littered with numerous hexagonal holes: tunnels, as one may say, all leading to the heart of the maze.

The holes, much like the one she came from, presumably led to different places in the intricate castle. They were all hollow at first glance, but when she slowly walked towards one of them, it shot a bright light, momentarily blinding her.

After she regained her sight, she realized that the light from the tunnel had been redirected straight to the structure in the middle of the room.

It looked like a black spire, a decrepit one condemned by time. Many roots from the ground entangled it, and so did some extensions that ensnared it from above.

However, the more striking part of it were its "branches." Like those from a tree, extensions spread out from the center of the tower. They were nondescript with the exception of some large objects hanging from them.

"I told you to away!"

Recognizing that voice as Sana's, Asuka cried out in response.

"Sana, are you there?"

"I said, go away!"

The mother took a step closer to the spire before the sound of lightning pierced her ears. More sparks followed, nearly striking her at her feet.

She recoiled just enough to avoid a direct hit, but the impact of the spark was enough to throw her off her feet.

"Sana, it's me!"

"I know it's you. Just get out of my sight!"

An unseen force pushed Asuka back, shoving her further from the spire that stood in the middle.

She wanted to get angry and deliver another one of her lectures to Sana, but in the face of an unknown force, all that she felt was fear.

Was this nightmare the punishment for how she treated Sana? Was this evil spirit going to exact vengeance?

She stood up, refusing to accept such a fate.

"No you don't, Sana!"

Her shouts were responded to by a powerful gust of wind. Such a powerful force that came from the spire knock the wind out of her lungs as it sent her crashing back first to the ground.

Looking back at the spire, specifically the branches, caused her to gasp.

She finally made out what the objects hanging from the branches were. With her arms spread out and attached to the branches, Hikari stayed perfectly still. However, she was not hanging in the traditional sense.

It was as if the ends of her hands had merged with the extensions.

It was a horrifying sight that completely caught Asuka unprepared. To make matters worse, Hikari was not alone.

Hanging beside her was Yura, likewise unconscious.

"H-h-help..." Asuka whimpered as she crawled backwards. Her resolve having been deflated by the sight of the two and the relentless rejections from Sana's voice.

"Begone and never return, Mama. Hikari and Yura will be with me forever, and this time, there's nothing you can do about it."

"S-sana..." Asuka gulped, recalling the conversation she had with Hikari not too long ago. She kept her eyes fixed on the spire, which she assumed was the medium of the evil spirit copying Sana.

It did not take long before she was proven wrong, at least partially.

From the spire came the cloud of shadows that caught Hikari. Swirling in place, the shape of the cloud slowly changed.

First came the limbs then the body.

When the transformation completed, Asuka found herself facing a human figure cloaked in complete darkness. It was more appropriate to call it a husk, as it had little to no features of a human, its face being devoid of detail.

Asuka's body completely shut down, stiffened by fear and frozen in place at the sight of the grotesque being.

"That's it. Go and leave me alone for good," it spoke in Sana's voice despite having no mouth.

Clutching her chest, Asuka stood up, and using all that she had, yelled at this thing.

"What did you do with Sana?! Give her back!"

The shadow only tilted its head.

"For what? To go back to that old life that I hate so much? How many times have I wanted to share my happiness only for it to be rejected?"

"Sana, you don't understand. You—"

Before she can finish, she was pushed back by yet another unseen force, pinning her to the ground.

"For your own good? That card again?"

"Yes, Sana."

"Hmph! You're in no position to boss me around this time, are you? It was never about understanding me."

It raised its head as it reached the crescendo of its words. It had no facial features, but Asuka could feel as if it was staring a hole right through her with the way it talked.

"When did you ever show concern about my feelings before talking and making decisions? Do you know how much it hurt when you told me that I cannot be with my friends anymore? Or when I was so excited to tell you stories and share my joy, but you just didn't care?"

Asuka did not reply anymore. It was just like Hikari had said. Yet, her will did not waver, and she stuck true with her sense of right.

But perhaps what is "right" in her perspective, what is "proper," was not the best choice, after all?

It would not have led to this mess.

"Sana, I-I..." her words failed her when the shadowy figure raised its hand, transforming an entire arm into a lance.

She faced the threatening weapon with dignity and fear. She could apologize now, but even if it's as heartfelt as it can be, what good will that do?

It's far too late.

"It hurts, Mama. It hurts so much."

With the weapon pointed at the defenseless woman, the shadow figure prepared to lunge.

"Enough!"

Both Asuka and the shadowy figure looked sideways.

From one of the tunnels, Sana approached the two of them.

3

In basic terms, Sana had stumbled onto the scene, but it can't just be coincidence that the feeling in her heart had guided her here. The beacon-like feeling she had led her to both her mother and this monster.

The girl had heard everything, and it had made her uncomfortable. What the monster said was a possibility she had stowed away in the depths of her heart, but she knew she could never get herself to say those words. Not to her mother.

After a bit of soul searching, she realized that all she wanted was to find love in the care of the Aratas. All she wanted was to be allowed the kind of happiness that every middle schooler of her age enjoyed.

But this monster had taken things to the extremes, and Sana knew that she had to do something, even if it would take every bit of courage she had.

This was no time for the trembling, stuttering Sana of old. She had decided to face her problems head-on and save her mother and Hikari.

This monster felt more powerful and intimidating than everything else she had seen. No doubt that it was aggressive, but if it really reflected her thoughts, she also knew that the monster would not be quick to strike.

"Sana Kurashiki?"

In a moment of clarity, the shadowy figure spoke to her.

Sana nodded. "Can you please let me speak with Mama for a while?"

The shadowy figure shook its head before pointing the lance at Sana.

"Why do you help that woman? Why do you now take the side of the one you hated? The cause of your tears? The cause of your anger? Having resided in you for weeks, I know the deepest depths of your heart. I know the true feelings you held. Are you saying that I, an Ascended One, am wrong?"

"I do not understand the last parts that you said, and it is true that I thought of hating Mama before," Sana said, looking at her mother. "But after seeing what you're about to do, I have decided to let go of those feelings."

"Yet those feelings did exist, and I, the Magna Arbiter, merely acted on them. Wanting to make your wish come true. In this world, your mother holds no power, and I will make sure that you will never be separated from those you held dear. Forever."

"It may have been what part of me wanted, but the methods you have... Hikari, Big Bro, and even I won't happy with that at all."

"You dare deny your deepest desires?"

Sana took a deep breath. She felt her fists clench into balls, and without her knowing, she was staring right into the face of the being calling itself the Magna Arbiter.

"If you are hating Mama for my sake just as you said, you are no better at all! You're just like the part of her that I hate. The side who claims to know me and makes decisions for me."

She sighed, signaling a tense break between her words. She peered towards her mother before their teary eyes met.

"You're a fake. A monster pretending to fight for my sake and give me what you think is the best for me. I, Sana Kurashiki, am my own person, and I have my own path that I choose to follow. I do not need anyone to direct my life. What I need is someone who will guide me. Someone I can trust to understand me and be my guiding light."

"An interesting development. Such determination is rare and in-between among the denizens of this world. That much I can conclude from my short time here. But I cannot go against your will, the very same will that allowed me to start regaining my form."

Sana gulped when she slowly stepped in the way of the shadowy figure. The throbbing heart of hers won't stop, but at this point, it was not just fear or anxiety.

It's the small yet fierce fire of courage.

She pressed her hand on her chest. Her breathing synced with the determination in her heart, and she glared at the Magna Arbiter.

"If you refuse to step away, I shall eradicate you."

Such threatening words had no effect on the determined girl, who kept her eyes on the Magna Arbiter's lance-like arm.

However, before the attack can connect, the Magna Arbiter pulled its lance arm back. It was repelled by a blinding light that came out of Sana.

With a growl, it moved back, dazed for a moment, but that split-second was all Sana needed.

In her hand was an object she had never seen before: a scythe.

Doing what her gut told her to do, she bravely pointed it at the Magna Arbiter, forming a formidable obstacle between it and her mother.

0