Chapter 2: monkey’s paw (gone right?) and magic!
32 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I'm boooooored!" Evelyn whined. She had been walking for around two hours by now. At first she had been looking around the forest with wonder but it quickly wore off, and now she's simply thinking about random things.

"Can't something exciting happen? I've been walking for hours and the only interested thing that happened was the mana poisoning resistance level up. At this point I'd be happy with whatever..." She continued to complain to herself.

With a sigh she looked around once more and finally spotted something interesting. It was a rabbit with what looked like a horn almost as long as it was.

She quietly and excitedly talked to herself, "Ooh, it's a horned rabbit! That one's a classic! I wanna pet it so badly, but logically speaking it's probably dangerous, since it's a wild animal and all." she sighed at that but continued on undeterred, "It's most likely gonna attack me when it sees me, which sucks. But, if my guess is right, then it's gonna use that horn to impale me. It's a rabbit, so, maybe it'll jump? It would be funny to see it running with those small waddly front legs though." she mused.

With another sigh, she began to pep talk to herself, "Alright, I can do it, it's just a rabbit, it's probably dangerous and I need to eat something. Haaa, it's so cute, but I guess sacrafises have to be made, sorry little bunny, I really need to eat!" with a final pep up she stepped out from behind the tree she was hiding and approached the rabbit.

The rabbit noticed her instantly and turned around, pointing it's horn straight at her. Evelyn for her part took up a stance, ready to jump aside and smack the rabbit the moment it jumped.

A tense moment passed, and the rabbit jumped! Evelyn thought she had been prepared, but the rabbits speed took her offguard. With a quick move left she managed to avoid the horn of the rabbit, yet its body still hit her and she barely avoided tumbling over from the sheer force of the hit.

Quickly rebalancing herself she turned around and saw the rabbit land. As the rabbit turned around she realised she can't let it jump again, but it was too late as it already prepared to lunge again. This time Evelyn was more careful and managed to avoid the rabbit entirely.

While she quickly turned around she heard a loud crack. Half a second later the rabbit came into her view, now stuck in a tree with its horn.

"What the fuck?" She murmured to herself softly. "Did you seriously get stuck?" She asked the rabbit, receiving no answer in response. Slightly flabbergasted, she decided not to look a gifted horse in the mouth and steeled her nerve to kill the rabbit.

With a slow exhale, she stepped closer to the rabbit, rose her stick, aimed for the neck and brought it down with as much force as she could muster. With a sickening crunch the rabbit stopped moving at once and Evelyn saw a new blue box flash into existence.

You have slain a level 2 horned rabbit

No class detected, essence saved for future usage

With a slow sigh she looked over the message she got. "So it's called essence not experience, huh. Good to know." Dismissing the message she looked over her handiwork, aka the dead rabbit stuck in a tree. 

Dropping her stick she took ahold of the rabbit and pried it free from the tree, her gut wrenching all the while because of its dead little eyes.

"This sucks..." She murmured to herself as she finally freed it from the tree. As she looked at it something finally dawned on her. "How the hell am I supposed to cook it?"

Taking the rabbit in one hand and her stick in another she continued her walk towards north, all the while wondering how to prepare the rabbit.

"I could try using its horn as a kinfe or something, but then I have to figure out how to get it free. Maybe with a sharp rock or something? Yuck, that's gonna be disgusting." As she continued to ponder she got an incredible idea. "Maybe I could catch another one of those horned rabbits and use that one's horn? I'm a genius!"

With bubbling exitment in her strides she continued on, the dead rabbit in her hands half forgotten.

------

Evelyn was once again hiding behind a tree, spying on another horned rabbit as she mentally went over the last fight with one. She had dropped the first rabbit right next to her foot so it wouldn't get in the way while she fought.

"I really wanna fight it head on but that would be stupid and I need to eat," she sighed "I guess I have to bait it."

Stepping out from behind the tree she stayed near it. The rabbit having already noticed her prepared to attack her. As it leaped into the air Evelyn jumped to the side and the rabbit hit the tree, now stuck just like the last one.

Closing her eyes and taking a moment to steady herself she finished the rabbit just like the last one. 

You have slain a level 2 horned rabbit

No class detected, essence saved for future usage

"At least I have food now." She murmured to herself.

------

Evelyn stood in a clearing, before her lay the two dead rabbits, a bundle of sticks, kindle and small rocks for the fireplace and a few long sticks to hoist the rabbits on. She had also brought two big and flat stones to clean and cook the rabbits on.

Taking a deep breath she steeled her resolve, took the two rabbits and the longer sticks and one of the flat stones.

As she knelt down she took the rabbits and removed each of their horns with the other's. Gagging at the sight and smell of blood flowing from the rabbits' forehead she took one of them, placed it on the flat stone and began to remove its hide with a horn.

She was by no means an expert at skinning animals, hell, this was her first time, so the result was quite bloody and messy. After finishing her work she hoisted the now hideless rabbit up on a stick and left it to bleed out.

With a sigh she looked at the second rabbit, looked at the mess she created and looked back at the rabbit. "Maybe I should let it bleed out first." She decided to do as she said and punctured a few holes into the hide before hoisting this one up on a stick as well.

Looking at her hands she sighed once more and tried to clean them on the grass as much as she could. Satisfied with getting most of the blood off she got up and began to prepare a campfire to cook the rabbits.

Fifteen minutes later she was done. Mentally listing off campfire safety regulations she looked at the pieces of wood she's supposed to use to start a fire. "That's gonna be such a hassle..."

Looking back at the rabbits she saw that they had already bleed out. Deciding to skin the other rabbit she got to work and in just half an hour she was done, this one a lot less messy than the last one. She startled a little when a blue box appeared in her vision.

You have gained tanning level 1

Tanning: passively improves your tanning ability.

"Well, that would have been useful before..." She murmured after checking out the skills description. "Haah, whatever, I still need to butcher them." She said to herself and got to work.

------

Evelyn eyes the setting sun as she sat beside her slowly burning campfire. She had managed to butcher the rabbits half decently and only felt like puking once throughout the whole ordeal, her hunger helping her power through it. As expected, she got a skill for butchering after finishing her second rabbit.

After that she had to start a fire to cook the meat on. Ugh, that was sooo annoying to do! I really wish I had a lighter or something, then it would have been so much easier. Well, at least something good came out of it. She thought as she looked at her new affinity.

Magic affinities:

Tier 1:

Fire affinity (1)

Fire affinity: your ability to control and manipulate magic with fire affinity.

She was still a bit stunned that she somehow got fire magic. She knew how she got it as it had happened only 20 minutes prior. She had been rubbing a stick between her arms, trying to use friction to start a fire and her patience had run out a while ago, so she had been staring at the spot between the stick and another piece of wood, all of her mind focused on trying to will the fire into existence. And it worked.

She had been flabbergasted and overjoyed when it did, almost not noticing the blue boxes informing her of her success. After calming down a bit and quickly lighting the campfire alight she looked over the messages and was once again flabbergasted. She had acquired her affinity as well as a skill called mana sense.

Mana sense: sense mana in yourself and your surroundings.

After calming down a bit more and focusing for a while she began to sense the mana in the air and then herself, noticing the stark contrast between them, as in, she didn't have a lot of mana in her. After observing herself and the surrounding for a while she noticed mana slowly tricking in her from the surrounding.

A few minutes later she dropped the matter and got up to start cooking her food, which brings us to the now.

"I still don't understand why it came so easily, I mean, it's magic! Isn't this stuff supposed to be hard or something? Then again, I am 'manaless' which is supposed to help..." Her musings were stopped by the meat sizzling.

Extending her hand she flipped it over with a stick and continued to ponder her newly acquired abilities. 

"If getting fire magic was that easy, then maybe I can get other magics too?" As she said it out loud, excitement began to bubble in her.

With her mind made up she cleared her head and entered meditation, a few minutes later when she felt ready she began to feel the mana around her. When that was finished she focused on a spot on the ground right infront of her, trying to will it to grow even just a little.

A minute passed, then another, without anything happening, but she didn't give up, as this was what she had done to get fire magic. Concentrating even harder she saw it. The ground rose a bit, then a little more, until a tiny mound was there.

Evelyn couldn't contain her happiness and laughed loudly. Flopping onto her back she looked at the blue boxes that had appeared.

You have unlocked earth affinity (1)

Mana sense has reached level 2

"I fucking love magic!" Evelyn yelled with a smile. She continued to lay there for a bit, then got up as her stomach grumbled. "Oh yeah, food." 

Upon seeing that the food had finished cooking she took the big rock off the fire and laid it next to herself. She hadn't seasoned the food so she knew it wasn't going to taste that good, but as there was nothing else to eat she got to it.

Taking a bite out of it she was surprised that it didn't actually taste too bad. Continuing to eat with gusto the food was soon gone.

Laying back down again she look up and saw the sun nearing the horizon. "I don't really wanna sleep out in the open, and I hadn't noticed any hill or such that could have caves. Maybe I can sleep atop the trees? Probably not. I think I'll have to just build myself a hut quickly." Finishing her tirade, she got up, dusted herself off and was off again looking for big sticks to build a makeshift hut with.

Another hour had almost passed and Evelyn was setting up the last few sticks to of her hut. She knew it wasn't very sturdy but it would at least hide her somewhat. She had gathered a few branches with leaves to use as a blanket of sorts but she hadn't felt the temperature change a single bit the whole time she had been here. Maybe this place just doesn't get cold, or maybe I'm in the south? Who knows, definitely not me!

She stepped back and dusted her hands off, looking at what she had set up. It wasn't pretty, but it would cover her at least, which was all that mattered to her. Stepping close to the hut and crawling inside from a little opening she had left, she readjusted some of the sticks to remove the entrance. Laying down she covered herself with the leaved branches.

She cleared her head of idle thoughts and focused on her breathing, this usually helped her calm down. Like usual, it worked like a charm as sleep quickly came to her, and with that, the first day in another world for Evelyn passed.

5