Chapter Four
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My father was dressed for a funeral. His royal robes were the color of storm clouds and a crimson sash was tied around his waist along with a little pink braided fabric. His grand, golden crown that imitates the feathers of an eagle was missing today. Instead, he chose a thinner crown that was no less grand than the other one because this one was made entirely out of rubies that appeared to be enchanted due to the red light being emitted from it. He was leaning against the opposite door that was a bright green color. He looks out of place in the small, rainbow garden room. The bright and happy yellow, pink, white, and purple flowers do not match the dangerous aura radiating from him.

I bow only my head to him since the tight bodice keeps me from bending at the waist. I then clasp my hands and stare at the ground, waiting to be addressed. 

"The wedding attire of a widower," he says to me in a low voice. "She would have liked to be here for you." I raise my head and look at him. His eyes are still cold as always, but right now they also seemed a little distant. 

"Come here." My father pulls a long, blue ribbon from his inner pocket and motions for me to walk forward. "Our forearms must be tied before the wedding crowd sees us as per Shinan's traditions. It is considered unlucky and distasteful for the bride and her father to appear divided." He spoke in a mocking tone. The people of Yakasu take pride in their traditions so my father must feel a little jaded to have to follow a foreign leader's rules. I almost had the urge to let out a little chuckle as the reason behind the tradition is very ironic considering how he has been treating me all these years.

I tense up with every step. This is the longest he has ever gone in the past thirteen years without insulting me in some form. So I am wary of his currently calm state. I feel as if at any moment he will call for guards and have them drag me back to my room by my hair. 

I reach him and hold out my arm. I flinch as he lines his arm up against mine. He does not acknowledge the movement and silently ties the ribbon gently around our arms. A strong power could be felt from his crown. The air around me felt similar to the air during a lightning storm.

"Perfect," he says as he finishes the bow. He holds my left hand and asks, "are you ready?"

Afraid that my voice will sound weak, I nod. 

He sighs. "Unless you have somehow become mute, Yueia, speak," he scolds.

"Yes! I am ready!" My voice sounds clearer than I thought it would and it makes my father nod in satisfaction. 

"You are so bold in front of others but become  such a weak child in front of me." There is a strange glint in his eyes. He knows what had occurred this morning. "Keep your childish tendencies hidden, Yueia, especially from the husband. Never stutter or shrink yourself around him."

Has something happened that I am not aware of? Just yesterday my father was berating and degrading me and now he's giving me advice? After all these years, today is the day that he has decided to take on the role of a caring father. Who exactly is King Erix and why is he so wary of him?

He holds my hand, opens the door, and leads me down the corridor. Mara told me that this is a private passageway to reach the doors to the grand courtyard where the ceremony is taking place. It is Shinan's long-standing tradition for the bride and groom to be married outdoors. According to them marrying indoors is a great way to start a relationship full of secrets. On the other hand, an outdoor wedding symbolizes that the couple has nothing to hide from each other and is proud to be together.

This corridor bypasses the main hall and ballroom but takes a little more time to go through with all the twists and turns. Different glowing yellow flowers along with many torches, line the path making the windowless passage very bright and seemingly pleasant.

When we reach the end of the hall we pause in front of a door. My father looks at me. "When the ceremony is over you will no longer be known as the daughter of the king of Yakasu but as the wife of the king of Shinan." His gaze intensifies. "Yueia," his voice is low, "that title does not hold the same power."

He knocks on the door and it creaks open. 

An old man dressed in a light green robe opens the door and crept inside. He had a long thick gray braid under a green rectangular hat and in his right hand is a golden staff with a floating baby blue cube hovering above it. He leans on it and says, "ahh, Your Majesty," he has a warm voice, "you're late." He looks my father up and down, "and are not wearing the appropriate wedding attire."

I gasp. Who did this elderly man think he was? I have never heard anyone speak so informally to my father. Servants wouldn't even dare to speak improperly about him behind his back let alone to his face. I look up at my father expecting to see complete anger but instead a silly smile is on his face. 

"I can take as long as I want now, Grand Sage," he gestures to his crown, "I am King."

"Yes! A king!" The Grand Sage laughs, "A king who doesn't know how to treat his guests! And it's not just any guests you are neglecting. It's the royalty of an ally kingdom and me!" 

My father rolled his eyes, "we are not late, Grand Sage, and you have not been neglected. I have had plenty of feasts thrown in celebration of my daughter's engagement which you and the others have attended. And speaking of my daughter," he looks down at me. "You have never met Yueia, have you?"

My eyes widen after hearing his title. This old man was the Grand Sage Erkey, a member of the Suka Council, head librarian of the Great Library of Shima, and my father's old mentor. All books regarding this man say that he is the best offensive spellcaster on Aitosukawa and if it wasn't for his guidance all those years ago my father may not have defeated the Old Evil. 

"No I haven't and you know it!" He stomps his staff against the ground and the floating cube glows brighter. "You kept the poor girl hidden from the entire world! That should be a crime an–!"

"You know just like I do that the world is cruel and unforgiving." My father says cutting off the man's words. "Can you fault me for wanting to protect my daughter, my only child with my deceased wife, from danger?"

I clench my jaw. He wants to protect me? Has he forgotten about what he had said only just yesterday? How to him I was worthless and a parasite? He is a two-headed serpent who uses his venom wisely. I knew he acted differently when others were around but to see it in person is maddening.  I want nothing more than to scream from the top of my lungs the truth but I remain silent. 

The old man grumbles under his breath and finally turns his attention to me, looking at me and my dress intently, his eyes linger on my face. "She is also not dressed appropriately."

"We are proud citizens of Yakasu," my father says, "not Shinan so we are dressed appropriately. Red, white, and gold for the bride and gray, red, and, pink for the widower. When the marriage is finalized, my daughter can dress in her new nation's colors but until then the beautiful colors of Yakasu are what she shall wear."

"Hmph!" The Grand Sage slams his staff down again this time the cube doesn't glow as bright. "Fine be that way. She won't be Yakasu's for much longer anyways." His gaze is still on me when he says, "she looks just like her mother, doesn't she? What a lucky girl!"

My ears perk up and I straighten my posture. He believes that I look like my mother? His eyes must be failing him in his old age. When I was a little girl and free, many people who saw me always told me I looked just like my father. From our eyes to our smile to our hair and skin tone, it was clear that I was his child. Even now though I try my hardest to avoid my reflection I have seen it and that fact has never changed. I look just like my father but I do wonder what she looked like. Maybe we do have some type of feature that is similar. He could be telling the truth.

My father raises his right eyebrow, "many people would strongly disagree with you." He must feel the same as I then. This elderly man has poor eyesight.

"Well many people may not remember the beauty that was her mother considering the fact you have hidden away all of her portraits! However, I" the Grand Sage proudly exclaims, "am fortunate enough to have seen her many times before her passing."

"Okay that is enough," my father raises his hand to silence him. "If I let you go on anymore, we will actually be late." He tightens his hold on my hand and tugs me forward. "Let us get this over with."

With another hmph, Grand Sage Erkey turns and opens the door. Several bowing maids are waiting and the Sage steps asides as bows as well as we pass him. The maids gather behind us as we head to the grand door. 

My heart began to beat rapidly. My palms start to sweat and I wipe my right hand on my dress to dry it. I have the urge to untie the ribbon connecting me to my father and dry my left hand as well but I resist.

The grand door is twenty feet tall and was dark walnut with black details. As we stood in front of it, music could be heard on the other side. 

I haven't heard music in years. I think I could hear a piano and some violins playing a sweet melody. 

My father squeezes my hand bringing me out of my thoughts. Without looking at me he asks one last time, "are you ready?"

I close my eyes and slowly inhale and exhale. When I open them I lift my head and say, "yes."

0