Chapter 19 – Discovery
90 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The C-rank party, Boulder Eclipse, had just graduated from D-rank yesterday, and with the advent of a new investigation & patrol request, they decided to take it easy for the first job. Having just arrived at the northeast gate that comes out from the Airdocks, they decided to return to the Main Gate to finish the 4 hour patrol. Close to an hour later, the party's scout Adran spotted another hunter far in front of them, who was solo.

The party leader, Varg, spoke up after receiving the report. "Let's get a sit-rep from them. We didn't encounter anything on our pass, but they might've." Agreeing, they approached the solo hunter and were a little surprised when they saw it was a girl. She was shorter than the party's smallest by a few inches, but for her age might've been above average. She wore a hood and a half-face mask, an armored dress, and a menacing clawed gauntlet on one hand, with a pair of short swords on the opposite side. Under the hood was a hint of gorgeous, pinkish-copper hair.

Varg: "Ah, hey there. We're on our way back after getting to Eastgate, do you have anything to report?"

Young girl: "Yeah, some 'monsters' attacked earlier but I dealt with them. Good luck on your return."

She then passed us by with a small wave and continued on to east gate. If a girl like that dealt with some monsters then it must've just been a few. Guess it's a quiet day. Varg thought to himself as he waved off the girl.

Then they continued on with their patrol, only to find the remains of a skirmish between a D-rank party and a group of 10 goblins later. They were both slaughtered, and an investigation of the bodies uncovered unusual wounds, with one of the hunters having their throat torn out violently. Varg looked back towards east gate with concern.

~~×~~×~~

Close to the 2 hour mark I had arrived at Eastgate and checked in with the guards there. They told me that, as usual for the east gate, it had been a slow day, nothing of interest having happened. So I thanked the guards there and started my patrol back to Main Gate. I had passed a hunter's party on my way here, so they would've found the remains by now. Though I'm sure I can get out of trouble if it occurs by explaining what the situation was. 

Halfway to the Main Gate and I was greeted by an unfamiliar sight. The corpses had been thrown to the side, with the monster ones burnt to ash and the hunter's corpses lined up. But no hunter party. I shrugged after stopping a moment and continued on my way. Uneventfully reaching the main gate, I approached one of the guardsmen who saw me and came close on his own, bringing a co-worker. Before I could say anything, he spoke.

Guard: "We're gonna need to escort you to the guild. We got a concerning report from the last party, so protocol dictates we bring you to the guild first instead of the prison for interrogation."

Iris: "...Yeah, sure. I was gonna report here and head over anyway."

I crossed my arms. It was annoying, but I was going there anyway so it didn't matter. The guards signalled for the gate to open, and as it did, we entered the city. The guards escorted me to the guild and we went Inside. The whole time, the guards were quite cautious of me. I guess the report that party gave them was quite worrying. We approached the receptionist desk, and Herra was here to great us.

Herra: "Welcome... Is there something the matter? ...Iris?" She looked at me with concern then back to the guards.

Guard: "Ma'am. We received a report from C-rank Boulder Eclipse that a solo hunter wiped out a D-rank party and 10 goblins together. As unjust murder is illegal, we deemed it necessary to take her in-"

Iris: "Look, I'm actually quite busy so how about you shut the fuck up and listen to my report?" I said, starting to become irritated as I looked back up at the guard with killing intent. The guard flinched and backed away a step as I turned to Herra, taking my hood and mask off. From there I explained what truly played out, from detecting the goblins to the hunters stopping me and both of us getting attacked, then how I killed the hunters that threatened me.

Herra sighed and glared at the guards, who looked at each other awkwardly before spouting more drivel and taking their leave. Then she spoke up "Those bloody guardsmen always have to overstep their bounds. Hunter on hunter violence is the jurisdiction of the guild, not the Guardsmen. They just make things more complicated because they have their own protocol for following hunters to the guild if it's found a murder occured. That said... That party you killed was known for doing shady things but we never had any proof to convict them. I'm impressed you were able to take them out, Iris."

Iris: "Well, I just had the goblins ambush them for me. From there it was easy pickings. Anyway, I'd like my reward."

Herra: "Yes, right away." She said as she counted up my achievements and paid out the reward. "By the way... You're on the cusp of C-rank. I think if you wanted you could take the test to rank up."

Iris: "Is that so? I might then. But not today, I have other plans."

Herra: "I see, then have a good day Iris."

I turned and started to walk away, pocketing the money as I was stopped by a man standing infront of me. I sighed, and thought Is there still more?

???: "Uh, Iris, right? Sorry about that. We overheard your report." I looked up at the voice and it was the man from the earlier party, C-rank Boulder Eclipse, from what i understood. He continued "We saw the remains of your skirmish with those criminals and it was just so violent. It was real concerning so we reported it to the guards, thinking you were someone dangerous."

Iris: "...I am. Could you move? I have plans" If this were a dark alley, I would've ripped this man's throat out for being such a nuisance.

Varg: "A-ah, well... We'd like to make it up to you. If you'd like, will you join our party when you reach C-rank?"

Not this again. "I'm a solo hunter. Now piss off. If you get in my way again, I'll have to regard you as my enemy." I said, my bloodlust oozing out as I flexed my claws. I pushed past him and left the building. After that, I returned to the tavern to continue my studies. 

While I was in my room, I also decided to check on my status.

Iris - Age 13 - Female - Level 18

Body - Sp: 135/135 MP 126/126

Stats - Str: 14, Dex: 18, Agi: 20, End 12, Int: 23 Luk: -

Skills - Parallel Thought {1}, Sword skill {1}, Gunsmithing {1}, Mental Resistance {3}, Disease Resistance {1}, Mana Control {3}, Dagger Skill {2}, Physical Up {2}, Critical Point {1}, Dark Vision {1}, Marksmanship {1}, Pressure {1} [NEW]

Title: A Sapling in Stone

Capability: 134 (178 with PU)

I suppose it was about time to rank-up tomorrow. So tomorrow after eating breakfast I went to the guild and applied for the practical exam. Soon I was brought to the training floor where my examiner was waiting, a C-rank Dual Swordsman wearing light armor.

Examiner: "So you're Iris then? You know, when hunters reach C-rank, other hunters or the guild usually christen them with a nickname, but it seems like the hunters have already given you one."

Iris: "...Hah? I have a nickname?"

Examiner: "So the person in question isn't even aware! Well, you'll find out soon enough. Are you ready?" He asked while drawing his swords. The training ring we were in was enchanted with anti-lethal magic, so lethal attacks would be blocked and a referee would watch to make sure neither contestant would bleed out from light wounds.

Iris: "...Sure." I drew my blades and took a stance. One i held normal, Past, and the other I held in reverse, Future. The examiner commented on my weapons.

Ex: "Hooh~ Are those custom made? How interesting." He said, before rushing at me with intense speed. He swung diagonally down at me, which I sidestepped to dodge, and deflected the other sword which he thrust at me, stabbing forward in return. The blade cut into his side as he twisted his body out of the way, and swung up his first sword to catch me. I twisted away and jumped to the side, rolling and hitting the ground on all fours, taking a cat-like stance, ready to pounce.

He looked surprised at my form, but didn't drop his guard, and studied me closely. We entered a stalemate, and I quickly decided to lunge forward, imitating a thrusting motion as I connected my blades and stopped short, swinging up as the blade extended outwards and caught him by surprise, leaving a deep gash in his collar. He barely dodged backwards to avoid a "lethal" blow, but after I broke his stance, I deftly took a throwing knife and slung it at his throat. The barrier kicked in before he could react and the throwing knife bounced away. The fight was over, and we both slowly relaxed. He smiled with satisfaction.

Examiner: "Boy, I see why they started calling you 'Bloody Cat'! You're just like a cat of prey, covered in blood whenever you kill those stronger than yourself. I sure hope I never cross you. It was a good fight." He said, sheathing his blade. The referee, a receptionist from upstairs, clapped after seeing our battle. He congratulated me on passing the exam to be promoted to C-rank, and after requesting it, I handed over my old tag to be updated.

Examiner: "You have a lot of interesting tricks, but here's some advice: Hone that style of yours. It may sound strange coming from someone that couldn't even land a hit, but that's why I can teach you. Don't rely on just petty tricks. An opponent much stronger than you won't be affected by them."

Iris: "I see... Sure. Thank you for the advice, mister."

He flinched after I said that. What was the matter I wondered? I recollected my throwing knife and sheathed my blades as I heard him mumble something about being "not even 30 yet". People are strange.

I returned upstairs and soon was given a bright, clean marble tag. I heard from the discussions around the hall that Boulder Eclipse was the one that gave me the nickname. They sure kept on being a thorn in my side.

Ah, small update to this chapter, i had forgotten to re-write Iris' status, but its fixed now

4