Chapter 21: Some thousand meters
78 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I once again woke up to an unfamiliar ceiling. So I guess I died again. I thought with a sigh, trying to sit up. It was actually rather painful for my gut, which I held as I sat up and looked around. The room had metal walls with hardwood floors and ceiling. On one side, from the foot of the bed, was a door. On the opposite end was a porthole window, and sitting opposite the bed was a dresser, desk, and mirror. I could see myself and was charmed, stunned for but a moment.

Licht: So, we didn't die then. But wow.

Wow indeed. I was even prettier than I imagined. Surely this wasn't normal, but I guess I simply wasn't normal. I wonder who my parents were.

On the desk I saw my armor partly folded with all my equipment resting on top. ...Who was it that undressed me? If it was a man, I had some words to say. Wait, more importantly, what happened with dior? Where am I right now, exactly? And... It was bright in this room. Very bright. This wasn't artificial light.

I slowly got up off the bed and wandered over to the porthole, and what I saw shocked me. I was blinded for a moment until my eyes adjusted, then I saw clouds everywhere, and massive hulking mountains in the distance, as far as I could see. I could spot, far in the distance, creatures of all kinds flying through the sky.

Iris: "...I'm on an airship? Who brought me here...?" It was then that I heard a gentle knock on the door, and I turned to look as they entered. It was christy. She looked surprised to see me standing before she smiled wide and bolted towards me. "Iris! You're awake!" She said as she almost tackled me.

I held my arms out and caught her shoulders so she couldn't completely cling onto me. Too close... "Christy? What are you doing here? Where are we...?"

Christy: "We're on the Dragon's Scale! An Airship. You see, after that crazy monster sent you flying, you landed next to me and I scooped you up. I knew we had no chance of winning, so I brought you to the airship that was docked and we evacuated, since we're C-rank hunters. Well, you are, but I'm valuable as a medic so they let me on too."

Iris: "I see... So that's what happened. Also... Were you the one that dressed me...?"

Christy looked flustered at this question and looked away to avoid my gaze. She backed up a step before answering, holding her arms behind her. "A-ahh, uhmm, yes? but I couldn't just leave you in your dirtied, damaged armor. I figured it would be more comfortable for you to rest im something other than armor."

Iris: "...Thanks, then, christy. If it was a guy, I would've had to kill them. But if it's just you..." I could feel my face being flushed as I looked away. "Forget everything you saw and I'll forgive you."

Christy: "Yes ma'am! Forgotten!"

Ma'am? Whatever. I sighed and turned my attention to the armor. I walked over to the dress and grabbed it by the shoulders, holding it up. It actually felt kinda heavy, but now I could see the damage. It had been torn almost everywhere with cuts, and the armored plates had been scratched and chipped significantly. The part that covered my gut... Was utterly destroyed. This might have been the only thing to save my life. I think I still have reaper chitin left over to repair this. I hope miss Illivan managed to evacuate.

Christy: "Wow, I didn't notice before but... Your armor... It really took a beating huh? The torso is totally destroyed..."

Iris: "... Christy, do you know If you saw anyone on the ship that looked like a crossdressing male?"

She blinked twice and tilted her head. She actually looked kinda cute. Maybe not as pretty as me, but she is certainly adorable. "...Cross dressing male? You have an acquaintance like that? No, I didn't, but I wasn't looking around much..."

Iris: "I see. Thank you anyway." I put the dress back on the desk for now and went to sit on the bed. "You see, they're the one who made my armor. I guess I'll just have to wait to get someone to repair it"

Christy sat down beside me on the bed and nodded with understanding. "Christy, why go so far to help me? You could've evacuated on your own and left me."

Christy: "Huh? I could never abandon you. You're the one I look up to, Iris. I want to be with you." She said, looking at me seriously. I looked at her with surprise, and she suddenly panicked. "Er- I mean-! I want to join you so I can get stronger. I thought that, if I follow you, then I'll get stronger and be able to do more as a support engineer."

She hurriedly explained herself with a blush on her face, embarrassed. I see, a drive to grow stronger huh...? I looked away and thought for a while. The silence persisted in the room. "...Christy" My voice made her jump and I looked at her. 

Christy: "Yes?!"

Iris: "Lets grow stronger together. I'll let you join me, but only if you promise that we'll keep going, no matter what, until we reach the top."

Christy: "Huh? The top?"

I nodded "Yeah. You see, it's my goal to someday be strong enough to oppose fate itself. I want to have the strength to protect the people I need to protect."

Christy: "I see... Do you really think I can get there alongside you?" She looked up at me with eyes of doubt and concern.

Iris: "I don't see why not. So Christy, will you join me on the path to the top?"

She slowly turned away and look pensive for a while. I patiently waited for my answer, when finally she turned to me confidently and nodded. "Yeah. Lets aim for the top together, Iris!"

We smiled at each other and I nodded with satisfaction. Then I stood up and went over to the desk. "How about we go up to the deck for now then? I would like to have a look around." I said, and stripped off the dress I was wearing while christy responded. "Yeah, that sounds like- Iris?!" I looked back at the sound of her voice raising and saw she had her face covered, peeking through her fingers, and was flushed.

Iris: "What? We're both girls here, so It should be fine to change infront of each other." I said, taking the dress into my hands and starting to use magic to clean it up.

Christy: "W-well yeah, but you- awawa..."

Now her embarrassment was spreading to me, and I looked away, only showing her my back. Really now... The reason I was embarrassed before was because I was asleep, and even my thigh strap for throwing knives was taken off, which I now clipped back on. I hurried, getting dressed in my combat dress. Once it was done, I told christy- who had turned away -that I was finished, and I moved around in it. The armor protecting my waist was now effectively gone, but I could still wear the dress. Wherever we're going next, I should get some spare clothes there.

Me and Christy left our cabin and she guided me through the ship and onto the deck. From what I could gather, It seems the airship was primarily boat-like, with a set of turbines in the back that propell us. Above the ship was not a balloon, but a large covering with several sails on top that collected magic and used it to keep the ship afloat.

I wanted more details, but Christy wasn't very knowledgeable on the subject. We had finally reached the main deck and I breathed in deep, the fresh, cool, crisp air of the outside world. It made me stop in my tracks, just outside the door. I was speechless, and christy too looked happy at the scent of fresh air. We stepped further onto the deck and made our way to the side of the ship. We weren't travelling fast enough for the wind to whip us, but there was a strong breeze. All my equipment was on now so my torn cloak and skirt fluttered in the breeze.

As we were enjoying the air and view, a male voice called out to us. "Yoo~ Girls on deck. You're the C-rank that was brought aboard last night, yeah? And the medic with her." I turned to look at the voice. One deck above us, sitting on the stairs leading up to the bow of the ship, was a lanky man wearing light armor, heavy greaves, a headband and goggles holding a heavy steam rifle on his shoulder. A ranger, I guess.

Iris: "Hello. We were just enjoying the air... What business do you have with us?"

Hunter: "Business? Nah, was just curious, 's all. Im Max, Ranger of C-rank Harpy's feather. Look forward to workin' witch'a." He said with a salute. "Damn though girlie, the fuck happened to you? Your armor tells a helluva story there. You get hit by a locomotive or sumthin'?"

Iris: "...Well, name's Iris. Freshly C-rank, though I think I'm stronger than a newbie now. You really wanna hear the story?" I asked as I turned and leaned against the railing, getting more comfortable. Max wasn't particularly far away so talking at this distance wasn't uncomfortable.

Max: "Hell yeah I do. Get's boring as fuck up here In the sky, and the only time it ain't borin' is when my life is at stake. Hit me, Iris."

I nodded and decided to oblige. I accurately recounted everything that happened before I was knocked unconscious. How the monsters broke through the gate, and how I dived into the fray, cutting and slicing through monsters and dancing In the blood. Then I told him of my fight with the swarm queen, leaving out that she was an acquaintance of mine. I flawlessly recounted every detail as I stared off the opposite end of the ship, reliving every moment.

I strayed off to talk about other things I could've tried before returning to my story. "...Then, before I knew it, she had driven her fist Into my gut, and I was sent flying. The last thing I saw before my presumed death was Christy coming to my aid."

Max: "Holy shit... Remind me to never fuck witch'a, girlie. I definitely don't wanna be your enemy if ya can really fight like that. Still, Thanks for the story, you told it amazingly. I almost feel like I should pay ya for your time!" He said, giving us a toothy grin.

I smiled back and we continued to talk for some time on the deck of the ship, passing time in one of the few ways we could.

4