Chapter 26 – Deeper Darkness
77 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We ended the day by booking an inn in the middle ring of the city. There seemed to be three rings of Mou 13, the outer, middle, and inner ring, each corresponding to a different wealth class. Technically the city only had 2 walls forming rings, and the "outer ring" of civilization was exposed to the outside. The Airdocks for the city were a huge, raised up pier on the outside of the city, where the outer ring was.

It seems the outer ring being exposed wasn't much of an issue here, as there were only low-threat monsters around the city. After eating dinner at the inn, we retired to our room, having only booked one to save on money. Christy reasoned that she didn't want to burden our resources booking more than one room, but I think she just didn't want to be alone.

And so, we went to bed for the night after washing up separately. Except, my sleep was not peaceful. I was trapped in a vast, empty, dark space. I tried to walk out of it, running, jumping, even trying to fall through it, but all in vain. I curled up into a ball and waited. Perhaps this endless darkness would pass, much like the night turning to day. But the only thing that appeared were Eyes. First two. Then another, and another, and many began to from from the darkness. They stared at me unblinkingly, until i could feel hatred from their gazes.

I could start to hear whispers as i tried to escape from the hateful gazes. Whispers like "Why couldn't you save them?" and "What gave you the right to try to protect them?

"Since when were you a hero?"

"Since when were you strong enough to try and protect someone?"

"Aren't you cocky thinking you're so strong after dying twice, and nearly 3 more times?"

"You're just a weakling and a Coward. You can't hope to save everyone."

"Why couldn't you save me, Iris?"

The last one was a familiar voice. I had curled up again and covered my head, trying to shut out the voices that echoed into accusatory shouts. I looked up and saw Dior's face. It scowled at me with hatred.

"You're pathetic. What a shitty reincarnation."

The next was the voice of a male. An adult. I turned, tears staining my face and twisted into a grimace. There I saw Licht, standing over me, with short hair and an unkempt beard. He wore a t-shirt, suit pants, and a coat over it. His eyes were like glass, staring down at an insect.

Licht: "I could do more than you even in my world. Maybe I didn't have magic, or "skills", but my physique and technique made up for it. I could kill my enemies with little more than a look. But you-?"

He was interrupted by an identical voice from behind me. With a much softer tone.

Licht?: "But you have the courage to stand up to the odds. The techniques I have trained are helping you in this life. Helping you hone your strength to protect those dear to you. I had no such person."

The figure infront of me melted into a shadow with red eyes, and melted away like ink in water. I turned around to see the same man with a kind smile and gentle eyes, wearing thin-rimmed square glasses and kneeling down at my level. He then embraced me and I shut my eyes.

Licht: "You have faced many unusual adversities for a girl your age. I'm sorry about that, but the rate at which you are growing stronger is not only impressive, but astonishing. As your past life, or whatever, I'm proud."

The hateful eyes and menacing voices began to melt away. I'm glad licht was here, otherwise my soul might have crumbled under the burden. The nightmare melted away, and I soon awoke to the same dark brown, wooden roof I went to sleep under. By my side was christy, still asleep, and I could feel tears on my face. I sat up and wiped them off, taking a deep breath.

Licht: You're doing better now, I see. I'm glad I could help.

Iris: ...I'm embarrassed you had to see that. But thanks, Licht.

Licht: Of course. My skills will continue to help out, and me as well.

I smiled a bit. I would have died a long time ago if he weren't here. In fact, ironically enough, if the both of us hadn't died then, we might not be here together. Both of us...

Iris: ...Wait, isn't that really strange? Because we both died, we get to live again together? What's the point of that?

Licht: I had also been thinking as much for some time now. It stood out as strange to me, but I still have no idea what to actually say or do about it.

While thinking about our situation, I had gotten up and started to get dressed. It was clear that the situation was indeed beyond strange, but what we could actually say about it was not much in the end. The only question we could think of was "why?" and the only answer we could think of was "to be toyed with", which rubbed us the wrong way. We were grateful to be alive, but our lives weren't going to be entertainment for a higher power.

At this point Christy was starting to stir so I helped her wake up.

Sleepy Christy: "mmn-yaa~ mornying, Irish~... Waking early 'gain?"

Not-sleepy Irish: "Earlier than you at least, now get up, c'mon. We've got a long day ahead of us" I said, pulling the blankets off of her. 

I know we agreed to just use our underwear for sleepwear, but those assets... Anger was present somewhere in my heart, but i ignored it. Even if we were about the same age... No, not important. I helped her get dressed and ready just as a knock came at our door, signifying breakfast being ready. So we went downstairs and ate.

After breakfast, we wandered the city for a couple hours to wake up and sightsee. It was certainly a much different experience from Gravel 13 that was always covered in a thick layer of smog. Speaking of air... From Licht's memories, I was aware that Air inside caves would stagnate, but it seems the massive caverns in this world that housed cities had good ventilation. I wasn't sure how as it wasn't investigated by the humans of this world, perhaps because it was never necessary. Maybe this was another aftereffect of the presence of magic.

Later during our exploration, we went to Illivan's boutique and greeted her. I also picked up my newly repaired and refitted armored dress. It fit so snugly on me that it just felt right, and it felt new.

Iris: "Your armored dress is really impressive, Miss Illivan. It's a perfect fit on me, and it's like nothing ever changed."

Illivan: "Oh sweety, thank you for the compliment. I'm quite proud of my work, and am thankful to have such a pretty young girl to wear it. Try not to destroy it again, will you dear?"

Iris: "Of course miss, I'll do my best." I said, and we bid our farewells to eachother. Me and christy decided our next stop would be to check out the Hunter's Guild and investigate what requests are active at the moment.

On our way through the back alleys however...

???: "...That time again, ah?"

??? 2: "Yeah. We're gonna need more subjects, so head out to the outer ring and gather some, will you?"

???: "Tch, fine, but increase the pay. The guards are starting to notice a change so it's getting harder to avoid them."

??? 2: "No worries. You'll get your pay, as long as you deliver."

We overheard a shady conversation between a pair of suspicious individuals from around the corner. I think I found our request for today. But I heard steps coming closer to the corner, and I whipped around to face Christy, who looked confused and surprised at my sudden movement. I did the first thing that came to mind to avoid suspicion, and acted like I was kissing christy up against the wall, just as the man rounded the corner.

Christy was completely stunned, and I heard the steps behind me stop, their tongue clicking, and continuing past us. After a moment I pulled away and looked in the direction the steps disappeared to.

C(rashed)hristy: "E-eh? eh? eh? huh? hah? wha-"

I might've went a bit far but it was necessary... Sorry again, christy. "Sorry, but no time to explain, we have to follow." I said, holding her hand and dragging the mind-broken Christy along with me. It really couldn't be helped... This place was much cleaner, so there wasn't any cover to hide behind.

It seems even with brighter lights, the darkness only got deeper. The hunters were now the hunted.

Haha... Sorry for being late. I wanted to do atleast one or two chapters a day, but i got a bit burnt out and i have been getting stolen by DJ MAX | Respect V. Anyway, gonna try to keep uploading regularly. Yuri sub-plot is getting stronger as the darkness under Mou 13 reveals itself.

4