Chapter 33 – Outmatched
55 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Without giving me a chance to recover, he brought his sword to his hip in a fluid motion and thrust down at me. With christy behind me, I couldn't dodge, and so I was forced to parry the blade, but due to the power behind it my dress was still scratched. I kicked up at the semi-invisible figure and forced him back a few feet, allowing me the chance to climb to my feet.

Iris: "Christy, get out of here! Leave this to me!" I told her, quickly pulling out my second blade and connecting the two into a full-length katana.

Christy: "No! I can support you!" she said, backing away into the corridor and starting to form her magic. I knew she had some special frontier magic that could enhance others... Whatever, I didn't have time to think about that now.

The semi-transparent figure looked bored, just waiting for us to finish, with his longsword on his shoulder. His next words confirmed his attitude in a robotic tone. "Are ya done yet? I can wait all day. But I won't let ya go." Well, I figured as much anyway. I took a stance with my sword, this time focusing on the sword style Licht learned in his life. I gripped my sword with both hands, holding it above my right shoulder pointing forwards.

The man shrugged and completely disappeared from sight. I expected this, and remained still, focusing my senses on my surroundings, my breath becoming slow and shallow, like a tranquil pond. A slight sound. The disturbance of dust. A shimmer of light. A bad feeling. That was all I needed to strike out.

And so it came, the sound of air being disturbed. I changed the position of my blade in an instant and an invisible sword violently sparked against the hard spine of mine, being deflected away. In the same moment, I sliced upward and connected with hard metal. The disturbance on his armor caused him to shimmer into visibility, and he looked somewhat taken aback. My attack... Dealt no damage, however. A scratch... Wasn't visible.

Man: "Impressive counter, I've underestimated ya. Now I'll go for real... Not."

Christy: "Iris! Get out of here!" I heard from behind, including the sounds of a struggle. I whipped around and saw another tall, semi-transparent figure holding Christy's arms together behind her back, with a gun jammed into her side.

My heart sank, time slowed and sounds dulled. I could feel my grip getting tighter, my knuckles going white. I felt like I would faint from the sudden dread and fear. But it was soon drowned out by rage. Fury, at the enemies who have toyed with me and are threatening my friend. My vision turned red. My thoughts ran rampant as the dull voice rang out behind me from the man, but I couldn't hear him.

What could I do here? How do I fight back? A plan quickly came together in my head as though I could see the future. A feeling pulsed out through my body, a familiar feeling, and a voice...

Licht: Iris. Stay calm. You may channel your rage into power, but your mind must remain cool and composed.

Licht... I see. I understand what you mean. I sucked in a deep breath and tilted my head back. I could sense another two presences at the other exits to the room. I relaxed my grip, holding my blade with firm resolve. I let out a sharp breath, sighing with a whistle. I grabbed a smoke bomb from my pocket and swiftly detonated it on the ground, and the room was instantly filled with thick, white smoke. 

I launched the grapple sickle at the figure holding christy hostage. I heard the figure yelp in surprise and the sickle connect on the armor with the chord wrapping around them. I instantly started retracting and pulled them out of position. The gun went off and i felt the bullet pass by me, and I heard the clattering of armor as several voices began chattering.

Iris: "Christy! Hide!" I shouted out, regaining my sickle as I darted backwards towards the first figure. I saw him looking around in confusion with a hand at his temple, and I took an item from my bag. A Portable Pilebunker. I armed it and slammed it onto his side while I heard an audible "Oohf..."

I dashed away towards one of the exits in the room, and a moment later i heard a sound like a motor whirring loudly, and "PCHHHNK", followed by a pained shout.

???: "Nicolai! What happened?!"

??? 2: "What's up with all this smoke, geez!"

During the confusion in the smoke and the multiple shouts trying to confirm the situation, I ran into one of the armored ghosts, and immediately struck down with my sword, transferring as much energy as possible into the strike. The surprised ghost, smaller in size compared to the other two I saw, was instantly brough to their knees, and swung their sword up at me. Again, no damage... I dodged past them and retreated deeper into the facility.

??? 2: "Aah! They got past me! Sorry~" a female voice rang out from behind me. What the hell were these people? Are they really alchemists? If so, I needed better equipment if I were to take them down. I retreated down into the dark underground, and made my way through the winding corridors. I began to set chemical traps in the hallway and rooms, before barricading myself in what seemed to be a large, open store room. There were crates and barrels at the edges of the room, but the center was nice and open. It was here I'd make my final stand, as I put my sword aside for a moment and took out my gun. 

I connected it into a frame that threaded onto the barrel and connected into the piston mechanism. It now looked like a compact carbine with an extended barrel and a grip-stock combo. I picked up my sword again and leaned against a crate in a corner of the room.

I waited moments. Minutes. It almost seemed like tens of minutes. I refused to put down my guard as I watched the door. If they were pursuing, then they had dealt with all of the traps accordingly, and they had some kind of stealth skills, as I was unable to hear a thing. I tapped the stone floor with the tip of my blade twice. Tink Tink.

Good, I could still hear. I wasn't attempting to hide, so giving away my position wasn't a concern. Then the door flung open and I fired my gun at the empty air in the doorway. The bullets bounced off with sparks violently, and in the space appeared one of the armored ghosts, shimmering into view with their sword at the ready. Their armor was heavily angled, and the posture they took when breaching the door caused all of my bullets to ricochet... I clicked my tongue and entered a stance.

The ghost suddenly burst forward with tremendous speed, sliding across the ground and forming sparks in their wake. A second stepped into the doorway, holding a rifle and assuming a shooting position, but first I had to dodge and deflect the powerful thrust thrown at me from the first one.

The blade was barely deflected and I managed to dodge, forcing the sword to be buried in the crate I was infront of. Now with a view on the flat of their armor, I brought up my gun to shoot, but flinched- CRIICH the sound of lightning filled the room and I felt one of my legs being shot through. I yelled out and dropped to my knees, but whipped my gun up and sunk five bullets in quick succession into the side of the first one who just managed to rip their sword out of the crate.

???: "Kah-!" I heard a woman's voice grunt as they staggered back, the bullets didn't penetrate the armor but they did dent it. I was breathing heavily and slowly brought myself to my feet. CRIICH  Anticipating the next shot, I twisted out of the way and grit my teeth. I tossed my gun away and crouched down, holding my sword away from me and clutching the ground with my claws, my legs bent and spread behind me, getting ready to pounce.

Anger started seeping into my spirit. Frustration. Fear. I wasn't going to die again, not here. I felt power welling up from within my body and my muscles began to glow orange, heat radiating off my body. The ghosts looked shocked at my last ditch effort. I could feel the mana burning into the blade of my sword, and with a growl, the rifleman brough their gun up and aimed.

They fired, but I had already left that spot. I bolted forward, like red lighting shot out of a cannon. I slashed downwards, crashing into them and cutting straight through their armor in one motion. Blood sprayed out and sparks flew out like fireworks. The last thing I heard was a pained yell. Then it all went dark.

4