Chapter 47 – Sever Soul
59 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The doors opened up into a stone tunnel instead of the coral tubes of the previous area. I stayed inside the boss room for a few minutes to regain my stamina, then set out into the new path. The tunnel was rough, more like an ordinary cave than an underground corridor or mineshaft. I heard the doors to the boss room grind shut behind me, which gave me pause as I turned to watch. It felt as if I had crossed the threshold, putting that deep, dark place full of cosmic monstrosities behind me. And for now, I could forget about them. I carried on through the tunnel, taking my first steps towards reaching the surface.

I decided to take a fresh look at my status window to see how much mana I had left to use.

--- = --- = ---

Iris - Age 14 - Female - Level 54 - Exhaustion (Average), Mana-anemia (Minor)

Body - Sp: 200/300 MP 60/315

Stats - Str: 32, Dex: 44, Agi: 46, End: 34, Int: 41 Luk: -

Skills - Parallel Thought {3}, Sword skill {4}, Gunsmithing {1}, Mental Resistance {3}, Disease Resistance {1}, Mana Control {5}, Dagger Skill {3}, Critical Point {3}(^1), Dark Vision {2}, Marksmanship {2}, Pressure {4} > Intense Pressure {1}, Appraisal {1}, Falsification {1}, Primal Enhancement {4}, Cleave{1}, Magic Bolts {2}, Acting {1}, Wild Brawling{2}, Mana Coating{1}, Mana Blade{1}, Detection {1}, Regeneration {1}, Spellcraft {1} [NEW]

Title: A Sapling in Stone, Crimson Wildcat, Sky-Slayer, Cruel, Light in the Darkness

Capability: 360 (646) with Limited PE) (880) with Full PE)

--- = --- = ---

What was once a checkup on my reserves turned into an appraisal of my whole status. Killing that boss leveled me up several times... And transformed "Pressure" into "Intense Pressure". I wonder why? And more importantly, have I ever used pressure? I thought about actively testing it, but I had low mana as-is, so I put it off for now. As for "Spellcraft"... Is it because Licht made Arcana Magnum?

Licht: "Perhaps because I've been experimenting with many other spells, as well." he added, intruding on my thoughts as usual.

Licht: "Yes yes, excuse me for the intrusion. More importantly, Primal Enhancement went to 4 and our limited PE capability exploded. Seems we can use it further now after that last fight."

Iris: "Right... You did say that I used too much at the end. Maybe it's because of this that I didn't sustain as much recoil." I said, before closing the window and taking a look at myself.

My mana is limited right now, so my use of PE will be even further limited. For the time being I'll have to fight without using PE, aside from when my life is endangered. At least my base capability is at 360 I'm well into c-rank now, closing in on b-rank. I didn't notice until now, but my body has gotten quite muscular... Is it all the life-threatening situations I've been getting put through, or is it from my stats...?

My abs were becoming more pronounced, along with my biceps and other muscles... I could probably even beat some grown men in an arm wrestling match. Somewhere inside I had conflicted feelings, which tilted negatively when I thought of my chest, still small. Surely it would grow, surely I wont become a muscle monster...

I could feel Licht gazing at me with exasperation from his mental space, and I cleared away my unnecessary thoughts. If anything, I can rely on my body from now on, including this mechanical arm. And so, mentally and physically prepared, I carried onwards. The tunnel soon sloped upwards, and eventually spread out in multiple directions. I picked one by chance, and got to walking. And the more I walked, the more I discovered about these tunnels. Ancient bones had melded into the walls and floor, skeletons could be barely seen sticking out of their stone tombs. Ancient weaponry lay crumbled and forgot along the path edges or lost in small crevices.

These tunnels were a catacomb, a tomb for ancient warriors. I was determined not to join the dead, and hoped I wouldn't find any of their lost souls here.

Licht: "Behind!" The voice in my head boomed, and I dove forward, hitting the dirt as something missed me. I turned to look back, and saw long, dusty, brown arms devoid of muscle reaching for where I was. The arms ended in long, sharp, bony fingers, and the arms were attached to a mummified body. Brown, ancient skin pulled taut against bone, with vacant eye sockets and a wide, toothy mouth letting out and eerie, shrill groan. It had rotted, decaying rags for clothes that seemed to wrap and float around its form, while its legs were vacant of any feet below the shins. Its ghastly figure brought to mind a creature I saw in a bestiary, the Wraith. I hadn't expected to find an undead here, and as I clambered to my feet, I considered running.

Wraiths were troublesome creatures, moreso than other undead. They were only partly physical, and could phase their bodies through solid materials. Moreover, it was difficult to permanently kill a wraith, as its body can only be harmed by magic, and it was bound to a host corpse somewhere nearby. It shared similarities with a lich in how its original corpse acts as a phylactery to keep the creature "alive", but a wraith couldn't actually be more different. First, it was unintelligent. Second, it was bound to a limited location. And third, although it uses magic to phase its body, it can't cast spells.

...I really didn't want to run, but the pros far outweighed the cons. And so, I turned heel and ran away from the wraith. It gave chase, but soon lost interest and dissipated through a wall.

Iris: "Alright licht, keep a close watch on my surroundings with my senses, and lets navigate this tomb maze."

Licht: "You don't have to tell me to do something I already was doing" he said, and I carried on through the tunnel.

After the initial encounter, I successfully evaded more wraiths, and made my way through the catacomb system. Their were other undead creatures too, ancient skeletons equipped in worn-down, ornate armor and weapons. I put down the ancient warriors as I met them, and soon came upon what could only be the exit. There was a long, brick-paved corridor with recessed walls. In the recesses, were symbols, likely letters of this ancient civilization. And at the end was an obelisk in carved obsidian and dusty gold inlays. There seemed to be words scrawled across all over, and a larger portion in the center, seemingly written with more purpose. Maybe it was a message. I had Licht remember the symbols in order to decipher them at a later date.

Beyond the engraved obelisk was a set of stairs leading up to, once again, another large stone door. There were symbols on this door as well, this time engraved in some sort of black material. I had no idea what the scripture read, but I could feel a strong presence from behind this door. Either way, this was my only way out, and I slowly opened the stone gates and stepped into a large, rectangular hall, with large statues at either end. They were knights with their palms on longswords dressed in clearly ornate armor.

And in the center of the room stood an armored figure in dark, flawless armor. It was clean and angular, with a mechanical nature to it. The figure stood almost three times my own size, and slowly turned its head to face me. The helmet revealed a black skull wrapped in deep crimson fire, and slowly turned to face me entirely. It heaved a large, prustine greatsword into its mechanized hands, but did not take a stance. The sword was single-edged, yet thick. It had a slight tang, similar to a katana but on a larger scale. Lights flashed into life on its mechanical armor, sharing the deep crimson of it's skull. And next, a voice echoed through the room.

???: "Interloper... Nay, Interlopers, state your names. And from where has thy come? No humans remain behind the door you entered." It said. I could feel caution, and anger in it's voice. This fight felt exceedingly dangerous... Like my head could fly off in an instant. This was no monster with lacking intelligence or a slow moving beast, or a creature with unique senses I could exploit. This was a warrior. Intelligent, and ancient. I gulped.

Iris: "I'm Iris... And the one with me is Licht. We came from the surface." I said, pointing upwards. I could feel my body tensing up, settling into a stance unconsciously. "We fell into the sea between mountains... Almost drowned... And ended up at the bottom." I continued, as the ancient warrior listened. I gave it a few moments.

Iris: "...If possible, could we simply leave?" I asked, letting my left arm down, as it was the one I pointed with. That seemed to be a mistake. My left arm, I mean.

???: "...No. You have desecrated the tomb I guard, and the body of The Emperor. The proof is the arm that you have robbed. And now, you too will join this cemetery." He said, assuming a stance I haven't seen before. I, too, fully dropped into my stance, and drew my blade.

Iris: "...Fine, then. I'll just have to Sever your soul."

A battle between Iris and an ancient knight equipped with a mechanized armor... Look forward to it! Make sure to share the series if you like it, etc etc, play signalis. Fantastic survival horror game.

2