chapter 8
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sank my teeth into the neck of the guy above me. He was attempting to bring me down so that the other could ambush me. I quickly noticed Adam fighting three of them who circled him, his body moving at a breakneck pace. I pivoted my furry body beneath the massive man who was squeezing me and cut his jugular. Blood oozed out, wetting my black coat, and I could taste the rotten taste of Roberto's failed experiment. If only he knew how much Riley and I paid to be who we were. He would most likely have no problem redoing what I've done, but at what cost? I was confident that if his men knew what it took to become like us, they would refuse, turning him down. However, it is likely that Roberto will not tell them the true consequences of his actions.

- Rose, come on - Roberto attempted to persuade me - Can't you just let it go? You're obviously outnumbered -

Was he blind? I was clearly winning. The body pile in the park attested to my position: half mine credit, half Adam's. I had to be grateful to him for his assistance; he stayed to fight with me without hesitation, most likely enjoying the action we were caught up in because of me.

I snarled at Roberto while dodging two of his men charging at me full speed. Their teeth and claws ripped at my fur. I growled at them and charged, hitting one of them in the solar plexus, causing him to fall, then pivoted on my hind legs and jumped on the other, my teeth sinking deeply into his shoulder. Other three of them jumped on me right away, biting and clawing me. I let go of the one I was biting and escaped the horde that was directly attacking me. As I backed up to get some space to jump on them again, I hit Adam's leg. He offered me a quick smile while punching and kicking anyone who dared to approach him. He was really good in physical fight, and I was wondering where he learned to defend himself like that.

- Need help? - He asked me without looking away from the battle, a smirk on his face.

My fur rose as my bloody teeth snapped in his direction and my ears flattened on my head. He laughed while punching his opponent in the face, who flew into a tree and snapped his neck. He winked at me before charging my three attackers. He kicked the one I'd bitten before in the groins, and as he bent over, he hit him in the face with his knee. He then kneeled to avoid the other two clawing at him, only to hit them both in the chest with his elbow a second later. He was having a great time.

- Come on - he urged.

I jumped back into the fight, growling and biting anyone who came too close. I was a fury of fur, claws and teeth against Roberto's men, crashing bones with my paws. Soon, all of Roberto's men were dead or unconscious at our feet. I approached Adam and stood by his side, looking directly into Roberto's eyes.

- I think we won - Adam said, touching his chin, - and we gave you the honor of cleaning up the mess. -

Adam turned to leave and waved.

- Rose, you'll never win - Roberto stopped me in midstep - Good luck finding your sister - he said before walking away, leaving all his men behind without a care in the world, just like the asshole he was.

I turned to face Adam, who was staring down at me.

- Can you find her? - he inquired.
I nodded and proceeded to the light of the city I saw before Roberto's ambush, Adam swiftly following.

- Can you shift? - he asked as we approached the roadway.
I shook my head no.

- You can only locate Riley in this form? - he assumed.

I nodded. He was astute.

- well - he grinned - it'd be fun scaring some late walker -

I sighed and rolled my eyes. We had radically different ideas about what was “fun” .

He reprimanded me, saying, - You should relax more. Maybe - he added, his eyes twinkling, - I'll show you my concept of fun later -.

I stared at him, perplexed; was he flirting with me?

- Yes, I am - he said, winking at me, to my unspoken question.

Could you read my mind? I thought testing my thesis.

- this is a bedtime story for another time - he grinned - now let's find your twin -

I made an attempt to pout with a furry snout. He burst out laughing, pretending to wipe fake tears from his eyes.
What's the big deal? I was snarling at his disrespect. I didn't appreciate his attitude or the fact that I was at a disadvantage in that circumstance. He already knew a lot about me and my twin, but I knew nothing about him. What the heck was he?

- You're adorable – he mocked me – and you know my name and that I'm really humorous and intelligent. And, yeah, I can read your mind - he said with a smile.
Fuck. I suddenly realized he was listening to all of my twisted speculations about him while we were playing pool. As well as my horny considerations.

- I can only read your mind while you're in your wolf form - he chuckled - but now I'm intrigued about your lustful thoughts about me. -

I blushed, but thank God he couldn't see it. I chose to ignore him and concentrate on locating Riley in order not to jeopardize my feelings for him any more. He chuckled again as I tried to divert the direction of my thoughts. I groaned.

- So, how are we going to find her? - he questioned, finally ceasing torturing me with his charm.

Amara will find her for me, I thought.

- who's Amara? - he asked staring at me.

My wolf.

0