Chapter One: Hail… Adventurer?
51 4 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Jess, do you have a minute?”

She paused in the classroom doorway. Someone always managed to catch her before she could escape from the corridor. At least this time, it wasn’t a student. “Can it wait?” she answered. “I’ve only got about fifteen minutes and I need to run and print some worksheets.”

“I can walk with you… if it helps?” her colleague, Charlotte, offered. She remained in the hallway, clutching her planner to her chest tight enough to send her knuckles white.

“One second then.” Jess nipped back into the room and slung the straps of her bags over the nearest set of gas taps. She knew that she’d probably feel the wrath of the technicians if they saw it, but she’d be willing to risk that over trampled belongings any day of the week. She made sure to lock the door after exiting the room. Even when students were supposed to be outside on lunch, there was always the chance that one of the little darlings could sneak in and get up to mischief.

Charlotte waited quietly. She was new to the area, and it had quickly become evident that she wasn’t used to working in such a large school. Jess liked her. She was kind, with bouncing, brunette curls that matched her bubbly personality, and made Jess’s practical dark bob look austere by comparison. It was just a pity that she was so frightfully forgetful. Every time she approached Jess with those worried, doe eyes, Jess felt as though she earned another worry line on her behalf.

Jess started walking in the direction of the copier room and Charlotte kept pace beside her, their heels clicking in unison.

“I just wanted to ask you about the meeting after school tonight,” Charlotte said.

“The faculty one or the first aid one?”

“There’s a first-aid meeting tonight?” Charlotte asked, eyes going wide.

Jess unsuccessfully stifled her laughter. “Just assume that you didn’t put your name on the list. The one tonight is for staff that volunteered anyway.”

Charlotte and gave a soft sigh. “How on Earth are we supposed to keep track of it all?”

“Have you tried actually using the planner you bought?” Jess joked.

“I know. I know,” replied Charlotte ruefully, “I just get side-tracked so easily.”

“Speaking of which…” Jess prompted, but Charlotte merely wrinkled her nose in confusion. With a laugh, Jess added, “you wanted to ask something about the meeting tonight?”

“Oh!” Yeah. It’s for supporting students with dyslexia, right?” she asked. Jess nodded. “Am I just bringing the names of students in my classes?” Charlotte questioned, “Or do I need to bring examples of their work too?”

They reached a set of double doors and Jess held one open, allowing Charlotte to walk through.

“Just the names and a rough idea of how you’re supporting them is enough for tonight. Blue paper, overlays, that kind of thing,” replied Jess warmly, “Anything else?”

“You could teach my next class if you want?”

“Hah! I’ve got enough little monsters on my plate, thank you. I don’t think I need any more!” Jess laughed. Charlotte grinned in return and as they reached a fork in the corridor, they parted ways with a wave.

In a few more moments, Jess reached the copier room and hit release on the machine.

Jess whistled appreciatively as the whirring appliance began to spit out the printed papers she required. “Praise be, the toner gods.” She warily eyed up the single wooden door to the small office before hitching up her navy tights. Blasted things. She hated wearing them, but the idea of walking up flights of stairs in her above-the-knee length skirt without an extra layer between prying teenage eyes and her knickers was inconceivable. Blasted role modelling uniforms, her thoughts added disdainfully. Whether she wore a skirt down to her ankles or bikini bottoms in class, she was sure that it wouldn’t influence the trends of the students. The idea that wearing a skirt of the same length as students would influence them to adhere to the rules felt ridiculous to her. Jess might be fit (thank you, running club!) and of a good weight but she was still in her mid-thirties and hardly worthy of influencer status to a rabble of twelve- to fifteen-year-olds.

There was a slight flicker of the lights above her. Thorough scrutiny of the fluorescent bulbs yielded no clues to explain the phenomenon. She hissed under her breath, unimpressed. Staff had been warned that workmen were carrying out ‘essential repairs’ on the roof but the side effects seemed never-ending. Previously, a school-wide internet blackout had almost prompted mass scale riots. Students could be heard milling around in the corridors outside. Whooping and hollering became increasing loud outside the door. The thought, it’s like working in a zoo, passed through her mind.

The loud hum and clanking of the copier machine indicated that her chore had been completed and she grabbed the still-warm stack of paper before reaching for the door. Outside the door were streams of students, coalescing and meandering towards their various classrooms like debris floating in a slow-moving river. Jess weighed up her options. If she headed back through the corridor she had walked down previously, she would be caught in the tide of students and potentially late to her class. But, if she headed in the opposite direction and cut through the school dining hall, she could loop back outside but would potentially be wet if it were still raining. Worth the risk, she decided and hurried down the corridor towards the hall.

The lights in the corridor flickered more violently. Jess looked back with concern, but the students seemed not to have noticed. Please don’t be a power outage. Not today, she thought. Still looking back into the corridor, she blindly pushed the heavy wooden door open with her shoulder and stepped through into the hall backwards.

“Hail… Adventurer?” Came a friendly but confused male voice.

Jess looked around sharply, making eye contact with the boy as the door closed shut behind her with a breezy wheeze. She would have guessed that he was around fourteen or so, and probably one of the older students. It was difficult to tell under the oversized green hooded robe he was wearing. It reminded her of when her nephew wore her brother’s band hoodies. Look Auntie Jess, it’s a wizard dress.

He looked distinctly uncomfortable under her gaze. Maybe he’s one of the students in the D&D club?. Though they normally reserved cosplay for after school when the likelihood of ridicule was lower. She tried to smooth her quizzical expression into one that was friendlier and offered a quick smile.

“Oh, sorry there! If you’re looking for the drama halls, you’re at the wrong end of… the school…” she began but trailed off, eyes going wide as she took in her new surroundings. What should have been an open and airy school dining hall was a dingey room with a rough stone floor. Her head whipped around as she looked back to the door which she had walked through but, without explanation, it had vanished. She turned back to the student, shocked into silence; her smile replaced by a bewildered expression.

“My name is Nevin Algernon. Master Darkhault informed me of your arrival and -”

“I’m sorry, who?” Jess cut in.

“Ah… uh… M-Master Darkhault?” the boy replied. If he had looked uncomfortable before, it paled in comparison to the distress he showed now. He was staring at Jess as though she had grown a second head. He gave himself a quick shake and began again.

“My n-name is N-Nevin Algernon – “

“Look. Sweetie,” Jess said, her clipped words coming out more bluntly than she wished them to,” I don’t mean to interrupt, but you didn’t actually answer my question. Who is Master Dark… hold?”

“D-Darkhault. The… M-Master Alchemist,” he stammered weakly.

“Right. Darkhault,” she said, emphasizing the ‘t’. She licked her lips apprehensively before asking, “…and where are we?”

The boy, Nevin, stood in nervous silence for a moment before speaking slowly. “My name is N-Nevin Algernon. Master D-Darkhault informed me of – “

Jess cut in again, confused. “What are you doing?”

“I’m supposed to say the words to all adventurers.”

“Nevin, yeah?” she asked, and he confirmed his name with a quick nod before she continued, “You already said this bit.” Jess could feel her patience wearing increasingly thin. Her nerves were already fried. She was supposed to be teaching her class in five minutes. I don’t need this bull, she thought to herself.

“We’re supposed to say it word for word though,” he answered uncertainly, “Master Darkhault said that it’s important to be consistent.”

Jess sighed. Her brain refused to process the argument any further. “Fine. Ok. Say the thing.”

“My name is Nevin Algernon. Master Darkhault informed me of your arrival,” Nevin started, before pausing expectantly. Jess twirled her fingers, gesturing for him to continue. “And asked me to meet you here in Newhaven to pass on his instructions.” Jess raised an eyebrow but remained silent.

“In order to prove your commitment to the Coalition, he requests that if you’re strong enough to wield a weapon or cast a spell, you should head to the East. Wild boars are plentiful there, and he requires six unmarked livers to complete your initiation. You will find him in the Mage Wing of Steelvale City to the West.”

Jess stared blankly at him, dumbstruck. He shuffled his feet, visibly unsure of what to say next.

She looked around the room once more, before focusing her narrowed eyes on Nevin and asking, “… He wants… What?”

0