Chapter 4: Talent can be a curse
63 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Kekekek do you understand now?” After Edward explains how to feel the flow of mana and all my tedious questions are answered about the subject, I think I'm finally ready to attempt it. 

Nodding, I speak my thoughts. “Yes, I’ll give it a go. I think I roughly understand, but just to make sure. You’re saying even though I do not have too much mana currently, my mana can increase from controlling my flow in a particular way and this is why it is important?” 

“Sure, I suppose that’s a simple way of looking at how valuable the skill is to magi like us. But remember, the increase of mana depends on potential, your potential also defines your limits. There are very few ways to increase potential, however lucky for you, I doubt you’ll ever need such a thing unless you are trying to kills gods! Kekekekek..” 

“.. Shall I get started?” 

“Mm, indeed. Go sit over in that empty corner, meanwhile I need to finish forming the two talismans and clean myself up.” Edward finishes what he has to say and entrusts the task of finding my mana flow to me. 

While I have a basic understanding of it, I’m a bit put off by the fact he told me it usually takes weeks to find the flow of mana and months to control it. 

Sitting down in the empty corner of the room, I close my eyes and focus where Edward instructed me to focus. 

‘First the heart..’ 

‘.. Then the abdomen..’ 

‘… And finally the brain!’ 

As soon as I come to the enlightenment I feel as if my sight is blinded despite my eyes being closed, furthermore my body feels incredibly hot. Specifically, my brain, heart, and abdomen feel as if they are on fire.

‘Fuck! Edward never warned this would happen, did something go wrong?’ 

After some time the sensations fade and I can feel cold pathways throughout my body. As if hundreds tiny of rivers and streams are running within me. 

After a while I open my eyes to see Edwards close up face in shock. “4 hours.. 4 Fucking hours! Kekekekekekekek!” He seems to break down into laughter rolling about in his insanity on the floor. 

“Umm..? Edward, are you okay?” 

After a while he stops rolling and cackling, finally making an effort to get off the floor. “Yes my boy! More than good. I’ve chosen a good apprentice!” 

“Edward mind telling me what’s happened?” 

“Well my boy, you’ve reached that of apprentice rank. Even though it's the lowest rank, this takes people months normally. Even those in the highest of power with the highest of talents, it takes them at least 2 or so weeks! I was worried you’d fall behind your generation for starting to learn magic so late, however with talent like yours, you’ll be able to catch up.” 

“I see, that is good news. However you didn’t warn me about the burning feeling in brain, heart, and abdomen after finding my mana flow, what was that about? And why does it feel as if there is hundreds of cold pathways throughout my body?” 

Edward’s joy is wiped from his face instantly and is replaced by a extremely serious stare. “… Rook, about the last part, you aren’t play around are you? If you are joking, admit your wrongs right now.” This is the first time I’ve seen him look this serious, not even when one of his men was nearly decapitated. In fact its incomparable. 

I nervously respond. Thinking something is wrong and might put me at risk. “Y- yes? Is there something the matter?” 

“Those pathways so to speak, they should be empty. What you’re feeling is mana. Mana should not be there without direction from incantations or someone forcibly moving it there.” 

“So.. What does this mean?” 

After a sigh Edward breaks the information down for me to understand. “If mana is constantly present everywhere throughout your body, then you don't need to cast incantations. After practice you merely need to think of a spell for it to become reality. I’ve only heard myths of such a feat, apparently humans lost this ability long ago.” 

Just barely able to understand, I speak up with my thoughts. “R- right? I don’t see any issue in this, shouldn’t this be a good thing? After all, with adequate strength I will be able to lead a great life, no? Also how do you know of such things?” 

“Ahh, don’t question where my knowledge comes from. There’s some things I cannot part with. Not even to my apprentice.” Edward takes a breath and seems to reorganise his thoughts. “While you’re right about that it may mean you will be extremely strong in future. Whoever finds out you have an extreme talent humans lost long ago, pair it with your talent.. In future empires might go to war to obtain you in their forces. As long as you survive the envy of others.” 

Hearing him put things this way, I realise how big of an issue it may come to be. ‘So if I flaunt my potential and unique body, I may as well be asking for death huh? Not like I was planning on that anyway.. I should still be even more careful however.’ 

“Ugh, this will be a headache. Just make sure you tell no one about this, not family, not friends, not even the person you trust most. I shall do the same. Having my apprentice hunted by the empire is something I’d like to avoid if possible.” 

After a moment of silence between the two of us, Edward speaks again. “We shall ignore today’s events for now. We still have some time left, come, I shall teach you the basics of sigil’s. We can get food after you finish today’s lessons.”

… 

“Sigh, finally back home. How could he even think to give me books to study even though I haven’t stopped learning about sigil’s and sacrificing at all today?! Whatever, I suppose I should learn everything I can. Maybe I can figure out a way to get home.. But do I even want to? I suppose I will give this more thought later.”

Looking at my books Edward gave me, I was planning on reading them. There’s only one problem, I have no light. Putting them away on a table, I make my way to my bedroom.

‘Spells by just thinking of them huh? I suppose that makes things a bit easier for me. But it would be nice to actually know what attribute I have..’

Laying down I look at the ceiling. I wonder how people are doing back in my own world. Mother, big sister, and my little brother. I hope they are doing well. ‘Since I disappeared for them, they’re probably struggling with money right now.. I’m sure they’ll be fine, mother was always good at coming up with ways to make money, small businesses that run themselves..’ 

Curiously, I don’t care as much as I should. I feel quite guilty for that fact, which is quite a new emotion for me.

‘Whatever.. Let’s just sleep.’

The same time as yesterday I see.. Getting up from my bed I take a quite look out my window to check my suspicion. ‘Yeah, it’s her again.’ I can see Rebecca at my door just as she was there yesterday.

“Two minutes!” I just give an impolite shout and tell her to wait.

Opening the door while putting on my robe, a familiar and hated face comes into view.

“Always a pleasure, Rebecca.” I give a smile and greet her.

“Ugh, don’t call me by my name. We are not first name basis.” She sternly gives a warning, though I continue to smile and take it as an empty threat. She continues to talk before I can respond. “Follow me, there’s a place where you’re needed.” 

Hearing these words I get a bad feeling but I also have no solid reason to decline. I just assume this to be of Edwards doing. Giving a smile I respond to her demand. “Lead the way.”

After walking for 5 or so minutes, we near the gate of the village and end up exiting, now my suspicions increase. ‘Surely she’s not planning on..’

A few more minutes of walking and we enter a dark spot of the forest. Suddenly she stops and turns to me.

“Ahh right, apologies, but there isn’t anyway we can let a man who tried to kill one of us go. Please forgive us.” Ryan says while coming out from behind a tree.

Jack, who I previously sliced open with his own knife looks alive and well, however his face tells a different story.

All three of them draw a sword and point them towards me. Despite the fact my life is clearly in danger, I don’t feel threatened.

Jack's furious face manages to spit out a few words “I suppose I shall do the honours.” After finishing his words he lunges at me, swinging his sword.

The moment just before it is about to slice my head open, I smash it to the side and the sword is sent flying with a loud bang. Disbelief and fear fills his face.

“You wanted to do what now?” Even though I smile saying these words, all four of us can tell, whatever comes next, someone dies.

2