Chapter 7: Worth the sacrifice
73 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

‘Ahh, I should stop training for now, it’s probably getting la-’ Just as I think this to myself, I look out the window to see the sun is already up.

It seemed I unknowingly spent the whole night training mana. It took a bit of getting use to, since I don’t really circulate my mana because it is constantly always present. But I found some ways around it, such as speeding it up in particular places cause a similar effect to how normal people would circulate their mana. Thus allowing me to train mana. 

It’s a shame that it is only a technique for apprentice rank magi. After you reach novice and form your mana core in the abdomen, the technique to train mana changes drastically. 

Opening the door, I see the same hooded figure that helped me get back to the village after waking up in the cave.

“Rook, the chief asked me to make sure you’re okay. You’ve been in your house 3 days straight.” Hearing that last part made me internally panic. ‘Thr- three days?!’

Coughing, I clear my throat to respond. “Ah yes, apologies. I’ve been fine, thank you. I’ve just been healing my wound.”

Bringing my attention to my leg, it feels as if it has fully healed, which brightens my mood a bit. The man nods and begins to speak again. “Follow me, Edward is waiting for you.”

“Of course, ummm? Sorry I never caught your name.” 

“.. Liam.”

“Ah, of course. Lead the way.” I smile and change the subject back to the matter at hand before it gets awkward.

Entering the building I heard Liam call the “village hall” on the way here, I see Edward waiting for us. “My boy where have you been, aye? You got me worried for a second, kekekekek.” 

“Apologies Edward, I was healing my wound.” 

“Well it’s good to hear you’re better now. Liam you can leave, as for you Rook. Follow me, I’m not wasting anymore food on Ryan and Rebecca when you’ll most likely kill them.” He dismisses Liam and leads me to a hallway, where there is prison cells either side.

Stopping at a cell in particular, I see 2 familiar faces. Both of their faces turning from bored to pale the moment they see me. 

As I see them, I just politely greet them with a smile. “Ahh hello there, it’s been a few days. I trust you have both been well?” However my smile and polite greetings only seems to make them shiver.

Turning to Edward, I have a question for him. “If you could guide me, how much value could I get out of sacrificing these two?” 

Hearing this Edward breaks down into a cackle only bringing himself to be able to speak after tens of seconds. “Well, my boy. What would you have in mind? I’m sure you could get maybe 3 or 4 talisman out of them. You could also directly absorb their mana, although you will need to purify it for several days if you do so. Ryan is a journeyman rank warrior, so he has enhanced his body with aura.”

“Sorry, aura? Could you explain please?”

“Ahh right you must not know about warriors either. You can think of them as the opposite of magi, instead of controlling mana through incantations and sending that mana outside the body to release the spell, warriors convert their mana through muscles repeatedly, strengthening it. Instead of a mana core, they store mana in their muscles. When used this converts to aura through certain techniques.” 

“Sounds.. Complicated.”

“It can be. You can think of it like this, both warriors and magi use mana, but warriors strengthen their muscles with mana instead of increasing the amount of mana. After time and training, this mana converts to aura which happens when you are a journeyman warrior. There are other details but this is enough for now. One thing you should know is warrior’ are stronger than magi in a one on one fight. However in an army, magi are valued much higher.” He leans into my ear to whisper; “This doesn’t apply to you, my boy. Since the stronger you are as a mage, the stronger your body will become. Maybe there will even be more effects. You’ll just have to wait and see.”

“I see.. Thank you for explaining, I think I know what I want to do with them now.”

“Oh? And what will that be?” Edward strokes his beard while speaking.

“I shall sacrifice them to engrave a sigil on a ring. I’m thinking some sort of defence sigil.” 

Pausing a moment before responding to me, he begins to speak. “Yes, a good choice. Although you will need my help, I shall help you.. Kekekek, okay let us move them and get started, we can complete it by midnight if things go smoothly."

Looking at a silver ring with a sigil engraved at the top of it, joy fills me. “Thank you, Edward. This will be of great use to me, I’m sure.”

“It's nothing much. Don’t think anything of it, if I didn’t help you with this I would be a shitty teacher. Besides you now have practice in both sacrificing and inscribing sigil’s. Remember though, this ring draws your mana. In the case you have no mana, it’s just a piece of jewellery.”

“Just to double check, the rings effect is that it will toughen my muscle and skin when I am hurt, yes?”

Edward nods. “Remember, with this, it is mostly a defence to warriors. It only hardens your skin to a certain degree as well, so don’t think you can just accept a sword swing to your neck. On top of that, if another magi sends a fireball towards you, you may be safe from the impact but it will surely cook you aliv-”

Getting my mood put down isn’t the best feeling so I cut him off. “Yes, yes. I know, just allow me to be excited about this.” After I finish speaking I put on my newly crafted ring.

“Ahem, anyway boy. Come here, I have a few things for you. Here, take these.” He walks over to a book shelf and picks up a stack of books, 15 more or less.

‘Lowest rank sigil’s, low rank sigil’s, sigil quality, middle rank sigil’s, beginners guide to summoning, lowest rank curses, how to improve quality of sacrifices..’

Reading the names of the books, they all peak my interest. Hastily grabbing the books, I put them in my storage ring.

“Another thing, listen up.” Edward takes a serious tone. “In a month or so, after you become a novice mage, I’m thinking of sending you to the kingdom. When there, you need to make sure you enter the capital’s university of magic. I have a reference letter written for use, there should be no issuing getting in with it since I used my name I had back when I wa- ahem, anyway. We need to prepare you to get in.”

Ignoring the mistake he made of nearly bringing up something he shouldn’t, I question him. “How will I go there without even knowing my aptitude? And how do I hide my unique body?”

“Boy I’m not stupid, I’ve thought this through. For starters, your physical strength you need to hide, if you get found out say it is the effect of an artefact. To hide the fact you don’t need to speak incantations, just fake it and say the words before you launch the spell. And the problem of you not knowing your aptitude kekekekekek.” He starts to cackle and rushes over to a draw. Bring out a completely black metal bracelet. “One of my most prized treasures. This will allow you to use the aptitude of fire, it’s cost being you can’t use your normal aptitude while you are wearing it. Before you ask why I'm giving you a extremely expensive artefact like this, my aptitude is naturally fire, it’s useless to me.”

‘.. So in the meantime while I don’t know my actual aptitude, I can have the aptitude of fire? I suppose it’s not bad. What he has said has been quite logical as well, but there is just one thing.’

“Why? I mean why go through all this trouble?”

“You might not realise it but the university of magic is one of the most powerful backers of the kingdom. They even have two ascendant rank magi, they are incredibly powerful. You will be able to get the best technique the empire has to offer for mana training. A lot more as well, such as connections to powerful people, money, and a path that will lead you to success as a mage. Just so long as you hide your unique body, and the fact you practice black magic.”

I think over it for a minute before coming to a conclusion. “.. Okay, fine. I will do it.”

------

I'll try to keep posting daily uploads (=

Also if any of you have any feedback it would be great to hear it! C:

2