| ARC IV – I/II | Chapter 4: Aska Igrav
39 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 After making the place slightly more comfortable and cleaning up the bodies and blood, Alum restored their fireplace so that they could warm up. He also went to get those who managed to flee from the Mimic. He could see the guilt in their eyes, leaving their comrades behind—he told them it wasn’t something to be ashamed of; it was only human instinct.

 One of the students walked up to him, who just finished incinerating the last body. He seemed to want to ask why Alum incinerated the bodies instead of giving them a proper burial. But before he could ask, Alum answered as if reading his mind.

 “Sorry. They won’t be getting a proper burial; I can’t afford to get them back to the city; they may also turn into ghouls if left alone—creating danger for others.”

 He nodded and turned to the others. They all bore sad expressions, grieving about the loss. Alum didn’t say anything and gave them things that were left behind, serving as a memory.

 Now that they were all around a campfire, only the whispers of the wind and the sparks of flames echoed in the silent night. They blankly stared into the flames—some comforted one another while others cried as the reality of it all sank in.

 “If you have any inquiries, I’ll answer them. Or perhaps we should save it for tomorrow,” Alum voiced his concern.

 Reluctantly, the boy who’d put up a decently good fight looked straight into his eyes. “U…Umm, Mister. What is your name?” he asked.

 His eyes were wide, and glisters of the hot flame were reflected in his curious teal eyes. Naturally, Alum’s head leaned to the side slightly, wondering how he should answer him.

 “Alum Miller, a D-ranked adventurer,” he replied.

 The boy looked shocked, as though he understood the significance of his role and rank, even though Alum considered this part-time work. The boy seemed to think it was a joke that Alum was only a rank D, which Alum himself wasn’t going to comment on—policies were policies, after all. Regardless, the boy decided not to question him about it and thanked him for saving them.

 After thanking him, the boy tried to fall asleep. However, it seemed he wasn’t as tired as the others. He looked at the girl on his lap, who was still pale from blood loss. And there was a blond girl leaning on him, muttering ‘stupid brother’ in her sleep.

 (He’s a lucky fellow, ey?) Hilos suddenly joked.

 (What are you referring to, Hilos?) Alum wondered as he observed the boy’s struggle to fall asleep. But Hilos didn’t comment further, leading Alum to ask, “Having difficulties sleeping?” while bringing something out of the bracelet.

 The boy simply nodded and answered, “Yes…” with a distraught look filled with a sense of hopelessness, then shifting to a sense of longing. He then turned to his sister—his eyes filled with nostalgia but also a hint of pride.

 “Hey, Mister… I know you said to save the question for sunrise, but…” Before he could finish, Alum handed him a cup. Reluctantly, the boy took it, seeing how Alum had just prepared it in the fire just for him. “Thank you…” he took a sip. “Urgh… it’s terrible…” the boy unconsciously uttered.

 Surprised, Alum poured some for himself as well. As he took a sip, it wasn’t very pleasant. It tasted burnt and like terrible herbal medicine.

 “Mmm…you’re right,” he said without reacting to the horrid taste.

 “I-It’s okay…medicine is supposed to be terrible sometimes…” the boy said with a bright smile.

 Alum blankly stared at the boy. “It…wasn’t supposed to be medicine…” Alum confessed. “It was supposed to be sweet tea. Sorry, I’m…terrible at it.”

 Seeing Alum somewhat sad, the boy became flustered. “A-A…umm… it’s not that bad!” he said, gulping it all down. However, his face betrayed him as he made a grimace filled with disgust.

 Seeing it, Alum chuckled.

 “Sorry…it. Um…really is terrible,” the boy said with a conflicted expression. “Oh…Um, I forgot to introduce myself… I’m Aska. Oh, so…um…where exactly are we?” Aska asked.

 But before Alum answered, he handed Aska some sweets. “Let’s see. Where should I begin?” Alum pondered. He glanced at Aska, who stared intensely at the treat Alum had just given him. He closed his eyes and took a bite, then his eyes widened in surprise, sparkling in delight.

 (I expected it to taste as awful as the drink, but isn’t this ultra mega delicious!?)

 Alum smiled, seeing as Aska enjoyed it. He felt warmth in his chest, pleased that Aska liked it so much. Why wouldn't he? Amethely were the ones that made them.

 “You’re currently in a world called Lethren,” Alum began to speak. He turned his gaze to the vast sky. “It’s a place filled with magic, beasts, spirits—monsters, all that you can think of.”

 Aska listened carefully; however, his head tilted slightly, and a confused look surfaced on his face. “It might sound strange, but… Is Mister Alum perhaps not from this world?”

 “That’s correct,” Alum nodded.

 With an intense and curious peer from Aska holding the treat in an oddly cute manner, his eyes shone brightly. “T-Then! What’s this world like? From… a none native such as yourself?” Aska excitedly asked.

 “Let’s see… Inside the cities, it’s comfortable. But, as you might’ve realised, the wilderness isn’t so welcoming—it’s very rough even by this world’s standard.”

 Aska nodded.

 “To be frank, you were very unlucky, I must say,” Alum continued. “You’ve encountered a Pale Mimic, which shouldn’t be around here. Some, such as morphed creatures, have a tendency to play around with their victims. Mimics usually take the form of those they consume. You guys were awfully unlucky. It managed to have a taste of an Armoured Death Blade, usually rated a high B rank.”

 Aska swallowed the last bite, his eyes widening in surprise as he froze in place. “You mentioned you were D-ranked, so…um… Do monsters have an assigned rank, too?” Aska queried.

 “Yes. A Pale Mimic would be around a C-rank because of its deceptive and hostile nature. But, as with most things in this world, they get stronger depending on how long they’ve lived or how much intelligence they gain. In this case—while I doubt it managed to kill an Armour Death Blade, it certainly got stronger by consuming parts of one.”

 Aska gulped. “So…what rank would this specific one be?” He seemed reluctant but curious to know.

 “I’d say low B. Had it been an Actual Death Blade—part of the family of Dark Spirits. It would’ve been considered a high B. That is because something usually becomes a Dark Spirit after quite a long time. But it’s rare for a Death Blade to be a low rank, such as a high B. Those typically found range from A-1 to AA-5.”

 “I-I see…” Aska stammered. (Is it normal to solo something so far above your rank!?) he exclaimed in his mind.

 Suddenly, the girl who’d been leaning on Aska asked, “Can we get back to our world…?”

 (…when did she get up?) Aska wondered.

 “The possibility is near zero. I’d assume you fell through a spatial quake. Had you arrived through summoning, it would be different. However, I rule out the possibility of summoning due to the lack of divinity in this world.”

 “…how do you know all of this?” the girl asked suspiciously.

 The other students who were unable to sleep listened in. They pretended to be asleep, but it was blatantly obvious to Alum.

 “An ancient being, a God of sorts, who is capable of ending this world just by himself. In any case, he told us that to use summoning, divinity is required—this world lacks divinity.”

 “I…I see,” both the girl and Aska replied in shock.

 “Do you have any more questions?”

 Aska frantically shook his head. “I’m good! There’s…too much to take in right now!” he replied honestly. He turned to the girl next to him. “What about you, Julia?”

 Julia shook her head, and as her tears were about to surface, she buried her face in Aska’s shoulder. Small and barely audible sobs leaked through—but it wasn’t only from Julia.

 With a pained expression, Aska looked down at the girl resting on his lap. Her breathing was stable now, and she wasn’t as pale as before.

 (Hilda’s cute, innocent sleeping face, I… I have to be dependable for them all. Isak—my only friend left, won’t even look at me. His eyes are empty; we both lost Jack…whom the Mimic ate and—tricked us. Our other friends are missing. And Isak was closer to them than me; he and the others must be much worse off than me right now… I still have Julia, a family member—unlike the other students, who even lost their friends. I have to be strong!)

 With determination, Aska steeled his heart. He peered into Alum’s eyes with gratitude. “Thank you, once again, for saving us.”

“You’re welcome,” Alum replied.

 …

 …..

 …

 I, Aska, a seventeen-year-old boy, yes, BOY! I felt warm and fuzzy. Strange, right? I mean, we were almost murdered by a Mimic the previous night—somehow, I fell asleep

 Anyhow, I’m still in this cosy-feely warmth, hearing Mister Alum’s soothing voice the first thing my conscious awake—ahh, he has such a nice voice~!

—Wait… did I just hear…food!?

 My eyes shot open wide as I heard food—especially if Mister Alum were to prepare it! Heck! He made supposedly sweet tea taste like some godawful eldritch medicine!

 But as soon as I saw his face—properly, that is… Whoa!? How is that even fair!? Kyaa~! Seeing him in proper lighting! Wait! Aska, this isn’t the time to be fangirling! Wait, I meant fanboying!

 Heck!? What am I thinking!? There is no time for that! There are more urgent matters at hand! Also, I’m super jealous; what’s with his handsomeness…?

 “Wait, wait, wait! Mister Alum! I think you should rest some! You’ve done enough for us, staying up all night and watching over us! Let me handle it…” I nervously suggested.

 I can’t help it, okay? I fear for my life! Sure, I’m hungry, but that doesn’t mean I’ll sacrifice my sanity again eating something he made!

 “Hm? Is that so?” Mister Alum replied, looking somewhat relieved.

 We should be the ones to sigh in relief!

 He then tapped his bracelet, and something appeared—it was a whole ass animal!?

 Mister Alum drained the blood of it right in front of us. Not only was the creature’s blood drained, but so were my fellow classmates—their faces turned pale, mine presumably too

 That reminds me, my legs feel numb. I looked down—Miss Hilda!?

 “A-Aww… G-Good morning, Aska…” she adorably stammered.

 Nervously, I turned to my side; Julia still rested on my shoulder; however… the glare was…

—Gulp.

 “M-Morning Julia…”

 As I called out to her, she closed her eyes for some reason. She wouldn’t budge as she firmly hugged my arm.

 “Julia…um, can you maybe…”

 “Hmph! So it’s fine for Miss Hilda to rest on your lap comfortably!? But I can’t rest on MY brother’s shoulder!?”

 I felt like she oddly emphasised the ‘my brother’ part, or was it my imagination? I thought she hated me…

 “It’s not like that…”

 I looked over at Mister Alum, searching for help. He tilted his head, and as though he got the hint, he smiled gently.

 Ah! I knew it! I can rely on you—

 “I’ll do the cooking then.”

 Noooooo! That’s not iiiiit!

 …

  …..

 …

 As I let Olivia observe the city entrance, I strangely felt shivers run down my spine—it was strange. Did a weirdo get close to Alum or something?

 “YB? Are you cold? Ah! I have your jacket… S-Sorry, I’ll—”

 “No idiot, keep it. I just had a strange feeling, is all.”

 Olivia tilted her head, and with a worried look in her eyes, she hugged me. “T-Then! I’ll warm you up with my body!” she shyly exclaimed.

—If you’re embarrassed, why force it?

 “Like I said, I’m not cold! Idiot, get away from me!”

 “—No!” she puffed her cheeks. “You’re not very honest, YB!”

 Goddammit, this damn airhead!

 

A/N

Ah…Aska my favourite trap xD

 

image

 

2