IF Story: Happy Birthday Miu! Part 3
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 On a dark stormy night, loud screams of echoing lightning strikes danced in the sky; brutal rain hailed down, and intense winds howled loudly.

 Alum sighed at the sight and glanced over toward the TV. They talked about how unpredictable this weather was and seemed to have come from nowhere—it wasn’t often that these sorts of weather conditions soared through, after all.

 “I wonder how they’re doing…” he uttered under his breath.

 All classes had been cancelled, and it was just yesterday he’d gotten together with Miu—albeit on the grounds of ‘testing things out’.

 Oddly enough, he didn’t find it too bad nor did he question the actions too much yesterday—suggesting a trail and kissing her on the forehead was easy for him. He didn’t think there was much emotions behind his actions, but he realised he was unexpectedly wrong…

 In his chest was this warm and tingly sensation. Warmth was something he’d experienced before, but this new uneasy feeling in his chest made him restless and he wasn’t sure how to put it.

 (Have I really fallen for her?) he wondered over and over. But even so, it was all…very strange to him. (I didn’t think anything would change…) he honestly thought. (If I really did fall in love with her. Why?)

 “But there is one thing I know. I do love Noel and Emely… But I don’t believe I love her…at least, the feeling is familiar, but at the same time…not? Could it really be…?” Alum shook his head.

 (No…isn’t it too early for that? But…I don’t have anything to compare to…)

 But as he said those words aloud and looked out the window, he saw a reflection of a woman in her early thirties. Her hair was a little wavy and jet-black, and her golden eyes were at first filled with confusion but soon became soft and sparkled in excitement.

 “—huh? Alum? Did you say you loved me!?” a warm voice suddenly rang.

 “Oh, Emy…I…didn’t mean for you to hear that…” Alum somewhat shyly scratched his cheek.

 Emely hugged him tightly and was almost on the brink of tears. “Aww, I’m so happy!” she declared excitedly. “I mean, you never say things like this, and you love Noel too? That’s so sweet!”

 “Forget that part at least…”

 “Nope! I won’t! But I’m not telling him if that’s what you want,” she playfully winked as she poked his cheek.

 “Mm…thanks.”

 Then, Emely suddenly grinned. “So? Who’s ‘her’ you were referring to? Is it Miu?”

 Alum nodded. “Yeah, it’s Miu.”

 “Oh? Did you fall for her or something? I mean, she’s very pretty and does well in class—always pays attention as well,” Emely said while poking Alum’s cheek. “Unlike this bad boy who’s dazed all the time,” she teased.

 “No.” Alum tilted his head, seeming a little confused. “I…don’t believe it to be the case?”

 “…What do you mean?” Emely inquired curiously.

 “I’m dating her, but… It’s not like I get those fluttery heartbeats, and neither does my heart skip.”

 “…Huh? You’re dating?!” Emely gasped in surprise.

 “Yeah?” Alum nonchalantly replied. “We started dating yesterday.”

 “I see~, you sly dog—making a move while Noel wasn’t there~” Emely playfully commented with a wide grin. She shifted her position to hold him by the shoulders and looked straight into his eyes. “But you know,” she voiced warmly. “Love comes in different forms, and it’s not always exciting like those books you read, you know?”

 “…..”

 “Oh, you didn’t think I’d know what kinds of books you’re reading?” Emely teased. “Well, it’s generally like that—exciting, anxiety-inducing, and jittery as if you’d blow up with happiness! So…it’s not necessarily wrong. Or…well, it might be too early to decide that, don’t you think?”

 Still quiet, Alum averted his eyes from her, contemplating what to feel about what she’d just said. (What do I feel for her?)

  …

…..

  …

 On a warm day in early autumn, Miu found herself lost in a desolated part of a massive campus. While she was in her last year of high school, it was a great opportunity to attend the tour of the school she was interested in. However, the campus was much larger than that of the high schools—somehow, she’d managed to get lost and didn’t know where her classmates were.

 (…My phone ran out of battery.) She lamented with a deep sigh.

 “The others are probably looking for me…” She looked around but couldn’t remember how she got where she was. “I should’ve held it in…” she grumbled.

 Looking around, she saw many facilities that looked alike; besides that, the scenery was green and lush. But that wasn’t all. The warm summer breeze coursed through with a slightly sulphurous scent.

 “…It’s a nice day at least.” Miu sighed.

 “Hey there, pretty.” a sleazy voice suddenly called out to her.

 Miu turned her gaze toward their direction, and as she’d expected, the guy was as sleazy as the voice. But he didn’t seem to be alone. (They seem like playboys.) Miu noted in her head.

 “UmCan I help you with something?” Miu asked politely.

 “Are you lost?” one of them asked.

 Sweat started to run down her back as she didn’t break from their gaze. People had told her plenty of times how naive she was, but even she could tell they leered at her from head to toe.

 “No… I’m fine, thank you,” she smiled despite her discomfort.

 “Is that so? You seem lost,” another remarked. “We’ll guide you around; how about it?” he suggested.

 “Ah…um, no, I really am not lost. The view is great!” Miu lightheartedly expressed how she did not want to go anywhere with them.

 Some of the guys seemed to take the hint, but one was still persistent, “In that case, I can show you a great spot,” he replied with a gaze stuck on her chest.

 “!?! No thanks…” Miu broke her smile and glared at him while covering her chest.

 “Aww, come on! It’ll be great!” he exclaimed.

 “Dude, you should stop…” one of his friends said. “She’s clearly uncomfortable. Besides, we’ll get scolded for sneaking away.”

 (…They’re not students here?) Miu sighed in relief.

 “Oh, shut it, will you? You’ve always been a coward, like, don’t you want to walk around with this pretty girl?”

 “Dude! Not when she’s clearly uncomfortable.”

 “…Pussy.”

 “What did you call me?” the friend said as he raised his fist while grabbing the other guy by the collar. “Say that again,” he dared.

 “Pussy,” the friend reiterated with a smirk.

 “Nonono, guys…don’t,” the third friend tried to de-escalate the situation and tried to pull the two apart.

 “—what are you doing?”

 A boy Miu’s age suddenly appeared. He seemed worse than the current boys who were about to fight, and his cold eyes instilled danger in her, but she couldn’t help but admire their golden colour that wasn’t even focused on her. On a closer look, even though he had an aura that screamed one to stay away, he was undoubtedly good-looking. He was tall, had a somewhat cute face despite his cold demeanour, and his eyes were the highlight with his jet-black hair to go along.

 The two glared at him and unanimously said, “It doesn’t concern you!” while the third friend looked apologetic toward both Miu and the boy.

 The boy glanced at Miu and noticed her legs shaking slightly—he could tell they’d gone slightly numb due to being frightened. Not caring about the trio, he walked up to Miu and grabbed her wrist. Feeling scared, her eyes shot close, but his grip was more gentle than she thought. Without saying a word, he began walking, and Miu would follow suit.

 “Hey! Where are you going?” one of them yelled.

 The boy stopped briefly and glared intensely at the sleazy guy, giving them a death stare. Even Miu shuddered at the sight of his grey eyes.

 (…Did his eyes just change colours?)

 But as if her eyes played a trick, they appear golden as they first did. But without much thought, Miu wordlessly continued to follow him as he gently held onto her wrist until he released her when they reached a place with a spectacular ocean view.

 “Wow…” she unconsciously uttered.

 The boy then seemed to have forgotten about her existence as he sat down on a nearby bench. He opened his pocketbook and read without a care.

 (…Should I thank him?) she wondered. Suddenly, she found herself chuckling as she noticed the board which was a map that showed the whole campus.

 But before she could thank the boy or even ask for his name. A phone suddenly rang, but it wasn’t hers… the boy seemed fed up but reluctantly picked up his phone, and she didn’t want to interrupt.

 “Yes, what is it? Mm, I’m currently reading. What? Okay…? I’ll be there, I suppose…” he said and hung up.

 But as Miu was about to call out to him, his annoyed expression made her think twice, and she averted her eyes. Just like that, he left, and she wasn’t able to thank him. However, she could feel her heart beat fast, and she felt somewhat restless.

 (What is going on?) she wondered. Her gaze was on the ground, and her clenched palms were pressed on her chest. “This…feels weird,” she grumbled as she watched him leave.

 At the time, not only did she fall in love for the first time, but it was for a strange, aloof boy—awkward yet kind. Despite his cold eyes and aura, his warmth seemed somewhat lonesome.

 A year later, when she entered the university, she finally met him again and learned his name. “Alum Miller…” she found herself calling his name with a shy smile.

 

 

 

1