| ARC I | Chapter 5: A Saint’s Confession & A Friends Dilemma
2.9k 13 85
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 With the battle concluded and the aftermath that left many severely injured, Amethely helped the other medics to treat the corrosive wounds. And since there weren’t that many high-ranking healers, they struggled to treat all the patients.

 Even after all that, she and others had a lot of work to do as she ran around, helping everyone. They saw their Saint work hard and started to push themselves even more. Even Chely…. And while she wasn’t that great regarding recovery magic, she tried her best nonetheless.

 And so… days continued like this until they’d exhausted themselves. The cases rapidly dwindled, but the exhausted mages also became a problem as many collapsed due to the strain.

 …Amethely’s case was the worst of them all…. She’d collapsed from the overuse of mana, breaking her mana foundation and fell into a coma. The root cause was probably the use of sacrificial magic… not only that. She’d used high levels of magic one after the other.

 …in almost every recorded case, this side effect causes the inability to perform magic. But… in her case, it was a little different as she was the only one to have recovered from it.

 …

 …..

 …

Ahh

It’s cold…

Wherever I look, there’s darkness.

I’ve experienced this feeling ever since I was a child. But no matter how many times… I can never get used to it—I used too much mana. Now… perhaps this will be the last time….

…I keep gasping for air. It’s suffocating each and every time—as if I’m falling into an abyss.

—No matter how much I struggle, all my moments are restricted—no matter how much I try to scream, nothing will come of it.

At least, I wish for a wonderful dream. But that remains to be but a wish.

Everything is covered in darkness, and there’s nothing but the sound of my thoughts.

…pure silence.

 …

 …..

 …

 Waking up, Amethely felt slightly uncomfortable. She had the same dream over and over again—ever since childhood, she’d always have these dreams whenever she broke her mana flow… she’d find herself in a familiar place, just that the perspective had changed instead of taking care of a patient. She was the patient.

 (This is… a private room?) Amethely thought with an apologetic look on her face.

 She wanted to leave, but her body refused to listen. She was unable to move as she felt weak. She was unable to use mana, which left her no choice but to lie down quietly.

 (I can’t move, and I’m barely able to utter any words…)

 Amethely was hoping that someone would come, but… she was all alone. She… felt lonely and wanted some company—only if it was for a short period of time.

 (It’s slightly cold…) she thought.

  At the same time, she was reminded of the kind gentleman who lent his warm coat to her.

 (…If I remember correctly…it’s the military’s casual wear.)

 Just remembering it, she felt slightly warmer, and with a soft and innocent smile, she fell asleep in the newly found warmth in her chest. It was fuzzy yet a cosy feeling.

 …

 …..

 …

 “...How is she?” Chely asked while peeking into Amethely’s room.

 The medical professional had a severe expression, “She’d damaged her mana foundation again. It’s not flowing properly, and from her previous medical records… we estimate it to take about two weeks to fully recover.”

 “...again… I see. Thank you,” Chely said before entering the room.

 Seeing how soundly asleep Amethely was, she sat by the window. (Geez, you…) she thought. And with a slightly bitter expression, she felt guilty. ‘I’m sorry…’ Chely uttered.

 But… with a warm and gentle gaze, she gently placed her hand on Amethely’s head. Her hair was silky and smooth. Chely began stroking it like she’d done in the past, expressing words of affection, “...You did well, Ame.” Chely then shifted her gaze to the doctor, saying, “Thank you….”

 The doctor had been warmly gazing at them with a gentle smile. She nodded a little to say that she’d received Chely’s thanks before leaving the two sisters alone.

 …..

 …

 Some time passed, and Amethely could feel someone’s presence. It felt familiar to her, and as she slowly opened her eyes, she saw Chely peeling fruits while gazing out the window, ‘…sis…?’ she uttered.

 “Hmm? You can rest more, you know?” Chely gently said.

But

 Amethely lightly shook her head, making Chely chuckle. Her cute little sister, who’d just woken up, had messy hair and a drowsy look. Not only that… Amethely would adorably reach out her hand, grabbing hers.

 (…How can I not treat you like a child…?) Chely pondered.

 Amethely had an apologetic look on her face, ‘I’m sorry…’ she uttered while she tightly grasped Chely’s hand. And seeing this cute side of her sister, Chely gently patted Amethely on the head.

 “Why are you apologising, Ame? If anything… I should apologise… I felt extremely distraught when you collapsed… I’m sorry to have you work so hard….”

 She was upset that she didn’t notice how much Amethely was pushing herself. Gritting her teeth, Chely avoids her gaze.

 Amethely was unable to properly convey what she wanted, so… she took Chely’s hand and placed it on her cheek, “It’s warm,” she said. She was happy that Chely had been worried about her. But at the same time, she felt apologetic for bothering her, “I’m sorry, big sis, and thank you—”

 Before Amethely could finish her sentence, Chely hugged her, “I’m glad you’re okay… that’s all,” she expressed. “...so don’t say that, okay? Don’t apologise….”

 Amethely didn’t say anything and meekly nodded.

 After that brief exchange, they both had some small talk, and Chely tried to feed Amethely some fruits.

 “Sis! I-I can eat on my own!” Amethely protested with a slightly sour and grumpy expression. “It’s always like this! You’re treating me like a child again!” Amethey later said, taking the fork for herself and eating the fruit while pouting.

 This, of course, led to some teasing from Chely, “Pfff… ah-haha, geez, not a child, huh?

 Amethely glared at her big sister, asking, “Why is everyone so mean to me these days…?” she then lied down again, ‘Even that gentleman was teasing me…’ she later uttered.

 But instead of looking displeased, Chely noticed that Amethely was acting strange… she was complaining but was blushing and being jittery at the same time. She had a wavy smile on her face, and it was as if she was trying not to smile….

 (…huh…?) Chely froze when she saw it. (W-what is this!? She’s adorable!)

 She’d never seen such an expression on Amethely before, but she did recognise it… the blush, the restlessness. And her eyes…. Amethely had the eyes of a maiden in love! Chely can recognise it any day. After all… girls with that expression were shiny and dazzling!

 “..........” she was at a loss for words.

 (Wait, wait, wait! A GUY!? Who in the world made my sweet and cute Ame even cuter!? I need to find himWAIT! Will I have a brother-in-law now!? I’ll have an adorable sister and brother!? Way to go, Ame!) Chely grinned, and her eyes sparkled.

 Seeing Chely’s strange behaviour, Amethely felt something. (…I have a bad feeling all of a sudden.) she thought while shuddering. It perplexed her, so she reluctantly asked… “Umm… big sis…? What’s wrong?

 As if she’d been waiting for this question, Chely grinned, exclaiming, “Weeell~ so who’s the guy~!?

 “...!

 Amethely gasped. She began to cough as some fruit had gotten stuck. And inside her head… (Noooooo! When did I blur that out!? Uuuuuuh~! I’m such a dummy!)

 “Hehehe~,” Chely giggled. Seeing her sister in distress gave her the urge to tease her. “So our precious Ame has finally found her prince~ aww… how nice~!

 “Awawaawa!” Amethely’s eyes wandered around as if trying to avoid Chely’s smug gaze.

 “...was he handsome?” Chely teasingly inquired with a soft, ‘Eh~hehe~” afterwards.

 At this point, Amethely was burning up from the inside, “Nooo! Big sis Chely is a bully! I-It’s not like that at all! I-I accidentally fell asleep at the park, and… and he lent me his goat…. T-That’s all!” she retorts while stumbling on her words. Realising this herself, her face reddens even more as her eyes start to dart around the room again, making her slightly dizzy.

 “Hmm~ so he wasn’t—

 Amethely quickly corrected her, saying, “Nooo! That’s not it. He is very handsome!

 Chely giggled. She knew full well that her younger sister had fumbled with her words and said things out of order. She even went as far as to correct herself… (Really… just who captured her heart?) And as she thought more about it, she realised something… “Wait… he lent you a ‘GOAT!?’” Chely exclaimed, knowing full well that Amethely had misspoken.

 And fully knowing that Chely was poking fun at her despite knowing what she meant, she retorts with a “Noooo! I meant coat!” in a flustered manner.

 ““......””

 “...Oh, my~ he lent you a coat while you slept? Oh, hooouh~? How unusual for you to let anyone get close!

 Amethely was just digging herself a deeper hole at this point… and so… as a final resort, she dove head first into her pillow and covered herself with the blanket while sneaking a glance. “Meanie,” Amethely expressed with a discontent pout.

 Chely ignored it and asked, “So what happened after that?” while poking Amethely’s soft cheeks.

 On the other hand, Amethely agonised over the fact that she’d leaked the little secret she’d been keeping to herself for the past few days. Feeling that it was meaningless to keep it from Chely, she decided to just confess, “...he also fell asleep, and when I woke up, I felt warm and fuzzy. Apparently, I had been leaning on him….”

 “Aww, what a lucky guy! And how daring of you! Your sis approves~!” Chely exclaimed as she hugged Amethely with much enthusiasm.

 At this point, Amethely knew that confessing was the only way, as she had nowhere to flee, so… she accepted her fate. “He was kind to me, and we ate snacks together afterwards.”

 Chely nodded and joyously listened, “Then!? And then!?

 “...that’s all,” Amethely replied while averting Chely’s excited gaze. Even she knew what was coming, and she knew she’d messed up.

 And as expected, the excitement on Chely’s face quickly turned into a dubious one, “Did… you even ask for his name…?” Chely queried.

 “.....” Amethely just quietly turns her head away even more, not answering the question.

 (Oh, dear lord... she doesn’t even know his name! It just adds to the mystery!) Chely thought, she felt excited but…she had to find out who this man was, otherwise… it would be quite troublesome. “How does he look? You do know that, at least, right?

 Hearing this, Amethely shyly nodded as she peeked with a single glance. “Yes… he appears to be a foreigner, a little taller than me. He has jet-black hair and golden eyes. A-And a-as said… he’s h-handsome too….

 “Pff~ ahaha, how cute~!” Chely chuckled. “But… I see….

 Amethely knew she’d said something unnecessary. Still… she’d already confessed everything. She might as well come clean despite the embarrassment that came with it.

but

 After hearing the description of the mysterious man, one figure came to Chely’s mind. (…a little taller than Ame, jet-black hair and golden eyes… and a foreigner at that… why does that sound familiar? Don’t tell me it’s…) Chely had a hunch, so… she decided to ask for more details. (It's just a guess, but could it be that guy…?)

 “Say… Ame. Does he have a sleepish look on his face? Or does he feel aloof?” Chely inquired.

 Amethely’s eyes widened, “Yes! Do you know him, big sis!?” she excitedly inquired.

 And with her hopes up, Amethely’s eyes sparked. So Chely knew she needed to be spot on, and if they weren’t speaking about the same person, she might’ve led Amethely to have false hope….

 “Does he have casual military clothes?” Chely asked, hoping it would be the case.

 Amethely squirmed in excitement, “H-he does!

 (…I was spot on,) Chely thought…. And the reason for her suspicion was that there were a few people with black hair. Their princess also had black hair, but even fewer had golden eyes. (…judging by her expression, it has to be the same guy. I’m confident.)

 “...well, if we’re both referring to the same individual, then he’s a wanderer from another world. He just arrived in the capital a few days ago—did you meet him a few days ago?”

 “...I-I did!” Amethely exclaimed.

‘Sigh…’ Chely let out a soft sigh of relief that the man her sister had fallen for was an acquaintance and not some complete stranger.

Well… sort of….

 “S-sis! Do you know where he is!? Or rather… he had military wear…so he should be...

 Chely has never seen Amethely so excited, especially in this way. So… she giggled, saying, “He should be in the military dorms. He and his friend had just arrived, and they should be learning about this world and about magic in one of the available facilities with other trainees. Though… seems like some of them can naturally use magic despite coming from a magic-deprived world….

 Amethely’s eyes were brimming, and it was sparkly, making Chely come up with a sudden but great idea. “Hey… Ame. How about becoming an instructor?”

 Surprised, Amethely considered the possibility, “Is… is it alright?” she cautiously asked.

 “Well,” Chely felt a little hesitant to reply, but… “We’ll have to ask The Pope…. However, if we consider the fact you’re rarely needed unless there’s an emergency, I see no reason for him to reject the notion. So… it’ll be fine… I think.”

 (…sis isn’t wrong, but being called unneeded kind of hurts… then again, I primarily study magic and swordsmanship. On occasions, I tend ceremonies and… wait… do they really need me…?) Suddenly, Amethely felt saddened by her own train of thought.

 At the same time… (Then that’s the perfect excuse!) She excitedly got up from her bed, saying, “Big sis! Let’s ask Pope Lue right away!” before realising she’d gotten ahead of herself as she ended up falling back down due to the dizziness.

‘Uuuh,’ Amethely groaned. She felt embarrassed and covered her blushing face. (What a blunder…!)

 And while Amethely agonised over her condition, Chely launched another hug attack, “Ame, you’re so cute~!” she exclaimed. “But there’s no need to rush, okay~?

 “Okay… sis.”

 …

 …..

 …

 It’s now been a few days since Noel arrived in Ilifel, and along with the others, he was given two options. It was either to become an ordinary citizen or join the military.

 The answer was clear for most of them since joining the military meant learning magic and combat. And… since most of them are curious about their powers, they opted for that route. The rest… well, they’re not many people, to begin with. To be exact—there are 14 other worlders, including him.

 Noel had convinced them to stay together, and since the majority had chosen to be in the military, they all went along with it, albeit some were bitter about the decision.

All joined—except for one….

 “C’mon, Alum… why don’t you want to join the rest of us?” Noel inquired, sitting across from his friend with crossed arms.

 They were currently in Alum’s room and had a little talk. The others were free to do whatever they wanted. Some hulled up in their room—Alum was one of them.

 “...There are things I want to do,” Alum replied as he sipped his sweet beverage.

 Noel made a complicated expression, “And that is…?

 “.....”

 “Sigh I don’t get it…. Like…. We get to learn magic, combat and other things. We don’t have to think about many things, such as food and rent, and we’ll have work. So… I just don’t get you….”

 “I don’t see any issues with the other option either,” Alum replied.

 (…This guy… seriously? I just don’t get it… isn’t he interested in magic or combat? I certainly am, but… maybe that’s just me trying to keep myself from losing it…. Yet he’s calm as always. We’re in an unfamiliar place. Just… why won’t he just understand that we’ve only got each other?)

 Noel had difficulty understanding Alum’s behaviour sometimes. He’d known him for a while and found most of his actions to somewhat align with his own, even to the point that he was able to predict him. Yet… there are instances like this—where he fails to understand his friend's motive.

 (…he’s usually indifferent and just goes with the flow. What changed?)

 However… Noel wasn’t going to give up just yet. He knew Alum well enough, so… as a last resort….

 “...Then, would you stay for us? For Emely, Miu, and me? We only have each other, and I feel that it’s a waste to split up—especially in this unfamiliar place. So… pretty please…?” Noel looked at his friend with big, pleading eyes.

 If there was something he’d learned about this callous prodigy, then it would be the fact that he had a soft spot for people close to him and small animals. He’s also easily persuaded when sweets are involved….

 And hearing the plea from his friend, Alum stiffened, “...fine,” he said. He took a cookie and glanced at Noel. Letting out a sigh, saying, “I’ll stay in the base—But I’ll be on my own.”

 “...wow, aren’t you demanding?” Noel bluntly asked. Still… he sort of expected it to come with a condition. But this one was rather hefty… (How will you get permission for that…?) Noel pondered. “...I’ll try to make it work somehow!” Noel declared.

 “...and how would you make that happen?” Alum smugly asked.

 “Well… I can try, and it’s preferential treatment—I’m not really expecting anything, but even if that fails, I’ll keep you here one way or another!”

 Noel had a grin on his face as he stood up, declaring that Alum wouldn’t be able to just do as he wished and leave now that they were in this together.

 And with a sullen expression, Alum caved, “Fine, I knew it’d end like this anyways,” he said as he turned away.

 (You seem awfully happy despite all of it, though…) Noel thought while he softly smiled. (Seriously… this guy’s such a hassle.)

 …..

 …

 A few days passed since their small discussion, and surprisingly, Alum’s request was accepted. It took Noel by surprise. Even Alum was surprised by this… after all, he’d been pretty demanding ever since he came to the base.

 (I assumed I really pushed it this time. Yet…)

 Alum let out a sigh, and Noel found it strange, thinking, (Why are you sighing…? Did you really want to venture out that badly…?) But he had to wonder… (Still, how did this get through?)

 He asked the messenger for more details but was told to wait. And as the messenger came back, the two of them had to follow him. He led them to a room that looked like an office, but there were swords and shields hanging on the wall. There was also an intimidating-looking man waiting for them behind a desk full of paperwork. The man seemed to be around 50 or so and had a beautiful coral-coloured bird on his shoulders.

 (He seems busy.) Noel thought. (But… does he really have time for us?)

 The man noticed that Noel had a complex expression and started to speak. “Welcome,” he said. His voice was stern. (As expected of a military commander…) Noel thought as he gulped, feeling nervous.

 “I heard you did well yesterday, Noel, was it?” the man said, complimenting Noel for practically destroying all the practice targets with precision.

 (He takes notice of that? Even though I’m just some new recruit among other talented ones?) Noel was surprised since he didn’t think that someone of high status such as him would even care… (Even though this base is enormous?)

 Noel had gotten a little shy due to getting complimented and didn’t really have anything to say but to sincerely accept his words.

 “...Thank you, Sir.”

 The man seemed satisfied with his reply and looked at Alum, “So…? What happened about wanting to leave and do things your way? Did you have a change of heart? Of course, having more talented people here is welcomed. The more, the better, right?” the man asked in a tone as cold as his smile.

 Alum shrugged, “Well, I suppose Noel convinced me otherwise, and there are a few but not many downsides to it, I suppose.”

 “!?!”

 Noel panicked when he heard Alum’s reply. He stiffened and thought, (Ahhh! Idiot! Are you trying to get kicked out!?)

—Instead, the man smiled. “Hmm,” he mused. “That’s some intriguing way of putting things. Downsides, huh? Such as?” the man asked and released mana along his question, making the air heavier as he stared Alum down.

 Alum just lightly tilts his head and ponders about it, “Freedom? That’s one? Besides, I feel like I won't be able to relax… that’s all.”

 “Oh~, I know you’ve got plenty of reasons. Why don’t you just list them to this old gramps?

 “......”

 The situation got even more tense, but Alum was as calm as ever. (Seriously…? Does this guy even have a reaction to danger at all?) Noel pondered as he tried to keep his calm. (But then again… he’d always been like this…)

 Noel was unable to take it anymore and was about to cut in between them to soften the blow, yet…

 “Ah-haha!” the man started to burst out in laughter while Alum just softly chuckled along.

(Huh…?) Noel was dumbfounded and looked at the two.

 “Well, well, well, would you look at that? You ain’t half bad at acting, kid!” the man excitedly exclaimed as he got up and walked toward them.

 “Uncle Rig… I wasn’t acting…” Alum flatly said.

 ““.........””

 “Oh! C’mon! Don’t be like that,” the man said as he slapped Alum on the back.

 (…What is even going on…? Uncle Rig? How come they’re… close? Alum? Out of all people?) Noel was at a loss for words. (I did tell him to go and get along with people… but the chief out of everyone…? How?)

 So… Noel decided to ask, albeit he was a little reluctant… “Alum… and Sir…? What’s going on? Do you two know one another?”

 “We do, and we’re pals, right?

 Alum seemed a little fed up but nodded, “Something like that” he replied.

 “Al, you and I go way back, right!?”

 “—We’ve just met.

 (…I’m not keeping up with all this… ugh… I suddenly got a headache…) Noel thought as he watched the two interact. “...how did you two even get to know one another?”

 “Hm?” Rigeld pondered as he stopped messing with Alum. “That’s a good question, Noel,” he said with a grin. “You know that he arrived here first, right? On the very same day, he was in a bloody mess! Ah-haha-haa! He even dragged me into it!”

 “...you didn’t seem busy—rather, you were slacking off from work,” Alum said with a heavy sigh.

 “Well, you caught onto me there, didn’t you?” Rigeld looked at Noel and continued, “And so, he advised me on how to slack off without anyone noticing!” while laughing.

 “...something along those lines,” Alum replied with a chuckle.

 (Just… what?) Noel was just in utter disbelief and had nothing to comment on. But… he softly smiled, thinking that his friendless friend made some connection with others. “I see… is the reason for the acceptance of the request related to you two knowing one another too?”

 Rigeld thought about it and… “This is this, and that is that. Much like you lots, Al has plenty of potential, and it would be a waste to just let him go. He’s… a little unique and possesses more magical powers than any of you. In due time, it should grow exponentially. As the saying goes, “Keep feeding the dragon until it’s tamed!” or something along those lines.”

 “Hey” Alum protested. But both Noel and Rigeld ignored his remark.

 “I see~,” Noel nodded in understanding and satisfaction. (Even in this department, huh?)

 “Well, there’s another reason; it’s more experimental, but we want to compare growth between him and the rest of you. In an institution such as this, freedom is limited, which… is a good and a bad thing. So… we want to see how differently he develops and if it’s a success, maybe… ah, forget it. It wasn’t important.” Rigeld said as he started to laugh again.

 (It sort of makes sense, but it doesn’t at the same time. He’s hiding something, and if they really wanted to test that, they’d put us into groups. Well… I’m not going to think too deeply about it…)

 And as he was thinking about that, he glanced at Alum. It wasn’t like he was looking for answers, but he wondered if Alum knew something about it….

 But in response, Alum bluntly asked, “Uncle Rig, you’re not telling the whole story, are you? Just admit that you thought it would be convenient to call me here to do your paperwork….”

 Hearing this, Noel had even more questions… (Is that the secret reason…?) and as if they’d forgotten that Noel was there, they began to argue.

 “Brat…! How’s that an issue of mine? It’s not my fault you showed competence in this field when I just tried to give you a disciplinary lesson! So it’s difficult to not abu—I mean to take advantage of that, y’know?”

 Alum couldn’t believe what he heard, “What! Old man… how is that my problem?” he retorted.

 (…I’m just going to excuse myself.) Noel thought as he sneakily excused himself.

 Alum tried to follow him but was grabbed by the shoulder.

 “Hey… Al, where are you going? Do you see all of this? Help this old and frail uncle, will you?

 Alum frowned as he glared at Rigeld, asking, “Frail?” in a taunting tone. “You look like you can snap the neck of a dragon!” he exclaimed in protest.

 Noel was outside of the office and could hear the two argue, yet… it brought a smile to his face. He heaved a sigh, thinking, (he is changing a little… and it’s a positive one…)

 In a good spirit, Noel chuckled to himself and headed toward the dorm while stretching, relieving some of the tension that the two had caused him.

 “...Geez….

85