| ARC II | Chapter 22: The Lonesome Wolf
448 3 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 After waking up and feeling sore in his arm, he found his beloved Amethely close to him. Soft and gentle breaths as her chest moved up and down. She seemed to be at peace, and her innocent-looking face captivated him as he stared.

 He felt like he couldn’t help it and poked her cheeks as she made a cute, squeaky sound.

 (Maybe I shouldn’t be in such a rush to get stronger…) he thought.

 After all…

 He almost died and did intend to break his promise to her since he couldn’t see a way out.

 But in the last moment, before his droplets were released, Dalen had dragged him into the shadow and warped him to safety.

 Alum never told anyone his plan, but Dalen kept an eye on everyone. Hence, he noticed something strange when Alum decided to charge in like that.

 By trying to sacrifice himself along with the Armor, and only now, after the fact, did he realise he didn’t value his life….

 “...Nothing’s changed,” he muttered to himself.

 Why did he even think of sacrificing himself? He promised Amethely that he’d come back healthy and in time for their anniversary. So why? Was it because of his skill that he sought the most efficient outcome?

 No…

—He’d always been like this and didn’t treasure his life properly.

 (......)

 Although Amethely earlier expressed how much he meant to her before he departed, it was as if it didn’t register.

 But…

 Looking at her now, he understood a little better.

 His heart ached, his chest felt heavy, and his mind was in a daze. He never wanted to see her in tears again.

 Yet…he was the cause both times.

 How did he actually feel? He didn’t know. All he knew was that he loved her, but why? Was there a reason?

 No…

 He didn’t need a reason and knew he was drawn to her just by looking at her.

 (I want to learn from you…) Alum thought.

 Amethely worked hard despite being so strong, kept studying despite being one of the best in her field, and was kind and modest.

 She was a Saint who saved many lives and was treasured by the people. She would help those around her, even if the tasks were easy and mundane.

 At times, she would sneak out of the base with him to go and play with orphans…. She also made secret donations to institutions that care for the weak and elderly and innovated instruction magic that went into complex machines that would further improve society's technology.

 (...what about me? I just cause her trouble… why am I so useless…?)

 His breathing got even heavier, and his heart beat faster. His body temperature rose as he could feel tears running down his eyes.

 (I couldn’t even properly keep our promise!)

 This was the first time Alum was angry with himself and felt so useless and helpless. He had never felt like this before, even through the trauma he received as he watched his parents in a pool of blood. At that time, his anger and resentment targeted the killer, never once on himself.

 He had never felt so useless and pathetic as he did now. He never complained or felt anything from his other failures.

 Not even once.

 “Alum…”

 And as he was in deep inner turmoil, Amethely called his name. Snapping out of it and with wide eyes, he was greeted by Amethely’s gentle gaze.

 She placed her palm on his cheek, brushed away his tears while snuggling closer, and gently hugged him.

 “Sorry…” Alum apologised as his tears couldn’t stop.

 “Don’t apologise…” Amethely gently said.

 “But I’m—”

 “I… I was so scared…both you, Mama, and Papa… I thought I’d lose you all,” Amethely said weakly.

 “......”

 “I can’t help these feelings. I feel so anxious when you’re away from me.”

 Her voice had gotten shaky as she quivered.

 “Ame. I…”

 She looked up at him with tears.

 “I’m jealous and a worrywart, stubborn and a coward!” Amethely cried.

 “Ame…?”

 “I’m worried when you leave. I get jealous when other girls look at you… and I’m afraid that you will disappear!”

 “Sor—”

 “I want you to look at me, only me! I want to go on dates. I want you to hug me and pat my head gently… I want you to kiss me passionately! I want you to spoil me! I want all of it, and I’m greedy! Can…you still call me a saint?”

 Alum looked at her and couldn't utter a word.

 “I’m possessive, clingy, and demand affection… Al…why…why am I like this? I hate it! And I don’t want you to hate me! But despite my flaws…”

 In that moment, Alum realised something.

 (Ahh, I see….I get it now… I’ve always hated myself.)

 He finally understood and began to laugh as his tears resurfaced drily.

 “Ah…ahahaha…”

 “Al…?”

 “I… I finally understand…. Ame. I hate myself,” he calmly said as tears streamed down.

 Amethely’s eyes shot wide open as she looked into his cold, lifeless eyes in disbelief.

 “I’m useless…unlike you, not a good person. I know I have my flaws, and so do you, but are mine even redeemable?” he mockingly remarked.

 Amethely shook her head and wiped off his tears as she waited for him to speak.

 “...During my childhood, I never received acknowledgement from my parents. I wasn’t even allowed to call them Father or Mother.”

 Looking back on it and as he grew older, it was clear to him that his parents didn’t love him, nor did they love each other.

 “My tutors were forced to punish me for making mistakes or being unable to understand—I was electrocuted more times than I can remember.”

 “!?!??”

 “The more I cried, the harsher the punishment; by then, I had learned how to seal my emotions. After all… It got worse if I cried.”

 Alum kept going as Amethely’s heart ached. She felt her heart drop and her lungs stabbed.

 “I’ve been drowned more than I can count, electrocuted, hit, starved, and kept in a solitary cell for days,” Alum drily laughed while he scoffed at himself.

 “I was utterly useless as well as helpless. Yet… I sought their affection.”

 “T-Then! That is not your fault!” Amethely cried.

 “…That’s not true. I was useless. That’s why they did it—and I’m no better than them.”

 “...no better?”

 “My parents got brutally murdered before my eyes,” Alum chuckled.

 “......”

 “As I tracked the perpetrator down—caught him even. But while doing so, I bribed and tortured—some even died. I was never directly the cause of it, but the guilt still fell on me.”

 Listening to this, Amethely could feel her heart drop as she lost her sense of touch.

 “.....”

 “Hysterical… right?”

 “Al…”

 “I-I...”

 “Al!”

 Amethely couldn’t bear it anymore and covered his lips. And with her soft lips on his, he snapped out of it. She peered into his eyes, filled with not only glistering tears but also with genuine anger.

 “But you’re not like that anymore, are you!? In my eyes, you’re kind and considerate! When we snuck out to play with the orphans, you’d always find the kids that were alone.”

 “That’s…”

 “You’re out in the city pretty often, and I hear nothing but good things of you! You’d help the stall owners carry heavy boxes even though you’re a customer; you’d listen to people's concerns when they were down; you’d play with the stray animals and find them a home and give them shelter!”

 “.....”

 “I… I love that about you!”

 “But, I…”

 “You treat me like an ordinary girl despite my position! You try so hard to impress me, and I find it super adorable, and the faint smile you show when you watch people succeed… I-I! You don’t have to be so harsh on yourself! You’re not useless, and you’re not like your parents nor someone cruel you portray yourself to be!”

 Amethely stared deeply into his eyes and then kissed him. Alum gradually calmed down; he relaxed slowly and sunk into her gentle embrace.

 “Sorry to worry you…” he said as his face turned red.

 “If you can’t love yourself, I will love you until you do. Besides, even if you are a bad person, I still love you. But if you are a bad person, as a saint a-and your l-lover, shouldn’t I be the one to guide you to a brighter path—especially when you’ve been lost in the dark for so long?”

 “You say some embarrassing things…” Alum teased.

 Amethely, who heard him loud and clear, pouted and hit him repeatedly on the chest.

 “D-Dummy! You aren’t supposed to say that!”

 Feeling comfortable, he patted her head.

 “I’ll shower you with affection then,” he said as he gave her a genuine smile from the bottom of his heart. “All of it.”

 “I’m demanding…” Amethely said as she pouted.

 “I know.”

 “I’m clingy.”

 “I know.”

 “And get easily jealous!”

 “You…do?”

 “That’s right! Whenever you were with Princess Luna or any other girl, my chest gets really heavy, and I can't stop thinking about it!”

 “Sorry…” Alum replied.

  He was unaware and didn’t know that she was jealous and felt that way.

Amethely shook her head.

 “It’s not your fault; I know you’d never do anything, and you’re just friends… that’s why! Double that time with me!”

 (...Both elegant and childish… what a contrast,) Alum thought.

 “If that makes you happy, I’d gladly do it,” he said gently.

 After having said all that, Amethely would hug his head and bury his face in her chest while happily squeaking around.

 (...I still don’t completely understand, but… she’s willing to be with me despite all my flaws… I really do love her, don’t I? That’s why… I have to try harder.)

“Al…” Amethely tugged him lightly. “Al! Even if you’re currently unable to love yourself, the love you give me…I-I’ll…return it twice with m-mine,” she declared as her face turned all crimson.

 As if his heart was jumping out of his chest, Alum’s eyes darted elsewhere. But it didn’t take him long to calm down. As he did, he gently kissed Amethely on the forehead.

 “Thanks, Ame.”

12