| IF Luna | Chapter 2: Gullible…? Perhaps
364 6 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 On the busy Ilifelen streets, Alum stood still as he pondered over Luna’s question. People walking past them glanced at Alum from time to time. Not only was he good-looking, but he also had unusual hair for the continent. Not only that, he did have captivating eyes.

 Luna was in disguise. Hence, she didn’t stick out as much as Alum. While she also had jet-black hair, it was well contrasted and balanced out with her silky silver hair. But now that she was in disguise, she had soft, light blond hair.

 “Have you decided yet?” Luna asked.

 She had been waiting for a little while now, and if she was going to be his guide, then she needed to know what he wanted to do. But then again, all he did before this was walk around and eat. 

 Alum looked around some more and asked, “Well. Since we’re already here, is there any good food I’ve missed?”

 (…Was that the only thing he thought about during that time?

 “Then, how about there?” Luna said and pointed at a stall. “They sell meat buns over there?”

 Alum looked over and replied, “Sure.”

 With that said, the two of them started to walk toward the stall. Alum paused for a moment and looked back.

 “You’re not coming?” he wondered while slightly tilting his head.

 “I…am?” Luna responded with the same confused gesture. 

 “Then why are you just standing there?”

 “…..”

  “You’re going to be my guide, right? Then you either walk ahead of me or walk by my side.” 

 (That was some questionable wording…)  Luna thought.

 She walked up to him as he waited. Standing side by side, she realised that she was barely at the height of his throat.

 “…..”

 “…..”

 (What a strange guy. He’s a little rough despite knowing I’m an Imperial Princess. Usually, people would be reserved or try to please me. But… I don’t dislike it—being treated normally, that is.)

 Noticing Luna’s repeated glances, Alum asked, “…Is there something on my face?”

 “No,” Luna instantly replied. 

 “How come you keep glancing at me then?” Alum insisted.

 Luna was a little surprised by his remark and wondered about it herself.

 “Are all people from your world like…this?”  

 “Like what?” Alum replied, pretending not to know what she referred to.

 “No, never mind,” Luna replied.

 They would soon arrive at the stall. Although the conversation was a little short, Luna felt like she got to know the individual calling himself Alum.

 (He’s a little blunt, not very polite—at least not now… And he’s…not too bad to be around.)

 Luna felt some odd sense of comfort—despite technically being on a mission. 

 “…What would you like to do afterwards?”

 Alum contemplated for a moment before asking, “Then... How do people have fun?”

 (Not how to have fun, but how do people have fun...?)

 When Luna thought about it some more, she realised that she herself didn’t honestly know as well. 

 (Wait… How do people have fun? Fun…fun… As in entertaining and enjoying oneself? What sort of fun does he refer to?)

 “Can you clarify?” Luna somewhat awkwardly asked.

 When she asked that, Alum looked a little surprised.

 “…You don’t know?”

 (…how come you look all smug? Wasn’t it you who asked?)

 “…..”

 Luna didn’t utter a word, but she glared at him with a sharp gaze. Though, Alum brushed it off, not thinking anything of it.

 “How about we walk around town? Maybe we’ll find something fun?”

 “Such as?”

 “Feed birds we come across?”

 This time, instead of a cold glare, Luna looked confused.

 “Is that fun?” she asked.

 “…I’m not sure, but it isn’t boring, at least?”

 With a deadpan look, Luna’s eyes narrowed a little.

 “So you don’t know either…”

 “…..”

 Soon, their somewhat meaningless conversation came to a halt as they arrived at the stall. Luna looked at the stall owner and asked for the usual. Meanwhile, Alum peeked around the stall to see if there was something he’d like. After all, there was more than one flavour. And while Alum looked around, the stall owner began to speak to Luna in a low voice.

 ‘Missy, you brought mister boyfriend along this time?’ she asked while grinning.

 Flustered and a little surprised, Luna lowered her voice as well.

 ‘He’s not my lover,” Luna replied while sneaking a glance at Alum.

 ‘Hmm~, what a shame,” the store owner said.

 “…”

 ‘I mean… He’s handsome, is he not? And while we’re at it, he has a certain innocent look. As you know, or may not know, boys like that are popular these days,”

 ‘…That has nothing to do with me.’

 ‘You only say that for now. What if someone snagged him before you realise it? ‘

 Ignoring parts of the lady’s statement, Luna said, “…you make it sound so violent,” in response. 

 ‘Tsk, tsk, tsk, Missy, you don’t understand!” the lady said while sighing. ‘Because! Love is War!’ she enthusiastically declared.

 ‘…When are the regular meat buns done?’ Luna asked.  

 The lady puffed her cheeks. “Hmph!” She sighed a little before adding two extra meat buns inside the paper bag. ‘A little something extra for Missy’s special occasion~!’ the lady said with a wink.

 (…she’s not letting go of that…is she?)

 ‘Aunty…’

 ‘Don’t worry about it! You’re a regular, after all!’

 ‘Thank you…’ Luna replied.

 She glanced at Alum, who was reading the descriptions of the listed items that were for sale.

 (Do we really look like lovers?) she wondered.

 And while Luna was in deep thought, she snapped out of it when she realised that her eyes were locked with his. It wasn’t the first time, but…strangely enough, she felt ‘something’ but didn’t know how to describe it.

 “You done?” Alum asked.

 “I am,” Luna replied. 

 “I see.”

 The stall owner watched their interaction and wondered if they were trying to use as few words as possible to communicate.

 (My, my, how lovely~) she thought.

 Her train of thought didn’t last long, however.

 “Owner, can I have this?” Alum asked while hovering his finger over an item. “This, and this too,” he said. 

 All three were special limited items, and they all had something in common—they were all sweet.

 …

 …..

 …

 The two of them were now walking and looking around the stalls. So far, they haven’t found something ‘fun’, and they didn’t really have anything to talk about either. Neither of them was talkative, to begin with…

  Amid the silence, both glanced at the other, and their eyes met again. Alum looked into Luna’s moon-like eyes. He seemed to want to say something but kept quiet.

 “…Do you like sweet foods?” Luna suddenly asked.

 Alum was surprised and asked, “You want one?” thinking that she wanted a meat bun. 

 “…That’s…not it…” Luna replied while sighing and turning the other way.

 “You sure?” Alum queried.

 He took a meat bun out of the bag. A little curious, Luna glanced his way again. She froze for a moment as her heart skipped a beat. On her lips was a soft and warm sensation. 

 “!!?!?

 “Here, you only ordered the regular ones, right…? You haven’t even eaten anything from the looks of it. Are you perhaps saving them for later? If that’s the case, let’s eat them together. I want to try other things as well.”

 Hearing his remark, Luna found herself sulking a little. Nevertheless, she took a bite.

 (…It’s sweet.)

“How’s the taste?” Alum asked.

 His expression was a little softer than before, but he still looked indifferent despite having fed her.       

 “Tasty…” Luna replied.

 Lune then took the piece from Alum and began eating the rest by herself. Alum chuckled a little when he noticed that Luna’s ears had turned a little red.

 “…What,” Luna asked with a sulky look on her face.

 “Nothing in particular,” Alum replied.

  “Really?” Luna sceptically inquired.

 “Well, I just thought, ‘So she can make that expression.’ I suppose.”

 “Hmph, what about you? You chuckled like a fool yourself,” Luna replied.

 Luna finished the treat that Alum had given her but noticed that he took out another one, splitting it in half.

 “Here,” Alum said, handing her a half.

 “…..”

 Flabbergasted, Luna just stared at him in silence.

 Alum was confused as to why she fell silent. “Hm? You don’t want it? Or…do you want me to feed you again?”

Luna quietly took the half and said, “No, thank you, I can eat it just fine by myself.”

 Later, when the two of them walked around the districts, they came across many couples—many of whom walked around chatting, eating while sightseeing,

—Just like them.

 Suddenly, something crossed Luna’s mind.

 (Is this a date…?) She shook her head. (No, no, no. It can’t be. We’re not holding hands nor linking arms like those couples. So…it isn’t one…? Well…it isn’t one, I…think. Besides, how could we possibly be lovers when we aren’t even friends? But… I’ve heard that there was no need to be friends or lovers for that.)

 Luna glanced at Alum. He seemed no different from before—that is, happily eating sweet stuff.

 (Does he think any of it, or is he just dense?) Luna wondered as she watched Alum joyfully eat.

 “…Say, how come you decided to ask me to be your guide?” Luna suddenly asked.

 “Hm?”

“Well, you don’t seem like the sort of individual to do things on a whim,” Luna said.

 She took a bite of the sweets they bought earlier while waiting for his reply. He didn’t seem to think much about what she said, though…

 “Why…you ask?”

 “Yes, why? I think you’d be indifferent either way, whether I tail you or not.”

 “Mmm, I suppose?”

 “Then, why…?”

 But before he said anything, he peered deep into her eyes—he reached his hand toward her face, but she didn’t react. She didn’t know why herself, but he wiped off the crumbs on her cheek with his finger. It left her feeling astonished as she was frozen like a statue while her eyes were wide open. 

 (Could it be…?)

 “To be blunt,” Alum said while lacking facial expressions. “It was on a whim. You see, I have this friend who is a bit of a worrier.” Alum looked up and into the distant sky. “I don’t really have friends besides him. Before we split up, he told me to get to know more people, befriend them, and whatnot. Thus, I asked you to be my guide on a whim. Although it was impulsive, I figured that I wouldn’t be bored with you.”

 Luna was shaken, but

 “You…wouldn’t be bored…with me…?” Luna asked.

 Instead of her calm and somewhat cold voice, it was more high-pitched and a little shaky—it was filled with doubt, and her mind was almost blank.

 “I guess so?” Alum replied, not thinking too deeply about it.

 (…Does he have ulterior motives? If so, it isn’t the first case. But…he doesn’t seem to have thought any of it. Rather…he’s blunt and doesn’t refrain himself at all. What’s more, he doesn’t look at me with a lecherous gaze—in fact. I sense a lack of intent for anything from him.)

 “We seem similar, and I don’t feel uncomfortable with you around, but I don’t feel indifferent as I do otherwise, either.”

 (Can I trust his words? Am…I gullible? Perhaps right now… I lack sleep and am exhausted… But. Deep down. I want to trust those words.)

 “What I’m trying to say is—”

 “Alum.”

 “…Huh?

 “I-If we’re going to be friends… Isn’t it better to call one another by name? He-Hence, call me Luna, not ‘you’.” 

 Taken by surprise due to Luna’s honesty, Alum awkwardly scratched his cheek a little and hesitantly stared into Luna’s beautiful eyes.

 “Princess Luna…”

 Seeing how awkward and uncomfortable Alum seemed, Luna giggled a little. She felt relieved that she wasn’t the only one showing such an awkward side. But she also felt a little accomplished somehow—for whatever strange reason she couldn’t comprehend.

 “No need for formalities. Just call me…L-Luna.” Luna was a little flustered herself. He was going to be her friend and perhaps her first real friend. “I-It’s a common name. Hence, you needn’t be so cautious…”

 “Wouldn’t that be rude? You are a royalty,” Alum asked.

 Luna crossed her arms. “Hmph, you say the strangest things. Even if I were to be offended, your first offence wouldn’t be calling me by name without a title. Thus, I’ve not got a complaint regarding the matter.”

 “First… Then? You have a complaint?” Alum curiously asked.

 “Obviously, you force-feeding me! What if someone knew it was me? And what if I had a fiancé?”

 “…I’m sorry.”

 Alum just apologised, not making any excuses. He probably realised that he was swept away by the events of things as well—perhaps he was just impulsive, and that was it.

“…can I make it up to you?” Alum asked.

 Hearing that, Luna unconsciously smiled. “W-Well… I don’t mind it now… We’re now friends, right?”

 Caught off guard by her pretty smile, Alum broke into a soft smile himself. “Then…Luna, I’ll be in your care.”

 Luna giggled. “Likewise, Alum.”

 …

 …..

 …

 Alum and Luna went sightseeing some more, eventually arriving near the Centre Park. 

 “This park will get quite populated in the evening because of the luminescent flora. The animals are quite shy but are more active around that time… Do you want to take a look?”

 “There are animals?”

 “That’s right…”

 “Can you…pat them?”

 “…Pat? I…think so?”

 (Though… I’m not sure. They never let me get close…) Luna thought. She was a little sad because of that, but she could at least watch them…

 “You’re not sure?”

 “—I’ve tried in the past…” Luna awkwardly replied.

 “…..”

 “There’s…no need to pity me.”

 …

 …..

 …

 After having made a decision to visit the park, the two strolled around, and by the time Alum realised that his shoulder felt a little heavier than usual. He looked to the side, and what he saw was a small and fluffy squirrel-looking creature. With its innocent-looking eyes, it rubbed against Alum’s cheek.

 Luna, who had been glancing less and less towards Alum, looked around to see if she could find any animals—but to no avail.

 “Luna, is there anything one shouldn’t feed the animals?” Alum abruptly asked.

 Still on the lookout, Luna replied, “Well, they are magical creatures. They don’t really get upset stomach unless it’s actually intended to harm them.” 

 “I see,” Alum replied, not hesitating to feed the cute fluffball some macarons.

 He gently poked it on the cheek and rubbed it under the chin. It seemed happy and was enjoying the free rubs, even rubbing itself against him again. Seeing how it acted, Alum found it amusing and started to pat it more and scratch it behind the ears.

 “…You’re rather cute…” Alum gently said.

 Luna, who hadn’t paid much attention to him since they entered the park, got flustered and distanced herself a little.

 “C-Cute!? I-It won’t give you anything by say..ing…that.”

“You’re rather cute…” he says softly. 

 Seeing the cute fluffball, Luna was left speechless, not only by the fact that many other small creatures gathered around Alum, following him. But also the fact that it was enjoying being rubbed.

 “W… What!?” 

 “…Luna, What’s wrong?” Alum asked.

  Luna didn’t reply but kept staring at the fluffball on his shoulder.

 “…Want to pet it, too?” Alum teasingly asked. 

 Luna sulked a little while looking at him. “I…I want to…” she shyly said.

 Alum glanced at the fluffball on his shoulder, asking it if it could cheer up his sulky friend. It tilted its head, looking a little hesitant, but after a second or two, it jumped over to Luna and rubbed its cheeks against hers.

 “W-Whoooaah!” Luna happily expressed and said, “A-Alum, look! Look! It’s not running away from me~!” in a rather cute manner.

 “That’s nice,” Alum replied while lightly chuckling.

 “Ehehe~” Luna happily giggled. “It’s so cute!”

 “…You’re… Now that I think about it. I think you’re plenty cute, too, Luna.”

 Luna became flush red and turned her head in a panic. She calmed herself and looked at him.

 “You won’t get anything from me by calming me cute,” Luna said while puffing her cheeks. 

 “Oh… I…that sort of just slipped out, it…wasn’t my intent…”

 “.....” 

 His remark confused Luna even more. Feeling that her face was heating up even more, she broke eye contact and looked down at the ground.

 ‘—You fool’ Luna uttered under her breath,

 Despite sulking and feeling flustered by the fact that Alum casually says things like that. She couldn’t help but be happy. Even if they were words she’d heard many times. It felt special coming from him.

 (I don’t understand it at all…but… It isn’t a bad feeling.)

 

13