Chapter 6 ~ Help Given, Help Taken, Full of Love and Care
24 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I've been walking through the Six Ridges district, looking for a place I could either rent or buy, to no avail. Even though Ciel was helping me with this endeavour, I could see nothing but bleakness for the near future. There were just no open residences as the existing ones were already full of travellers and foreigners, visiting the city for its harvest festival.

The Eight Path district that was located next to the Six Ridges district, where the Carter Manor stood, was out of the question. It's full of people with high stature. Meanwhile, the Dairy Lodge and the Char-Harbour were located beyond the river. The Great Docks, however, were located beneath the Six Ridges district, although it was a little dirty and unsafe, there should be quite a lot of inns or that sort of establishment. Unfortunately, it too was already full because of the influx of workers and sailors that came from the many ships that moored, again, because of the harvest festival.

Well, if push comes to shove, I might as well go back to the Manor for a day or two, before trying again. I could also camp somewhere north of the Six Ridges district, outside the city, inside the forest.

Ciel's voice interrupted my thoughts, "Hey Layne, look who I brought here!" She proudly said.

I looked towards where her voice came from, and behold, the whole circus was here. Looking questioningly at Ciel, I asked, "What did you do?"

She looked at me as if I were an idiot, and replied, "Of course I asked the others to help you find lodgings, what else?"

"Hey there young man, the lady told us you haven't found any lodgings since yesterday. Why didn't you tell us? If you'd told us, you can either crash into mine or the others' place," He asked.

Feeling quite embarrassed, I said, "I don't really want to impose on anyone since we've just met."

Ciel, Dorian, Doe-Ritter, Robert, and the other circus members looked at each other, before laughing loudly.

"What? What is it? Am I wrong or something?" I asked, confusedly.

Replying to my question, Ciel teased, "You didn't want to impose on anyone, yet slept comfortably on my couch huh?"

Gulping down my saliva, and thinking my hardest to defend my honour while attacking back the teaser, I confidently said, "You're the one who can't sleep without fairytales!"

Both of our smiles twitched and we blushed uncomfortably.

Robert however, chuckled and cleared his throat. He then said comfortingly, "Layne, you're already one of us, when the old ringmaster decided you're one of us. So, you're free to tell us your troubles, what made you sad, and what made you happy. You're free to tell us about yourself."

The others nodded at that statement.

Warmth suffused my heart. I nodded, and said, "Well, as Ciel had already said, I haven't found any lodgings whatsoever, and I would appreciate it if you guys would help me find one."

Robert nodded at my request, saying, "Now that is settled, let us disperse and meet back here at noon."

=======

The members of Cirque du Ciel scoured the city like a plague of locusts, asking every inn, hotel, and anyone who had to do with the business of lodgings.

The dumbo combo Dorian and his little brother Doe-Ritter looked in places where others wouldn't have looked, on the rooftops, under the sewers, and talking to animals; Inviting giggles from observers.

Robert and the rest of them looked for lodgings in other districts, leaving no stone unturned.

While all of them were looking hard for places I could comfortably sleep in, I decided to swallow my pride and went towards the Eight Path district, to where the Carter Manor stood. I'm going to ask my siblings to help me find a place to reside in.

Knocking on the gate of the Manor, I waited to be allowed entry. Not long after, the gate opened, and the guards greeted me.

The gate guards looked worried, they immediately greeted and asked, "Where were you, Young Master? You haven't come back since last night."

Looks like the disowning wasn't publicly stated, or am I really disowned, I thought to myself. Still, I already decided not to be tied down with nobility problems and whatnot.

I assured the guards, before asking, "Where's elder sister Sarah?"

"Your elder sister is polishing her sword techniques in the training area," The guards replied.

After saying my thanks to the guards, I hastened my pace to where my elder sister is.

Arriving near the training area, the clashing sound of swords and shields resounded. A pair of shouts rang out, one old, one young; One male, one female. Until the sound of a shield breaking echoed. The older voice simply stated, "Again," while the younger voice acknowledged her shortcomings.

Peeking inside the training area, I could see my elder sister training with the sword instructor of our House, ser Robard Loen.

Noticing me peeking, ser Robard coughs, saying, "Well, that's it for today."

Elder sister Sarah was confused for a little bit because of the sudden recess in her training, before spotting me. She let out a little smile, before catching herself, and went back to her usually stern face.

She walked toward me after putting both her sword and shield into the weapon rack. She, as usual, started the conversation, "Do you need more spending money? As I thought, it was very insufficient."

Without giving her a chance to reach into her pockets, I quickly said, "Elder sister, I might need your help…."

Her already stern face turned ferocious, she said heavily, "Did you get bullied? Who bullied you? Bring them here so they may face my wrath!"

I truly can't deal with elder sister Sarah who's a little bit overprotective, afraid of being incapable of stopping her rampage, I immediately added, "Not that sis, I just can't find lodgings anywhere in town near where I'm working, and since you're the knight captain of the 2nd Division, the leader of the constables, I thought you might have a clue where I could stay in."

Hearing her younger brother's explanation, Sarah quickly mulled over everything she knew. She understood her brother's predicament came from the Harvest Festival that will commence in a fortnight. She did think of someone who could help her brother, but she quickly erased that choice from her mind. She won't let her brother near that mushroom-addled detective. Even though he's the best in the division, he's still a bad influence.

With a heavy heart, Sarah said to her brother, "I don't have a clue about any free lodgings right now, but I could ask the division for a little help."

Feeling happy that my elder sister was willing to help me, I replied, "It's okay elder sister, I'm already happy you're willing to help me."

After giving both elder sister Sarah and ser Robard my regards, I quickly went back to the decided meeting place.

0