Chapter 9 ~ Investigation
26 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I'm already back at Ciel's apartment, maybe I could live here instead? No, of course not, let's just forget that train of thought, it's unbecoming for a gentleman.

Still, her decor is quite simple for a girl's room. The living room was adorned with plain cream wallpaper, a leather couch, and a coffee table made out of wood in front it. The dining area consists of kitchen essentials and a small table fitted with four chairs, and since I haven't visited her bedroom yet, I've yet to know what it looked like.

Ciel, who sat next to me, frowned deeply. She tried reading the documents that were handed to us by the mushroom-addled detective to no avail. Although the detective already handled everything, from the inception to the conclusion, she refused to look through it. Looks like her grudge runs deep, something I should remember very well.

"So, how's that going?" I asked, treading carefully.

She stared at the stack of documents, looked at me, and went back to what she was doing, before giving up while sulking, saying, "Here, I'm tired and I'm going to sleep. Don't look for me," as she handed the documents over.

Giggling at her childishness, I quickly replied, consoling her, "Alright, alright, let me make sense of whatever it is the detective had found, don't go to sleep yet."

Although slightly unwilling, she quietly nodded, waiting for me to start talking.

"It was said here that the client lives together with his wife along with a few stewards, at the Innsmouth Residency located near the river in the Eight Path district."

"Are you positively sure they lived in Innsmouth? Not in the Six Ridges district?" Ciel asked, thinking about the report Robert had given her, and the detective's little clue.

"The documents said it, but if you're still curious, how about we go there now?" I invited.

Thinking about my invitation for a bit, she replied, "Sure, but let's finish up making sense of these documents first.

Continuing, I added, "It was stated that the client paid a sum of money to investigate his own wife, whom he thought cheated on him. It was also stated, however, that the wife's alibi held up and she was as pure as she could be."

"But how could her alibi still held up, if she was already found cheating."

"Wait a little bit, dear Ciel, I'm not finished yet. The detective found out that client's the wife had visited the Six Ridges district several times, every day to be exact, starting from last week. She met a pale young man with light blonde hair at the cafe we've just visited."

"So near the Great Clock? Then it's not exactly the Six Ridges then, more like the border between Six Ridges and Eight Path," she summarized.

"Right, it was also stated here, that their meeting lasts for only five to ten minutes, that's why the detective can't conclude his investigation, saying the wife was cheating."

Ciel was lost in thought, while I started pondering the information that was bequeathed to us by the detective. It was then that I found a little note that might turn this investigation over.

"Ciel, look at this note."

"The wife arrived at the cafe at exactly 16:00 o'clock every day, and right now it is?"

"15:45, we might arrive at the exact time if we run there. How about it?" I asked.

Without waiting for me, Ciel rushed out to the doorway. As she was putting on her shoes, she loudly said, "What are you waiting for? Let's go!"

=======

Running towards the Great Clock, I could feel my breath starting to palpitate, as my heart was beating faster and faster. I saw Ciel in front of me, without nary a sweat on her brows, and it was then I decided to train my body whenever I could.

Panting in front of our destination, the cafe, I held up my pocket watch to check the time, "We arrived five minutes earlier than them," I took a deep breath, calming my rushing heart, "The time is 15:55."

"Should we go in?" Ciel asked.

"I think we might as well sit around outside so that we won't miss them."

She replied, while also giving me snark comments, "Alright then. Still, you're not really in shape, huh?"

"I am in shape, however, you're just too dang fast. How in the hell are you that fast?" I countered.

"You're just slow, kiddo," her usual smug-face surfaced.

Looking at each other, we both laughed at the same time. This kind of banters continued until we spot someone familiar.

"Look, it's her," I pointed at the client's wife with my chin. Same as the photos we're given, she looked like a demure and homely, young wife, who according to the dossier loved her husband more than anything else.

We waited for a while, tense, until the client's wife went outside of the cafe with a pale young man, who for some reason carried an umbrella with him in this fine weather. This time, instead of going back home, the client's wife followed the young man, deeper into the Six Ridges district.

Following the target, we passed the circus, going northward into the outskirts of the town until the young man stopped at a juncture, where countless inns and hotels stood. Taking out what seemed to be a VVIP pass, both of them went inside the hotel.

"What should we do? There's nary any room left because of the Harvest Festival situation. They must've gotten either a room that's been booked, or chased someone out of their room," I asked.

Looking quite a bit worried, Ciel decides, "We go in, through the front door. Flash our badges and ask for information as fast as we can. I hope we're not too late."

"Not too late? To catch the madam cheating?"

She took a deep breath, steeling herself, before finally saying, "Look, since I knew you're a Carter, you'll be exposed to this side sooner or later. So, whatever happens, don't ever panic."

Seeing her looking serious, I nodded, thinking, that whatever happens, it won't exceed my memories as Laincelot.

The looming sunset on the horizon tells the coming of the dark night.

0