Chapter 13 ~ Joyful News to All
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A quiet cough could be heard inside the room, startling the happy, young couple. Happy that both of them returned safely, Ashurbanipal cleared his throat, saying, "Although I am very happy the both of you returned, can you not fill this room with the fluffy and sweet air the both of you gave off?"

The couple looked at him, before laughing with delight.

Ciel, his beloved granddaughter both back then, and now, said meekly, "Thank you, grandpa, for helping us."

He looked at her warmly, saying, "Because we're family."

It was him, Ashurbanipal, who saved Catariel and Laincelot from certain doom. He safeguarded Catariel's broken soul, and sent Laincelot's to his reincarnation.

"What happened there? He asked, for even he wouldn't know where time took them.

Opening his mouth, yet forgetting all that had transpired, he shook his head, saying, "We've forgotten."

Ciel nodded, chiming in, "Except for a sea of stars, and a long, long, time."

"You must've suffered," Ashurbanipal concluded, bittersweet feelings filled his heart.

The both of them shook their heads, saying, "We're together," happy at their companionship.

The old ringmaster cleared his throat again, this time saying, "Now then, because you're back, and already knew about the other side, here's the contract. I hope you'll still sign it, young man, although it's understandable if Laincelot the adventurer wants to go out there." He passed a piece of paper to Layne.

"I see that you're still misunderstanding something, grandfather-in-law," the young man said.

"Hey, hey, I've not yet acknowledged you as my grandson-in-law yet," he quipped.

The young man looked amused, continuing, "Be that as it may, I am once Loyd Carter. I am once Laincelot. I am now, Layne Karlott, the former-seventh son of the Carter Duchy, and also the former Verse-Making Saint," he winked.

"I see what you did there, kid," Ashurbanipal nodded.

"Still, I do have some request, grandfather!" Layne shouted, kneeling on the ground.

Startled by his sudden movement, Ashurbanipal didn't know what to say.

"Please allow me to take your granddaughter's hands in marriage!" he bowed.

Ciel, who was being excluded from the conversation, slapped the young man lightly on his head, saying, "Why don't you ask me first, you dumbo!"

Rubbing his head, he faced her and asked, "But you'll accept, won't you?"

A little smirk escaped from her lips as she replied, "Who knows? Maybe I had a sweetheart or two in this life?"

Horror and dread filled his heart, unable to keep his composure, he stutteringly asked, "Et Tu, Ciel? You, you had a sweetheart here? Is it Dorian? Or Doe-Ritter? Don't tell me it's Robert, you liked old men?"

She replied, smiling triumphantly, "Of course it's you, doofus!"

They both laughed.

Ashurbanipal cleared his throat for the last time, chiming in, "Stop with the comedic acts. Now, I had once accepted you, and you failed to protect her. If I accepted you this time, what will you do?" he asked the young man.

With a heart full of conviction, the young man said, "I shall protect her, always. Her priority trumps mine."

"Ciel, what say you?"

With a heart full of conviction, the young lady said, "I shall protect him, always. His priority trumps mine."

Sighing deeply, the old ringmaster finally said, "Who am I to disagree? Go! Go towards the future full of joy, and be happy!"

The couple smiled sweetly at each other.

=======

Outside of the ringmaster's wagon-house, the circus members paced around worriedly.

"What do you think happened to them?" Doe-Ritter asked his brother, though the old tailor, Robert, replied to him instead.

"The vampires," he simply stated.

Before the conversation could continue, the ringmaster's wagon-house opened, and the old ringmaster, Ashur, came out.

"Sir! How are the both of them faring?" Robert quickly asked.

"They are fine. They'll come out in a moment."

As the old ringmaster had said, the door to his wagon-house opened, and both of the injured came out, without nary a wound on their skin.

"You're truly something else, ringmaster. You managed to heal both of them at such speed, that even the greatest of the fae would be envious of," Robert praised.

"No such thing," the ringmaster interjected, before continuing, "It's because of their natural tenacity, and doggedness."

"O-oh, truly marvellous."

"Well, anyway, the both of them had something to announce to everyone here."

They looked at each other, nodding, before finally saying together, "We decided to get married."

The air froze, and everyone was confused as to what was happening.

The old ringmaster chided the both of them, "If you just bluntly tell them that, no one will understand what's going on! Why don't you use your expertise here, Layne?"

The young man looked as if he was enlightened. He went back inside the wagon-house, under everyone's scrutiny, then came back out bringing the old ringmaster's lyre.

He started his tale, a tale of a boy, and a girl, and their childhood adventures together, ending with the promise of meeting and marriage.

It's quite a cliche tale, but the emotion within his divine voice, the words he chose, and the musical accompaniment his lyre brought, moved his audience into a sobbing mess.

=======

"You made them cry, huh?" Ciel whispered into my ear.

I replied to her, whispering back, "Sorry, I'm still giddy and nervous from getting grandfather-in-law's permission to marry you."

"Silly, you still haven't gotten any permission from your family, right?" she smirked.

My heart skipped a beat. Now that I think about it, I haven't gotten any permission for marriage from my father. Even though he said I was disowned, it didn't feel like that at all.

"Uh, will you come with me to ask for permission?" I replied bashfully.

She nodded, adding, "But you will have to persuade them yourself, I have no say in nobility matters."

"Should we go now?" I asked, to which she approved.

I looked at my grandfather-in-law, gaining his attention, before mouthing to him my difficulties.

He nodded, and got everyone's attention to himself, saying,  "Everyone, looks like Layne got something to say to you all."

Feeling the circus' members gaze on me, I said, "As we've said before; since Ciel and I decided to get married, we have to ask for permission from my side of the family since we've already got one from hers. That's why I'll be inviting you guys to our wedding when it has been finalized."

"Of course brother! The Doe brothers will join you in your merry wedding! I just hope there's good food there," Dorian said loudly.

Robert nodded, and added, "You can count me in too. I've been the young lady's caretaker since she was a child. Although I think you're too rash and youthful in this lightning-speed decision to marry, I could see the both of you had thought this through."

All other members of the circus also sent their well wishes and congratulations to us. Excusing ourselves, we made our way westward, towards the Eight Path district, to where the Carter Manor Stood.

The gate of the manor had already been opened when we got there, as if waiting for our arrival. Though it's for another matter; the Harvest Festival that will happen in a week or two.

Still.

The spring wind brought warmth and joyful news to all.

0