Chapter 16 ~ Shadows Over Rivellon
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dishes comprised of steak, fish, and potatoes, were served to us. Although the chef used ingredients usually found at the table of commoners, his craftsmanship transformed such mundanity into a fine piece of art. The steak was grilled in such a way that it was both juicy and crispy at the same time. The fish was battered, before being grilled; with the lemony flavour of the sauce accentuating the freshness of the fish. Meanwhile, the potatoes were widely cut and deep-fried, before salt and black pepper were sprinkled on them.

"An entrée, comprised of humble ingredients, with the theme of commonality, created by our best of chefs; enjoy," the waiter introduced us to the dishes.

After a while, finished with the introduction of the dishes, the waiter left us to our own devices. Intrigued by such a delectable scent, I can't free my eyes from the vice of gluttony. Surely, my dear Ciel doesn't have enough mettle in her to not keep her eyes on the food any longer. And surely, my judgement of her wasn't wrong, since she was, even before it was laid down at the table, already observing it; akin to a predator observing her prey. Still, continuing our conversation from before was of great importance, as we're here to discuss and exchange information about the vampire attack yesterday, and not mindless chatter. Although I do have it in me, the desire to merry-make and party, to indulge myself in the vices of gluttony; as a desirable guest, I continued the conversation.

"Where were we?" I asked.

"Orthodoxy," Ciel replied, still observing the food.

"Enough about them, I believe we have another pressing matter. Why did the vampires send one of them, one with such a high stature, to Rivellon; Breton, where we're mostly dominated by dragons, fae, and elementals? I believe the vampires are active in the country up north, in Rumania?" Theo interjected.

"They are. Although they're also active in the Dairy Lodge district, it's akin to a post, or a branch of theirs," Sarah added.

The conversation continued, without both Ciel and I navigating as a part of it. As it was comprised of my elder sister reciting the information she has over the case, and of the political landscape of the other side, concerning the vampires, dragons, fae, elementals, and the whole package, while the detective, bright and without any muddledness from substances, created a timeline and prediction of future events. Getting a taste of the food, both Ciel and I released ourselves from our restraints, while the knight captain and the detective continued their conversations, occasionally asking us some questions.

"Layne, since both you and Ciel were the ones who met with the vampire that day, what're your thoughts on it?" Sarah asked.

"I can't really smell any danger from that vampire when we tailed it, however, inside of the hotel, it proved to be a very strong enemy. It managed to overpower my draconic strength, a feat that can't really be achieved by a measly lamprey," Ciel replied.

"It's curious," I added.

"Curious? How?" Theo asked.

"Curious as to why the Dairy Lodge was still silent, even when one of them has fallen."

"Good question! Captain, it seems we do need to visit the Dairy Lodge as fast as possible."

The captain nodded, her keen eyes gazed at us, thinking something that will prove to be tiresome. A clap of her hands, and the doors of the private room opened. The waiters, already waiting for her instructions, stood steadfastly akin to a seasoned veteran in a sea of flames and blood. Though that allegory might be a little hyperbole, it certainly delivered the imagery I had of the waiters in such a fine establishment.

"Please prepare the dessert for takeout."

"It shall be with you shortly, along with our finely crafted wooden box and dining utensils."

"Thank you. Now then, after our lunch, we'll depart to Cirque du Ciel, to meet ringmaster Ashur."

Our itinerary being decided, we quickly finished our little meal, and carried out the small artisanal wooden boxes full of patisserie with us. The coachman, already waiting for our eventual departure, opened the coach's door for us, before asking where our next destination will be. The destination already decided, we boarded up the coach, sink ourselves into the comfortable seats and waited for it to embark. Whipcrack and neighs rose from outside the coach, and behold, its stable movements.

Nary a murmur or discussion happened inside the coach, the presence of the detective being the source, we each took in the surroundings passing by on our own. Except for Ciel and I, who conversed with our eyes about the passersby and whatnot, any semblance of conversation can't be found. The cold and dreary atmosphere continued on until our arrival at Cirque du Ciel, where I could observe the member's persistence in honing their craft from within the coach. Dorian carrying boulders, and Doe-Ritter talking to his animal friends, truly made the atmosphere less dull. Surprise could be seen in the circus members' eyes as they saw the coach, emblazoned with the coat of arms of the Carter Duchy, even more so when they saw Ciel and I exiting from it.

=======

The shadows moved inside Benjamin Carter's office. It formed into the silhouette of a man, one that was seen on the day of Layne's disowning. The shadow bowed, signifying their deep respect to the man who called for them. They presented him with a document, filled with the happenings in the city; and another, which he took extreme care of. The black ink on its white pages signifies a harrowing problem deep within the Dairy Lodge district. The movements of the vampires coincided with a potential terrorist threat the shadows managed to gleam. The enemy this time, it seems, out of all the enemies he had ever faced, felt the most troublesome. They used a combination of mortal and supernatural problems at the most important of times, and it irks him so.

"Where's Sarah?" the Duke asked, massaging his headache.

"Young lady Sarah is with the young master, they're heading to Cirque du Ciel, right as we speak."

"Tell her; the vampires will be her number one priority. I will take the lead against the terrorists, who I presumed will be strengthened by the other side."

"Your wish is my command."

0