Chapter 26 ~ A Day Before the Festival
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They are not humans. One is a monster in human form, the other an angelic being of great stature. Apart from their appealing face, figure, and style, nothing indicates they're someone with capabilities surpassing humans. What they did, almost made me believe in the existence of magic, even though we're living in this great age of science and inventions.

Back when my family was still part of the merchants' and nobles' cliques in Trache up north, before coming here to Rivellon and joining this gang full of crap, they'd usually take to see the latest inventions. A device that could record sound, a ship that sailed through the air, and autonomous carriages that doesn't need horses to move. However, the things I've witnessed today surpassed all of those wondrous inventions.

They came through our front door and the man said something to us, which I completely forgot, but I did remember whatever he said lowered our guards, enough to even think of them as our long-lost friend. Once we were accustomed to them, the woman came charging at us with the force of a thousand men, flinging the boss around like a dirty old rag. Her relentless ferocity, one that we should've run away from, felt quite normal to us. We've been enchanted, entranced, bewitched. His words felt sacred and important, such that everything else seemed dull and grey.

I looked at the boss who was lying on his back, incessantly vomiting his stomach contents after being hurled around, without any wounds or bruises on his skin. He was fine, and not fine at the same time, truly a horrific experience.

It was then, that I decided to quit the gang and live righteously, as the man had said. I also believed that others also thought the same way as me after hearing that beautiful speech about dreams and never giving up. Yes, his words to us, are akin to the highest of gospels ever dreamt about by the countless preachers that always appeared near the alleyways.

"So, what will you guys do after we went our separate ways?" he asked.

"We shall follow what you've taught us! To live righteously, to help the weak, and to never give up!" the gangsters shouted fervently.

"If you can't believe in yourself, what do you do?"

"Believe in you who believes in me!"

"Good. I hope you keep your promises. We shall meet again when fate allows!"

He went on his way, bringing the human-shaped monster with him.

=======

"No matter how many times I've seen that, I would never be able to get used to such a thing," Ciel commented.

"What's wrong?" I said, none the wiser.

"That stuff, where you just manipulate and control people to your bidding. It's kinda chilling to those who observed it firsthand."

"You do know I managed to control them to such a degree, because they themselves wished to be controlled?"

"Yeah, I knew, that's why I rushed forward to take on that gang leader."

"Thanks for your help."

"You're welcome."

We made our way towards the Dairy Lodge district, to the Sewerhall, since we've managed to complete our task.

"Freshly grilled chicken skewers for sale!" a voice floated over from a street vendor, who conveniently placed his wares near the border of the Char-Harbour and the Dairy Lodge.

Tempted by the smell, I asked, "Should we get some?"

Not hearing any response, I looked beside me and found Ciel already conversing with the vendor, buying a bunch of chicken skewers enough for two people.

"Here you go!" she handed me my portion of the food.

"Wait here a bit, I'll go get the drinks!" I ran towards the nearest stall that sells drinks.

After getting two large glasses of beer, I quickly went back to the place where Ciel was waiting.

"Should we be drinking at this hour?" she asked smilingly.

"A drink to finish up the job, and congratulate ourselves! And it complements the chicken skewers too!"

We drank, converse, and be merry; of course, because it's only the afternoon, people will give us an eye, and they might also judge us. However, let me tell you this, as one who had lived a full life and was given a second chance. Do what your heart desires, be happy, and have fun! You will always be judged, no matter how good or right you are. Pay them no heed, and as long as righteousness stayed true in your heart, go do your thing.

=======

"So, how about that demonstration?" my elder sister asked.

"It was instigated by a Duke-level vampire called Allocer von Hohenheim, Maria's godfather," I stated.

"We managed to come to terms with him, and he will stop all of his operations. However, he will stay around for a little while longer," Ciel added.

"Alright. Even though we don't know whether he might prove to be a problem or not, at least the harvest festival won't be disturbed from this side. I don't know about father's side, however."

"Should we go back to the manor?" I suggested.

"Someone has to stay behind, just in case," Sarah said.

"How about Maria?" Ciel gave her opinions.

Carefully weighing the options, my elder sister finally decided that we'll be going back to the manor, after nearly two weeks of living here in the Dairy Lodge. Maria, now a part of our group, was tasked with watching over the vampires, so they won't disturb the festival.

We went back the way we came. Through the twin bridge, into the Eight Path district, finally arriving at the Carter Manor. After greeting the usual guards, we made our way to the Duke's office.

Seeing all of us come by his office near the start of the Harvest Festival, the Duke looked quite anxious.

"What happened? Why are all of you here? Did the vampires send someone troublesome?" the Duke asked.

In charge of reporting what happened, my elder sister talked about the vampires, including the ally we gained, Maria, and also the potential problem Allocer.

"I see, so all of that happened."

"Maria alone might not be able to stop the vampires fully, so we have to take care of whatever problem that might appear on the d-day. I suggest creating a large magic circle along the leylines, in order to separate this side from the Other Side."

"Already done when all of you were in the Dairy Lodge."

Sarah Carter nodded, relieved that things are going in a positive direction.

0