Chapter 38 ~ Promise
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Refreshed and ready to go, we went to the Six Ridges district to help the circus gain more viewers while also trying to gain new believers along the way, to help pave my path of divinity. Before we went there, however, I bought myself a guitar to help me accompany Ciel's flame dance perfectly.

Immediately walking there right after a harsh training this morning really rattled my bones. It was lucky the manor had a heated bath to relax my tired body, invigorating it. If it wasn't for the bath, I shuddered to think of the muscle pains that would haunt me.

"Even a deity would get muscle pains from daily training, the more you know…" Ciel started a banter.

"How did you know I got muscle pains?" I asked.

"From the way you walk?" she replied.

"Well, I'll get better over time. Not to mention, the bath really helps."

She nodded, already picturing dragging me out of bed to the training grounds tomorrow.

"I'll make sure you'll get better, don't you worry," she stated.

The glint in her eyes scared me so.

"Please do it at a reasonable rate," I pleaded.

"Don't worry, I will keep it reasonable. If you trained until you reached the point of not being tired anymore, you are already better in my books!" she smiled brightly.

Sighing, yet also understanding her point, I'll leave my future in her hands.

Arriving at the circus, we found the troupe was just about to start their usual routine. Saying our greetings and intention, they prepared a spot for us, becoming part of the crowd watching. Looks like they're entranced by my performance at our wedding announcement, so much so that they can't wait to hear it again.

I tuned my newly bought guitar, giving it life. A strum here and there, and voila, it's ready to go.

Ciel too had changed her clothes into her flame dancer outfit. It was the colour of the sunset, sensual yet not sexual. It accentuated her fit body, but instead of making her lewd, it made her captivating. Her honey-coloured skin and amber eyes expressed her mystery, one that I will greatly amplify with my music.

Tapping on the guitar rhythmically, and using the beat as the backbone of the music, I started.

Ciel's feet started tapping alongside the beats, she can't wait for me to start.

My fingers flew on the strings, the melody fast and passionate like fire spreading through the fields of dry grass.

Ciel too started to move. Her dance mesmerises all that watched. For what could you do when the force of nature itself showed you its magnificence? What could you do when the volcano in front of you erupted with such force? You watch. You can only watch. And that's exactly what the viewers did. They watched.

The twin fire knife she used, blazed with delight. They spun as she spun, thrown into the air only to be caught again. They left behind rings of fire, enchanting all to see. Even when the sun shone on them, their light waned not. They're incandescent. 

The melody started getting louder and louder, an ever-present, ever-consuming fire that swallows all. Before it stopped abruptly, as did Ciel's dance, leaving behind shock and awe.

We stood next to each other, bowing to the crowd before we went inside the circus tent, leaving behind a cacophony of applause outside.

Inside the tent, after Ciel had finished changing her outfit, we looked at each other and give ourselves a big thumbs up. Taking this time to go to the wagon-house, we asked our grandfather-in-law to officiate our wedding after the stalls had been cleared around 10 days later.

Because the purpose of this performance was to gain believers, I need to also take care of them. That's why we went outside afterwards.

With the intent of teaching them how to play such an instrument, I sat on the stool provided for me.

I preached.

I taught.

I instructed.

I help with guiding them towards the door of music, explaining and expounding the theories and techniques of such a craft.

The ones interested in music, and passionate about it, immediately become a believer of mine. While the others at the very least took notice of me.

Finished with teachings, Ciel and I excused ourselves from the giddy crowd who can't wait to bring their friends and families tomorrow. Because what's greater than free entertainment? Although I had been warned by a good friend of mine in the past; that when things are free, the product is usually you. So, do it in moderation, please.

"So, what's next?" I asked.

"Let's go look around for the wedding clothes, maybe?"

"About that… I'm thinking we could use our circus outfits for it."

"The ringmaster and the flame dancer? That looks like a name for a novella." she giggled.

"How about it?"

"That seems interesting. Let's go with that."

Thus, we played around at the stalls, bought lunch, and had fun talking with the people, before I finally went back to the manor alone, since Ciel had to take care of her home which has been left empty for two weeks.

Back at the manor, I conveyed our wedding attire ideas to Alfred, which he seemed to disapprove a little. However, after explaining that we will only invite the circus troupe to our wedding, he finally agreed.

Later, I went to the Duke's office, talking about the vampires Maria will bring to us. After hearing about their circumstances, it was officially decided that the Carters will hire them as maids and butlers to take care of the manor at night. After this whole debacle was over, they'll be offered jobs as part of the constables that will keep the streets safe at night. The Duke would also inform everyone that had a connection with the Other Side about the vampires, lest some misunderstanding happened.

Evening came, though the sun hadn't set just yet.

With nothing to do except waiting for the agreed time to come, I went to the historical district of the manor to help my elder sister with monitoring the knights' patrol. I heard some interesting banter through the control bead from the knights that fought against the Wendigo, such as how their child called them father, or how their sweethearts gift them handkerchiefs.

Some time passed until finally, dinner was ready.

At the dining table, they asked me where Ciel went. After telling them she had to take care of her home, they dropped the subject.

Done with dinner, I went to my room and created a lifelike clone using the law of water alongside the law of mists, before finally disappearing into the night.

It was around 09.30 PM when I finally arrived in front of the Sewerhall. Ciel was already there, leaning on the wall. Seeing me arriving, happiness could be seen on her face.

"Did you wait long?" I asked.

"I've just arrived," she smiled.

We opened the Sewerhall and went inside to wait.

While waiting for Maria to arrive, we talked about what we did today after separating. I talked about helping my elder sister monitor the city, while she talked about how she cleaned her room and rushed to the circus right after that, to talk about the vampires to her grandfather. She told me the vampires will be accepted in Cirque du Ciel as daily workers and cleaners, where they'll be given a place to sleep along with a salary.

Finally, right at 10.00 PM, Maria arrived outside the Sewerhall. She brought with her information about the terrorists and Orthodoxy. After ushering her in, we started the meeting after saying our greetings.

"So, what information did you get?" I asked while Ciel handed her a pack of sweets.

"Right, we found where both parties are located. The terrorists are outside of town, camping in the outskirts while the Orthodoxy stayed in the confines of their ferry."

"Great job! Now we can move to the next phase of the plan. Task the Council's men to look for both groups' routines."

Maria nodded.

"I have a favour to ask, however. Can you find a hiding place for the people on this list?" She handed the written list over.

Looking over the list of around 50 people, I sighed.

"Are they the only ones left from the countless believers of the Lifeblood?"

Maria nodded, looking a little lost thinking 50 people was a bit much.

"We've already prepared for them. They could go with us either to the manor or to the circus."

Her small pointy ears perked up as she reconfirmed the fact.

"Really? You can find them a place to hide?"

"As Layne had already said, we already did so little Maria," Ciel explained to her.

Excited to the point of not talking back when she was called 'little Maria', the vampire continually asked us about how the manor and circus operated, like a broken record.

After explaining to her what the vampires could get when they worked for either the manor or the circus, she finally settled down.

"When should they move?" she asked.

"Did the council's men know of them?"

"Yeah, but they don't really care."

"Then they can move as early as tonight. But I think it's better if you gather and break the news to them first."

Maria nodded, and run out of the Sewerhall to give the good news to her kin.

"Don't forget to meet here at 10.00 PM tomorrow!" I exclaimed.

"So, the meeting is over then?" Ciel asked.

"The meeting is over," I replied as we exited the Sewerhall.

"So, where will you be going now?" I asked.

"I'll return home, but I'll be there when you wake up!"

"For morning training?"

"For morning training."

0