Chapter 3: My Anger and Worry, the First Magic Lesson
40 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Momma let Daphne rest for a few days. She had to get situated in our house and enrolled in school before she started tutoring Curtis. Apparently, she will be teaching Curtis in the afternoon, which is great for me because I can listen to the lessons as well. I won’t be able to practice magic, but at least I can know more about it. Seeing pictures of it in Daddy’s books can only get me so far. I have been reading to make my vocabulary better, in hopes that I will be able to read Daddy’s books on my own sooner than later.

Daphne has been in her room mostly. I haven’t spoken to her much. She only really talks to Momma or Daddy, usually asking them questions about Curtis or the school she will be attending. With Curtis, she just tells him what to expect from her training. I tried talking to her once, but she said that she was busy. Although she was on her phone, so does that count as being busy?

Despite that, the day came when Daphne was ready to tutor Curtis. She called him into the backyard, and he quickly followed her demand. Curious, I followed as well. The backyard is not huge. Nothing compared to Nana’s and Papa’s house, though it is large enough to safely perform magic I would think. It is mostly just made up of a patch of grass and a garden in the corner, cared for by Momma. There is also cement at the entrance with an umbrella-covered table taking up some space. 

“Over here,” Daphne directed, standing in the middle of the grass. 

She is wearing similar clothes as when she first arrived. A simple black tank-top and jeans. She told Momma to make Curtis wear clothes that she would not mind getting dirty. So he was wearing basically the same thing as Daphne, except his shirt was white. Her dark hair is pulled back into a ponytail and she has taken off her glasses, somehow making her look fierce. 

Curtis ran to the spot where Daphne is, and she appeared pleased, until she saw me step outside. Her face instantly became fiercer than it was before. 

“What are you doing? I thought you can’t use magic.”

“Can’t I listen?”

“I don’t see the point if you can’t use magic.”

Trust me, I thought. I would not be listening to you if I had magic. Even her accent has become annoying. 

“Sissy can listen,” Curtis chimed. 

Daphne, clearly conflicted, looked at Curtis’s innocent-looking face. I would have to thank Curtis for that later. He may be luckier than me, but he is still my brother.

“Fine. I don’t mind if you listen as long as you don’t distract us.”

“Thanks,” I mumbled. Sitting at the table as to not get in their precious way. 

Daphne then started her lesson.

“Alright. You awakened as a water elemental magic-user. For your age, no wonder it got you in trouble. It is the toughest element to control. I will teach you the techniques that I know to better control your mana, so there are no more house blowing up accidents.”

Curtis chuckled. Which I found surprising. What she said was not even funny, and her tone with him was the same that Momma and Daddy used when Curtis was a little baby. Maybe Curtis does not notice that because he is still very young.  

“So, the first thing I am going to teach you are incantations. Can you say that word? In-can-ta-tions.”

Curtis repeated it, with a sense of reluctance. Good. I hope he becomes just as annoyed at her as I am.

“Good. Now, incantations are words or phrases that you can use to form spells. Skilled mages don’t have to, and can form spells wordlessly, but that takes years of practice. And incantations are just the first step to better controlling your mana. You following?”

Curtis nodded. 

Of course he knows about incantations. Momma uses an incantation whenever she lights the fireplace. He may not have known the word for it, though. Unlike me, who totally knew. Or at least heard the word before. I hope Daphne knows that.

“I heard you were trying to make a ball of water when the accident happened. Now, tell me, was there an odd feeling in your chest before you tried the spell?”

“Yeah.”

“Ok, now was that feeling gone after the spell?”

“Umm… yeah.”

“So you must have used up all your mana. Which makes the level of destruction you caused more understandable. That odd feeling in your chest comes when your manucible is full with mana. The manucible is a thing in your body that helps you create magic. Right now, do you have that odd feeling again?”

“Hmm-hm”

Stop nodding along. I know you see it too, Curtis. She moves her arms way too much when she speaks. At first, it was not that bad, but it has gotten progressively worse, and now it is just distracting. She looks like a helicopter that could lift off at any moment.

“Good. Your mom did tell me she had you not use any magic until I taught you how to use it properly. Mana will naturally flow into your manucible over time. There are ways to speed up the process, but I will teach you how to do that later. For now, I will teach you the incantation for the water ball.”

“So, the feeling here is mana?” Curtis asked, pointing at his chest. “And the more I feel, the more mana inside me?”

He is actually following what she is saying?! Even I am having trouble due to Daphne’s wild arms. Daphne looks just as surprised. Her arms had completely halted. She was probably not expecting him to not only follow what she was saying, but also ask a good question. 

Daphne quickly composed herself.

“Yeah. E-exactly.”

Her arms started moving again. 

“For incantations, I am going to teach you some of the ancient language. Technically, modern language works too, but it is not as effective for some reason…”

She went on for a long time after that basically saying that incantations have proved to make spells quicker to cast and have better results. Apparently, everyone could do magic without incantations, but most common people end up doing it because of its practicality. To the point that it is more of a habit. There are a set of rules—and a language—for incantations that have been passed down since ancient times. Lots of people have tried coming up with other methods for many generations, but none of them worked as well. So, the ancient incantation technique has become the default one. 

Some of the words she used when explaining this went over my head, but I still somewhat followed. I am guessing the same was for Curtis, even though he nodded understanding the entire time she spoke. 

Sometimes I forget he is younger than me. He talks decently, has magic, and understands the yammering of an eleven-year-old. I mean I have been told that I am smart for my age, but Curtis is like a genius already. It makes me jealous.

After a lengthy explanation, and a display of arm endurance, Daphne then got into the interesting stuff.

“All of the rules and words for incantations I will teach you on a later date. The first thing I want to do is have you create a water ball. Just to get the feel of magic. I’ll demonstrate first.”

Daphne put her arm out in front of her. Open palm facing up. Without warning, she started.

“Bla…”

Water droplets formed on her hand with a faint blue light emanating from the tips of her fingers.

“…Eskel…”

The water droplets started spinning in the air above her hand. Creating larger water drops as they melded into each other.

“…Fali”

With that last word, the multiple hovering water drops all crashed together. Forming a water ball about the size of an apple in less than a second.

Daphne smirked. Clearly pleased by Curtis’s and my expression of awe. After savoring our silent praise for a few moments, she continued the lesson.

“This is what I want you to do. However, just saying the incantation is not good enough. You have to know what the words mean, control the mana flow through you, and visualize what you want your magic to become.”

Daphne closed her fist. The water ball popped like a bubble in response. Disappearing just as quickly as it formed.

For the next few minutes, Daphne went on explaining what each word she used for the spell meant. ‘Bla’ was the first three letters for water in the ancient language. ‘Eskel’ is the full word for creation, and ‘Fali’ is the full word for ball. Apparently, the order in which you say the words is just as important as the words themselves. There are a set of directions and rules for incantations that make it all the more complicated. She did not get into the details, stating it would take too long for today.

“Now, I want you to try,” Daphne said finally.

Curtis has been eagerly waiting for the go ahead. His face brightened up with those words. 

“Put your hand out like me.”

Curtis obeyed. Copying Daphne’s display. An arm out in front. Open palm up. 

“I want you to focus on the palm of your hand. Wherever you focus is where your mana will flow too. We are going to start with only the first word of the incantation, so I need you to—You don’t have to stare so intently right now. I am still explaining things.” 

Curtis’s eyes were practically bulging. It looked like his eyes were grasshoppers trying to hop onto his hand. It was kind of adorable, I hate to admit. Especially because his face looked super concentrated. It was even cuter when his cheeks flushed red from being called out. He may be ahead magic-wise, but he is still basically a baby. 

“So, when you say the first word of the incantation,” Daphne continued,” I need you to only take a little bit of mana from your manucible. This will be tough. I am not expecting you to succeed on your first try. Your magic might go haywire again, but don’t worry, I will be here to make sure your magic can’t cause harm to you, others, or this backyard. So, when you say the first word, focus on your hand and channel only a little bit of mana.”

Curtis, with an oddly confident look, nodded.

“Ok, I do my best!” he said.

“Good, now say, ‘Bla’.”

“Bla.”

Both Daphne and Curtis’s hands glowed blue. Daphne’s more light and refined than Curtis’s. Water droplets perfectly formed on her hand without any of them rolling off. Curtis, meanwhile, became a human fountain. A stream of water was bubbling from his hand and creating a puddle at his feet.

“Curtis, stop! Stop!” Daphne demanded.

“I can’t!” Curtis said, waving his arm around frantically. Getting not only himself, but Daphne soaked as well. I silently laughed in the background.

“Try closing your hand!”

Curtis, listening to her, balled his hand into a fist. The flow of water stopped instantly.

“Phew,” Daphne said, relieved, “Glad that worked.”

After it was silent for a few moments, Curtis tried to say something.

“Sor—”

“Don’t apologize. It is fine. That was your first attempt. Honestly, I am impressed you only messed up on the output of your mana. Although, if it happens again, don’t point your water at me.”

Daphne looked at her wet clothes for a second. She did not seem too annoyed by it, if anything, she seemed thoughtful. Then, with a small smirk, she spread her arms and legs out. Closing her eyes, with no explanation. Curtis and I watched patiently to see if she was crazy or trying to attempt something.

“Swi,” she said.

A gust shot out from Daphne. Like rain, all the water that had been on her ended up being pushed to her surroundings. Some of it even sprayed me.

“Hey!” Curtis and I both yelled. 

She snickered as the wind sprouting from her died down.

“That wasn’t funny!” I said.

“Oh, don’t be sour! I know wind magic as well, and I just used it to dry myself off.”

“But it got me wet!”

“Oh well,” she shrugged. “I told you to get out of the way, didn't I?”

I was fuming now. What right does she have to tell me that?, I thought. I didn't know that she was going to use magic that could affect me. I thought I was a safe distance away. She should have warned me that she was going to do that, but she didn’t. She knew what she was doing.

“Well, I am going to tell my Momma on you!” 

I stormed off my seat to go back inside and look for Momma. She’ll set Daphne straight. 

“Can you dry me off, too?” I heard Curtis ask Daphne as I opened the back door.

“No.”

***

It is bedtime now. Curtis is asleep. Daphne is in her room. Momma is tucking me into bed. 

I… am unsatisfied with today.

After Daphne angered me, I pulled Momma outside in hopes that she would avenge me. That didn’t happen. Instead, after Momma asked Daphne and Curtis what happened, she just told us all to be nicer to each other. I think she did not trust either of our stories. I told her the truth, though. 

Daphne launched a dangerous wind spell at me, and purposefully got me wet.

That is what I told Momma, but Daphne lied saying it was an accident and that the spell she used was not dangerous. That is why Momma did not punish Daphne, but I will figure out a way to get Momma to see things my way. 

Not right now though. My eyes are getting heavy, and Momma is almost done tucking me into bed. I do still have one thing bugging me, however. 

“Momma, do you love Curtis more than me?”

I do not know what I was expecting to happen when I asked that question. I do not know what I would do if she responded yes. It has been on my mind since Curtis got his magic, and I decided instead of continually asking myself, I should actually get the answer. 

I do not know what I was expecting, but Momma seemed frozen. Her hands stopped adjusting my blanket. Although, she stayed firmly grasping the sheets. I thought maybe that she was having to think about it. That was, until I saw her eyes. The brilliant brown cookies now spoiled by tears. 

“Why would you think that?”

Her voice was like a sad song. It made me regret ever asking the question, but I was in too deep now. I had to explain. 

So I told her how after she settled the argument between Daphne and me, she asked if Curtis was learning new things. Of course he said yes, which made Momma visibly happy. The face she made was one that I do not think I have ever seen her give to me. And then, for dinner—which Daphne did not sit at the table for because she got a headache—Momma made Curtis’s favorite food, Mac n’ Cheese. Saying it was because of his hard work today. Which Momma has not done for me in a long time. I mean she still makes my favorite food, pasta, sometimes, but not specifically for me anymore. To top things off, she carried him up to the bed tonight, and not me.

Momma listened to me recount all my observations today. I had more to say, but words could no longer leave my mouth. I started to cry as well, not because I was sad, but I felt guilty at what I was saying. Especially since some of it was stupid. 

Now Momma was hugging me tightly with my head on her shoulder. Her tears slowed down, and she is using her hand to brush my hair. The sensation helped my own tears to slow down. We stayed still like that for what seemed like the entire night. However, once she pulled away, it was still dark out and Curtis was still asleep.

“Listen to me, Zaya,” Momma held my shoulders, her voice quavering. “I love you and Curtis the same amount. I don’t care if you never get magic. You are forever my little girl. Both your dad and I are thankful that we got two such amazing children. If you end up getting magic, awesome, if not, who cares. Just always remember that we will love you no matter what. You hear me?”

I nodded, unable to even utter.

I do not know how I could ever doubt that, I thought. Looking at Momma now, anyone would see how loving she is. Her auburn hair is draped over the opposite shoulder of the one I cried one. Her round face is red and her petite body is trembling because of what I said.

“Good. I want you to remember that. It breaks my heart to think that one of my children think they aren’t as loved. We will always do stuff for both you and Curtis.”

Momma hugged me again. My head went into her shoulder, however, the sleeve of her shirt had slid down her arm a bit so my face rested on her bare skin. I went to adjust it because I did not want my slobber to get on Momma, but then I noticed something. 

Feathers. 

Or what appears to be the tip of a brown feather is painted on the back of my Momma’s shoulder. There seems to be more of the painting on her back, but the shirt is covering the rest.

That’s odd, I thought. I have never seen that on Momma’s back before. Actually, have I ever seen Momma’s back before?

“Alright, I—“

“Momma, what is that?”

She started to pull away, probably to leave for bed, but now I am interested about the painting of the feather.

“What is what?”

I wiped away a tear before pointing at her shoulder.

“That.”

Momma looked at her shoulder. Her eyes expanded and mouth dropped when she realized what I was pointing at. She quickly adjusted her shirt, covering the  feather before answering.

“Oh, it’s uh… Just a tattoo. I kind of regret getting it.”

That does not make sense, I thought.

“Then, why did you get it if you were going to regret it? Also, can I see it? It looked cool, but all I saw was the tip of a feather. There is more, right?”

“Shhh.”

Momma quieted me down. I forgot Curtis was asleep.

After Momma checked on Curtis, she responded, “I got it when I was an adventurer. Everyone in my squad got it. We called ourselves the Winged Elites. I’ll show the rest of the tattoo to you when you are a bit older. It is time for bed now, so no more questions, ok?”

Momma kissed my forehead and stood up off my bed.

“Wait, does Daddy know? Has he seen it?”

Momma giggled. Her cheeks also became redder for some reason.

“I said no more questions.” 

With that, Momma finished tucking me in, told me she loved me again, turned off the light, and left the room. Leaving me to wonder if Daddy has ever seen Momma’s full tattoo. 

2