Ch.5.2: Untouchable
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kaara rushed through the city of tents. Large elemental wolves called Wulviir trotted about, some gnawing on bones while others wrestled with each other and a couple xiozians.

As kaara searched for Rorik, she heard the sound of bone hitting bone. Knowing what that sound meant, she headed toward the source and found Rorik amidst a fierce battle with Rux.

Rorik was less than a year older than Kaara, and rarely ever had anything other than a stone faced expression. Kaara might’ve been able to count on one hand the number of times she’d made him laugh. She could definitely count them on two.

But Kaara very much enjoyed cracking his stoic exterior whenever she could.

“Kick his ass Rorik!”

Rorik’s stone faced expression changed to one of shock before he remembered who he was sparring with.

For such a massive xio, Rux could move just as fast as any other hunter in the Tibur tribe. Which was to say his approach was frighteningly quick and deathly silent. Rorik barely ducked a swipe of the bone sparring sword Rux was using.

“Good, you keep your ears open even while surprised. Show me more of what you’ve learned this past month!” Rux shouted.

Rorik clicked his tongue, pressing his palm to the ground and liquidizing it. Rux- however- used his own magic to stomp it back to normal, “Remember who you’re fighting. How do you adapt?”

Another swing and another narrow miss. Rorik nearly fell on his back, but caught himself on his tail. He hooked Rux’s sword with his hunting ax.

“Really? Trying to disarm someone stronger than you?” Rux’s technique was so slick, Rorik’s ax was spinning through the air in no time.

Rorik picked up a rock with his tail and slung it. He waited until the last moment to redirect its trajectory with his magic.

Had he been fighting someone on his skill level, that feint would’ve worked, but he was fighting one of the best huntsmen in the Tibur tribe. Rux obliterated it to pieces with the back of his hand, “Really now, you’re disappointing me-”

Rux raised his sword just in time to deflect Rorik’s ax from above, “I see. Clever of you to use a stone ax for this.”

Rorik said nothing, his eyes focused intently on his goal. Today would be the day he finally landed a hit on Rux.

He flung himself through the air, sending a flurry of kicks, jabs, and tail swipes at Rux. Rux caught him by his ankle and lifted him, only to immediately let go as the flying ax came back. Rux might’ve been strong, but he only had so many limbs to defend himself.

Rorik sprung off his hands into the air, snatching his ax and bringing it down.

Rux caught him by his wrist, but Rorik planned for that, swinging his legs up and locking an armbar. All at once the shattered stone fragments Rux had scattered before all rushed him like a swarm of hornets.

Rux tried to move only to notice he’d sank up to his ankles into the dirt.

Kaara got excited. Rux only had one arm to deflect all of those small stones. Rorik would surely land a hit today!

But this was Rux he was fighting, and when it came to a battle of who could control earth magic better there was no question. Every shard paused in the air only inches from hitting him.

Rux had a hell of a poker face, but even Kaara could see the bead of sweat on his brow. Right now the two were locked in a stalemate. Rorik was trying to break his arm and send the stones, while Rux was trying to get free.

But Rux had only just begun while Rorik had exhausted all of his tricks.

The stone fragments were crushed into dust and scattered. Through sheer strength alone Rux overpowered Rorik’s armbar by flexing his bicep and breaking his grip.

Rorik adapted, abandoning the hold and attempting another flurry of strikes, but it was too late. He was thrown to the ground in a cloud of dust. By the time he rolled to his feet, Rux had already closed the distance and buried his knuckles into Rorik’s liver.

Rorik collapsed on his side and his own ax was hovered over his neck.

“You impressed me today, kid. I look forward to your attempt next month. Keep training.”

Rorik gave him a bitter look, but conceded defeat, “Next time.” he coughed.

Rux smiled, helping him up and slapping his back, “It very well might be. That frustration is valid, but-”

“Don’t let it consume me. I know, I know.” Rorik let out an exhausted sigh.

Kaara knew Rorik hated to be praised after failing at something. Especially when he’d come so close to succeeding.

“Don’t be too hard on yourself, you-”

“Roriiik!” Kaara shouted to save him from any more well-intentioned words from Rux. She slid over to him and summoned some water, “I’m here to fix your broken bones!”

Rorik raised an eyebrow, “I’m fine-”

Kaara gave him a quick chest-squeezing hug, causing him to gasp out in pain.

“Oh, sorry! I thought Uncle Rux didn’t break your ribs when he slammed you into the ground. My mistake. I only meant to hug my dear friend-”

“You made your point.”

Rux bust out laughing, “You’ve got a way of caring for people, Kaara!”

Kaara snickered, and wrapped healing water over Rorik’s torso like a vest.

“Take his mind off things today, Kaara. You know how he gets.”

Rorik raised a brow, “I’m right here.”

Kaara giggled, “Oh so you weren’t planning to run off and start training the moment I healed you?”

Rorik looked away from her, not saying a word.

Kaara had hit the nail on the head, “Alright, all done! So what do you wanna do now?”

Rorik scratched the back of his head, struggling to think of an answer that wasn’t ‘train to hit Rux next month’.

Kaara waved her hands about in a dramatic gesture, “You want to play tag.

Rorik blinked, “Are you asking me or telling me?”

“I’m hexing you!”

The slightest of smiles curled his lip, “You’re not a human, Kaara.”

“But you feel like playing tag now right?”

“Sure, let’s play tag.”

“It worked!”

The rest of the morning flew past for Kaara as the two of them played. Other children in the tribe joined in on the fun as the adults watched on. When the sun had finally started to set, the dinner drum sounded off.

When Kaara was dulled out her portion she looked around for her father, “Where’s dad?”

“They’re probably a little late. Eat up before it gets cold.” Tisku said.

“I’ll wait for them, they’ll be back.”

Kaara waited. Arik hadn’t come back yet either, and she wanted to eat with everyone. Her stomach rumbled. Even if she was hungry, they had to be hungry too.

“You’re not going to eat?” Kaara’s mother said over her shoulder.

“Papa’s not here yet!”

“Papa would want you to eat without him.”

“But he said he’d be here!”

“Did he? Oh yeah I suppose he did. Well it’s hard to plan when it comes to hunts-” Her mother said before noticing the look on Kaara’s face, “I’m sure he’s fine. He always is.”

Kaara was too stubborn. Even when Rorik, her mother, and her stomach tried to convince her to eat she refused. Not until Arik and her dad got back. She sat with the stew in her lap until it got cold. Until the sun was down and the camp was only illuminated by torchlight.

Kaara waited even when it got cold. Even when her mother left to prepare for the night hunt, and even when Rorik went to bed.

Kaara didn’t remember when she fell asleep, but she remembered when her mother wrapped her in a blanket and carried her to bed.

0