Chapter 14
178 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My tour of the school ended after an hour, Mr. Evans discussed much of the history of the elementary as well as sharing some names of previous students that have now accomplished great things. I personally did not know any of the people he named, but it was nice to know that there were people still around here that achieved something that others were proud of. He also spoke highly of the students but wished their school offered some sort of transportation for those unable to have parents drop them off. The school lacked a bus because of the area it was in, and this was something I remembered even when I attended here. What I wanted to do currently was improve the school's library and textbooks, both could use an upgrade.

The library was old and the books in it were worn and placed anywhere. It was very disorganized and lacked proper care. As for the textbooks, they were donated to the school by another elementary that got new updated textbooks. I planned on fixing that within the month.

Both of us discussed the after school programs that were available to the students. It was like an extended school session but without the hassle of learning something you did not care much about. It was when the students could pick up a craft, hobby or even hang around the gym playing sports. The downside was that it ended at 5:00 pm and a lot of their programs were cut because of the lack of staff and volunteers. I wanted to help in this department as well, but I was currently at a loss of how to go about it. I was thinking of seeing if I could hire members of the community to help out during this time. Even if they would only work for three hours a day, it was still a bit of extra income for those that needed it.

I would bring this matter up at a later date, most likely when we held a block party. It was a big event I asked if I could host here at the school to help bring the community here together. Everything would be free, and the kids could come here to have some fun. I was planning on giving away extra school supplies, and talking to some of the parents. There would even be games for the older kids to play, and I wanted everyone to be invited.

The date for this event was set to happen next month in May on the second Saturday of the month. This gave me enough time to ask the local police department for assistance to see if they could come out to support the community. It may also ease the tension the citizens had with the cops, while also having them keep everyone under control. I did not want things to get out of hand, which could happen.

After everything was dealt with there, I headed straight to the airport to fly to New York. I was meeting Dwayne and John tomorrow at Milestone's headquarters to go over the script. There was no need to take such an early flight, but I figured it was best I get there early and catch some Z's.

I still disliked the city, but after being there a few times, I was beginning to enjoy their food.

The next day arrived faster than I could blink, or at least it felt that way. I found myself yawning as I entered Milestone's building. Since I've been here a few times before the few people that worked here knew who I was. Milestone had around ten people working for them before, but now I spotted five extra faces. Dwayne seemed to be expanding and I wondered what he had in store for the future.

At the front desk the secretary informed me that I could head into meeting room two, which was down the hall and on the door to the left. I arrived there and found three large stacks of paper waiting on the desk. Dwayne must have seen me walking into the room because shortly after I entered he was a few steps behind me.

"Alex I'm glad you could make it. John should be here shortly, he went to grab some coffee, but feel free to take a look at the scripts." Dwayne said as he closed the door behind him.

"Why is there three of them?" I asked him.

He smiled. "That's because we've expanded on the story a lot more. It was interesting to hear John's thoughts and views, and with what you said previously about Icon lacking in weakness' and a real threat I've redone a lot. If you look underneath the stack to the far right, you'll see what I'm talking about."

I did just that and found a comic issue. It was new, one I've never seen before but still had the hero I knew on it. The cover was an image of Icon shouting out in anger as tears slid down his cheeks. His arms were holding a woman that seemed to be dead while the city behind him was on fire.

"Wow, this is pretty sick."

Dwayne laughed and smiled after hearing my compliment. "It's the new issue I'm working on. I'm thinking of naming it Icon Reborn, or something along those lines. It won't be released until next year, but we've already started working on the other series as well."

"Why next year? Is something special going on then?"

"Kind of, the big wigs at DC have agreed to reboot the universe. The name of it hasn't really been decided yet, but there are a few suggestions as to what it will be. Although we keep everything central in the Dakotaverse, I plan on doing a reboot of all the series here as well. Origins reimagined, villains more twisted, and a threat that could destroy all humankind." Dwayne explained to me.

"That sounds like a lot of work, what is going to happen with the previous issues? Do they have an end?"

"Kind of, but not really. The news was kind of abrupt and with there only being so much I could cover within a year's worth of time I decided to focus more on developing Icon's personality. It's been a bit stale but I'm hoping to change that in the new version."

As Dwayne finished his sentence, the door opened up and John Ridley walked in with a coffee in his hand. He was wearing an old-fashioned hat that I figured would never be in style. He saw me and paused then looked at Dwayne. "Did you tell him?" He asked.

"I just finished telling him about the comic changes, so no."

"Good, I wanted to be the one to say something."

"Say what?" I asked curiously.

"Ok, I know this is a big ask since I haven't proven myself yet, but hear me out here. I want to write the script for the entire universe, all the movies that will be produced." John suddenly said as he rushed over to the side of the table the scripts were closer to. He picked one up and showed it to me.

"After Dwayne told me about the reboot, I asked him why not redo these characters and make them more relatable and modern. Each of them have their own troubles, but they rarely ever encounter one another. They live in the same city, so it should make sense that their interactions be more common. That's when he told me his idea behind the new Dakatoverse and I kind of just ran with it to come up with this script. It's the origin of Icon, but with a focus on him 200 years ago. It leaves off on a cliffhanger that will transition into a solo film about Rocket. Their two paths collide with one another, and you see the conclusion of the cliffhanger in her film. These two are an interesting duo, but for the third film we switch to a film focused on static."

John started to pick up the various scripts to give me a rough idea as to what each one was about, and how each of their stories would slowly connect to one another. All this while a threat from Icon's past has located him and sent his minions to capture him, but after being unsuccessful due to the various heroes banding together, the main threat comes himself. I listened to him, thought about it and it seemed like a pretty solid idea. However, I still sat down and went through the script.

When he informed me that if he was the lead screenwriter for the entire universe, then it would have around twenty films in total. 

7