October 22, Friday– Distant (Chapter .18 part 1)
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first gathering of the English club with the added number of Sae did not go how he thought it would.

The language lab was on the first floor, not too far from the humanities classroom. Sae arrived there with Minke.

Pan Rita, the club’s supervising teacher, opened the door. She told the kids, “Go in and take a seat. I’ll be back in a bit.”

Pan Rita hurried off somewhere, her shoes click-clacking on the floor as she left. She looked a bit harried, like there was a lot on her mind. Soon after, others started to trickle in.

The lab had moderate space, divided into two columns with an aisle in the middle. Instead of desks, there were cubicles of twos. The school planned to install a Digital Language Lab, but that had not come around yet. Minke sat in the left column, and Sae plopped down next to her.

The students that came in found their seats in an easy manner. Sae hardly knew anyone, the ones he recognised were mostly first years. Minke helped out with comments when she felt like it. “That’s the senior girl I was talking about,” she said softly as a girl with bleached stripes in her hair entered.

A few kids greeted Minke personally. She said hello to a male student and turned to Sae, “That boy is in his second year. He stayed in Australia for the summer…”

Sae nodded, watching as the upperclassman took a seat near the windows.

Minke was right. Besides the two of them, at least ten other students turned up before three o’clock.

At four past three, Shum Deil plummeted through the doors. Sae was on his way to go outside and almost collided with Deil. The boy stopped at the last possible second, pulling on the brakes. His body slanted backwards to avoid crashing into Sae.

The room of students did not care. Not many paid attention to these happenings.

Sae reached out a hand to steady Shum Deil before he tilted all the way to the floor.

“What’s going on? Why aren’t you inside?” asked Pan Rita from the hallway. Sae said, nothing, and pulled Deil inside. He turned around and returned to his seat.

Pan Rita put her things down at the teacher’s desk on the right side of the door. “Shum Deil, how thoughtful of you to grace us!” A smile reached her eyes as she continued, “Is everyone here? Sit down, sit down.”

Sae turned to Minke. “Shum Deil is in the club?”

“Uh, yea,” she replied. “Why?”

Sae shook his head. He followed Shum Deil with his eyes to the other side of the room without turning his head.

“Welcome to every old and newly joined member.” Pan Rita pulled a handful of papers from her bag. “For today, I planned listening exercises and a mock test. Up until now, we mainly conversed, right?”

She walked to the back of the room, trailing her eyes over every member. “Last time, we talked about some reading materials. I compiled a list of books to read every other month and films to watch in between.” Pan Rita made her way back to the teacher’s desk and gave out a stack of papers to the head of each column to pass along. “This is the list as of now. Read it through. If you have suggestions, know that I’m always open to new ideas.”

Sae looked down at the list in his hands. He knew of some titles but never heard of others.

“Teach,” an older girl spoke up, “Is the length of a book limited?”

Sae looked up. Pan Rita walked to the whiteboard and wrote down a few numbers. “These are generally the page numbers of the books that made it into the list. Do you think your recommendation is within this boundary?” she asked and let out a breath. “I don’t want to force anyone. Not everyone likes to read that much. After all, this is an extracurricular activity.”

The girl put her hand down.

Pan Rita immediately offered, “You can still recommend it. If anyone wants to, they can read it. The next time we meet, those who read it can discuss it. This brings us to three very important things.”

The whiteboard was on the front wall of the class. Every other row, however, was facing the back wall, much like in a library. Four students could share a common space, sitting at its four corners. When needed, they turned to the student terminals to listen to or view materials. Otherwise, they formed little groups for discussions.
Students who sat facing the other side, including Sae, turned sideways in their seats to see the board. Some boys straddled their chairs backwards.

Pan Rita wrote three big numbers. “One. During the last week of every month, there will be a discussion of the studied material, be it a film or book.” She wrote discussions next to the first point on the board.

“Two; there are blank weeks on the list, right? Those are up to all of you. I know kids don’t like to do what they’re told. Hence, you can choose what to read or watch on the weeks left blank; one novel or two films per month. You can watch a new film at the cinema or choose a classic. The point is, you will all write about it afterwards. There won’t be group discussions for those times.”

The kids listened attentively. This bit of freedom piqued their interest.

“Three,” Pan Rita went on, “There will be a club group chat. I’m going to invite everyone who is a member. There, we can talk about anything related to the club. Recommendations of various topics are welcomed.”

All three points were filled out on the board: discussions, personal choice, and group chat. The class was quiet, trying to ascertain all the new information.

“One more thing before the start of today’s listening,” said Pan Rita. “From today onwards, there’ll be assignments for every week. At the start of each lesson, we’re going to check them first. Anyone who’s preparing for exams,” she paused for a second, “Test takers, please come to me before the end of each lesson. I’ll work out separate schedules with mock tests and topic revisions for you. Any questions?”

Since no one spoke up, Pan Rita handed out a set of mock tests and advised them about what to look out for before pressing play on the listening material. After the listening section, they checked for answers. It was better than a regular class because they could learn at a faster pace with fewer but more insightful explanations.

In a blink of an eye, the lesson came close to its end. Pan Rita distributed their weekly assignments. She told everyone to pair up and converse until the end of class. During that time, the few winter test takers could gather around her table for a discussion.

In Sae’s cubicle, instead of four, only three people sat. Minke paired up with the girl sitting at her back. Truth be told, she felt a bit awkward. Sae knew she felt like that, like it was her responsibility to accompany him as this was his first time in the club. But he waved it off before Minke could say anything.

The girl who became Minke’s partner was in her second year, one of those people in the club who already seemed close to Minke. Before the start of class, she greeted them both with a smile as she took her seat. And now, she asked to pair up first.

Next to Sae, the two girls pushed their chairs together and started speaking in soft voices. He did not actually mind; it wasn’t like he joined to follow anyone. But then, he wasn’t sure who else to approach. Everyone seemed to have already found their pair. Sae kept to himself and tidied his desk.

Pan Rita looked over the class. “Everyone has a pair, right?”

Sae kept quiet, but Pan Rita was more observant than that. Out of the blue, she invited Shum Deil to be Sae’s conversational partner.

“Shum Deil, what are you doing? Come over here.” Pan Rita approached Sae. “You two can be a pair, right?”

Sae, “...”

Pan Rita raised her voice to say, “I only want to hear the murmurings of English, alright people?”

The kids mostly said yes.

Shum Deil lumbered over, then sank into the chair opposite Sae. The two boys did not turn around; they sat back to back. After a few seconds, Sae turned to the side and supported his back on the wall. Shum Deil did the same.

“Wouldn’t guess you’re a club person,” said Sae. Although they should have talked in English, he didn’t switch over. “Quite unexpected.”

“Am not. I got threatened.”

Sae looked to the side. Although his face did not show much reaction, he was a bit surprised.
You say you’re not a club person, but you’re in the football team.

Out loud, he did not say a thing, although he wanted to know, Threatened by whom and with what?

He cleared his throat, and for the sake of completing their task, asked, “Should we try to say something in English?”

“No!” Shum Deil blurted without thinking about it.

Minke and the girl paused their conversation at the loud noise and glanced at them. Just now, Deil’s voice was a bit forceful. Sae retracted his gaze. Well, it certainly seemed like Shum Deil wasn’t here on his own accord, but because he did, in fact, get threatened.

What!?” There was light colour on Shum Deil’s ears. Maybe he was angry.

The girls looked at each other, then turned back to whisper amongst themselves. Minke eyed Sae with confusion, but Sae shook his head at her.


 

The rest of the class resumed its uneventfulness.

Deil wanted to say something, but his slight embarrassment fuelled anger stopped him.

“Is your problem with English or me?” asked Saering.

Deil inclined his head. “Why would I have a problem with you?”

“Then,” Saering nodded, “you have a problem with English.”

“Maybe I have a problem with chatting.”

Now Saering raised an eyebrow, unimpressed. “Do you have a problem with chatting?”

“Since when were you so fond of chatting?”

“Since whenever,” Saering said, “It’s not like we’re close for you to know me so well...”

“Oh.” Deil gave a breathless little laugh. Because Saering was a person whose voice rang out everywhere he went. Right.

Deil was out of his element with a Saering so talkative. Never did he have to deal with the boy saying so many things at once, and all of them directed at him. His pulse was still a bit quick, but he tried to move on from his discomfort.

It was true that they were not friends, but it wasn’t like they did not know of each other. Some things were kind of obvious, easy to pick out upon a certain amount of interaction. Deil drawled, “Sorry to assume wrongly.”

“It’s nothing.” Saering did not get stuck on such trivialities. He shrugged his shoulder, saying, “Don’t beat yourself up over it.”

Hearing that, Deil was a bit speechless. “I didn’t say that to... I wasn’t––” He took a breath, sorting out his speech. “I just said that to be polite.”

“I know,” replied Saering. He looked askew at Deil and smirked. “…and sarcastic.”

Only now did it draw on Deil that the other was tricking him. True to his sarcastic little brat self, he immediately fired back. “It’s not wise to measure others by using yourself. If I say it was to be polite, then it was said to be polite.”


 

Sae did not persist to talk exclusively in English. Some sentences were uttered in English, some not, but the ones that were – all of them came out of his mouth. Shum Deil understood them; he understood a lot. But the boy’s mental gymnastics were a bit too much for Sae. He would rather change the topic; this line of thought process could hurt his brain.

Honestly, who knew what they were trifling about?

No matter how composed and cold-headed he seemed from the outside, Sae was still a teenage boy. The temptation to not let the other get the last remark sparked his childishness. He failed to abide by his wish of moving on. “Same here,” he rebutted. “No one said it can’t be seemingly polite while it is very much sarcastic.”

Sae thought Shum Deil might be the top test taker with the highest score on the high school entrance exam, but in a verbal challenge, he could not win. Sae wasn’t in humanities for nothing.

His reply induced a laugh from Shum Deil. This laugh wasn’t as strained now. Most importantly, it wasn’t even a little bit mocking. “Fuck, you really won’t let me off, will you?”

Sae did not say anything, but the corners of his mouth lifted a bit.

Minke sneaked a glance at them again, but she only appeared to become more confused. What was happening? Sae was actually smiling. Question marks crowded Minke’s mind for a moment.

“How long do you have to come to the club?” asked Sae. He flicked the cap of his pen off and then pushed it back on. Flicked it again, on and off.

“Dunno, ask your head teacher,” said Deil, looking at Sae’s hand as if the movement was hypnotic. He forced his eyes away. “She dragged me here, so she decides when I can leave.”

“Won’t it affect your grades?”

“Pfft, like this could make a hitch in my academic career.” The way Deil said academic career sounded so boisterous, so cocky. Like he wasn’t sitting at school right now, forced to partake in club activity but rather on the way to invent a new wonder of the world.

“You sure know how to boast,” said Sae. “Why not boast in English?” He raised his eyebrows, a bit teasing.

Shum Deil gazed at him but did not say anything. He didn’t seem angry per se, but his facial expression was somewhat unnatural. He maintained his gaze with slightly squinted eyes. They looked at each other without breaking eye contact.

“Good job, everyone!” Pan Rita concluded their lesson.

Shum Deil and Sae looked away at the same time. The class was in the middle of packing up.

“Don’t forget your assignments. I’ll add everyone to the group chat, so if anybody has questions, you can contact me. Work hard until next Tuesday, and have a great weekend!”

The kids filed out with goodbyes on their mouths. Sae left with Minke as part of the last ones still in the classroom. Shum Deil left the fastest. He was the first one out of the door. Almost as if someone was chasing him.

0