November 10, Wednesday– A twisted kind of appreciation (Chapter .21 part 1)
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The students engaging in the fight the previous afternoon were called into the teachers’ office half an hour before classes started. That meant they had to arrive at school much earlier, almost forty minutes before everyone else did.

Sae dragged himself to school in a state of bone-deep weariness. He was reminded of those two weeks in junior high when he had to go to school early to solve daily assignments.

High school started half an hour before junior high did. That entailed waking up at five in the morning, an hour earlier compared to the time Sae had woken up a year ago. He felt too tired to eat, and was only half-awake even as he stepped over the school gates. Without time to spare to drop off his bag, he directly went to the teachers’ office.

As he got there, his eyes took in a person squatting on the ground, eating out of a takeout box in the early morning light. Shum Deil treated this stretch of the hallway as his breakfast stall, shoving food into his mouth even as he waited for punishment.

Sae’s eyes rounded. “Are you eating chicken for breakfast?”

“Lean meat is full of antioxidants,” replied Deil with a lift of his head. Faint bruising coloured the skin under his eyes. Sae wondered whether that had been there yesterday as well.

The strap of Deil’s bag crossed his chest, and the bag hung at his backside. He hooked his thumb into the strap and asked, “Have you eaten?”

“Not… yet.” As Sae said this, the school’s little tyrant arrived as well. That boy looked like he had not slept a wink last night. He didn’t say anything but nodded to Sae.

They all settled into a line before the office windows. However, only two backs could be seen from the inside as Shum Deil stayed down, continuing to eat his breakfast.

Since there weren’t any classrooms on this side of the building, no one passed by, except the members of the faculty. The two sides greeted each other, but no one paid extra attention to them. Not until someone called out loud enough to echo through the corridor, “Jung Egon!”

The little school tyrant’s head jerked up. There came his head teacher, carrying a wooden pointer in both hands. Sae recognised the man as one of the physics teachers.

There were two physics teachers in M High, the one that taught Sae was well over sixty and had a patch of hairless shiny skin on the top of his head. This physics teacher, however, was a man in his forties and the person that could get half the school frightened.

The man leisurely made his way over to the three of them. Even Shum Deil stood up, closing the lid on his breakfast box.

The teacher looked over the three students currently decorating the hallway. He stopped in front of Jung Egon. “You look bad. Did your conscience keep you up all night?”

“Teacher, you came,” said Jung Egon, rather formal. “I... ugh... couldn’t sleep.”

“I bet,” the teacher said, “Gaming all night again? Good going.”

Jung Egon objected, “I wasn’t!”

“When does the internet cafe close again? Was it five in the morning? I always forget…”

“It’s open all night,” Jung Egon supplied without a hitch.

At the side, Shum Deil started laughing under his breath. Sae looked at him, then turned his head back to the front. This little tyrant could not do his job right.

The teacher cleared his throat. “Little whelp, try not to get caught by your head teacher if you want to lie next time.”

“I didn’t…”

“I saw you going into the cafe on Second street last night.”

Jung Egon: “…”

“That’s more like it. Come on, let’s head in.” The physics teacher led the way into the office.

Inside, numerous members of the faculty were preparing for their lessons. The Director of Academic Management spotted the four of them, took her leather bound directory, and came forward.

“Where did you find the third one? We only saw two in front of the office,” she said.

The physics teacher furrowed his brows, not entirely getting what she meant, but let the comment pass unmarked. “Everyone’s here now. Let’s start.”

The director raised an arm in the direction of the principal’s office, “This way.”


After a light knock on the door, everyone went inside. It was Sae’s first time in the principal’s office, and it was not what he expected. The office was rather plain and minimalist. Besides the basic furnishing, nothing else could be seen. The only decoration was a calligraphy hanging on the wall behind the desk. Sae thought it would be a bit fancier, like the one at H Junior High.

Four adults were waiting for them.

The principal sat behind her desk, her hands resting against each other under her chin. She glanced at the students over her cat-eye-framed glasses. “Ah, great! Finally everyone’s here.”

A low table occupied the limited space between the door and the principal’s desk. There were armless sofas on both sides of the table that no one sat on. Pan Rita and Teacher Shem stood before a cabinet to the side.

Unlike Teacher Shem, a seasoned veteran, Pan Rita seemed rigid, like a wooden cluster of nerves. Her face was a little pale, and she wetted her lips a lot. As a head teacher, this was her first time dealing with a matter of this calibre. Yesterday evening when Pan Rita and Sae had spoken, despite her jumbled nerves after hearing about what had happened, she promised Sae to protect him. Even Sae had to admit that something had shifted in him upon hearing those words.

By Pan Rita’s side, Teacher Shem had a mug in his hands that let out a soft wisp of steam as he blew on it. He seemed rather nonchalant.

The maths teacher, however, turned to the students with a glint in his eye the moment they stepped in. First, he relayed everything he saw the previous afternoon, then gave them another scolding. The Director of Academic Management didn’t know which way to hold her head. It was impressive how much the maths teacher could work himself up even after a day had passed.

“And they wouldn’t say anything!” the man said for the third time. “What kind of behaviour is this?! Fighting on school grounds but not owning up to it!”

“There must’ve been a reason,” Teacher Shem inserted. He turned to the maths teacher, “Thank you for your hard work. I’m sure you still have to prepare for class. We’ll try to look into the rest of this issue.”

The maths teacher couldn’t spit or swallow, feeling indignant at hearing the other’s polite but veiled dismissal.

Fortunately, the principal interjected, “Very well then, we all know the initial happenings.” She addressed the maths teacher, “Thank you for providing this information. Let’s discuss the rest with the students involved and their head teachers.”

The maths teacher’s face was almost beet red, but he knew when to stop. “Yes, yes,” he said with some difficulty, “It’s nothing, really. I hope the issue gets resolved fast.”

The principal smiled at him and waited.

“…I’m going to go and prepare for class then,” the man said.

After he left, the Director of Academic Management took over. “First, I would like to hear anything you can add from a personal perspective. That way, you can explain yourselves. We heard that it was a three-way fight, but who exactly started it and why?”

Shum Deil stayed silent, looking out the window behind the principal’s desk.

The little school tyrant spoke up, “It was him!” Jung Egon turned towards Shum Deil. “He hit me first!”

“Which one of the two hit you?” asked the physics teacher. He seemed a bit baffled, hearing that Jung Egon got whooped in the ass by someone else. Not to mention those who did the whooping were first-years.

At the moment, Sae stood between the two other boys: Shum Deil to his right, and Jung Egon to his left. Jung Egon had to point over Sae to aim at Shum Deil.

He,” the boy repeated, “hit me. There are witnesses.”

“Who?” asked Pan Rita.

Jung Egon pointed at Sae, “Him.”

“Actually, I hit him too,” said Sae.

“I don’t care about that,” said Jung Egon, ready to argue.

The principal let out a breath. “Just to be clear, Jung Egon, you were hit by both of them?”

After a beat, the boy replied, “Yes.”

Not just one, but the two of them. The physics teacher touched his chin, deep in thought.

The Director of Academic Management commented, “This is the first time Jung Egon ever stated that a fight was one-sidedly against him, and he had been on the suffering side.”

“Mnm, I know,” the principal said, “Previously, we heard that the moment you three got caught, Jung Egon, you were trying to punch Shum Deil who had a bloodied nose. But now you say you didn’t hit him at all. So how did his nose start bleeding?”

“He did that to himself,” Jung Egon squeezed the words out from the space between his teeth. What he probably wanted to add was how bullshit this conversation seemed. No one would believe him!

“I’ll ask again,” the principal said, unaffected by the student’s rudeness, “There wasn’t anyone else using violence while you two respectively attacked Jung Egon, is that it? Hoh Saering, why did you hit him?”

“When I was at the stairs,” Sae started, “They both rolled down, taking me as well. They were engaged in a two-sided scuffle. I guess after the fall, Jung Egon thought I was the one fighting him. So he pushed me to the wall trying to continue the fight. I acted on reflex.”

“This little s––” Jung Egon cried, voice laced with anger. “Shum Deil hit me out of the blue! He pushed me off the stairs and––“

“Shum Deil,” Teacher Shem asked with utter calmness, “Did you really hit him?”

“Yes.” It was the first time Shum Deil admitted it, but it was also the first time anyone actually asked him that question. He said, “Yes, I hit him first.”

“Why?” asked his head teacher.

At this point, Shum Deil decided to go back to his silent protest. Sae glanced to his right. He really wanted to poke Shum Deil and make him spill some of the truth.

The Director of Academic Management said, “Regardless of who started it, since Jung Egon won’t admit he did anything wrong, both of you will face the same disciplinary punishment. Hoh Saering, you won’t get away scot-free either.”

That was in line with what Sae expected.

“Director,” Pan Rita called and looked at Sae with a little nod before she continued. “You can’t punish him for using self-defence. He essentially stumbled into the fight.”

“That doesn’t mean he didn’t participate at all,” the director countered.

“All right, everyone, please calm down.” The physics teacher dropped the hand from his chin. “Jung Egon, why did Shum Deil hit you?”

The upperclassman beside Sae fidgeted but didn’t say anything. Since Shum Deil admitted his complicity in the matter, he no longer repeated the same line of, I don’t know why he hit me; he attacked for no reason.

The adults in the room waited for a whole minute before giving up on the topic.

“And you! Shum Deil!” The director wasn’t done. She pointed at the boy who looked like he was ready to go into deep meditation. “Where’s your reflection essay? Every member of your class already gave it to Old Shem except…”

Huh? Old Shem?

“...you.” By the time everyone in the room looked at the director, she realised her error as well. “Ehm,” She cleared her throat. “At any rate, yours is the only one not submitted.”

“Why is he reflecting?” asked the principal with raised eyebrows. It was the first time she took any interest in this meeting.

“The paper plane incident,” the Director of Academic Management provided helpfully, “Headmistress wasn’t here, so the students wrote down their self-critical assignments.”

“Ah, right. Continue,” said the principal. She separated her hands and leaned back in her leather chair.

Teacher Shem put his mug down. “I’m sure Deil had written it already.” He turned to his student. “It’s probably back in the classroom, right?”

For a whole minute, Shum Deil blankly stared at his head teacher, not moving a muscle. He did not even blink.

Teacher Shem thought he’d seen a lot as a teacher. Alas, he had not seen everything. The experienced veteran couldn’t get a grasp of Shum Deil. Since everyone present knew well of the capabilities of this student, wasn’t this on the level of deliberate protest?

Teacher Shem said meaningfully, “From my understanding of things, it should be.”

At that, Deil became somewhat animated again. Like a rusted doll with a voice almost creaking in the process, he said, “Probably?”

A somewhat satisfactory answer. The head teacher nodded his head.

The principal gave a faint smile and waved her hand. “It’s not a problem, not a problem. Director, don’t make a deal out of it. He can sum up the essay in a few sentences. I’m already here, more than grateful to hear him out.”

Shum Deil: “...”

Teacher Shem: “...”


On Sae’s left side, Jung Egon snickered. Of course, Shum Deil also heard that barely present yet obnoxious sound. His hands fisted in reflex. Sae grabbed Shum Deil’s arm, pulling him back.

Shum Deil first glanced down, then lifted his head. Two boys wordlessly made eye contact. Shum Deil looked like he wanted to throw Sae off.

And people said Sae had a bad temper...

He let go of Shum Deil’s arm, raising one brow as if mocking, Do you want to be in an even bigger mess?

The teachers were occupied by the Director of Academic Management, Teacher Shem and the director politely argued. Teacher Shem said it would be better to discuss the fight first, then Deil could tell his apology in person to the principal after this meeting.

“Principal...we are all educators here. Shouldn’t you consider the effect of something like this on the student?” Pan Rita took the same side as Teacher Shem. “The paper plane issue isn’t the main discussion here. To have him recite something like that right now, in front of… well, let’s say uninvolved parties, is still a bit...”

“Maybe he shouldn’t have done anything to warrant a reflection essay,” the director said, a bit hostile. She really went by the book. “Consider him lucky for not reading it aloud in front of the whole school.”

Pan Rita was at a loss for words after she heard this. Her eyes widened as she opened her mouth but did not say anything. It was rather funny how she tried to lobby for another class’ student while said student’s head teacher stood right next to her. But, she was a teacher; thus, she ought to do as much. Although Shum Deil didn’t go to her class, she taught him English, even coercing him into joining her extracurricular club.

The principal nodded and said, “I’m not unreasonable. Kids this age are hot-headed; they like to see how far they can go. They, of course, are mindful of appearances as well. It’s not an easy phase to find one’s way out of.” The woman pulled the tea cup closer to her side and took a sip. “I didn’t mean for him to get embarrassed because of this. Teacher Shem, let’s talk about your suggestion after the others leave.”

“There’s no need.” Shum Deil opened his mouth, full of confidence. He shrugged. “I can apologise in a few words.”

He barely said this when a knock sounded on the door, and a male teacher peered through. “Teacher Shem, a student is looking for you. They said it’s important.”

The male teacher backed out after saying this, full well knowing a meeting was being held inside the office. Teacher Shem looked at the principal, unsure whether he should go or stay.

The principal smiled at him. “Go on and see what it’s about. We’ll hear student Shum Deil out in the meantime.”

At the verbal dismissal, Teacher Shem walked out, a bit confused. Before he went, he looked at Shum Deil with encouragement. Only a thumbs-up gesture was missing.

Actually, Teacher Shem was once the Director of Academic Management’s head teacher. She even knew his son, hence the usage of ‘Old’ in her address for him. The two have a good relationship, but if the director gets flustered or anxious, her professional side suffers little holes...

0