April 18, Monday– The impulse made his body go cold (Chapter .36 part 2)
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Saering gazed down at him. “Do you have money on you?”

Although the cap still hid Saering’s forehead, Deil could see more of his features in the illumination of the fancy park lamps. Saering hooked his pinkie into the string of his mask and started pulling it left and right, playing with it as he waited for an answer.

Deil cleared his throat and said, “Some. Why?”

“For a taxi.” Saering took off his cap and ran his fingers through his hair, combing it before putting the cap back on.

The jacket on Deil felt warm. For one, it still held some of Saering’s lingering body heat, and for another, this track jacket was made to be lightweight. Its material guarded against the chill, securing his temperature.

Deil settled into the warmth, burying his hands in his pockets. He ducked his neck so the collar of the jacket covered his mouth. The scent of Saering’s laundry detergent mingled in his nose.

All of a sudden, an almost all-consuming weariness settled into his being. It seemed the more time had left, the less he could keep his anger fuelled nastiness, gradually recovering his composure. All that remained was soreness, hunger, and grouchiness.


 

Sae guessed it would take them half an hour to arrive at the clinic by taxi. He told Deil, “You can’t take public transport in this state.”

“Oh.” Deil’s reply was accompanied by a loud grumble of his stomach.

“Are you…” Sae cocked an eyebrow. “Hungry?”

Deil smirked. “Impeccable detection skills. A top student isn’t called that for nothing.”

Sae readjusted his glasses. “You said you want to go to the doctor. How much do you have? Is it enough for a taxi and food?”

“What if it’s not? You’re gonna feed me?” Deil fished the pack of cigarettes from his pocket and lit one.

“I was thinking you’re gonna treat me to a meal.” Sae couldn’t feel a speck of gratitude for coming to Deil’s rescue. He could be home, in his bed, sleeping and getting mentally ready for tomorrow. Yet, here he was, arguing about the need for medical healthcare. “I mean, I was generous enough to help you...and you still owe me for the bet.”

Deil scrunched his eyebrows. “Didn’t you say that you have no time? Why decide now what you want for the bet?”

“I didn’t say I don’t have time,” Sae disagreed.

“You hinted at it,” Deil said, “It’s the middle of the night.”

This time of the night, the sky shifted into unfathomable darkness, craving to swallow everything in its depths. And yet, they kept arguing in the empty park.

Sae knew better but still asked, “So?”

“Don’t you have things to do?”

“What?”

“Like…” Deil blew out some smoke. “Sleep?”

“Whatever,” Sae started to lose his patience. “I’ve decided. I’m starving and annoyed, so buy me something.”

“Fine. What do you want?” Deil stubbed out the cigarette. “What’s still open? KFC or some shit?”

“Doubt it.” Sae looked around. “It’s close to midnight. Let’s try to find a little shop. A stall or something.”

As they headed out of the park, Sae caught sight of a pharmacy on night duty and made a beeline in that direction. He dropped Deil down in one of the sun-bleached plastic chairs at the front before going inside. It was inconvenient to always put Deil down and then grab him like a sack of potatoes, but it was somewhat comical too.

Sae went in, bought some painkillers, then walked out with a paper bag in hand. He threw the bag at the patient waiting in that ugly plastic chair. “Take some. It’ll help with the pain.”

While he waited for Deil to take the meds, Sae pretended to check his messages in the group chat.

Deil opened the box and looked at the contents inside. “Shit,” he said and pulled some out. The pills were enormous. “You couldn’t buy something to take them with?”

Sae said without glancing up, “Swallow them straight.”

“What if I choke?”

“Then your leg won’t be your biggest problem.”

“You’re twisted.”

Sae gave Deil a look. “Chew them then.” Amidst the grumbling, he heard the sound of the bubble package being torn open.

Deil was cussing even as he popped a pill out. “Do others know how evil your mind operates?”

Sae watched him battle with the painkillers but didn’t reply. He turned his head away with a smile.


After all the fuss, Deil didn’t actually choke, so they made their way along the quiet streets.

Not far from the park, a little eatery advertised their speciality: stuffed fried dough. Delicious scents wafted from the shop, making people swallow mouthfuls of accumulated saliva.

While they passed it, Deil hit Sae’s shoulder three times in quick succession. “I’ll buy, I’ll buy it. Is it okay with you?”

“Stop hitting me!” Sae let go of Deil’s legs.

Deil hopped to one of the tables under the eaves in front of the shop. He let out a breath and sat down.

Sae walked to that table and asked, “What do you want?”

“Pork, sauerkraut, and cheese.” Deil dug out his wallet from his bag and stuffed it into Sae’s hands. “Bring me a drink, too.”

“You’re under medication,” Sae reminded him.

“Jesus,” Deil said under his breath. He reached up and wiped his temple with a hand. “Who said anything about drinking alcohol? Bring me a soda.”

Earlier, a chill had settled in the air, but Deil’s hairline was dark with sweat.

Sae gazed at him intently. It was the first time that he realised; there was a scar behind Deil’s ear. “Are you–– Do you feel queasy?”

Inexplicably, Sae wanted to reach out and feel Deil’s forehead. The impulse made his body go cold, and his arm froze mid-air.

Deil also seemed surprised by the movement. He seemed ready to say something, but Sae took the wallet and left before Deil could open his mouth.


The little eatery was even smaller inside than it looked from the outside. There was more smoke than people around, and some sultry song crooned from the speakers in a dark corner. The fragrant smell of fried garlic permeated the air. Dim lights shifted from orange to purple, at odds with the neon signs flicking everywhere.

Sae walked up to the counter where a young woman with short hair and piercings on both sides of her nose greeted him. She took his order and without asking for an ID, presumed their beverages would be alcoholic. “Beers or anything else?” she asked. “We’re out of craft beer at the moment, but there’s still brand––”

“Two lemon sodas, please,” Sae said.

The young woman looked at him for a moment. Sae wasn’t sure what the problem seemed to be. Maybe they were out of the lemon flavour?

After their brief eye contact, the young woman added the items and rang everything up. She said the order would be ready in a few minutes so Sae decided to wait for it at the counter.

As he paid, a piece of paper tucked inside the folds of the wallet fell out. He picked it up, intending to put it back inside the wallet.

It was a picture of a woman and a kid, developed on traditional photo paper. The photo was creased so much that the colour of the edges along the fold in the middle had become hazy.

The kid in the picture was about six or seven, sitting on the woman’s lap. She had both of her arms wound around him. It was probably Deil and his mother; they looked alike. After a few seconds, Sae folded the picture and slipped it back into the wallet. He also took out a few bills.

Not long later, the young woman signalled for Sae to take the tray already prepared on the counter. Before she returned to the kitchen, she asked, “Are you eating out front?”

Sae made a sound of affirmation.

“Do you want me to switch on the outside lamp?”

There was an outside lamp? Sae was taken aback because the place didn’t seem well maintained at all. Thinking about it, he shook his head. “No need, but thanks.”

“Enjoy the meal,” the young woman said.

Sae hesitated and retreated a few steps. He put the tray back on the counter. “Hey, could you… do you have some ice?”


When he bought the tray outside, Deil sat with his head down, staring at his phone.

“What’d you get?” Deil asked as Sae approached.

“Bacon and purple onions with sour cream,” Sae answered.

The tray with four fried doughs stuffed to the brim and two lemon sodas knocked onto the table. Since this was their third time sharing a meal, Sae knew that a single portion per person wouldn’t suffice.

Deil puckered up his lips. He took his wallet from the tray and pocketed it.

“What?” Sae asked, wanting to laugh at the other’s current expression.

Deil said, “I hate sour cream.”

Sae shrugged his shoulders. “You’re not the one eating it.” He took the small pack of ice locked into several layers of plastic bags from the crook of his arm and reached out towards Deil. “For your leg; elevate it and put this on while we eat.”

Sae dragged a plastic chair over from the other table for Deil to put his leg on. He watched as Deil applied the ice over his pants.

They ate the food while it was still warm. It tasted great, tender on the inside and just greasy enough so that the carbonated drinks could take care of it.

Sae wiped his fingers with a napkin and turned to Deil, “Do you still plan on going to the clinic?” He knew full well that the other didn’t have enough money for it.

“No, I’m feeling better.” Deil took a drink. “Maybe you didn’t cripple me just yet.”

“Glad to hear that. Go and get a professional evaluation tomorrow.” Sae stood up and took the empty tray in his hands. “Okay, then... wait here.”

Without waiting for a reaction, he went into the shop to drop the tray off, surprising the young woman with this well-mannered behaviour.

The young woman said, “You didn’t have to bring it back.”

“It’s nothing. The food was delicious.” Sae also thanked her for the ice.

She waved a hand. “Don’t mention it.”

After this brief exchange, Sae took his leave.

Once outside, he breezed by Deil still wobbling on one leg.

“Hey,” the boy called after his retreating form, “Where are you going?”

“I’ll get a bike,” Sae replied, “I’m done carrying you.”

He jogged back to the bike rental place. It was closed in the middle of the night, but there were bicycles parked in the docking station belonging to the public bike-share system. Sae quickly registered, paid, and was on his merry way.

The headwind felt refreshing, but also like he was moving through a weird dream. In the evening, he thought he would read until he felt sleepy enough, got ready for tomorrow and went to bed. Instead, he went for a midnight snack with Shum Deil, of all people.

When Sae got back Deil was waiting for him close to the shop’s entrance. He leaned on a short, stubby pole, his hands stuffed into his pockets.

As Sae stopped before him, Deil said, “You look really idiotic.”

“Good. Then you can experience looking idiotic with me.” Sae gestured at the back seat. “Hop on.”

“No.” Deil didn’t move.

Sae frowned at him. “Do you want to call your parents?”

Deil didn’t answer.

“Then hop on.”

Deil pushed off the pole. “You’re going to cycle through the city carrying me?”

“I don’t see a better option.” Sae raised his eyebrows.

“A bus would suffice.”

“Buses are no longer running.”

“Let’s call a taxi then.”

“Can you afford it?” Sae watched Deil fret and fume for a minute. “Come on. Get on the bike.”

“Fine.” Deil let out a breath. He pulled his bag to the front and got on in reverse. His back bumped into Sae’s spine. “Go. I’ll tell you the instructions along the way.”

Sae didn’t move. “Will you see where to go while facing the other way?”

Deil twisted his head, asking, “You think I don’t know where I live?”

“Okay.” Sae started pedalling. “Just don’t confuse left with right.”

0