April 23, Saturday– Don’t let her find out about that (Chapter .39)
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Saturday morning, Sae finally visited Emi. It had been a long time since they met up like this, just the two of them playing around without any pressure or responsibilities.

By now, Emi had also finished her exams. When Sae inquired about them, the little girl answered quite perfunctorily, almost as if she was brushing him off. That conversation went down in messages too. It was one of the reasons why Sae visited her unannounced today.

Last night, the boys in the group chat became rowdy. They invited Emi to eat and play during these two weekends as her birthday was in-between. Teo said he wanted to game for a few rounds even before meeting up today, but Sae wrote that he had something to do in the morning, thus couldn’t make it.

Now he rang the bell, and Emi came to open the door. Although Emi was home alone, she had already woken up and changed her pyjamas to home clothes. Her mother wouldn’t arrive until Sunday night but would stay throughout the week. They planned to celebrate Emi’s birthday together.

“Ah, you’re here.” Emi left the door open so Sae could go in. She didn’t say anything else but turned and walked back inside.

Sae changed his shoes and went to sit in the kitchen. The remnants of Emi’s breakfast still lay on the dining table.

The apartment’s layout was the same as Sae’s, but the overall vibe of it was rather distinct; after all, two ladies lived here.

“You said in the chat that you don’t have time today...” Emi said. She poured a cup of water and placed it beside Sae. Regardless if there was a strain on their relationship or if they had not spent valuable time together in weeks, their sense of familiarity could not dissipate.

In the living room, the small sofa could seat up to three people. Emi sat at one end of it, while Sae sat at the table, a few metres of distance between them. He said, “I wanted to come over and see you.”

Emi snorted. “If you have things to do, go on. You don’t need to check on me just because your mum said so.”

“She didn’t tell me to do that.” Sae drew the cup of water close but didn’t take a sip.

“Then what?” Emi asked.

Sae pulled an envelope from his pocket and put it on the table. “I brought you something.”

“I don’t need it. Take it back.” Emi stared at him without blinking.

Sae pointed at the envelope. “Don’t you want to take a look?”

“No.” Emi glanced away and pulled her knees up to her chest. “I’m too mad. I don’t want to see it.”

“And why are you mad at me?” Sae kept watching her expression.

Emi couldn’t meet his eyes. “You’re keeping things to yourself.”

“Mnm,” Sae agreed. “I’m not the only. You do that too.”

“What?” Emi protested, “When did I?”

Sae took the envelope and went to the deep azure sofa to put it closer to Emi’s hand. “You didn’t tell me about Rise Chan coming to help out last time. Or that you got a tutor. There are times when you go out and play with your friends, but I don’t know any of them. And that’s okay. We aren’t kids anymore.”

“That’s not the same!” Emi objected.

“Why? You only want to share things when it comes to me?”

Emi shook her head. “Since the start of the second semester, you run off all the time. Even when you tell me you’re busy studying, you aren’t home anyway.”

Sae knew the little girl was angry at him. He had been putting her off lately but seeing her seethe and act passive about it – he found her amusing.

“Ever since I can remember,” Emi continued, “You were always by my side. I knew all your friends, and you never left me behind. But now that you’re in high school, I’m left out.”

Sae denied it. “That’s not true.”

“It must be embarrassing to have a little kid following you around,” Emi muttered.

“Hey, that’s not true.” Sae sat down on the tea table across from her. “These weeks, I stayed back because I didn’t want to distract you from studying.”

“And what was that video you sent me?” The rims of Emi’s eyes were pink and glistening. “Let me watch a cover performance when you know I couldn’t see the real thing. Were you mocking me?”

It was his first time seeing Emi be so close to tears since she’d turned nine. When she was little, Emi cried quite often. Every time, Sae had to hold her hand and calm her down. Now they were no longer little kids. It had been a long time since Sae held Emi’s hand.

“I wasn’t mocking you,” Sae told her.

Emi looked up. “You weren’t?”

“Of course not,” Sae took the envelope and opened it, pulling out the tickets to show her.

“What is this?” Emi took the papers from his outstretched hand. She fumbled for a moment, her eyes swimming with tears, unable to read it.

Sae patted her hair. “Happy birthday!”

When it finally registered that what she held in her hands were tickets to her dream concert, Emi screamed. She rubbed her eyes and looked back and forth between the tickets and Sae. “Is this real?”

Sae nodded.

Emi sprang up. “Shut up! Why did you buy me this? The tickets for additional dates are always pricier!”

“You’re right; it wasn’t cheap,” Sae admitted. He looked up at Emi. “Now you’ll see the real thing.”

“Shut up!” Emi stamped her feet and screamed again.

Listening to the joy in her voice made Sae laugh. “Are you still mad at me?”

“How could I be mad?” Emi jumped in place and dove at Sae to hug him. “Thank you!”

The two hugged for a moment before Emi had to observe the tickets again. The smile on her face was so big it almost split the corners of her mouth. “Ey, Hoh Saering! You’re a rich kid~”

“Go and check which area you’ll be sitting at.” Sae pushed Emi in the direction of her room.

It was true that their friendship had changed, but that was only natural. They both had to come to terms with things that occurred while growing up. Sae not telling Emi where he was or whom he was with didn’t mean he no longer cared about her. Likewise, if Emi had secrets, it was natural for him to have some too. From now on, their lives intersected only in parts and portions they were willing to delve into.

While Emi checked on her laptop which sector the tickets belonged to, she started rambling about school and her progress with test papers. She mentioned Rise Chan at least twice before Sae asked, “What’s your deal with that kid?”

“Nothing,” Emi waved her hand. “What is your deal with Minke?”

Sae blinked at her. “We’re friends.”

“Same here.” Emi spun around in her rolling chair. “We’re friends.”

Sae grabbed the chair’s armrest and stopped its spinning. “He doesn’t want anything from you?”

Emi smirked at him. “Even if he wanted anything, he’d long given up by now.”

“Why?”

Because of Mara, was Emi’s answer.

Sae was astonished. “The girl you fought with?” 

Emi gave a laugh. “Yeah, but we’re friends now. Remember that, okay?”


 

They went out to play, all in the name of celebrating Emi’s birthday.

“Why are you celebrating in advance?” Sae’s mum asked with an easy smile. 

“It wasn’t my idea,” Sae told her.

“Good morning.” Emi greeted with a grin, like the good-natured, good-mannered child she was. The two of them were about to head out, but before that, Sae returned home to change his shoes. 

Sae’s mum greeted Emi and said, “I haven’t seen you in a while. I hope you’re doing well.”

“Yes,” Emi said. “We’ve finished exam week.”

Sae’s mum nodded. “Don’t you want to slack off after the exams? Your birthday isn’t until next week.”

“I don’t mind if it’s in advance.” Emi pulled the strap of her bag over her chest. “We’ll celebrate again next week. Thanks to them, I can eat and play more.”

“Well, have fun then!” Sae’s mum patted his shoulder and asked, “Do you need my card?”

Sae finished changing his shoes and straightened up. “I have enough money.”

His mum held onto the door. She wore comfortable clothes, so probably wouldn’t go out again until late afternoon. “Text me when you’ll be coming back.”

“Mnm. Mum,” Sae said, “Don’t cook today. Order something light and rest up.”

“Stop nagging.” His mum slapped him on the back. “Straighten up! Be careful and only play in moderation. Don't go wild just because it’s the weekend.”

“Okay. Bye, Mum.” The two of them bid farewell.

Emi pulled Sae closer after they exited the house. “Your mum looks exhausted,” she said in a soft voice.

Sae nodded. “There are problems with the restaurant. She told me not to mind it, but...”

They arrived at the lift, and Emi pushed the button for the ground floor. “How long has she been working overtime?”

“It’s been a while.” Sae shook his head. “She probably didn’t want to disturb my studies.”

They descended in silence. A strong scent permeated the inside of the lift as if someone carried paints, and the lingering fumes remained.

Emi turned to glance at Sae. “She’ll be okay, right?”

Sae knew what the little girl was asking. Even if the restaurant had problems and ultimately had to cut back on expenses, the position of manager was a fairly safe one. The current problem wasn’t with their turnover rate, but rather if they could maintain it with the changes in staff.

“Mnm.” It was unclear who Sae tried to reassure, Emi or himself. “She should be."


 

They planned to go bowling, then eat lunch somewhere.

Only Teo could make it today, saying he’d pay for the bowling fee. Kaikai vowed to treat everyone to lunch next week. They were boys, after all. Getting personal presents for Emi would be making a fuss. They regarded her as Sae’s little sister, so treating her to things was acceptable, but buying presents seemed a tad improper. The girls usually pooled money to buy something practical but cute that they would give to Emi on her birthday. Susu and Minke had the principle that birthday presents had to be given on the day, not before or after.

The bowling alley where they agreed to meet today was in the neighbourhood. Teo was too lazy to dress up to any degree; he stood outside in slippers.

“What is with you?” Sae had to laugh when he noticed the slippers. “Dressed like that, isn’t it a bit too similar to a stroll to the convenience store?”

“Shut it. I only got up like, fifteen minutes ago,” Teo said with a yawn. His hair stood every which way. He dragged a hand over his face, rubbing it.

“What are you doing out here?” Sae asked. “Why not go inside?”

“Coming out to welcome the princess,” Teo jested. He stuffed his hands into his pockets and jumped up and down, trying to hold back another yawn. “Happy advanced birthday!” He pulled a party popper from his pocket, popped it, then took a paper crown from the bush beside him and placed it on Emi’s head. It was printed with stars and stiff enough to wear for a few hours.

“Thank you.” Emi righted the crooked crown on her head and grinned. “Where’d you get it?”

Teo touched the tip of her nose. “That’s a secret.”

Sae bent down to pick up the waste paper on the ground. “Come; help pick this up before we go inside.”

Fortunately, the party popper was the string kind, so they didn’t have to stay and pick up tiny pieces of confetti for hours on end.

Emi’s phone pinged with a notification, so she stayed back to check it. Sae and Teo walked through the door first, looking for a waste bin. While they got rid of the rubbish, Sae asked Teo with a laugh, “Really, where’d you find that crown? It looks like something made for little kiddie parties.”

Teo leaned over, lowering his voice, “I saw it at the stationery store and asked the cashier for one. They said it’s not for sale. They usually give it to little kids. I told them I happened to know one celebrating her birthday today, and they gave it to me as a present.”

They shared a look. Sae whispered, “Don’t let Emi find out about that.”


The bowling alley was small, with only six lanes. The three of them changed their shoes and went towards the inner lanes closest to the air conditioning.

“So, how are we doing this?” Teo rubbed his hands. “Individual game sounds right. Okay?”

“Actually, we can split into teams,” Emi interjected, “I invited someone.”

The brows of Teo and Sae unanimously rose.

“Who did you invite?” Sae asked while he slipped out of his sleeveless hoodie. It was too hot inside the alley.

“Originally, I should’ve gone to the library for a lesson with Deil and only met you for lunch,” the little girl stated. “We didn’t double-check about the lessons after midterms. I assumed we wouldn’t have one, but Deil already went to meet me. He messaged me just now, and I told him to come and join us if he wanted. We’re already here and the library’s not far. I don’t know how to make it up to him otherwise.”

Teo chuckled. “How nice it is that you have me to pay your token of atonement.” In contrast to what he said, he seemed utterly unbothered. “Whatever, I don’t mind. When will he get here?”

“Can he play?” Sae mumbled. He felt a little uneasy for some reason.

“He should be able to play; he’s been to school already, hasn’t he?” Emi plopped down on the sofa. “He said he’s coming straight from the library. Even with his crutch, it shouldn’t take that long.”

Teo clapped his palms together. “Okay, then we’ll decide how to split into teams once he’s here. Hey, Sae, where are you going?”

Sae was already on his way to change his shoes. “I’ll go meet him. Be right back.”

He was gone before they could react.


The sunlight was so bright it momentarily blinded Sae as he stepped outside. Poplar trees bloomed surrounding the area around the bowling alley, their white fluff riding on the breeze. Sae stopped before the entrance, looking around.

“Sae!” Someone called out to him.

Following the sound’s direction, he twisted his head to see Deil limping on the sidewalk.

Deil grinned even before he came close. “What are you doing outside?”

“I just... Emi told us you’re joining,” Sae replied without actually giving a reason. He felt foolish for coming out here.

“Ah, yeah. She didn’t tell me to cancel the lesson, so...” Deil leaned on his right side and tugged at his ear. “I wanted to ask... Are you and Emi okay? I know it’s not my business, but I keep feeling like she’s angry at you. And maybe that’s partly because of… me.”

Deil’s revelation surprised Sae. He didn’t think his awkwardness with Emi was that obvious to others. He also didn’t expect Deil to pick up on the reason behind it.

Sae shook his head and opened his mouth to speak. “It’s not that, and we’re good now. You don’t have to mind it.”

“Okay,” Deil nodded. “So that means I don’t have to tiptoe around anyone.”

“Do you even know how to do that?” Sae asked with a smile. He turned to go inside. Since he moved faster, he held the door open. “Can you even play?”

Seeing his attentiveness, Deil snickered. Warm air gently fanned over Sae’s arm as Deil said, “I’m not sure how accurate I can be, but we’ll see.”


How accurate Deil could be? He was not only able to stand but to limp around as well. Although his stance was anything but professional – and a few times he dropped the ball – miraculously, those dropped balls that crawled like snails swept everything, bringing two strikes out of three.

“That can’t be. Can’t be,” Teo mumbled, watching the ball roll over at an excruciatingly leisure pace. “It can’t! I GIVE UP!” Teo spun around, both of his palms covering his face. He plopped down on the bench with a wail.

“Next time, just sit down. I don’t think even that would hinder you,” Sae said to Deil. When he glanced at Teo, he had to laugh.

Deil grinned but didn’t say anything.

“Who said I can’t be in a team with him?!” Teo came back to life.

“You!” Emi shot back, her voice lilting with amusement. The little girl was immensely happy. When she smiled, her double eyelids became more prominent. Currently, she and Deil kept crushing the SaeTeo duo. Emi was a decent player, while Deil proved to be better than the average hobby enthusiast, even with a walking boot and crutch hindering him.

Emi pointed at the SaeTeo duo. “Another set, and you’re buying lunch.”

“I can’t believe this! We are winners!” Teo grabbed Sae and presented him to Emi. “He won at fifteen-hundred metres, and I finished second at four hundred. Do you know how scarring this experience is for us right now?” He pushed Sae ahead of himself. “Go! Save us from utter humiliation!”

They weren’t playing seriously in the first place, pushing the ball between their legs, rolling it while they turned around, and throwing however they liked. No one took Teo’s mini theatre play to heart. The point was to enjoy themselves; laughing at each other and experiencing small surprises were satisfactory.

To no one’s surprise, Emi and Deil still won.

Prior to the game, they had made a bet. Whoever lost had to buy food next. Teo showcased his talent by putting act two into motion. “After today, I won’t have a cent left. How will I get by in this materialistic world?” He punctuated his woes with a sigh.

Emi accepted the card from the bowling alley employee and slipped it into Teo’s front pocket. “Oh, please. You paid with your mom’s card.”

“Mum said her money is our family’s money. I’m part of the family too,” Teo retorted.

Off to the side, Sae and Deil watched the two of them. Deil chuckled at their antics.

“I told you they’re like this. Like the last two brain cells completing each other,” Sae told him.

“Mnm,” Deil agreed. He propped his elbow on the counter. “They are compatible.”

“No doubt.” Sae adjusted his glasses and glanced back at the two.

“Where will you eat?” Deil inquired.

Sae turned to him. “Where do you want to eat?”

The expression on the other boy’s face stiffened, features hollowed into utter astonishment. “I’m invited too?”

“Emi didn’t say you have anywhere to be after the lesson, so I just thought...” Sae’s voice faltered. “It’s–– it’s probably around the time you normally finish. I mean, if you have something else...”

Deil wobbled his head. “I don’t. I won’t go anywhere.” His always-present cockiness vanished, leaving only eagerness to shine in his eyes. “I’ll eat with you guys.”

Sae nodded without continuing the conversation, resting his gaze on Deil. Deil possessed a pair of upturned eyes, the outer corners particular. His pupils were no bigger than tiny pinpricks when he was outside, but now they were big and round, dense eyelashes shading them.

“So, where are we eating?” Emi came over and put an arm on Deil’s crutch, squeezing its handle. “I’m famished. Deil, what do you want to eat? Since we won, we’ll decide where to go.”

Deil blinked a few times. He took the crutch back and put it under his arm. “I’m okay with anything. But I can’t eat spicy things for a while. So… pizza?”

Emi bobbed her head vehemently. “That’s good. I want to eat it now that you’ve mentioned it. Sae, you’re good with pizza, right?”

Sae gave a sound of acknowledgement.

The little girl didn’t waste a minute. She spun around to holler at Teo, “Quick, tell us the best pizza place that’s open now!”

0