The Rift: 2
123 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From: Overwatch Council 

To: Life Creation Division Leader George Nelson, Genetics Division Leader Shawn Anderson (Direct line)

Congratulations! We are proud to inform you that after an intense session of deliberation, as a result of a majority vote of 8-7, The Overwatch Council has decided to give the ownership of Eden-44 to both the Life Creation and Genetics Division. Further details will be attached.


From: George Nelson

To: Shawn Anderson

We actually fucking did it holy shit. To think Overwatch would actually give us the entire planet to do what we want with it, you got any plans? Since my mind is going crazy with them.


From: Shawn Anderson

To: George Nelson 

Honestly I have no idea on what to do first, we could perhaps try creating new ultra resistant breeds of trees, genetically modified animals, bugs, insects, and way more now that we have an entire fucking planet to ourselves. The vote was a close one though, 8-7.




George Nelson happily sipped from his bottle of expensive whiskey as he looked over some documents on his laptop. When he had proposed his plan to Alpha Command, he pulled every string he could and called in every possible favor to make sure that his request for the ownership of Eden-44 would make it onto the desks of Overwatch. 

He leaned back in his chair and took another sip of whiskey.

“Aahhhhh, life’s good.” he said to himself.

Ding

“Hmm? A notification? I swear I turned those off…” 

After leaning in, he checked his laptop’s notification status. 

“It really is turned off, damn 4 months and this thing is already dying on me” he muttered, slightly irritated.

“Might as well” He moved his cursor over to the notification and clicked it.

When the insignia popped up, his irritated mood instantly disappeared.




Shawn Anderson was way too drunk for his own good. After receiving the news that his division, along with Life Creation, his entire division partied like hell. Champagne bottles were popped open, corks were flying everywhere, and the pizza ordered from the facility mess hall tasted better than usual.

After downing an unhealthy amount of alcohol, he excused himself from the party and stumbled his way to his private quarters. After managing to open his door with the biometric scanner, he stumbled to his bed and collapsed on top of it. 

The moment he closed his eyes however, a ringing sound from his desktop got his attention. 

“Which fucker could be calling at this time…” he muttered angrily, he decided to ignore the call. 

Eventually, the annoying ringing sound stopped and he could finally sleep in peace. 

“Notice, you are being messaged by a highly important person. Automatically sending to your  neural network.” 

“Hmm?” Shawn, still very groggy and irritated about being woken for the second time, took a moment to process the words his AI had said in his head. 

Highly important person? Only highly important people I know about are the asshats in Alpha Command. What the hell could they be calling about? He thought.

“Reading received message from highly important person: Get your ass to your desktop now” 

 What the fuck? Shawn dragged himself out of his comfy warm bed and went to his desk, where he plopped himself down on his chair. 

After booting up his computer, he went over to his notifications and clicked on the newest one.

“Ah, I see”




Secure Chatroom #038141

O-3: I do apologize for the ungodly hour you received an invite to this chat room through your emails, we have some things to discuss. 

O-3: you may have seen a recent email detailing the fact that ownership of Eden-44 will be handed over to the Life Creation and genetics department. You may see that the vote was a close one, 8-7. I was the tiebreaker, and this means that you owe me. 

O-3: If you still aren’t convinced, Nelson, I am aware of all the strings and favors you pulled and called in for your proposal to reach our desks. In other words, I have you by the balls. Do you two understand?

Shawn Anderson: Yes, sir.

George Nelson: Yes, sir. 

O-3: Very well, I will inform you in this chat room on when I would like to call in my favors




Construction Division Director Tobias Pierce was very nervous, after all, it’s not every day he gets ordered to build a massive underground facility on another planet that can be accessed by what is essentially portal technology. At first, he didn’t believe it, until he saw it personally, of course. 

He sighed as he looked down on his PDA, which displayed detailed construction plans for a massive, advanced, and expensive underground facility, containing residential areas, research areas, industrial sectors, and even farms to ensure self sufficiency. 

Another 20 Billion dollars sinked into a new site, at times, he just wonders where the hell the Corporation managed to get that much money…

But who cares? As long as he gets paid at the end of the day, he doesn’t care how the corporation gets its money.


  7 Years later - Eden-44


Both George Nelson and Shawn Anderson stood outside the entrance of their brand new facility, which had literally just finished construction mere minutes ago, there were several heavy duty construction vehicles parked outside the entrance, surrounded by a small army of construction workers. The entire facility was built into the side of a mountain 

They both spotted the Construction Division Director walking up to them. 

“Well, Construction is finally complete, the safety and regulations checks were just completed, you can start moving in personnel whenever you feel like it” he said. 

“Thank you for your hard work.” replied George. 

“You’re welcome! Ha ha, I don’t get many of those. Anyways, I’ll start work on the many smaller bases and outposts around the rest of the planet. See you two later.” The construction director headed towards the massive temporary rift platform, along with the rest of the crew who were packing their things up and driving back through the temporary rift. 

For now, the two of them were alone.

They both walked up to the entrance, admiring the natural look of the opening. Before long, they reached the massive metal gate of the facility entrance. Along with all the concealed turrets and cameras, which they can see very clearly due to their eye implants. A small camera popped out of the ceiling, scanned them both, before returning to hiding. 

The mechanical whrr of the gate opening was like music to their ears. The future looked bright for them.




From: George Nelson

To: Shawn Anderson

I finally managed to get all my men into the place, it’s like a small city in this place. Heard from some loose lips that the facility cost 20 billion dollars, most of which was thrown towards the Rift Opener we have in the middle of the facility. I’m ready to begin our first experiments, shoot me an email when you’re ready as well.


From: Shawn Anderson 

To: George Nelson 

I’m ready to begin experimentation as well, did you get any emails about our first assignments? My email is empty.


From: George Nelson

To: Shawn Anderson

Apparently, we’re mostly given free reign to do mostly anything we want, as long as we keep providing satisfying results to Overwatch. Honestly, I’m not too fond of this freedom. I like being told what to do, surprisingly. I guess being in the corporation for as long as I have turns you like this. You got any idea on what to do first? If you were wondering, we already released the seeds of earth’s trees and other shrubbery into the wild.


From: Shawn Anderson 

To: George Nelson 

I figure we can start with small animals. I received a shipment of small animals, mostly squirrels, rabbits, and some birds from the Biology Department a couple hours ago. Some of my subordinates were talking about how their son drew a picture of a squirrel, but it looked like it had spikes coming out of it rather than fur. If you’re thinking what I’m thinking, we can start experimentation if you want. Thanks for taking care of the tree problem for me, btw.


From: George Nelson

To: Shawn Anderson

Sounds great for our first project here, I’m actually glad we can start making new species of animals, we were too limited back on earth, the United States would definitely get a bit suspicious of us if new species started popping out of nowhere.


From: George Nelson

To: Shawn Anderson

Our first project is a success, the first successful test subjects have been released into the wild, each has a chip located in them so we know their location until their death. We’ll have to start pumping out new predator species quickly before these spiked rats breed to high hell. I’ve also attached experimentation data below on the spiky squirrel.




Level 7 Clearance Document 

Highest Clearance Version - Give Level 4 Clearance version to all other persons

Research Subject: Spinosus Sciurus (Spiky Squirrel) 

 

Experiment 1 - Test subjects 001-007: Resulting bone growth led to massive internal hemorrhaging which quickly led to the subject’s death. Subjects were unable to grow to adulthood as the majority of subjects died in adolescence. 

Results: All subjects expired either in infancy or adolescence. Research data saved 

 

Experiment 2 - Test subjects 008-031: The randomization of furs growth being replaced by bone led to a great amount of randomization in the subject’s “spikiness”. Some subjects were completely covered in spikes while others had a minimal amount. Subjects were extremely hostile to everything, attacking researchers and other subjects. This madness was caused by the intense pain of bone growth. 

Results: Experiment deemed a failure, subjects were terminated and then incinerated, with the exception of Test subject 015, which was euthanized and put on display in the hallway as it contained a balanced amount of both fur and spikes. Research data saved 

 

Experiment 3A - Test subjects 032 - 087: The genetic material of subjects were altered so that the pain receptors of the subjects will not fully develop until late stages of adolescence. This proved effective in reducing the number of overly hostile test subjects. The randomness of the spike growth still remained, it was also discovered that spikes growing near the eyes and ears rendered the subject either blind, deaf, or both. The randomness of the spikes caused different subjects to have differing levels of agility. Some subjects had a large concentration of spikes near their tails, which rendered it largely useless. The opposite was also true, as some subjects also displayed large concentrations of spike growth near the head, which had a large strain on the neck. 

Results: Experiment deemed a partial failure, subjects were terminated and incinerated with the exception of test subject 065, which was euthanized and put on display in the main hallway. Research data saved. 

 

Experiment 3B - Test subjects 088 - 100: Genetic material altered slightly to stop bone growth near the eyes and ears. All subjects were able to see and hear at an acceptable level. 

Results: Experiment deemed a success. Subjects terminated and incinerated. Research data saved. 

 

Experiment 4 - Test subjects 101- 195: Genetic material altered so that all subjects would have a level of muscle growth equal to that of the amount of spikes grown. This resulted in subjects with radically different sizes, with the largest subject, 126, being as large as an average housecat. A rare phenomenon was also observed, a majority of subject 126’s fur was completely replaced by spikes, around 95%. Subject 126 attracted an unusual amount of female subjects, which then also attracted a large number of smaller males. This led to some sort of a pack behavior, with subject 126 being the “Alpha” or leader of the pack, claiming the majority of females for himself. Subsequent generations of Subject 126 had approximately a 5% chance to inherit Subject 126’s trait of having the majority of the body covered in spikes. These generations were also found to have a enhanced sex drive, larger sperm tanks, larger genitalia, and higher endurence. 

Results: Experiment deemed a major success. Exact genetic copy of Subject 126’s DNA was copied and stored. Subjects were terminated and incinerated. Research data saved.

 

Experiment 5 - Test Subjects 196 - 250: Genetic data altered to completely remove the randomness of spikes. Subjects had “spike stripes” where there would be a strip of spikes followed by a strip of normal fur, and vice versa. This achieved a good balance between size and spikes.

Results and Conclusion: Test subjects were chipped and released into the wild, a genetic copy of Subject 126 was released as well. 

End of report

 

 

Below are the concept logos/insignia for the Life Creation Division and Overwatch

Life Creation Concept Logo

Overwatch Concept Logo

2