Chapter 1 – Exhumed Again?
311 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sky was an eerie purple-tinged black, void of any sort of familiarity, no clouds, no stars, nor even the slightest precursory sign of the moon. Stillness is all there was. A disturbing cold whisked about along with an ethereal, subtle hymn of despair indescribably present all around.

'Ah, again! As if going through Epsilon ONCE wasn't enough! TWICE NOW! Twice too many I say! Wa- wait... dead again? N- no no no, surely not... Display Status!'

[System Tier I]
Name: Remus
Epithet: Black Swan

Attributes:
⟩ Strength | ???/30
⟩ Vitality | ???/30
⟩ Endurance | ???/30
⟩ Dexterity | ???/30
⟩ Speed | ???/30
⟩ Perception | ???/30
⟩ Acuity | ???/30
⟩ Intent | ???/30
⟩ Attunement | ???/30

'Nope, doesn't confirm anything...'

Almost convinced he died again, for a measure of peace Remus panned his gaze upward and reached to check his pulse along his jaw.

Dup- dap- dup- dap-

'Fuhh, alive still! Ahahaha, almost scared me there. Anyways, hmm... how did I reach here then?'

Piercing eldrich screams echoed in the boundless dark from all directions in synchronous with unending inundating sensations that washed over like waves of the monsoon, rapid and heavy. Meandering through contemplation, lost, so dazed that he was unaware of the manifestations in his surroundings.

Suddenly a pulsating prismatic glow replaced the present all-encompassing dark field. Despite the jarring nature of the sudden disturbance, stilled and glaze-eyed was Remus. All of it was maddening, but so lost in trance he was that he noticed not. With each burst of radiance, Remus faded ever-so-slightly until Remus was no more.

***

All there was a potent pine-like smell. Then came erratic bursts of colour, surreal blends of images contained within. Blinding flashes of light projected from innumerable angles. Multitudes of sounds came and went with no rhyme nor reason, all dissimilar to each other.

Images of bugs, birds, and rodents superposed all perception, co-occurring with ant-like ministration felt all around. Occasionally such imagery was melded with blurry shapes of vaguely miniature humanoids speaking gnomic utterances passing by subtlety in the background. All the while the body experienced impressions of being pushed, pulled, crushed, stretched, flipped, twisted, turned, bounced, and spiralled, bound to any and all possible directions in rapid sequence.

The sequence reached a crescendo with the parsing feeling of being torn and reassembled, again and again, and again. Then all came to an abrupt halt, dead-calm finally.

With a mind stuck between profundity and banality from the experience endured, it coped by instantiating strong, stubborn ignorance, all the while flushing out all traces of what had happened from its psyche. What had happened vanished from the mind completely, scrubbed clean.

What had happened was simply nothing. Remus experienced nothing but serenity, for nothing had happened.

***

Huff- huff- huff- huff-

Remus stirred conscious with heaving breaths and cold sweat dewed about his pores.

"Ughh... ouch... my head..."

Now awake, courtesy of a piercing headache, Remus just laid there for a while even with the disagreeable uneven ground under, with a hand pressing on his forehead. Going through Epsilon always took a toll on him, but thankfully this time he was left with only a headache as opposed to losing all memories like during his first time there.

'All things considered, only losing memory of the journey through Epsilon and a headache is a lot better than last time... and I suppose I could count escaping the Murim1A world where martial arts are prevalent and strength governs the world. Special energy is used to enhance capabilities beyond that of normal, in this story the energy in question is referred to as Mana. as a lucky star...'

"HAHAHAHA, ouch- ouch... I suppose they'd never get to follow through with their crusade against me..."

A few moments later, Remus felt the headache letting up quite a bit, thus prompting him to move finally. His movement kicked up dust, or rather ashes, while a peculiar smell heavy in the air immediately permeated his vicinity.

AHHCHUU!-

Rubbing his nose, he noticed a nosebleed. Now, he was cognizant and fully aware, he noticed that all of his facial orifices showed dry blood trails that tricked down his face. This probably happened whilst he was unconscious. Remus, unconcerned wiped them off with the only cloth available to him, the sleeves of his robes.

'Now it's blood-stained, tch'

Now really ready, Remus swivelled his eyes to a rocky ceiling, about 20 metres high. His eyes adjusted to the blinding ambience. Colouring his vision was bright-red shaded blistering stone, almost bloodlike with maroon and magenta accents. It seemed blistering hot with how faint fumes radiated off them. Groggily he stood up his full 6 foot 4 inches, to take stock of the surroundings.

'Now, where am I? ...Huh...? Whatever happened here makes Murim seem mild in comparison. Whoever or whatever did this is sure one unrepentantly brutal and sadistic thing...'

Despite living a cutthroat life in the Murim, full of multiple accounts of carnage, never had he seen such a heinous slaughter of such proportion. Realization hit him like a truck, dawning on him that the odour in the air was of consequence from the scene on display. The scent was putrid but sweet, equally balanced with something akin to leather being tanned over a flame. So thick the smell, it was almost a taste.

The whole cavern appeared to be full of frozen impressions of anger amongst hills of ashen remains. Some perhaps were irate gazes defiant towards death that claimed them regardless. Hard to tell really when all left of the snarling corpses was charred flesh and bones burning in golden flames.

Despite numbering in the thousands, the subtle variance between the corpses gave no answers to what had caused the flames. The colour of the flames entertained the possibility of the cause seeming magical in nature. There wasn’t anything Remus could do for them that didn’t extend beyond the symbolic. Quietly he uttered his condolences with a martial bow.

'Well, I want no part with what turned these people into charcoal, better get going now, but first...'

"Display Status"

※ Initialising System Update...
...
...
...
※ Configuring System Update...
※ Avatar/Name: Remus...
...
...
...
[System Tier II]
Name: Remus
Epithet: Black Swan
Level: 0 | Arhat N3UU7...
...
...
...
[System Tier II]
Name: Remus
Epithet: Black Swan
Level: 0 | Initiate
Free Attribute Points: 0

Attributes:
⟩ Strength | 42/50
⟩ Vitality | 36/50
⟩ Endurance | 33/50
⟩ Dexterity | 31/50
⟩ Speed | 37/50
⟩ Perception | 31/50
⟩ Acuity | 39/50
⟩ Intent | 43/50
⟩ Attunement | 38/50
⟩ Vitae | 1/50

Vitae Expression: #???
Mana Katas [0/1]:

According to his previous Status, conventional wisdom in the Murim dictated that 30 was the limit of all attributes, but Remus had his doubts. Especially considering what he went through and the feats he achieved in the Murim.

'Hmm, strange... Anyways, woah I see some new things! I knew it, my Attributes have been over 30 for a while now!  I wonder why the changes to the Status sheet though...? Hmmm, I'll have to get back to it later, gotta get out of this sauna ASAP.'

Stranded, Remus couldn't step without unintentionally desecrating the dead. Slowly, stepping carefully between the dead as best as possible, he made his way to the cavern's opening. From there Remus went on into the tunnels to find an exit.

Corpses of monstrosities littered dead occasionally all along the paths Remus treaded. They appeared like some form of a twisted depiction of wolves. Oversized yellowed teeth branched out of their mouths along with six bleary eyes, four of such were front-facing and the other two were just under each ear respectively, all of which were placed on a disproportionately big head. They were estimated to stand at 2 metres from shoulder to paw, covered in grey coats that shone red from the light coming off the walls, hinting at metallic nature. Where one would assume claws would have been were instead four yellowed boney scythe-like extrusions.

So uncanny they were, that surely they could only be demons. A parody of nature's fauna, truly detestable.

"Those don't look friendly. I wouldn't mind never seeing these again after getting out, 'cos I can imagine em bein' a pain in the ass to kill."

The tunnels were destitute, sandy wastelands. Sand and rock were all there was for miles. Remus curtailed his hope of finding any source of water here, when after time and time again seemingly seeing water ahead, but only to find none and a discordant sound of deep silent laughter abounds. The problem wasn't that his mind would play tricks on him, he was certain. His Attribute pool proved his mental grit, so there was something at play here, something sinister, and he had strong suspicions on what.

Every so often he stopped to recuperate. Time was pressing on him for urgency. Cultivating through Mana circulation for a temporary recovery was simply a stop-gap measure to actual sustenance. No amount of Cultivation could substitute for his loss of water and nutrients. Naturally, the body excreted sweat to stave off the heat, and nutrients for energy, but he only had so much water to go on before succumbing to death by dehydration.

'I can't keep going on like this... Training hard is good n'ol but I'm definitely pushing too far especially considering the uncertainty of the circumstances I've somehow gotten myself into...'

Trapped between a rock and a hard place, he broke his training rule of no Mana enhancement unless in combat, all with the intent to rocket on forward, in hopes of expediting his exit.

"Welp here goes nothin'..."

[§] Congratulations! [§]
-------------------------------
※ Registered Mana Kata:
⟨ True Refinement (5☆) ⟩

'Huh... Display Status'

[System Tier II]
Name: Remus
Epithet: Black Swan
Level: 0 | Initiate
Free Attribute Points: 0

Attributes:
⟩ Strength | 42/50
⟩ Vitality | 36/50
⟩ Endurance | 33/50
⟩ Dexterity | 31/50
⟩ Speed      | 37/50
⟩ Perception | 31/50
⟩ Acuity | 39/50
⟩ Intent | 43/50
⟩ Attunement | 38/50
⟩ Vitae | 1/50

Vitae Expression: #???
Mana Katas [1/1]:
⟩ True Refinement (5☆)
[66.2%:Brilliance]

"Where'd that number come out from? Only 66.2%? Clearly, I've not been working hard enough. My own Cultivation technique is only 66.2% mastered? ME? Murim's Reverent Jack? I will have to absolutely remedy such a blemish on my Status sheet as soon as I find my way out of this punishing place..." he groaned while introducing the enhanced capabilities into his rhythm of movement.

HUP- hup- huup~ hap!-

'Another moment, another step... gait consistent, advancement persistent, movement efficient and eventually I will arrive triumphant...'

He steadily continued trekking onward. It could only be said to be a grudging journey. Every so often he took breaks, circulating his Mana to ease muscle tension and relieve body pressure. Slowly, but ever present thirst and hunger gnawed at him.

Each time he got down for rest, without exception there was a subtle sense of something watching him overhead. It was always there every time. Just. There. Always a constant distance from him at all times of rest. As his pace changed, this gaze matched his tempo. Sometimes stopping a few times an hour, it was there. Sometimes stopping once every few hours, it was there. That gaze only ever came by when he stopped.

Remus found this annoying as it prevented him from even the comfort and ease of mind, worried that it just might suddenly decide to ambush him as soon as his attention left it. So he couldn't sleep. He couldn't risk himself being unguarded like that.

***

The cramped view of the tunnels is all that he saw for days. Day in, day out the search continued, the scenery still barely changed. Red rust-coloured sand, littered every so often with boulders of varying sizes, which Remus had a feeling might host some unpleasant things. So he kept his distance from them, constantly.

Throat parched, so hungry that he was beginning to eye the rotting corpses and exhaustion hampering his movement. This all was exacerbated by how the heat was sweltering on him, it was beginning to approach fatal territory. His condition declined until he could barely move forward at all.

'Going by how hungry I am, I'd say it's been 12 maybe 15 days since I found myself here. The constant ambient light makes it confusing to keep track of time. Also, I've never really starved before considering my enhanced constitution and close proximity to food at all times... Ah I how I miss having roasted rabbit, and those disgusting corpses don't seem to look disgusting anymore... Ah, with how things are I'm even considering licking on my sweat... I'm just... I'm just thirsty...'

Clearly, at an impasse and not keen on dying, Remus finally decided that this approach wasn't helping him. Moving past his lament, Remus rebalanced his bearings. He slowly lowered himself and laid down, eyes shut, and his huffing breath calmed.

Grasping at straws he tried to remember anything of significance throughout his search, but nothing came to mind. In this moment of apprehension Remus was so frustrated he began to cycle through all of his Attributes until when leveraging his Attunement Attribute in tandem with True Refinement to lash out in vexation, he sensed something. He latched onto it, and an indescribably mystical whisper urged him to will himself out...

※ Force Exit Realm Breach #793?

Now boosted with a sudden bout of enthusiasm, jumping up and down Remus joyfully exclaimed, "Yes! Yes, yes! Out...Please!".

A flash of familiar iridescence swallowed Remus, leaving the area to pervade with silence once more.

Like the truest of protagonists, lashing out works! Or maybe it was the generic trope of 'the last resort always works, letting the protagonist survive by the skin of his teeth!'. Regardless, Remus barely survived.

***

Disorientated from the transition Remus stumbled and tripped, falling to his knees. Clenching his hands tight, Remus grunted "Uff!".

'Sweat, dust, blood and now grass! Am I cursed to forever dirty my clothes, am I?! What next, slime?! I've had enough!'

He got up and stomped around in dissatisfaction, just to stop like a deer caught in headlights as he felt a gaze. He turned to see a few funnily dressed people that were talking among themselves while pointing at him. The dark grey and dusty brown stained robes they wore had a black crest quite similar to some of the corpses he saw in the Realm Breach. They were roughly fifty meters away, emerging from a copse of trees, and gradually decreasing the distance.

Too tired to think straight, Remus called them out while waving his hands high at them, "OH! HEYYY! NICE TO FINALLY SEE SOMEONE ALIVE!".

Impatient, instead of staying put, Remus slowly trod the clearing that he had found himself in towards them. At last, they met.

Growl~

Normally Remus considered begging beyond him, but he was desperate, "Uh, so do you happen to have any food and water to grace me with?"

***

Remus was now in shackles. Yes, shocking.

...

Spoiler

AI generated image of the creature mentioned in this chapter

[collapse]
0