Chapter 5: Rude Awakenings can be Painful
73 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"No."

Jaegar looked back at the black-haired woman.

"W-why not?"

The woman with black hair stood up straight and raised her clasped hands near her chest. The other two also stood up straight and looked at Jaegar intently.

"It's got nothing to do with my mission. And a foraging request is easy enough for you guys. Just don't get lost again."

Jaegar waved his hand as he closed his eyes.

"But, as you said, there might be monsters—"

"Ok, fine…! Just get started with that breakfast already."

Jaegar scratched his hair forcefully.

"Really? Then, please wait for a while. We'll get this ready in a bit!"

The black-haired woman smiled brightly at Jaegar and then quickly turned around to get the ingredients ready. The other two followed suit and prepared the tools they needed for cooking.

After a while, the trio got a fire started and then placed a small cooking pot on top of it with the components of a simple soup already inside.

The whole group ate the soup once it was finished. After eating, the group prepared to depart and head back into the middle of the forest.

---

The party, now with Jaegar walking behind everyone, was looking around the forest for the requested herbs. Jaegar had both of his hands behind his back and sometimes yawned loudly.

They then reached a small clearing with short bushes surrounding the area. The two women crouched down on the ground to inspect the leaves and shrubs. The other guy and Jaegar stood behind them to keep watch.

Suddenly, the short bushes around them made short, rustling sounds. The two women stiffened up and stopped their search. Meanwhile, Jaegar lowered his hands and surveyed the surroundings in front of them. Then, it became disturbingly quiet. Everyone kept looking around them using only their eyes. After a while, Jaegar turned around to look at the two crouched women.

"Whatever that was, I might have already fled—"

While Jaegar turned his back on the short bushes, shadowy figures jumped out of them. Jaegar quickly turned around again to look at what those were. In front of them, there were three minor goblins smirking.

The minor goblins were short, green-skinned goblins, about half the height of a normal human. They carried small, bone-shaped clubs. They also wore fur-like cloths to cover their crotch area.

"Goblins? What are they doing this near to a city?"

Jaegar raised his eyebrow as he stared at the three minor goblins in front of them.

"Mister Knight… We'll cast our magic to attack them."

The woman with black hair then nodded at the other woman.

Then, the two women stood up and faced toward the minor goblins. They then held out their open palms toward their ambushers. A red aura started to surround the black-haired woman's body, while there was a blue-colored aura around the red-haired woman. They then started to murmur incomprehensible words.

"Well, it doesn't matter why they are here. I just have to get rid of them."

Suddenly, Jaegar casually ran toward the three minor goblins.

"M-mister Knight! You have to protect us while—"

As the red-haired woman called out to Jaegar, another two minor goblins jumped out from behind the two women and the guy with a bow. The two goblins smacked the unsuspecting trio with their bone clubs. The aura surrounding the two women disappeared as they fell to the ground face first. The guy also fell to the ground.

"Huh?"

Jaegar heard the sound of their fall. He stopped and looked back. He saw that the two minor goblins behind him were readying their clubs to strike the heads of the two women.

Jaegar paused for a moment and clicked his tongue. During the time Jaegar stopped and turned around, the three minor goblins quickly jumped to attack Jaegar. Then, he disappeared. The three goblins' attack hit only air as they swung their bone clubs.

Simultaneously, the two minor goblins who were about to attack the defenseless mages abruptly flew toward a large tree. The goblins got buried within the trunk of the tree.

Jaegar then appeared in front the trio who were lying down on the ground. He looked down at the two mages.

"Are mages really this weak? And what did this guy with a bow even do?"

Jaegar shook his head while his hands were on his waist.

While he still had his back turned, the three minor goblins rushed to attack Jaegar a second time. They jumped and swung their clubs backward. Then, as they were in the air, Jaegar disappeared. One by one, the three minor goblins flew toward different directions, each hitting a tree and getting buried in it.

After Jaegar landed, he dragged the unconscious bodies of his temporary party toward a tree nearby. He placed them all in a sitting position, leaning them back on the trunk of the tree.

---

"W-what happened…?"

The black-haired woman slowly opened her eyes and then looked around. She then quickly grabbed the back of her head and rubbed it.

"You awake?"

Jaegar was crouching in front of the three.

"Mister Knight…"

The red-haired woman also regained her consciousness and rubbed her eyes with her hands.

"While you were sleeping soundly, I already looked around for the herbs you were searching for. Here."

Jaegar dropped a heap of herbs and leaves on the ground.

"You guys go back to the city. I'll be going, then."

Jaegar then stood up and turned around to walk away from the party of three.

"Wait…!"

The woman with black hair shouted while glaring at Jaegar.

"What is it this time—"

"What was that about?! You were supposed to protect us while we were casting our spells! Even that is taught to us in the Mage Academy! The Knights should act as our shield during times like that!"

The black-haired woman slammed the ground with her closed fist. Jaegar stood still without turning around to look at her.

"If that is how it's supposed to be, then I really don't need a party in order for me to do my mission. Especially ones where I have to protect them instead of getting rid of the enemies in front of me."

Jaegar then finally walked away from them.

"W-what kind of knight is that…?"

The black-haired woman released all the tension in her body and slumped on the tree.

---

Jaegar went on his way toward the town of Yuberden. It took him more than half a day of walking from the forest where he left the three beginner adventurers to reach the town.

"I wonder how many monsters I can get rid of here."

He thought to himself after setting foot inside the town and looked around while turning his head in every direction. He then went straight to the tavern to check any job requests regarding monsters. He was not disappointed.

"Hey there, young knight. What are you doing in a place like this? Not many knights like you visit this town."

The old barkeep, while wiping a glass with cloth, asked Jaegar with a hint of curiosity in his tone.

"We were given the mission of eradicating the monsters. I just thought I can do that here."

Jaegar answered without looking at the barkeep and just continued to read the posts for requests.

"Now that's funny. Eradicate the monsters, you say? Isn't that a bit too late now?"

"What do you mean?"

He finally looked at the barkeep.

"You capital folks really don't know what's happening outside your haven, do you? We've been suffering from all the monster attacks for years now!"

The barkeep loudly placed the glass he was holding on top of the bar counter.

"Well, you do live near the mountains. Most monsters live out there—"

"What are you knights and the other organizations even do, then? Instead of eliminating them, those damn monsters have increased in numbers! Do your job and protect the people!"

The barkeep turned around and stepped away. Jaegar couldn't respond. He quietly left after grabbing a request poster that got his interest.

---

Jaegar walked around town, reading the poster in his hand.

"I guess killing monsters is equal to protecting the people, huh…. I should just kill a lot of monsters then. I'd be doing my mission, and the people wouldn't have anything to complain about anymore. And this is the perfect way to start."

Jaegar slapped the poster with the back of his hand. He then walked towards the inn and rented a room. He left his small bag inside the room.

While still grasping the request poster in his hand, he then went to the town restaurant. It was a pretty spacious one floor building. Considering the size of the town, the restaurant could easily be mistaken for the mayor's office. He entered inside and asked a male waiter that was serving the table nearest the entrance.

"Hey, can I talk to the manager of this restaurant? It's about the request posted in the tavern."

"Go straight to the counter."

The waiter didn't bother looking at Jaegar.

"I see. Thanks, Mr. Personality."

Jaegar smirked at the waiter.

"I heard that."

The waiter responded to him before leaving the table.

"I wasn't whispering, don't worry!"

Jaegar increased the volume of his voice. He then walked towards the counter without looking back at the waiter. Once he was at the counter, he saw a pretty, young lady with blonde hair in long pigtails arranging some dishes.

"Hey there. I'd like to ask where's the manager? I want to talk about the request he posted at the tavern."

"You're looking at her."

The young lady didn't look at Jaegar and just continued arranging the dishes.

1