Chapter 41: Dreams are Innermost Desires
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I… I don't know…"

Brittanya's whole body started to shiver as her knees lost strength and she dropped to the ground. She tightly grabbed her arms and covered herself while mumbling to herself in a low voice.

Jaegar and the others watched Brittanya as her thoughts seemed to drift off somewhere.

---

In the southern part of Chrona, the magical city of Quatropell was located. It identified itself as a magical city since the Job Class Organization, Mage Academy, was headquartered there.

The academy itself was encircled by high stone walls as it stood in the center of the city. Outside of the walls of the academy, the houses and other establishments surrounded the area outward.

As the Mage Academy was the prominent and ruling body in the city, the citizens dreamt of entering the academy even from a young age. The mystery of an institute hidden behind the walls and the prestige it brought to people who would be a part of the academy enticed everyone.

Since there was no established method to determine one's magical capabilities and aptitude at birth, the Mage Academy set unique rules on how members would be accepted to their Job Class Organization compared to other organizations.

Everyone was allowed to apply and join, but it would only be during their childhood. It was so that the academy could perform the necessary tests and ascertain the magical aptitude of a person early. Not everyone had the capability to use magic, and this led to the entitlement of the academy's members to have an elite status in the city.

About a hundred or so children would have one year inside the academy to show their capacity to learn magic. They would be taught all the basics during that time. After that one year, if the child had not been able to showcase any magical capabilities, then that child would be kicked out of the academy. They would never be able to join the Mage Academy, as it would have already been determined that they could not use magic, and never would be able to do so in the future.

The children who were able to remain inside the academy would undergo a few more years of training. Once they were able to complete their training, then they would be full-fledged members of the Mage Academy.

---

A decade ago, a young girl dreamt of entering the Mage Academy. It was the only thing in her mind. The admission for the children had just started for that year.

"Mom! Hurry up! The admission ceremony is about to start!"

A young Brittanya hurriedly ran out of their house and waved back at her mother, who was still inside the house.

"Yes, I know. But don't run on your own! We don't want you getting lost on your first day."

Brittanya's mother, who had dark blue hair that was tied in a bun, closed the door behind her as she exited their house.

"But they're going to start without me! Let's go!"

Brittanya was jogging in place with her face frowned at her mother.

"Okay, okay. I know you're excited to finally start your journey on being a mage. But the academy won’t be going anywhere."

Her mother laughed as she took Brittanya's hand. The two of them then walked toward the center of the city, the Mage Academy.

---

There were a lot of children with their parents in front of the large gates of the walls. Once they arrived at the gate of the Mage Academy, her mother and Brittanya faced each other. Her mother knelt on the ground to look at Brittanya directly.

"Okay, Brittanya. This is it. I know you've been dreaming to be a mage ever since you were little. You've always sneaked out to watch the Parade of Mages even though I told you not to go out. I also remember that you tried to get inside the academy by hiding in a delivery cart."

Her mother was straightening Brittanya's clothes with a smile.

"But this time, you really are going inside there. All I want you to remember is that just do your best. But whatever the outcome is after one year, you should always be proud that you chased your dream. You got that?"

Her mother looked directly into Brittanya's eyes.

"Okay, Mom… Well, I'll do my best!"

Brittanya smiled and then ran toward the gate as she waved goodbye to her mother.

---

The first few months inside the academy were solely dedicated to teaching the children all about magic. All lessons were theoretical at first, so as to drill the basics into every one of them. The Mage Academy regularly conducted written tests about those lessons.

Brittanya was mostly always placed on top of the rankings for the written tests. When the latest scores were announced and posted on the walls of the academy, most of the children gathered in front of it.

"Wow. You're first place again, Brittanya. You're so smart."

A girl with braided blonde hair was looking up at the scores. She was standing beside Brittanya.

"Well, I need to study hard to be the greatest mage in Chrona!"

Brittanya was beaming as she stared at her name and score on the wall.

"Don't feed her delusions even further, Yannika."

A boy with short brown hair approached Brittanya and Yannika.

"Hey, don't feel bad that you're in hundredth place. You can always study harder next time, Frix."

Brittanya smiled at the boy.

"I don't feel b-bad! I'm just saying not everything is about written tests! We'll settle this once they have us use magic!"

Frix pointed at Brittanya and glared at her for a while. He then stomped his feet as he walked away from the girls.

"Don't worry about him, Brittanya. I'm sure you'll also do great once we start using magic."

Yannika smiled at Brittanya.

---

Near the end of the one-year period of aptitude screening, the Mage Academy started to conduct tests on the type of magic the children possessed.

For those who could use Elemental Magic, they would be successfully accepted into the Mage Academy. For those that couldn't use Elemental Magic but instead adept in Support Magic, they would be sent to the Holy Clergy instead. And for those who couldn't use either type of magic, there would be no future for them in both organizations.

The Mage Academy would conduct the affinity tests for each magical element for one whole day. They would gather all the children in the wide-open outdoor space inside the academy. For the first day, it was dedicated to determine if anyone of the children could use Support Magic.

They were all taught an incantation that allowed them to cast healing magic if they were capable of it. There were a few children who were able to do it, and thus they were scheduled to be transferred to the Holy Clergy. Brittanya and Yannika were not included in this.

The next day, they tested for fire magic affinity. Again, they were all taught an incantation. There were a lot of the children who were able to use fire magic, as a red aura enveloped them. Brittanya and Yannika were not again included.

The following day, it was water magic. There were also a number of children who were able to do water magic. This time, Yannika was able to do it.

"Wow, you can use Water Magic, Yannika! It's so cool!"

Brittanya's eyes were glittering as she looked at Yannika.

"Thanks, Brittanya. I'm sure you'll be able to find out what magic you'll be able to use soon."

Yannika smiled at Brittanya.

---

The next element to be tested was wind. There weren't as much children who could do it compared to fire and water magic. Then, earth magic was tested the following day. Frix was able to use earth magic. He then approached Brittanya.

"Ha! I'm able to use earth magic! What about you, Ms. Greatest Mage? You better know your element soon or you won't be the 'greatest mage', or 'greatest at anything' at all!"

Frix laughed out loud as he walked away from Brittanya. She could only clench her fist as she forced a smile on her face.

There were only a few elements left to test. Arcane magic was also included in the tested magic, just so that the academy could make sure they turned every stone in searching for mages. There were about thirty children who were unable to use any type of magic, including Brittanya.

A male member of the Mage Academy, who wore a cloak and a mage hat, then stood in front of the remaining children who were unable to show any aptitude for magic.

"Well, it was unfortunate that a lot of you do not possess the ability to use magic. You may all go home now."

The man turned around to walk away from the dejected children.

"Wait…! Maybe there is some other type of magic we haven't tested yet…?"

Brittanya called out to the man. He stopped walking.

"No. That was all of it. Just accept it. You're not destined to be a mage."

He turned his head and glared at Brittanya.

"But… But I… I got high scores in the exams… I… I want to be the greatest mage… More than anyone else…"

Tears welled-up in her eyes.

The man stayed silent and just walked away.

1