Ch3 Reunion, P2
1.8k 0 66
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3: Reunion (2)

~3.2~

*****

After their trip to town the group went to the palace to see the weapons that had been prepared. As expected, many possibilities were prepared.

“Edward, Astraia, thank you very much for meeting us today,” Layla said.

“I would never pass up on a chance to dote on my great granddaughter and her friends!” Edward said. He glanced at Astraia, who nodded at him to continue. He turned his attention to a nearby table that had many swords laid out upon it.

“We have had many mana steel weapons prepared,” Edward said as he showcased one of them in front of Layla and the girls. “We have regular manasteel weapons like those that Layla, James, Allison, and many others use, but considering that white mana is so potent that it breaks lesser weapons we have gone through the additional effort of fabricating a weapon uniquely adapted to each affinity in hopes that each one will be able to withstand prolonged usage in the event the regular manasteel weapons aren’t sufficient. Would either of our resident white mana users like to volunteer to test the first weapon?”

Kye stepped forward, but Alethea beat her to the punch. “I volunteer.” Kye stepped back without a word, more curious about Alethea’s power than the weapons. Edward selected a weapon and presented it to Alethea.

“This one is a regular manasteel weapon. Please test it however you like,” Edward said.

Alethea nodded and drew the blade from its sheath. Astraia waved a hand coated in gold mana and generated a barrier around the room to allow Alethea to test the weapon without damaging the palace. She released her white mana, and the manasteel blade held up, so Alethea began to cast a spell. Before the spell could be completed, however, the blade shattered. “Oh...”

“Well, I can’t say I didn’t expect that,” Astraia said.

“Indeed. Moving on,” Edward said as he chose another. “This one is adapted specifically to fire. To properly test it, channel your white mana and cast a simple fire spell from the blade.”

Alethea drew the weapon, channeled white mana into it, and gave it a few swings that launched waves of fire across the room. Astraia, Edward, and Layla then examined the weapon and confirmed that it was not damaged.

“So, this is sufficient for a short burst,” Edward said. “Kye, would you mind testing the longevity?”

Kye nodded and Alethea handed the sword to her. She began channeling mana into the sword. As she did, white fire burst forth from it. She channeled mana for a full minute, but she wasn’t satisfied. “It’s doing fine as it is now, but if these weapons are meant to serve us long term, then they must be capable of withstanding greater levels of mana. Is it fine if I push as much mana through it as possible?”

“Please do,” Edward said. “We must know the limits of these weapons.”

Kye nodded and began channeling mana. A white cloak of fiery mana engulfed both her and the weapon as the intensity rose dramatically. Everyone was surprised by the rapid increase of mana Kye was channeling. It was powerful enough that everyone cloaked themselves in mana to protect themselves from the pressure.

“A seven-year-old is capable of this much?” Edward struggled to speak. “Extraordinary.”

“Indeed,” Astraia said. “Her power is incredible, and it will only expand as she grows. We are truly blessed to have such amazing children born in our time.”

Seeing Kye’s display, Alethea also unleashed a powerful burst of mana and began channeling into the sword in tandem. Even under the pressure of both white mana users, the sword did not falter. The two grinned at each other as they dispersed their mana.

“I think this’ll do, but I’d like to conduct one more test if I may,” Kye said.

“What do you have in mind?”

“I’d like to test the weapon with a powerful spell. I’ll need a wide-open space that has no risk of collateral damage."

Edward and Astraia exchanged glances, both wondering, Just what does this seven-year-old plan to cast?

Layla smirked, knowing exactly what her daughter planned to do. “I suggest we move to the Far Lands. The spell she has in mind is very destructive.”

“...well, okay,” Edward said. He turned around and drew a circle in the air out of mana. When the circle was completed, a portal opened. “I chose the most isolated area of the Far Lands.” He led the way through and soon the group found themselves in an open rocky landscape.

“I sense no living creatures nearby, so this should do,” Layla said. “Kye, go ahead.”

Kye nodded to her mother and floated up into the sky. “<<Convert: Spear>>.” The sword transformed into a spear, and she began channeling mana into it as she ascended. She soon appeared as a bright white star in the sky.

“What is she casting?” Edward asked.

“I don’t recognize it either,” Astraia said. “Layla?”

“I have no idea,” Layla replied. “I was expecting something different. I don’t know if this will be less or more destructive.”

“Just what did you expect her to cast?”

“Uh... well...”

Before Layla could explain, Kye threw the spear. Now coated brilliantly in white fire, the spear appeared as a shooting star. Upon impact, a deafening explosion shook the landscape. The blast was so powerful that it sent out a shockwave that reached the group almost instantly. Astraia raised a barrier for everyone on the ground, and Kye protected herself with her own barrier. Astraia’s barrier of light mana cracked.

“Huh?”

Alethea acted quickly and added a layer of white aether behind it. Once the dust settled, Kye returned to the ground and said, “I think this will do.” She held up her hand and caught the spear as it returned to her.

“I’d certainly say so,” Edward said. “Kye, what spell was that?”

Kye smirked and waved her hand in the air, pulling up the system menu. “This one.” She turned the screen so that the others could see it.

Layla read it aloud, “Tenshin Hihoko. Elemental Affinity: Fire, Alignment Affinity: Any, Classification: Ultimate, Added to Archive: 11991AE-12-15, Added by user: Anonymous.”

“A new spell...” Edward mumbled.

“I was testing my mana with each element and ended up with that a few weeks ago,” Kye explained. “The weapon I used was destroyed by the blast, so I’m quite happy that this one survived.”

“What have I done to deserve such a talented great-granddaughter?” Edward dropped the noble façade. “You are a wonderful child. You must come live in Alcanus!”

Kye curtsied and said, “Thank you for the invitation, but my father must be consulted before any decisions of such nature can be made.”

“I think he’ll be okay with it, but only temporarily rather than a permanent move,” Layla said. “She is the heir to the throne, after all. The future Queen of Nippon Sekai cannot leave her home altogether.”

“Indeed,” Kye said as her eyes lit up with an idea. “If I could stay here in Arslade during academy terms, that would open up many possibilities. I cannot attend the academy until I turn sixteen, but perhaps...”

“Yes?” Layla asked with narrowed eyes. “What sort of idea are you having?”

Kye grinned at her and asked, “I would like to find some way to attend the academy without being a student. I could teach after school or some such.”

Layla, Edward, and Astraia were all shocked while the other children were excited for the idea.

“Ah, well...” Edward said.

“I don’t think that’s going to work,” Layla said, shaking her head. “We can’t upturn a law that prohibits minors from working when they should be learning. Perhaps an exception could be made, but it would require the unanimous consent of every head of state, and I can guarantee your father will not agree.”

“I will not agree either,” Edward said.

“Atalante would be against it as well,” Astraia said. “And I doubt either Draelana or Apollyon would be thrilled about it.”

“There you have it,” Layla continued. “The King of Alcanus will not allow it and that breaks the unanimous requirement already.”

Kye looked defeated.

“Moving on...” Astraia added. “We should hold a meeting to discuss today’s results at length. Since these weapons can withstand white mana, we can begin planning for weapons that can withstand divine white mana. I expect that hurdle to be much harder to overcome.”

They were done there, but Kye was not ready to go. As the others started walking, she remained where she was, her eyes squarely on Alethea.

“Princess?” Liliana called out. She was the first to notice, then everyone stopped.

“Kye?” Layla said. “Come along.”

“No.”

Layla was so taken aback by Kye’s refusal that she just stood there speechless.

“Princess, what’s wrong?”

Kye ignored her attendant and looked at Astraia. “Before we leave,” she turned back to Alethea, “I request an impromptu tea party.”

“Oh my,” Astraia said. She shook her head. “I’m afraid I can’t approve that without Atalante’s consent.”

“Then I will go to Atlantis.” She started walking, going past the group.

“Kye, what has gotten in to you?” Layla asked, genuinely unsure what to do.

Kye stopped and looked at her mother. “I need answers. I need them now.” The look in her eye told Layla that she was not willing to budge.

“You can’t just-”

“No,” came not Kye’s voice, but Alethea’s. “It’s fine. We can have that tea party right now.”

“Alethea!” Astraia cried. “You-”

“I want answers, too.”

*****

Revision: 12-18-2023

66