Ch4 The Royal Academy, P2
1.5k 6 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4: The Royal Academy (2)

~4.2~

*****

After arriving at the academy, the entire student body gathered in the auditorium. With several hundred students per year, the auditorium was large enough to accommodate ten thousand people at once. Kye sat in the middle-left section near an aisle. Liliana sat in the aisle seat, Kye next to her, Alethea on her other side, and Aliana next to Alethea. The five students from Drachenheim were in the row in front of them. Kye glanced around and noticed a few other students in their year sitting near them. One was a girl from Alcanus who looked somewhat like Kye with the same shade of blonde hair and same length, but with golden eyes, rather than silver. Another was a Japanese girl with chest length black hair and dark brown eyes. Next to the two girls sat a Russian boy with short black hair and red eyes.

Alaira’s group! I hope we’ll be in the same class.

“Welcome to the Alcanus Royal Academy,” Allison said. All chatter immediately stopped as her voice boomed across the auditorium. “Most of you know of me, but a proper introduction is in order for our first years. I am Allison Barrett of Alcanus, daughter of Prince Charles Barrett and Lady Hannah Marshall, and granddaughter of King Edward Barrett and Lord James Marshall. I have an affinity for all traditional types of mana.”

“If nothing else, I must stress that no person present in this academy may cause intentional harm to another. We have had a single death in the history of this academy. I personally ended that altercation. If the academy’s system detects an unusual amount of mana outside of an appropriate location for such, I or another staff member of my caliber will teleport to the scene, and it ends there. Our priority is a safe learning environment; however, we understand that students will have disagreements at times. In such situations, you may conduct a duel in the training grounds or the arena to settle the dispute. First years will be instructed on duels in their first combat class. To any who would choose to challenge this warning...” She released her aether and allowed it to fill the entire auditorium. “Please be capable of at least this much before making such a mistake.”

She paused for a moment to allow the message to sink in before dispersing her aether and moving on. “The opening ceremony will now begin. First and foremost, I shall introduce the leaders of our empire.” Behind her sat the five heads of state with their guards standing behind them. “Daemonheim officially joined our academy a few short years ago. Travel to and from Daemonheim has not been possible for long, however they have proven to be a kind and welcoming people to the rest of us and more than deserve a seat among the council. Before us sits the Demon King of Daemonheim, Lord Apollyon Voulzograd. He has reigned in Daemonheim since before the Atlantis Era.” She initiated a round of applause as the handsome dark-haired, red-eyed Apollyon stood up and gave the crowd a smile and a wave.

“Next to Lord Apollyon is the Light King of Nippon Sekai, Lord Zen Akari I!” Kye’s father stood and gave the same gesture as Apollyon as the crowd clapped. “Lord Zen is the grandson of two legendary women among the founders, Lady Hatsumi Akari and Lady Ginchiyo Tachibana!”

“Next to Lord Zen is the Dragon Queen of Drachenheim, Lady Draelana!” Doran’s mother stood and repeated the gesture with the crowd’s applause. “Lady Draelana is the granddaughter and great-granddaughter of two founders, Lord Drayon Maya and Lord Drakon Maya, respectively.”

“Next to Lady Draelana is the Mage King of Alcanus, Lord Edward Barrett!” Edward stood up and repeated the same gesture. “Additionally, Lord Edward has reigned since the beginning of the Atlantis Era! He is one of the founders who were taken in by Atlantis during a dark and primitive time of Terra’s ancient history.”

“Oh, woe is me, my own granddaughter is calling me ancient!” Edward said, feigning being insulted. The crowd exploded in laughter upon seeing Edward’s grin and laughed even harder when James added from the staff section, “You’re ten million years old, old man!”

“As you can see, the Mage King has no need of a jester having filled the role with himself and my brother,” Allison said with an exasperated expression toward her grandfather and brother. “Continuing to our final head of state, next to Lord Edward is the Empress of Atlantis, Lady Atalante Atlantis! Escorting her are the Imperial Princesses, Lady Astarte Atlantis and Lady Astraia Atlantis. Lady Atalante has reigned since the Cataclysm, an extinction level event that would have ended the human race if not for the valiant sacrifice of the previous Emperor, Lord Athanasios Atlantis.”

Atalante stood and approached the podium. She held up a hand to silence the applause. “Greetings, students. When Lady Allison was introducing herself, I do hope you noticed how she worded her mana affinities. Traditional mana types include fire, water, lightning, earth, wind, ice, light, neutral, and dark. All types of magic and all subtypes of mana use one or more of these attributes. However, during the birth year of this year’s first year students, two individuals were born with a new type of mana. One of these individuals wishes to remain anonymous for now and we will respect their wishes. The other individual has chosen to appear before everyone to deliver the first year’s address to the opening ceremony.”

“Are you sure about this?” Kye whispered.

Alethea nodded. “Yes.”

“After discovering how special the child is, I adopted her in hopes to provide everything she needs to grow. Alethea, please come forth.”

Alethea stood up and teleported to the stage. “Greetings. I am Alethea Atlantis of Terra, adopted daughter of Empress Atalante Atlantis.”

“Go ahead and demonstrate it.”

Alethea nodded at Atalante. Suddenly, white mana surged from her body and in such a quantity that many in the audience were unable to move in her presence.

“This mysterious white mana is quite potent and greater than any other. Many of you understandably may find it difficult to be in the general vicinity of this mana. Alethea.” Atalante gestured at the crowd as she returned to her seat with the other rulers.

Alethea took a deep breath and stepped forward. As she stepped to the podium, she suppressed her mana so that none in the crowd felt the pressure. “May this year bring much to all.” She curtsied for the crowd. Despite her soft voice, her magic delivered her words to every ear in the building. “I had considered following the same path as my fellow white mana user. I might have entered the academy quietly and attended classes as if nothing were different, but in truth there is a difference. Though I was adopted into royalty, I was born a commoner.” She paused for a moment and looked down at her white mana covered hands. “I consider myself quite fortunate to have been born with this power. With it, I was adopted by Lady Atalante. I have grown under the tutelage of my adoptive mother and aunts, and I love them very much.”

I suppose it would be a bad idea to mention how she was discovered. Her birth parents were very poor, so she was bound for an orphanage right from the start. She was born in the orphanage that would have been her childhood home. Soon after birth, just like me... she was kidnapped. Just thinking about it pisses me off.

Her birth mother passed in childbirth, and as the nurse was handing her to her birth father, the kidnapper appeared out of thin air and snatched her, not unlike how the guy snatched the pot I was in. I still don’t know how they put me in that pot.

That orphanage was in London. It was mere happenstance that two of the founders were visiting London at the time with Atalante. Atalante, James Marshall, and Alexandra Romanov were at a nearby restaurant and sensed the kidnapper’s mana spike as he retreated. The crime detection magic triggered and Atalante knew right away something was happening. They chased the kidnapper down and rescued her. It was when Atalante retrieved her that they discovered her white mana. Atalante returned me to her father and gave them a royal summons. Atalante asked that she be allowed to adopt her. Thus, she became the adopted daughter of the empress.

Alethea turned around and curtsied for Atalante. “Thank you, mother, for the life you’ve given me. I will do my best here at the academy and lead my fellow students to success!” The crowd roared with applause. Cheers and whistles could be heard from every section of the crowd.

I worry that without the adoption, she would have had a hard time with being born a boy. Alethea, my love, my heart sank when you told me you’re transgender. Thank you, Atalante, for taking in my love and caring for her.

Alethea gestured for the crowd to quieten down and continued. “I have three wishes I seek to make true in my time here at the academy. The first is to bring honor to Atlantis. I owe my adopted family everything. I will thank them by doing well here and proving I am worthy of their kindness. The second is to use my gifts to advance the world. Anyone here who asks for help shall receive it. If you struggle with the blade, you may come to me for guidance. If you struggle with mana control, you may come to me for guidance. If you struggle with math, you may come to me for guidance. I do not limit my guidance to just those in my year. No, I don’t believe in raising up one group while neglecting another. This world is already wonderful. It is not easy to improve something that is already so great, but we can if we step together. My third wish is...” she paused and smiled at the crowd, “a secret!”

A disappointed gasp came from most of the crowd.

“A girl needs her secrets, you know!” She curtsied and teleported. Despite the gasps, the crowd quickly erupted into cheers and applause again.

With Alethea gone, Allison stepped forward again. “Thank you, Alethea. May your wishes be fulfilled.”

The opening ceremony continued with everyone in high spirits. After the ceremony, the first years were led to their dormitory so that they could settle in.

*****

Revision: 7-13-2023

51