Ch5 The Goddess of Light, P1
1.1k 0 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5: The Goddess of Light (1)

~5.1~

*****

Soon, the first week was over and the students were enjoying their weekend. Most of them.

In a lab room by herself, a lone blonde student was busy channeling mana into a manasteel ingot on the table in front of her. She was focusing intently. Sparks jumped from both her body and the ingot as she channeled. Soon, she stopped and examined her handywork. Several piles of metallic dust surrounded her work area, the result of hours of failed attempts.

The method requires the enchanter to enchant the manasteel ingot they want to use. I have done that enough that it’s second nature. But the next part... She looked at the piles of dust to her left, her more recent failures. Controlling divine mana is so much harder. She released lightning aether and began channeling it into the ingot. Too little and it won’t enchant. Too much and I get a pile of dust. The line is very fine, and I have to maintain an even flow of that precise amount for a long time to successfully over-enchant.

A few minutes later, she sat back in the chair behind her feeling worn out. Her latest attempt resulted in another pile of dust. She let out a defeated sigh as she looked at her failure.

“Maybe I should ask for advice after all.” The girl began typing on her NeuraPhone. In the top left corner was her name, Louise Chevalier. She pulled up Kye’s public profile. She selected the option to send an invitation. At the top of the next screen was a disclaimer. “All invitations will be read by my attendant, Liliana Venturi.”

*****

The dinner my mother invited us to was canceled. They had an emergency meeting after school in Atlantis. It seems the demon beasts are unusually restless. They’ve had busy days all week. It’s probably good that the only eventful day for me was the first day... gives them less to worry about.

In the training grounds was another blonde student, Isabel Strauss. She was training alone with a polearm, practicing her technique. Occasionally she would release a burst of wind magic from her swings. There were some students spread out around the training grounds practicing, some alone, some in pairs, some just watching. Isabel wanted no training partners but had a few observers. Among the observers were Layla and Allison.

Soon, Kye and her group entered the training grounds. Kye and Alethea were together, as usual, and they wanted to have a quick spar before lunch. While looking around to find a spot open enough for them, they noticed Layla and Allison.

“Hello, mother,” Kye said. “Allison.” Allison waved briefly and turned her attention back to Isabel.

“Oh, what are you two doing?” Layla asked.

“Just coming to get some sparring time in.” Kye followed Allison’s line of sight and saw her classmate. “Isabel, huh? I haven’t seen much of her yet. Maybe I’ll sit and watch instead. Alethea?”

“Sure, that’s fine with me.”

Isabel was engrossed in her training but soon noticed her high-class observers and stopped in her tracks. It was such a surprise that she didn’t know what to do. Alethea took it upon herself to break her from the shock and vanished. She appeared next to Isabel with her weapon already transformed into an iaitō and slashed at her. Isabel snapped out of it and managed to block the attack.

“Lady Alethea?” she said. “I-I-”

“Do you really have time to exchange words while we fight?” Alethea didn’t relent, forcing Isabel to defend herself.

“B-but, over there-”

“They’re just simple observers! Focus on what’s right in front of you!”

As Alethea pressured Isabel into sparring properly, Layla said to Kye, “She acted quite quickly.”

“Mhm,” Kye said. “She did say she would help anyone who needed it. Though, I’m a bit surprised Isabel froze like that. I don’t know her personally, but she’s an archnoble isn’t she?”

“Yes.”

Isabel had a smile on her face now as she sparred with Alethea. Kye smiled as well, happy that Alethea was giving their classmate a good time. “I’m still a bit surprised, though. Is it because two instructors are watching her?”

“Oh, no, we’ve been here for a while. Since we were here before she arrived, she asked us to observe and give her advice. She froze because of you and Alethea.”

“Us? But, why?”

“You can’t tell?” Layla smirked at her daughter, and Kye gave it some thought. She had never had a private conversation with Isabel before and only briefly in class. “Still don’t know?” Kye shrugged. “Isabel looks up to you and Alethea, even Liliana and Aliana. Your scores were so high, after all.

“She has motivation,” Allison said. “You should train with her.”

“Well, why not?” Kye said as she transformed her weapon into an iaitō. Before she could join the match, Liliana stopped her.

“Princess, you have received an invitation for lunch from Louise Chevalier.

“Oh?”

“She wishes to treat you and anyone joining you to lunch at the food court. She wants to discuss your enchanting method.”

“I see. See if you can approve it for today’s lunch, I have an idea.”

“Yes, Princess.” Liliana set to work while Kye joined the match.

Kye’s first attack was fast, but not too fast for Isabel. At the same time, Alethea flanked. Isabel used her polearm to block both of their attacks. She caught Kye’s attack with her blade and Alethea’s attack with the smaller blade on the opposite end. Isabel’s polearm had a large blade on one end with a gap at the tip to trap other weapons in. The small blade on the other had the same type of gap. Isabel smiled at having both of them sparing with her. They continued for about fifteen minutes before Kye called it quits.

“Liliana, what’s the verdict?”

“She will meet us at the food court at the top of the hour.”

“Sounds good.” Kye turned back toward Alethea and Isabel, who were still sparring, and yelled, “Hey, Isabel!”

They stopped and Isabel replied, “Yes, Lady Kye?”

“We’re both, students, no need to use titles.”

“Oh, right. My apologies. What is it?”

“We’re going to meet someone at 13:00 for lunch! Do you want to come?”

Isabel and Alethea ran over so they wouldn’t have to yell to hear each other. “Are you sure? I wouldn’t want to impose.”

“Oh, it’s fine. Besides, I’m sure you’ve worked up an appetite. You’ve been here a while, right?”

“Ah, well...” Isabel’s stomach growled as if on cue. “Oh my...”

“That settles it!”

Isabel sniffed herself and reeled back. “I think I need to take a quick shower.”

“Oh, uh...” Kye had worked up a sweat, too, and just noticed after Isabel checked herself. “So... I don’t think we have time to go back to the dorm for showers and still make it in time, but...” She glanced at Alethea.

“Oh, I know that look. Isabel, hold your breath and close your eyes for a moment.”

“Huh?” Isabel said. “Okay.”

Kye used magic to create a large glob of water and immersed the three of them. Using her fine control, she quickly cleaned the three of them then dispersed the magically generated water back into nothing.

“Okay, all done!” Kye said. Layla and Allison were eyeing Kye with curious expressions.

Isabel examined herself and found she was quite refreshed. “Wow, and my clothes are clean, too! I didn’t know you could do that with magic!”

Kye grinned with her fingers in a V-shape.

“We didn’t either,” Layla said with stars in her eyes. “My inventer-daughter has once again surprised us!”

“You...” Allison said. “Words...” The principal began to think of how to perform the spell Kye just demonstrated. “Kye, I’m going to add that spell to the archive. What do you want to name it?”

“Wow, that’s a new spell?” Isabel was astonished. “I’ve heard you’ve invented spells, but I never thought I’d get to see it happen.”

“I dunno... I’ve never thought about naming utility stuff,” Kye said. “I guess... hmm... Isabel, you’re from the territory in Terra’s main continent that speaks Deutsch, right?”

Terra is quite different from the average Earth I’ve experienced, but it has the same languages and similar territories.

“Yes.”

“Then I’ll use that language for the spell. Which one do you think describes cleaning or washing the best?”

“Hmm... probably either säubern, waschen, or reinigen.”

“Right, but which one do you think fits best? I want your opinion since you are present for a new spell!”

“I... well okay. I think waschen makes the most sense.”

Kye turned toward Allison and gave her a nod. Allison replied, “Very well, I’ll record the spell with that name.”

“Kye, Kye, can I name the next one you create?” Layla said with a slight bounce. “I’ve been thinking up a bunch of names!”

Kye gave her an apologetic smile, “I see. I just kinda do magic for what I need, so...”

“Layla,” Allison said with an exasperated sigh.

“Right, sorry, you kids go have fun!”

Before they left, Isabel curtsied, “Instructor Layla, Instructor Allison, thank you for observing.”

“Yes,” Allison said. “I’ll send you an email with my thoughts later.” Isabel nodded and the teenagers left the training grounds.

*****

“Ah, this is excellent,” Phantom said after taking a bit of pork roast. “I never tire of this taste. Amelia, your planet never ceases to satisfy.”

“Thank you, my lord,” she replied. “Planet Icarus strives to produce only the finest products. I’m glad to continue satisfying your tastes.”

After clearing his plate, Phantom began to eye the cake that sat on the tray to his left. Amelia snapped her finger, and a male servant delivered a piece of cake to Phantom. He quickly tasted it and was in bliss.

“How is it, my lord?”

“Equally excellent. I could see myself eating the entire cake and wanting more if only for the flavor.”

“Thank you, my lord.”

“Mother, may I have a piece?” a young boy asked.

“Only after you’ve finished your meal, Sean.” The boy nodded and returned to his meal.

“Elliot, will you be chaperoning the school trip this year?” Phantom asked.

“Yes, my lord,” he answered. “We will be visiting a vassal planet under Drachenheim, Vanitis.”

“Ah, the planet known for its vast and massive forests. The students should enjoy that.”

“Indeed, my lord.”

“Be sure to take care of the students, Elliot.”

“Yes, my lord.”

*****

Revision: 7-13-2023

28