Ch6 The Royal Council, P4
74 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6: The Royal Council (4)

~6.4~

*****

“Are there any other questions about these skills or anything else involving us?”

“I’d like to talk about your reincarnation,” King Zen said. “It was clear to us right from the start that you were special. You were much more active as a newborn than other children, and your white aether manifested when you were kidnapped.”

“Yes, I came into this world conscious right from the start.” She recalled the party and the kidnapping and described them from her perspective. “That pot was hot...” She shook her head. “Do you recall mother telling you I could understand her when she returned to the palace with me after that incident?”

“I do, yes. Beginning training so early and how rapidly you improved is due to the knowledge you’ve obtained over your many past lives? And your spells?”

She nodded.

“I’m honestly not sure how to take this, but I’m convinced it’s true. It explains everything.” The Light King paused for a moment, then stood up and walked over to Kye. She gave him a puzzled look. “I want you to know that this changes nothing between us.”

Kye flashed back to when she told her guardians and covered her mouth to keep from gasping out loud. They had said the same thing to her.

“You may have been many other people over your... existence? But, right now and forever, even if you die here and become someone else... you are and will always be my daughter. But I would prefer you don’t do the latter. You should stay here with us.” He motioned for her to stand up and he pulled her into a warm hug. “I love you, Kye. I love you no differently than I love your brother and sister.” His expression warped from a warm smile to confusion. “Though I think we need to have a longer, private conversation about your relationship.” He glanced at Alethea. “I don’t disapprove, I’ve been supportive since it started ten years ago, but your guardians need to figure some things out, considering that both of you are heirs.”

“I agree,” Atalante said with a nod. Layla nodded as well.

“But for now, we should return to the topic at hand,” Zen said before returning to his seat.

“That was very warming,” Alexandra said. “But yes, we should return to the discussion. Before we called you here, I described you to be an anomaly. Little did I know even that wasn’t sufficient.”

“My apologies.”

“No need to apologize for being special. Now that we know what you are and how you are so phenomenal...” she paused a moment, trying to find the right words. “Are you willing to share your knowledge for the betterment of our world?”

If only they knew.

“Have I not been doing that all along?”

“She has done quite a bit,” Edward interjected.

Aethersteel was too advanced for most. It’s extremely hard to produce due to how difficult aether is to control. Even Allison was just barely able to do it and Astarte hasn’t finished enchanting enough of it to create anything. “Aethersteel is a world-changing concept, but it’s too difficult for all but a select few.”

Several people echoed the sentiment, claiming that Kye’s invention is too outlandish, and some pointed out that her spells do not have incantations.

“What? Just make up an incantation. It doesn’t matter what you say.”

“Excuse me?” said Apollyon. “It doesn’t matter?”

“The incantation is nothing more than an aid to cast the spell.”

“What? Of course, it’s not. The incantation is a necessary-”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, stop right there. You are putting far too much emphasis and reliance on the incantation. Incantations are just an aid. They aren’t actually part of the spell. Even speaking the spell name is the same.”

Jaws dropped all around the table. “Unbelievable!” “That can’t be right.” “Prove it.”

“Observe me.” Kye laid her arms on the table for all to see. “Tell me the indication that I am casting a spell.”

As several of the attendees watched, Kye sat still.

“Well?”

“You haven’t done anything yet.”

Allison pointed up. “Anyone who did not realize what she is doing needs remediation.” Every founder, the Atlantis sisters, and the Barrett siblings realized it. Among the remaining council members, only Kanade Tachibana and Kye’s father realized it. Above them floated a simple ball of water.

“But-”

“Allison, are you able to cast without speaking the name of a spell or making any outward motions, yes? Specifically, using only your mind.”

“I can do that with most of the spells I know using mana, but it’s not so easy with aether. I can insta-cast a lot of spells with visualization and the spell name, but it’s sloppy and honestly dangerous if others are around.”

Kye looked around the large room. “Create a barrier for me, anywhere in the room with open space. Mana is fine, but make it strong.” Allison nodded and created a square barrier near a corner. Suddenly, a beam of aether appeared out of nowhere and struck it, shocking almost everyone present at not only the suddenness, but the use of aether and no indication at all that it was done.

“Teach us,” Alexandra said, stars in her eyes. “Your control of aether alone is revolutionary. If not for your age, I would immediately request you become an instructor. Even then... an exception could be made.”

Kye sighed. “I do not yet understand why the people in this world have so much trouble controlling it.”

They are so good at mana, but why not aether?

“It’s easy to understand why people in most worlds have trouble with it, what with their short lifespans of roughly a hundred years, but the lot of you are long lived. I’ll need some time to discover why before I can offer any guidance with that. I already have a project on my plate that I want to complete first, but that might give me some insight as well.”

“What is it?” Layla asked.

“Louise Chevalier has consulted with me on over-enchanting. She has become quite good at enchanting manasteel, but her over-enchanting failures result in metal dust, rather than an unusable brick of aethersteel.”

“That’s what happens when I try as well,” said Kolodka.

“Same here,” said Rebekka.

“Hmm...” Kye thought about it for a moment and decided to ask for all of their results via NeuraPhone. “Once I solve this problem, I will formally move on to the next. I would rather not bog myself down with several at once. If I may move at my own pace, I can assure you I will improve this world. After all, it would be unwise to unload too much at once. I’ve seen what happens when a world gains too much advancement in a short period.”

“Well said.” “I agree.”

“I have no objections,” Alexandra said. With no founders objecting, the younger members agreed without a fuss. After that, they allowed Kye’s group to return to the academy with both Astraia and Astarte escorting them this time.

Once they were back in the academy, Astraia popped an unusual question out of the blue. “Kye, Alethea, would you two mind at all if I formally became your retainer?”

“Wh-wh-what?” Alethea stuttered.

“Uh...” Kye was just as surprised.

“Please!”

“I ask the same,” Astarte added.

“Huh?!” Alethea stepped back.

“Oh, don’t look so shocked. We want to formally join your retinue so that-”

Suddenly Kye started coughing. Her knees buckled, and she dropped, barely catching herself without hitting the ground. She looked at the hand that covered her mouth in shock. It was covered in blood.

“Shi-chan!” ““Princess!””

Before any of them could do anything, Kye collapsed. Alethea caught her head, but her blonde lover was unconscious.

“SHI-CHAN!!!”

*****

In a black and purple mansion overlooking a purple sea, a black-haired man was meeting with his three subordinates.

“Well, that didn’t turn out how I planned,” Phantom said, showing no sign of anger or frustration. “I sprung that attack on them out of nowhere, and they not only fought fiercely, but were even able to win. What of the plans for the field trip? Are they still possible?”

“Yes, my lord,” Elliot said. “I will be attending as a chaperone.”

“Good.” Phantom tensed up as he considered the possibilities. “Perhaps I should not have tested them the way I did. I fear the royals may change things too much. Oh well, what’s done is done. I thoroughly enjoyed the show and seeing them tense up when I introduced myself was amusing. Elliot, do what you can. If it cannot be done this year, then ensure it can be done next year. It’s a trivial amount of time, either way, so you may handle it as you please.”

“Thank you, my lord. I will see it done.”

Phantom created a portal allowing Elliot to return to the academy. Phantom turned his gaze to the woman in the room.

“Amelia, I would like to eat on your planet this evening.”

“Yes, my lord.”

*****

Revision: 11-30-2023

3