Ch10 Eighteenth Birthday, P4
57 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 10: Eighteenth Birthday (4)

~10.4~

*****

“If we understand the technique correctly, that’s five hundred thousand seconds you spent channeling,” Allison said. Even her face was riddled with surprise. “That’s almost three hundred and fifty hours. You spent that much time in only a few minutes? And you were using Aether Drive throughout?”

Kye hesitantly nodded. “Yes.”

“It didn’t occur to you that such a thing would be harmful?” Astarte asked.

“No, in fact, it didn’t. I didn’t have the spare mental capacity to spend on anything other than fighting. The calculations alone are ungodly complicated, and I had to use them in live combat. Mortal minds cannot experience time in two dimensions simultaneously, so I had to do all of the calculations in real time as I was countering each attack the monster threw at me.”

“So your mind experienced time at the normal pace, but your body went through an extra three hundred and fifty or so hours of time?” Astraia asked.

Kye nodded.

“To answer the initial question,” Alethea said, circling back to the main topic, “yes, I knew it would harm her. But I didn’t know that this particular fact would be within her sealed memories. In other words, I didn’t know that she didn’t know.”

“I see,” Atlante replied. She sighed and added, “We can discuss the repercussions of the technique in detail another time, but for now, let’s talk about not using it. What are alternatives?”

“Overdrive.” They all looked at Kye. “But that is no more healthy of a technique, so you probably want me to avoid using it, too.”

“What does it do?” Layla asked.

“A variety of things all at once. In short, it’s bad for mortals. It could render us unable to channel mana for months.”

“Bad. Don’t use.”

“Agreed,” said Atalante. “What else?”

Kye shifted her eyes to Alethea. “There are not really any safe ways for us to fight at a high level, other than what we’ve been doing for years… train our bodies.” She turned back to Atalante. “I could force out as much mana as I want. For a short period of time, I could wield my full power and kill every one of you as if you were helpless. Want to take a guess what would happen to me if I used such power?”

“Your body would fail not a moment later,” Allison said. “You would die, too.”

“Correct!” Kye then held out a hand and formed a ball of mana that warped into a variety of weird shapes. The mana turned silvery white. “This is another way I can kill myself. Origin magic is not governed by the system, and it will expel anything wielding it.”

“Are you not wielding it now?” Layla jumped up, worried.

Kye shook her head. “It’s just illusion magic. I’m only showing you, not casting it. With this power, I can do so much more. But, alas, it would not only cost me my life, but I would never be able to return here. Just as I can never return to the world of Shiori Sakaguchi. Since I casted Reorigination there, the system expelled my soul from that world. It may be possible to get around that, but if there is a way, it’s locked within my sealed memories. Alethea?”

She shook her head. “There’s no way around it, as far as I know.”

“Let’s just focus on keeping the two of you alive,” Astraia said with an apologetic, yet serious, smile. “We can call another council meeting and discuss more details about this Shiro person then. But before that…” She held out her hand, and a katana appeared out of nowhere. Its saya had yellow accents and cloth, and the tsuka was wrapped in the same yellow. She gestured for Kye to take it.

“What are you suggesting?” Kye asked. She didn’t reach for the sword. “This isn’t something to simply assume. You have to be clear.”

“Take my blade. Become my wielder.” She had no hesitation in her words or on her face. “If it is to protect you, I agree to this.”

Astarte formed her blade and gestured at Alethea. “I will do the same. For the sake of your protection, I agree to become your blade.”

“Astraia?” Atalante was taken aback. “After everything…”

Kye looked between them. Astraia didn’t as much as turn her eyes. “There’s more to this?”

“If you accept my blade, you’ll know soon enough. Given how important both of you are, we need an answer right away. You should be familiar with what it takes to bond a soul weapon.”

“It’s an involved process, so I agree we should do this asap,” Kye said. “But are you certain? You will learn things that mortals should not know if you bond with either of us. Things you cannot speak of no matter what.”

“This is a decision I do not make lightly. It is one I have been considering for many years, since I began frequenting your household when you were eight. Every day I spent with you, cooking for you, making milkshakes for you, all the things any child should have growing up.” A tear rolled down each side of her face.

Kye reached out her hand, not for Astraia’s blade, but for her hand. “You made sure we didn’t miss out on the fun part of childhood.” She smiled. “You… Kari…”

“I don’t mean to interrupt this part, but there’s something else to consider,” Layla said, eyeing Kye. “Would they become like you if you bonded with them?”

“That’s also a good question,” Kye said. “If we do this, you may not be able to remain in this world when we leave. In short, it’s not certain. It depends on what Eve allows. If she doesn’t allow you to remain here, then you would have two choices. You either become transmigrators or die.”

“That’s no different than being prepared to die,” Astarte said. “It changes nothing, as far as I’m concerned. We’ve lived here for over ten million years and I will not stand idly while some miscreant from another world threatens everything. If my life is required to keep our world safe, then I will give it with no hesitation.”

“I expected you’d say as much,” Astraia replied. “Kye? Alethea? What are your thoughts? Do you have any misgivings about bonding with us?”

Kye shook her head. “If you are prepared for and accept the consequences, then I have no misgivings.”

Alethea agreed with a nod.

“Then let us begin immediately,” Astarte said.

The two girls nodded and accepted the green and yellow adorned blades. As soon as the weapons left Astarte’s and Astraia’s hands, their bodies disappeared.

“We’ll leave you to it,” Layla said.

Allison glanced between Liliana and Aliana. “Do not disturb them for any reason and do not allow anyone inside this room. I will be sealing the room with the strongest defensive spell I can cast when we leave so that none can interrupt them. The barrier will remain until you open the door or I dispel it.”

“Understood.”

“Call me when they are done,” Layla added. “I’ll remain outside.”

“I will remain outside as well,” said Atalante.

“James, help me set up the council meeting?” Allison asked. He nodded, and they left.

Kye and Alethea were already sitting with the weapons on their laps. Their eyes were closed and their bodies relaxed, as if sleeping. Layla and Atalante exchanged glances with Liliana and Aliana. The two attendants curtsied and stood next to their charges. Satisfied, the last of the elders left the room.

*****

Revision: 1-5-2024

2